Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Question about kamas

• 11 Replies
Question about kamas
« on: Oct 14, 2020, 09:29 PM »
I am currently in the process of creating my own armor and want to make my own kama and loincloth but I'm unsure of what material would work best for it. Any suggestions?

jethroskull

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
Re: Question about kamas
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2020, 10:14 PM »
I used the same cloth as my vest. Good weight and it matches!

Kurz

« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2020, 05:02 AM »
I don't think there is a standard. You have to see what works with your kit. But I would choose something that match your color scheme and has some weight (as jethroskull said). I looked into (i don't know the name in English) the fabric used for forniture (like sofas etc.) it usually has good weight and an interesting texture.

OM #2524
Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #133
Oribru Akaata (Emergency Battalion) #31
M.V.S. #89
L.O.B. #66
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2020, 07:55 AM »
I think what Kurz is trying to say is Pleather, its a sort of leathery fabric, comes in a few different colors. You can probably get any color you want from joannes, but I got some black pleather from my local walmart for something like 8 bucks for a bit more than a square yard, more than enough for my kama.

Kurz

« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2020, 10:18 AM »
I think what Kurz is trying to say is Pleather, its a sort of leathery fabric, comes in a few different colors. You can probably get any color you want from joannes, but I got some black pleather from my local walmart for something like 8 bucks for a bit more than a square yard, more than enough for my kama.
No, it's not pleather, it's just normal fabric but thicker, heavier and usually with a rough texture.

OM #2524
Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #133
Oribru Akaata (Emergency Battalion) #31
M.V.S. #89
L.O.B. #66
« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2020, 10:46 AM »
Just looked it up, and it might be polyester or something like that. There's lots of different materials companies use for upholstery, but I find pleather perfectly fine, and easy to get at homedepot, IDK how easy it is to get the mystery material your thinking of.

Arminius

« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2020, 11:55 AM »
I think Kurz is talking about duck cloth which is a heavy cotton fabric similar to canvas. That being said I would recommend a more leathery material like synthetic leather instead. I just bought some for my flak vest and I'll eventually make a kama too with the same material.

The strongest stars have hearts of kyber, but the strongest warriors have hearts of beskar.

jethroskull

« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2020, 12:29 PM »
Woven upholstery fabric is usually very heavy-weight, possibly more than you need.  Pleather and other vinyls work but can get HOT quickly.
I used 12 & 15-ounce canvas for my vest, kama, loin, and poncho; 10-ounce duck for arm and leg wraps. It all depends on the look you wish to attain. Mine is influenced by the Tatooine desert, so, lot's of canvas...

« Reply #8 on: Oct 15, 2020, 01:11 PM »
I think Kurz is talking about duck cloth which is a heavy cotton fabric similar to canvas. That being said I would recommend a more leathery material like synthetic leather instead. I just bought some for my flak vest and I'll eventually make a kama too with the same material.
I was thinking about using a synthetic leather but how easy is it to paint on? I have a custom design that I want on my loincloth but I have never attempted to use paint on synthetic leather.

« Reply #9 on: Oct 15, 2020, 01:44 PM »
I wouldn't know, I've never tried painting my Pleather, but it looks like its somewhat easy based on multiple tutorials I've seen. You just need to clean off the pleather with something like acetone, it makes it easier for the paint to adhere or something, then do multiple thin coats of acrylic paint.

Arminius

« Reply #10 on: Oct 15, 2020, 02:02 PM »
I was thinking of making a blank kama with no paintings so I wouldn't know either, but if you have the right kind of paints for pleather it shouldn't be much of a problem. Just make sure you have a clean surface so the paint sticks properly.

The strongest stars have hearts of kyber, but the strongest warriors have hearts of beskar.

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #11 on: Oct 15, 2020, 06:28 PM »
I don't think there is a standard. You have to see what works with your kit. But I would choose something that match your color scheme and has some weight (as jethroskull said). I looked into (i don't know the name in English) the fabric used for forniture (like sofas etc.) it usually has good weight and an interesting texture.

Upholstery fabrics.  They do tend to have more weight than garment fabrics.

I was thinking about using a synthetic leather but how easy is it to paint on? I have a custom design that I want on my loincloth but I have never attempted to use paint on synthetic leather.

If you're going to paint, use REAL leather (you could get a kama and loincloth done with two sheepskins for a total of about $70.  Search Reed Leather on Amazon).  Something in pleather inhibits enamel paint curing, so you'd have to use acrylic, which doesn't really have much 'grip', so it'll flake off fairly quickly.

However, hand-embroidering a design isn't too difficult, at least if it's only the outline.  The below example is sheepskin, with craft foam inner, and duck backing.  The ribs and mythosaur outline are hand sewn and drawn tight (with nylon heavy duty thread).  The craft foam is only to give it some 'squish' so the shoulder tab pictured ends up with an embossed look.  If you're just going for the design, you don't need the embossed look or the added stiffness from the foam, and without the foam you don't need the duck backing.

It does take a LOT of time with a needle and thread.  The tab pictured took me the whole day (and the matching tab on the other side took another day), so it'd be something to do on a day off while you're sitting around with little else to do.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!