Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Helmet WIP

• 15 Replies
First Helmet WIP
« on: Jul 01, 2020, 05:29 PM »
Hey everyone, I finally found some time (and a little money) to start working on my first armor build. I figured I would start with the helmet and I didn't have the time to build one from scratch so I figured the most efficient way for me would be to buy a 3D print. I bought this helmet from VillainousPropShop on Etsy and was very satisfied with it when I received it, the next step is to buy filler primer and to start priming/sanding! Excited to start this journey!

Re: First Helmet WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2020, 11:27 AM »
Looks like a good print, happy sanding.

Jono999DERP

• Tahl Ca'Tra
« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2020, 03:14 PM »
ah, the easy life. I wish i had a 3d printer. I cant wait to see the finished project!

Modern Era Pilot
« Reply #3 on: Jul 06, 2020, 02:58 PM »
I put several coats of filler primer on it over the weekend and wore out a couple of sheets of sandpaper, I'm slowly making some progress!

« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2020, 06:17 PM »
Any tips for smoothing out/filling in the print lines on the smaller details? I have a needle file set and it's helping a little but I can't get it in the smaller spaces.

Aselo Kaig

• Aselo Kaig
« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2020, 11:36 PM »
A drummel with a sanding tip will work

« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2020, 06:22 PM »
I finished sanding my bucket and used a Dremel to get the smaller details per Aselo Kaig's advice.
A drummel with a sanding tip will work

I coated the inside with several coats of plasti-dip and put a couple of layers of flat black on the exterior in preparation to start painting my final colors, I'll continue to post updates as I move forward! 

Aselo Kaig

• Aselo Kaig
« Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2020, 11:34 PM »
That looks amazing vod!!!!  Keep up the good work!!

« Reply #8 on: Jul 15, 2020, 03:07 PM »
I put a few layers of paint on my bucket over the last few days and have been working on weathering it now, I'm getting pretty close to finishing the exterior and I'm waiting on some more materials to come in the mail to finish the interior. Any tips are appreciated!

Jono999DERP

• Tahl Ca'Tra
« Reply #9 on: Jul 16, 2020, 10:17 AM »
maybe add some kind of carbon scoring? like burnt steel in some spot as if a blast ricocheted. looks awesome!

Modern Era Pilot

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
« Reply #10 on: Jul 25, 2020, 08:25 PM »
Agree on the scoring. Also, is the left side (when facing the helmet) less dirty? It looks in the picture like it might need a touch more of a blackwash to grime it up a bit.

« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2020, 12:14 PM »
I took a long break from working on my bucket while I finished my last semester of college (woohoo for graduating!), after reading other posts and re-examining my bucket, I've decided to repaint my whole bucket. I like the color scheme I have but I want something that's not as shiny (any recommendations on paint is appreciated), I also need to know the best way to remove the paint and get it ready for a new coat, do I need to just sand it real well and prime it again? Thanks for any recommendations or advice!

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2021, 05:56 PM »
bump

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 07:46 PM »
Pretty much. Personally, I like it as it is.

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2021, 09:49 AM »
I've made some progress on repainting my bucket, I like this color scheme (black, red, blue, yellow) but once I got the red painted I'm debating whether or not to keep it as it is (it kinda has a Darth Revan vibe :8):). I'll attach a photo of what I was originally thinking, let me know if you think that all 4 colors would be too much.

Red and Blue would be the main colors on the armor, my jumpsuit will be black and my flak vest will be charcoal grey, I would have very small yellow accents (maybe some stripes on the corners?)

I have several different shades of blue, I haven't decided if I'll even use it honestly

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2021, 02:18 PM »
I decided to go ahead and paint the blue on my helmet and I'm pleased with the outcome! I still need to add some weathering and complete the interior (padding, electronics, etc...) but I am definitely making some progress!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!