Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Mando - Cybernetic Post-Imperial

• 22 Replies

vershnekit

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
First Mando - Cybernetic Post-Imperial
« on: Jul 19, 2020, 10:44 PM »
Hi everyone,

Working on a concept for my first Mando. I recently zeroed in on an idea as a mercenary for a crime lord. Lallani is one that is obscurely mentioned and what is mentioned specifically states that she has Mandalorian mercs on her payroll. I originally intended to build with the idea of joining the sniper/recon brigade but say my armor ideas probably wouldn't make the light armor cut. Thoughts?

ARMOR, Please forgive the sketches, free hand is not a strength of mine.

- I am guessing the armor is light-to-medium, considering the thigh plates.
- I'd also like to add either a lip/decapitation guard on the right shoulder pad or, suggested as a possible option, adding an additional plate over top the shoulder bell and collar. Maybe as part of the backpack/jetpack strap? I added a bicep plate on the same side for the moment.

- I have a prosthetic on my left leg which will require some modification of the boots and pants, once they are tapered to standards, to get them on that leg. I thought I could use leather gaiters (I incorrectly wrote spats in the picture) to hide the zippers and make the character appear prepared to get dirty.

WEAPONS & ACCESSORIES

- Above is a picture for a carbine with an extendable barrel. I originally designed it for a sniper/recon idea and based the stock off of Edrio 'two-tubes'. I would keep the barrel concept but change the rest.
- I would plan to have at least one pistol and a vibroblade
- I want to add a jetpack but haven't figured out the design. My thought is to model it off a combination of the Rocketeer's & Sabine's jetpacks but with more square sides to allow the carbine to snap in place, magnet/clip-on(?).
- I definitely want gauntlet attachments/gadgets...just don't know which.

COLOR SCHEME
My girlfriend painted me this picture. I am considering using it as basis for my color scheme. It isn't a "camo" per say, I just enjoy how she blended the background colors. I am not using the actual mudhorn symbol.
- in addition, the left shoulder would probably be solid with Mandalorian Krybes as an homage to Boba Fett, if that is allowed.

« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2020, 07:37 PM by vershnekit » Logged

vershnekit

Re: First Mando - Cybernetic Sniper
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2020, 08:45 PM »
Had a change of mind and decided to return to my original thought of a Sniper/Recon type. Below is a color test after adding a cybernetic leg. I personally have a prosthetic and thought it would be neat to bring it into the character. I figure he lost his leg during a battle and the best thing they had to replace it quickly was the leg from an enemy droid.

vershnekit

« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2020, 10:24 PM »
For the moment I am happy with the basic look, but I have some other ideas
- Adding a "gold" Neo-crusader shoulder on one side as a piece of armor passed down through the family.
- Changing the color of the cybernetic/protocol droid leg or making a completely custom one
- Switching from the standard Fett helmet to the NME stalker...I keep going back and forth. Anyone have an opinion?

As mentioned in a previous post, I am building with sniper/recon in mind. I have put together a list of items that would meet the requirements of both to keep my build on track. Below is the list that I am working with. Any thoughts or recommendations are always appreciated.

Primary weapon
•   Bullpup carbine with scope and extendable barrel

Additional weaponry
•   Holstered sidearm
•   Hold-out blaster
•   Vibroblade, medium-sized

Primary Accessories:
•   Macro/electrobinoculars
•   Rangefinder
•   Weapon reloads [one per ranged]
•   Pouches for supplies [minimum four]
•   Jetpack, low profile

Left Gauntlet Mounts
•   Gauntlet mounted comm-link
-       Hidden blade

Right Gauntlet Mounts
-       Dart launcher
-       ...?

vershnekit

« Reply #3 on: Jul 24, 2020, 09:39 PM »
I keep thinking about the british leg bags that were worn by the soldiers jumping into Normandy and thought it would be a great place for this mando to carry the miscellaneous survival items he'd need on recon. However, instead of making it a laced duffle, I am going to model it off of Rick O'Connell's (Brendan Fraser) Weapons Bag from the Mummy, basically a roll up tool bag. So it will hooked to the belt and around the right thigh for stability, but be removable to have access to the gear when the fighting has calmed.
- Considering my size, the bag can be max 12" wide and maybe 24" in length unfurled. Not huge but enough to carry some supplies.

Jaryn_Xur

• "Death From Above"
« Reply #4 on: Jul 25, 2020, 10:34 AM »
Really liking where you're going with this, especially the droid leg to incorporate your prosthetic. The thigh mounted tool pouch is an awesome idea.

Are you still looking to use the leather gaiters idea? I have a pair from the start of my build that I am no longer going to use.

Look forward to seeing this come together!

My WIP thread: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=234598.0

"Live To Fly, Fly To Live, Aces High!!"

“For the strength of the Clan is the warrior, and the strength of the warrior is the Clan."

Bloodfin Garrison - Nighthawk Flight - TI/IC-4673
Mos Espa Base - Massiff Squadron - Jek Porkins(Red Six)
Mos Espa Base - Temple Arkanis - Jaryn Xur(Jedi Knight)

vershnekit

« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2020, 01:22 PM »
Really liking where you're going with this, especially the droid leg to incorporate your prosthetic. The thigh mounted tool pouch is an awesome idea.

Are you still looking to use the leather gaiters idea? I have a pair from the start of my build that I am no longer going to use.

Look forward to seeing this come together!

Thanks, and I am still planning on the leather gaiters!

3mandos

• "Kebii'tra Verd" #2179
« Reply #6 on: Aug 03, 2020, 11:55 PM »
Looks awesome dude! Can't wait to see your progress!!

vershnekit

Re: First Mando - Cybernetic Post-Imperial
« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2020, 08:11 PM »
Some updates and pictures:

First, I've switched from custom Modern to custom Post-Imperial. That Paz Vizsla chest was calling my name.

Second, Here is a mock of the helmet design. I'm probably going to change the base helmet from modern to PI as well, but this at least gives you an idea of where I am going. I've got this idea of high-altitude paratrooper in my head so fin/ridge with comm equipment and maybe adding a modified brow with extra sensors for atmospheric changes & night jumps.

Third, I've finally made the first alterations to my scrubs-turned-flight suit. The pants are completed, pending any needed changes, and the top still needs the long-sleeves hemmed. I haven't finished the sleeves because I am still thinking about adding thumb loops to keep the sleeves in place.
- The Left pants leg will be hemmed closer to the knee once I make my the cybernetic leg
- Any thoughts on further alterations?

Fourth, I rough sketched the idea for my Flak Vest. The center is gray, side panels in black, and the shoulders in a brown suede to simulate reinforced shoulders for the weight of the armor and jetpack. I'd show you the colored version but I only had crayons at the time ha. I found a pattern to use as my base did my first test run today to see how it fit on my body...much work to do.

vershnekit

« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2020, 07:56 AM »
Finally pulled the trigger on fabric for the chest and back of my flak vest. I feel it has character with the uneven, handwoven look.

I still need to purchase either suede or leather for the shoulders and decide on a fabric for my flank. Below is a fabric I found that I really like, I'm just trying to justify the cost of ordering it from Australia.

« Last Edit: Sep 21, 2020, 08:01 AM by vershnekit » Logged

3mandos

• "Kebii'tra Verd" #2179
« Reply #10 on: Sep 22, 2020, 01:39 AM »
Cool fabrics

vershnekit

« Reply #11 on: Sep 26, 2020, 10:39 PM »
Finally chose my fabrics for the Flak Vest and got to work. The entire back panel is done. Next up is the front panel, sleeves, and closure for the vest. I'm going with a left-sided zipper and may add straps. It will probably be a couple weeks before it is done since I am limited to Saturdays. Until then, here is a sample of the piping separating the Grey back panel from the black stretch sides. All of the pieces are two layers for strength.

Zaroc

• Honneur aux armes - Respect aux maîtres
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Family events Special Weapons Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #12 on: Sep 27, 2020, 03:48 AM »
Love the 3po leg, I have one myself so I can be biased  :p But I have to warn you : it's difficult to walk with it ^^

« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2020, 03:54 AM by Zaroc » Logged
PWS #009 - New Death Watch Order #43 - O.O.P.S. ! #49
Zaroc - Brigade approved as Privateer/Gunslinger
Ogm'a - Archaelorian/Scavenger

vershnekit

« Reply #13 on: Sep 27, 2020, 07:59 PM »
Love the 3po leg, I have one myself so I can be biased  :p But I have to warn you : it's difficult to walk with it ^^

DUDE! Your 3po leg looks awesome. I haven't figured out how I am going to make it yet. Adapting it to a spare prosthetic of mine seems like the easiest option. May I ask, where did you purchase the shin or did you print it?

Zaroc

• Honneur aux armes - Respect aux maîtres
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Family events Special Weapons Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #14 on: Sep 28, 2020, 03:17 AM »
Thanks  :jango:

I printed mine, don't hesitate if I can help you ^^

PWS #009 - New Death Watch Order #43 - O.O.P.S. ! #49
Zaroc - Brigade approved as Privateer/Gunslinger
Ogm'a - Archaelorian/Scavenger

vershnekit

« Reply #15 on: Oct 04, 2020, 09:49 PM »
Below is a picture the latest work on the vest and of the closure zipper & velcro. All I have left is to hem to bottom (by almost 6 inches), hem the shoulders, and decide if I will be adding any sleeve attachments to mount the shoulder armor.

vershnekit

« Reply #16 on: Oct 18, 2020, 10:43 AM »
Updates:
- Flak vest is finished except for hemming the bottom and some minor seem touchups. Below is a length test with my belly button marked by the pink postit. I have ~3/4" play upwards on this picture before I hit the zipper. I'm putting the final length hemming on hold until my waist items are done.

- Speaking of waist items, I picked up this beauty yesterday. It is 7-9oz double shoulder, ~5' at max length. I also purchased some basic tools to get me started. I'll be making my belt, holster, and hopefully a gift belt out of this. I will do my best to document the whole process for posterity but can't promise how enlightening it will be. This is the first time I've touched leather since boy scout camp  :laugh:

- Lastly, I was testing out armor designs the other day. Below is the draft

« Reply #17 on: Nov 02, 2020, 10:44 AM »
This build looks really awesome! Can't wait to see it come together!

~ Just a simple man trying to make his way in the universe ~

vershnekit

« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2020, 09:13 PM »
Long time no post, been busy making presents for the holidays. Three updates:
1) Below is a test imperial code cylinder. I have 8 chalk holders I plan to turn into code cylinders to make a bag of bounty trophies.
2) The fabric it is laying on will be used to make the sash under my belt.

3) In contact with a 3d printer to make my protocol droid shin but probably won't receive it until spring. I've been blessed with some awesome clan members who are helping me and we may make an truly metal shin for my prosthetic.

I'm hoping to have the sash & belt done by the end of January so I can begin working on my armor

vershnekit

« Reply #19 on: Dec 27, 2020, 12:52 AM »

vershnekit

« Reply #20 on: Apr 14, 2021, 10:24 AM »

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #21 on: Apr 14, 2021, 11:57 AM »
I like where this is going!!

Your kit would look fantastic with an earthy toned green for your plates for sure.

Flak vest is also off to a great start. I love the designs that incorporate more than just 1 material. My first one tore so I added leather patches in a fun design to both sides and I really liked it but I ended up making a whole new one instead.

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Arco'thyel Wyshla

• Certified crazy cat mando
« Reply #22 on: Apr 16, 2021, 09:31 PM »
Your flak vest is stunning -- the color blocking and piping look so clean! I'm looking forward to seeing it with the plates.

| Hard Goods WIP | Soft Goods WIP | Planning Log |

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!