Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Custom WIP (1st build)

• 17 Replies
Custom WIP (1st build)
« on: Jun 20, 2020, 11:28 AM »
Here's a few pics from my planned build. Really doing this just to do something different. As of right now I plan on making all soft parts myself, but the armor pieces are all from various makers.

Quick concept drawing. Mainly bare beskar with a brass like coating around the visor and on the gauntlets.

GI helmet from Mynock's Den. I got in touch with DAZ from boba maker and he's sending me his ear cap system he makes for his Din Djarin helmets.

Started modifying and realized the cutting wheel was too small causing the shaft to rub down the visor edges. I'll go back and clean everything up later when I finish cutting out the visor.

And some pauldrons I got. I'll be sanding and filling these until the 3d printing lines are gone.

Test fit of the pauldrons and helmet to make sure the sizing matches my body type.

I'll try and update regularly, I don't have the luxury of quarantine time since I'm working even more hours do to less people at my job. Feedback is awesome, though I'm not going for an "approved build", at least not right now. I am however, going to keep this as Star Wars as I can.

Re: Custom WIP (1st build)
« Reply #1 on: Jun 20, 2020, 10:12 PM »
Hey there I was just curious how long it took your helmet to get through customs. I ordered a gunslinger and it's been stuck since the 5th of June

« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2020, 12:47 PM »
Hey there I was just curious how long it took your helmet to get through customs. I ordered a gunslinger and it's been stuck since the 5th of June

About a month. I ordered mine back in Feb and it arrived almost exactly a month later. It was around the time MD announced their honeymoon was cancelled due to covid. Its a high quality helmet so it's worth it in the end, but yeah international shipping is almost at a standstill right now.

« Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2020, 10:56 PM »
About a month. I ordered mine back in Feb and it arrived almost exactly a month later. It was around the time MD announced their honeymoon was cancelled due to covid. Its a high quality helmet so it's worth it in the end, but yeah international shipping is almost at a standstill right now.
It arrived out of the blue today I had checked the tracking info on Saturday nothing new and it arrived today Etsy is still saying in transit but Canada post and USPS are more accurate somehow.

« Reply #4 on: Jun 24, 2020, 11:27 AM »
It arrived out of the blue today I had checked the tracking info on Saturday nothing new and it arrived today Etsy is still saying in transit but Canada post and USPS are more accurate somehow.

Nice, hope you like it as much as I like mine.

« Reply #5 on: Jun 24, 2020, 11:58 AM »
Right now I'm running some chroming techniques with Alclad 2 on a test helmet (the one in my current profile pic) while I wait on everything to arrive from vendors. Trying the same method LadyInWhite posted in the whitearmor forums for her Captain Phasma costume. Cheaper than Alumaluster.

« Reply #6 on: Jun 24, 2020, 10:34 PM »
Nice, hope you like it as much as I like mine.
I like it a lot but unfortunately I somehow measured my head wrong and lost 1.75" some where and it doesn't fit  :-[

« Reply #7 on: Jun 30, 2020, 10:14 AM »
I like it a lot but unfortunately I somehow measured my head wrong and lost 1.75" some where and it doesn't fit  :-[

Noooooo, man that sucks. Have you figured out what you're gonna do?

« Reply #8 on: Jun 30, 2020, 10:26 AM »
Quick update again. The chest came in yesterday from Poland, I liked this take on the separated plates. It pulls from Din's beskar plates only separate like the OG plates.

Ruus bal'Neta

• "Family is more than blood. This is the way."
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018
« Reply #9 on: Jun 30, 2020, 11:20 AM »
When you get a chance post a picture with those new plates taped on you so we can make sure they fit your right. 3D printed material is a lot harder to shape and tweak to get the right fit.

« Reply #10 on: Jun 30, 2020, 12:32 PM »
When you get a chance post a picture with those new plates taped on you so we can make sure they fit your right. 3D printed material is a lot harder to shape and tweak to get the right fit.

Yeah that's no problem. I know i'm not going for a MMC approval, but feedback like I mentioned in the beginning is appreciated. Off the top of my head I believe it is proportionate to my body, the abdomen plate sits at my navel when spaced evenly which from wearing body armor in the military I prefer, but that's also where I plan to have the vest stop at. I know it's shorter than someone going for an OG approval but I plan on making soft armor more akin to The Mandalorian. I like to think of it as a transitional build, almost bridging the two eras.

Ruus bal'Neta

• "Family is more than blood. This is the way."
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018
« Reply #11 on: Jul 01, 2020, 01:30 PM »
We still want you to look your best whether an official member or not. And this is good practice for when you decide to build an official kit, and we all decide to build an official kit after building a "fun" one :D

My concern with the 3D plates is the shaping of them. The fangs should be in close to the sides of your chest so they aren't floating. Getting 3D prints to bend like that if you need to adjust them can be difficult.

Looking forward to seeing how these look on you.

« Reply #12 on: Jul 02, 2020, 10:16 AM »
Yeah I figured seasoned mando costumers would have good advice. When I first checked the fangs seem to hug my body, with correct spacing the plates stopped at the pocket in my shoulder which is good. But i'll make sure to snap a quick photo so everyone can see. I should have time this weekend since I'll actually have time off for once lol

« Reply #13 on: Jul 03, 2020, 11:02 AM »
Test fitting, I realized after the first picture that the plates are too high, I'm accustomed to wearing real armor up higher near my collar bones. So this morning I took a second picture with the plates lower. I'm thinking vest straps with exposed collar like Gar Saxon in CW Season 7 which is why I'm not using the collar plates. And I've added a picture of Din in his beskar armor.

Jenga Feet

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #14 on: Jul 03, 2020, 01:34 PM »
Question:

Are you going for modern or the new post imperial era? If you're doing post imperial, the chest plates will need to be connected like in The Mandalorian. If modern, you're spacing is allowed but you'll need to add a collar plate  :D

Great job with the prints so far!

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 36

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!