Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Don't have a 3-D printer/ putting together 1st kit

• 2 Replies
Don't have a 3-D printer/ putting together 1st kit
« on: Aug 02, 2020, 01:21 AM »
No 3-D printer looking for good sites to get good armor, leather gear and weapon props no clan in my area so got no help right now

Kurz

Re: Don't have a 3-D printer/ putting together 1st kit
« Reply #1 on: Aug 02, 2020, 05:06 AM »
Not having a 3d printer will not stop you. My kit is almost done and I haven't 3d printed a single piece. Have you checked the continuous sales in Mandalorian Supplies here on the forum? You can also think about making your kit yourself instead of buying it.

Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #133
Oribru Akaata (Emergency Battalion) #31
M.V.S. #89
L.O.B. #66

LearRigh

• Jag'ara'naast
Re: Don't have a 3-D printer/ putting together 1st kit
« Reply #2 on: Aug 02, 2020, 08:23 AM »
I'd guess that a majority of MMCC members made most of their armor from scratch.  3D printers are getting more available at reasonable prices, but take up a lot of space and time to learn, calibrate, and use.  Again, I'd guess that most members either don't own one, or own one of the smaller printers.

There are still options though, depending on your resources.
-Time to dedicate to working on your kit
-Space to work on your kit and to keep it while it is unfinished
-Money to pay for supplies and materials
-Skill in working with the chosen medium

I personally don't have a lot of time or space right now, so in the short term I'm buying select pieces from Merchandise Sales as Kurz suggested.  I'm also carefully buying pieces from Etsy.  I purchased my helmet from Etsy on an impulse, and while it turned out OK, I could have ended up paying a lot for a poorly made product.  Look at other member's WIPs, ask them where they got their 3D print pieces from, get recommendations before buying from an Etsy shop. 

If you have time and space to work, but are lacking skill, there are helpful Tutorials to guide you in scratch building.  Again, look at the WIPs of other members, see what they're doing, and ask them questions.  As far as I've seen, all of the Mandalorian Mercs are willing to help a vod in need, and most of us enjoy humble-bragging about our kit :jango:

Finally, it's not a race to finish your kit.  I've read about members who built their kit in a week, and about members who are going on 9 years still working on their first kit.  Go at your own pace.  I frequently get frustrated because I want to be finished NOW, but long work hours, young kids, and a small house do not accommodate that.  "It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop." - Confucius

Helmet WIP // Armor Concept // Soft Parts WIP   Cabur Akaata #200

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!