Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Soft Part WIP (First kit)

• 7 Replies

nobos

• Needs more tape....
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Soft Part WIP (First kit)
« on: Aug 09, 2020, 10:56 PM »
Hello Vod!

Having a few soft parts lying around already, I've decided to start my kit construction with a soft parts WIP thread, joined by a single question regarding boots.

Starting with the gloves:

Choices of belts: the brown one would be my preferred choice if allowed (old shoulder strap from tote bag that fits just right and good coloring). Black one is the sith belt from Galaxies Edge if the brown one doesn't fly

Boots:  Got a good price for a pair of boots online! Unfortunately, I didn't see there was a hard-to-conceal heat stamp until they arrived.  :-[

Now for the quesition/conundrum: Should I/can I use boots approved from another LFL approved group already in hand, order a new pair, or bite the bullet and find a way to conceal with some heel armor?

Option 1: Here are the images of the boots I have had for the past 2 years. These are boots for my Saberguild approved sith. As evidenced by the photos, all the shiny bits will be concealed by my jumpsuit (Not my jumpsuit in the photos, but as the jumpsuit is the same brand and color, I used a pair of black Dickies pants I had on hand here).  This would be my first choice as they cost nothing and already have some natural wear on them. Just wish I remembered I had these earlier (it's been a while since my last troop)!

Here they are uncovered for reference (along with my blurry doggo for scale)

Option 2: If the first option is out of the question, here are another pair boots I have had my eye on (with a heat stamp that can be more easily concealed than my current pair)

Option 3:I also could just mod the current ones, but everything I've found on researching heat stamp removal seems to be a resounding "DON'T DO IT!".  In terms of concealing, I won't ask how to do the heel armor, and will gladly do it if it's the recommended option, but I'd say this would be the least preferred option.

Feel free to leave any feedback or input, or let me know if you have any questions of your own! Thanks for taking the time to review this!

« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2020, 11:07 PM by nobos » Logged

Kurz

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
Re: Soft Part WIP (First kit)
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2020, 04:32 AM »
I'm not OM, but all your solutions seem good to me. Guess sith boots are good to go once you can't tell they're sith

OM #2524
Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #133
Oribru Akaata (Emergency Battalion) #31
M.V.S. #89
L.O.B. #66

nobos

• Needs more tape....
« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2020, 07:37 PM »
 OM or not, I thank you for your feedback either way! My game plan with these boots is to just go with untucked pant legs on my jumpsuit and let them conceal the Sith "greeblies", if you will. Of course pant legs rise and fall, so if they end up peeking out whenever I move, I'll see if I can get creative with boot armor velcro fastening.

LearRigh

• Ka'ramiit
« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2020, 10:38 PM »
Nothing on those boots specifically screams "sith" to me, but I'm new to costuming.  They look really good, and you could easily cover the shiny buckles (not that you need to AFAIK) with a wrap of cloth.

Cabur Akaata #200

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 2020, 03:34 PM »
I think the sith boots have a great look to them. As above, I don't think they look particularly "Sith" that anyone's going to comment on it. And there's a lot to be said for broken-in boots that fit well and can be used often. Saves money, leaves you more comfortable.

nobos

• Needs more tape....
« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2020, 11:49 PM »
Greetings Vod!

Sorry for the extended silence on my WIP thread here, life's been keeping me busy and haven't had a lot to update on until now. I've made some small necessary adjustments and received a few new additions to the costume, with a few more on the way (girth belt will be here soon, and getting the weapons 3d printed). Here's a shot of what I have as of now!

Jumpsuit is good to go, with pockets on the seat of the pants area removed, as well as all visible logos.  Pouches were one of the new arrivals (see below). I've strung the pouches along my bag strap belt to give it a sturdiness test. Didn't completely droop, but it didn't feel comfortable either. As for my Sith/SG belt, it was my hope to get some dual functionality out of it, but if it's coming to matching the weathering, then best not risk it (should of got into this sooner, as Galaxy's edge was selling these for $60 a pop. Could of bought a brown one and weathered it). With that, I'm considering getting the brown Legendary Costume Works leather belt pictured below, then giving it the necessary weathering treatment.

Also busting my hump to finish sewing my neck seal and flak vest (I've learning how to sew and making good progress), but hope to have those done next (both are the armorer patterns from Sionnach studios, in case anyone's wondering). After that, then the armoring and painting begin (hopefully)!  I've got a feeling this is where my questions will come in, and I certainly won't hesitate to ask  when the time comes!

As always, please don't hesitate with any feedback or input! All the feedback I've received thus far has been super helpful and is greatly appreciated!  :like:

reguillet

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2020, 04:27 AM »
In my experience, any “Jedi looking” belts are scrutinized heavily. And I typically try to match my belt and boots (however this is not a rule)

nobos

• Needs more tape....
« Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2020, 12:54 PM »
That's good to know reguillet. I want to make my application process as smooth as possible for my first application, so I'll probably want to avoid the "heavily scrutinized" for now.

Matching makes sense, especially when working with such a variety of colors for armor in the first place. I've already got black boots, and now that I think about it, I have some black leather laying around somewhere. I just gotta muster up the energy to dig. Find that, give it a little weather and I'll be in business.

Thanks for the feedback!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!