Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Leather Belt Pouches for First Build

• 9 Replies

Aran Skirata

• Ori'haat
Leather Belt Pouches for First Build
« on: Apr 28, 2020, 12:08 AM »
I posted this in my WIP thread, but I figured it might have more visibility here.

So because I hate myself I guess, I have 3 different colors of pouches for my belt that I would like to make the same color.

Because pouch 1 is an actual antique camera case, I'd like the other 3 to match it, and It's probably easier to weather and dye than it is to unweather something.
So does anyone have any experience dying leather?
I'm considering a few different methods right now. We've got:
- Wax Burning
- Tea Soaking
- Coffee Soaking
- Leaving Them Out In The Sun
- Actually Buying Leather Dye
I also have this pleather that I'm making hip holsters out of, that after some weathering and a light brown-wash, I'm pretty confident will resemble the camera case.

So that's what I'm working with for now. I'd prefer options that don't require waiting on Amazon even more than I already am, but I'll do what I gotta do. 

This is the way.

Kurz

Re: Leather Belt Pouches for First Build
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2020, 04:45 AM »
I made myself my leather soft parts, but I'm not a pro. I think that the "natural" methods (sun, tea, coffee) will not be enough, because the camera case is a very dark brown (or even black? I can't tell with my phone screen). Wax can do the trick dipending on how the other pouches are finished. But I guess your best shot is using dye. And I would use the same finish on all the pouches.

Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #133
Oribru Akaata (Emergency Battalion) #31
M.V.S. #89
L.O.B. #66

Sov

« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2020, 08:43 AM »
Your main pouch looks to be black with a shinny finish on it, your dark brown does not appear to have any sort of finish on it and the last two do not look as if they have been dyed or stained at all. Now to get them all to look like your main black pouch this is what I would try;
Dark brown pouch- Use some Deglazer on it and then let it dry completely. Then use USMC Black leather Dye to dye it black. Finish it with Leather Balm with Atom Wax. the Leather Balm will seal it and give it a nice shine.
Other two pouches-Dye them with the USMC Black and seal with the Leather Balm. If they have already been dyed and sealed use the deglazer on them also first.
I used to work for a very popular leather store, and those would be my suggestions if you came in and showed me some pictures. I cannot guarantee they will all look the same but this should get them close. 

Cabur Akaata #194

Aran Skirata

• Ori'haat
« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2020, 02:03 PM »
Thanks, Kurz and Sov! I'll definitely be going with the USMC black dye for the lot, and thanks for the product recommendations.

« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2020, 02:41 PM by Aran Skirata » Logged
This is the way.

Aran Skirata

• Ori'haat
« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2020, 02:53 PM »
Any suggestions for application? Some good tutorial videos and whatnot would be nice, as its my first time really working with leather.

This is the way.

Sov

« Reply #5 on: Apr 28, 2020, 05:07 PM »
Any suggestions for application? Some good tutorial videos and whatnot would be nice, as its my first time really working with leather.

When your purchase the dye it will come with dauber (if you buy the small bottle) they are wool I think. Or you can use a soft clean, new sponge. Apply in circular motion just like putting car wax on. If you get the leather balm use a different sponge and get the sponge damp (get it wet and ring it out real good) apply the balm to the sponge then apply it the leather just like applying car wax. Let the balm dry for 10-20 minutes then buff it off with a soft clean rag.

Cabur Akaata #194
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 05:44 PM »
Usmc black is very pigment heavy. After applying the dye and letting it dry, you will want  to buff it eauthet with a boar hair brush or cloth and lots of elbow grease. This will remove the excess which can almost leave a buck dust that will get all over anything. (I know from personal experience and it's part of my day job.) Then do the leather balm steps.

Aran Skirata

• Ori'haat
« Reply #7 on: Jul 05, 2020, 08:12 PM »
It's been forever but I finally did it! Here is the finished belt.

This is the way.

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir

Sov

« Reply #9 on: Jul 10, 2020, 08:23 PM »
It's been forever but I finally did it! Here is the finished belt.

I am glad to see these turned out so well. Nicely done.

Cabur Akaata #194

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!