Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mavik Arctic Helmet

• 15 Replies

Mavik

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Mavik Arctic Helmet
« on: Jun 11, 2020, 12:51 AM »
I got my new helmet in and got to work painting it unfortunately I didn't document many of the stages of it up to the point it is now.

Base paints

Jaig eyes

Added detailing

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
Re: Mavik Arctic Helmet
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2020, 11:18 AM »
Looking good!

Ruus bal'Neta

• "Family is more than blood. This is the way."
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018
« Reply #2 on: Jun 12, 2020, 01:25 PM »
Clean line work. I like it.

Mavik

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2020, 11:16 PM »
I got some more work done this weekend. put Chicago screws into the ear caps to mount them and used some leather pieces  to help the screws get a better hold with the uneven surface of the resin inside the helmet. I also added a brass screen behind the vents for a bit of added detail.

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
« Reply #4 on: Jun 21, 2020, 10:05 AM »
Those keyslots look amazing. The clean paint lines are wonderful.

Ruus bal'Neta

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018
« Reply #5 on: Jun 23, 2020, 12:06 PM »
I like the idea of using leather as a washer for the Chicago screws. A lot easier than trying to find the right size and thickness washer plus you get that sweet leather scent inside your helmet.

Mavik

« Reply #6 on: Jun 23, 2020, 01:01 PM »
I like the idea of using leather as a washer for the Chicago screws. A lot easier than trying to find the right size and thickness washer plus you get that sweet leather scent inside your helmet.

My original thought was felt washers but this is something I had on hand. It inspired me to try and do a full leather lining once everything else is sorted out.

« Reply #7 on: Jun 26, 2020, 11:42 PM »
The leather also provides a nice seal against the screw and helps fill in any gaps between the screw head and helmet, itll also cut down on any noise from the screw shifting and wont chew up the helm

0_0

Kol Var'Das

• Beanpole
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #8 on: Jun 30, 2020, 05:30 PM »
Haven't seen one of these Mynock G.Is in the wild yet, this one's gonna look great when it's all done!

« Reply #9 on: Jul 02, 2020, 12:15 PM »
Looks amazing!! Such clean lines.

Mavik

« Reply #10 on: Jul 07, 2020, 12:34 AM »
I got the weathering done today, I started with some acrylic washes and then used some air brush weathering. The first brown I used was way to dark so I had to bring it back a bit with some lighter colors. After the washes and airbrush everything was still a bit too uniform so I used some oil paints to put some grime in the corners to help add some definition.  It has been a fun challenge to show age and wear without the typical chipping and exposed metal that I have done on all the builds in the past.

These are pre-oil weathering

After oil weathering

My next step will be aligning the ear caps a bit better and mounting the visor. I also need to fix the small over cut on the right visor section.

« Reply #11 on: Jul 07, 2020, 07:52 AM »
Another cool weathering you could do is add a layer of frost on it

0_0

Mavik

« Reply #12 on: Jul 07, 2020, 01:47 PM »
Another cool weathering you could do is add a layer of frost on it

That would look neat. I would probably give it a shot if this were a static display. For my armor I like to go with the type of damage and wear that would stick with an item whenever you were to take it into different places . Things like sun damage, grime stuck in the corners, and general use. Since it is an arctic kit I do want it to look like it was put together for and used in a tundra like environment for a long time. However more often than not I will be trooping it in warmer weather and don't necessarily want a permafrost look to it. I do think it could be a very cool look for mando armor though.

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
« Reply #13 on: Jul 07, 2020, 02:25 PM »
That’s looking really nice :)

Ruus bal'Neta

« Reply #14 on: Jul 07, 2020, 04:36 PM »
I mean, its all right I guess. If you like really cleanly applied paint and weathering that is even and blends well. ;)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!