Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Burt's Build; The Mandalorian V1

• 9 Replies

Burt_

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Burt's Build; The Mandalorian V1
« on: Sep 14, 2020, 05:26 AM »

Burt's Build

I wanted to go through and document my build. I started this in January 2020.

First thing I did was order soft parts from Gwabo Butt on Facebook. I've had issues with custom sizing in the past, so just for my own sake, I ordered a regular 'medium' knowing full well I'd take it to my local tailor to get it sized properly to me.

The first helmet I printed was Rob Pauza's file on myminifactory.

Printed in one piece on a CR-10S, sliced with Simplify3D, with 3Dsolutech 1.75mm PLA. Paint color is Rustoleum Bright Chrome and “sanded” to darken it with a paper towel. Visor is a Hobart replacement welders visor.

This is a really good light weight helmet.

My second Helmet is an L.E Props cast

The quality is magnificent.

I bought this cast since it was one of the best I'd seen, with the full intention to use Screen Accurate paint, Alumaluster.

I've never airbrushed before, so I bought a kit on amazon ($100) + the Alumaluster ($100). Did I mention I've never airbrushed before?  :o

I bought this back in ~March and put it on hold. I feared the summer humidity would not let me paint this.

I planned to get this build finished before Megacon, but things really flipped upside down, so I spent less time on this costume over the summer. I would slowly putter around on it a few nights a week, really working through the details of this costume.

While I waited through summer, I worked on more parts.

I've never done leatherworking before, and with my rookie sewing skills, I could probably make a leather bandolier on my own. I was just dreading the pattern making, especially with how this entire belt is positioned on your body. I used the D23 reference images for most of the measuring.

It turned out really well for my first go. I 3D printed the bullets, since I didnt want too much weight on this belt, but I did order the metal gun attachment + metal belt buckle from JJ industires. They were just too good to pass up, and I really wanted a real functioning gun attachment.

I 3D printed all of the parts similar to that of the helmet above. All on my CR10S. I mostly used Great Ape Studios (Chest, Back, thighs, shoulders), and Plastic Arms Studios (gauntlets, knee) and Sean Fields (shin) and some free files (grenades, bandolier parts, pistol)

I ordered the Amban Rifle from Traywick Studios (not yet pictured because it's really big)

For the gauntlets, I used a really simple attachment system. Magnets, hot glue and nylon webbing.

For the Left Leg, this was something I was dreading. I saw a few different ways to do this, but I wanted something I could slip my foot into and out of without thinking much about it.

I took a sheet of Sintra and cut it to my shin size, heated it and wrapped my leg with an inch space in the back for flex. I then measured out the different parts and started at the bottom.

5 rows of leather for the bottom part, sewed together (not sure what you'd call it), then glued the end to roughly where I thought to put it, with a row hanging off for flexibility.

Next was the orange band with the 'tombstone'. Tombstone was 3D printed then wrapped. There's a piece of velcro on the back of the tombstone holding it in place on the sintra, and then velcro on the back to attach.

The big wrinkled part was hard to get the correct screen accurate affect. I took strips of EVA foam and cut them/dremeled them to give them shape and just glued it to the sintra. I then just glued the leather to that, which makes it look permanently wrinkled.

The top band was the easiest, I just used the D23 reference images. Used 2 colors of leather, and stained the middle band. Made a pouch with the same pattern as the bandolier, but with a strap and extra stud.

(measurements from the Din Djarin Mandalorian FB group)

For the knee, I made sure I had the correct details with, and attached with a large piece of webbing and velcro. Basically there's 2" wide webbing, with hooks side velcro, and then a section on the knee with soft velcro, and a section on the sintra below, the long strip holds them both in place. The webbing is thick enough and rigid enough to keep it upright.

I custom made my grenade plate for the belt. I wanted real metal, but also something light weight.

Magnets help attach the grenades to the aluminum plate. I plan to add a chicago screw to better affix this to the belt, the clip is great, I just want something a bit more permanent.

For attachment to most parts and pieces, I used velcro and 2" nylon webbing.

For the Shoulders, I used EVA and foam padding to 'buff' them out. I used larged 1" snaps to attach.

Weathered gloves and hand plate. Just dip your fingers in some watered down paint.

Gio's Boots. Sanded with sand paper.

Test fit before weathering.

For the Alumaluster Helmet, I used plain Rustoleum Gloss black for the undercoat.

Then used the Alumaluster with an airbrush, no thinner. Shake the bottle and pour in and paint.

My most recent test fit after everything is finished. I'll take submission photos once I change a few more tid bits.

« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2020, 06:12 PM by Burt_ » Logged

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
Re: Burt's Build; The Mandalorian V1
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2020, 09:42 AM »
Glad to see you've been busy, Burt!

Be careful with the double posting.  Typically the rule is to allow 24 hours to pass between posts or some replies in between, but no big deal!  I simply added your posts into one big post.   :)

Silly forum rules aside, this is a really well done build, like all your costumes.  It's tough to make out some of the details in what you've provided in some of the pictures, but before I go any further with my feedback, are you planning on taking this build to the Brigades once you have it approved?  You've posted in the Brigade section, so before I go assuming, I want to make sure!   

Once I know that answer, I can give you more specific feedback on some things I have noticed. 

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

Burt_

« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2020, 04:12 PM »
It's tough to make out some of the details in what you've provided in some of the pictures, but before I go any further with my feedback, are you planning on taking this build to the Brigades once you have it approved?  You've posted in the Brigade section, so before I go assuming, I want to make sure!   

Once I know that answer, I can give you more specific feedback on some things I have noticed.

Yea, sorry, the most recent pictures I took solo, so for that, I set up my phone with the front facing camera pointed at me so I can see myself as I take pics... which in turn doesn't have as good of quality as the other camera on the other side, whoops!

Whats the difference between approvals with brigades for this costume? I just want to get him approved, if there's a higher level, thatd be cool to aim towards. I think I've got to have most of it done (I got the Alumaluster! haha)

I mainly am just worried about sizing of the armor parts. I feel like my shoulders are 'off' but maybe not. I think I need to redo my knee, its too big? Not quite exactly screen accurate, I can do better. But outside of that, I would love to hear thoughts on what I can improve. I need something more to work on lol, my table is empty right now! (haven't seen that since Last year LOL!)

Mi'ix

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2020, 04:54 PM »
We're currently working on the BRL for this version of Din, but we would ask for things like the helmet to be painted with Alumaluster, the Cape should be boiled wool, working screen in the gauntlet, get a little bit more into the nitty gritty of the paint work etc...  Things that go a little beyond the CRL.  It is of course, not mandatory, but adds a little challenge to the Canon side of things some folks enjoy!

I would agree with your assessment on the knee.  I'm not quite sure what it is, but the shape looks off?  I actually really like your soft parts from Gwabo.  I was considering ordering a Death Watch flight suit and vest from him. 

I'm actually really curious about your experience with the alumaluster and how it was to paint with!

What I have found is that a lot of people, not necessarily you, print this armor and think it's a one size fit all.  I think I had to scale my Deathwatch chest plate up to 115% to get it to fit me properly.  The red/brown might be a little on the smaller side, but I think with some padding you could give it a bump out which might help the issue there.

Also, looks like there's a few more damaged spots on the beige shoulder!

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Burt_

« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2020, 05:08 PM »
When i did my original shoretrooper shoulder, I had an extra piece printed from a previous project and just simply used that. The issue is, while it IS a shoretrooper shoulder, the shape is just a bit off. I first painted it, then cut about an inch off, hence why its missing a few spots.

I have the proper Great Ape Studios shoulder piece printed and I'm finishing that now. I think I should just swap them out completely. This shoulder is good, but not good enough.

If you look at the pics above, the brown shoulder has a ton of padding.. but even with all that padding it doesn't buff it out much. Not quite sure what I'm doing wrong. Do I just need even more padding? The padding in the shoulder is already about an inch and a half thick. I feel its too much, but maybe its just not enough lol.

And yea, I'm going to reprint the knee. I bet with a new print, It will sit better as well.

So with Alumaluster... This had been sitting on my desk since March, and I noticed from just sitting on my desk, with zero direct sunlight, never opened, some had evaporated a bit (not much, but enough that I noticed).

As soon as you take the protective tape off the lid, you immediately can start smelling it, so this definitely needs good ventilation to use.

I've never airbrushed before, so with my very novice skills, I thought it was pretty easy to use. I just shook the bottle and poured it in. No thinner. I used half the bottle for a helmet + some practice on a shoulder piece.

I want to say, once you get your airbrush 'going' its basically like applying spray paint. I would use long 'breaths' of the airbrush to apply large swaths of paint. Let my airtank fill back up, then do again. Prolly hold the button down for about a minute, spray an area, stop, repeat. Once I saw the silver on the helmet, I basically tried to make the whole helmet match that one area so it wasn't too dark or too bright.

Compared to the other paints I bought (which were terrible to use and a PITA to get out of the bottle) this was a breeze. My only complaint is that you can't do this with the garage closed. You really need good ventilation with this color paint! It REEKS!

« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2020, 05:16 PM by Burt_ » Logged

Rayne

• Dralshy’a Tome (Stronger Together)
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Brigades Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2020, 02:25 PM »
Hi Burt!
That Alumaluster looks great!  Nice job!

Other than what you mentioned about the knee and the shore trooper shoulder, I only see a couple of recommendations to make.

I know you mentioned in one of your posts about tailoring your flightsuit. I highly recommend tailoring it to be a bit more fitted to your body, mostly in the pants. Stirrups might help with the bunching at the knees also.

I also recommend finishing the raw edges on the back of the leg wrap. This will make it more screen accurate and help so the edges don’t wear out while trooping and cause issues.

Nicely done!

Tra'cor Clan // MMCC#1968
Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Mi'ix

« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2020, 02:28 PM »
That's a good point about the stirrups!

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Burt_

« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2020, 03:09 PM »

I know you mentioned in one of your posts about tailoring your flightsuit. I highly recommend tailoring it to be a bit more fitted to your body, mostly in the pants. Stirrups might help with the bunching at the knees also.

I also recommend finishing the raw edges on the back of the leg wrap. This will make it more screen accurate and help so the edges don’t wear out while trooping and cause issues.

Nicely done!

Oh thats such a good idea!!!! I'm doing that tonight! That will fix my pants issue so easy!

Burt_

« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2020, 06:31 PM »
I've made a bunch of changes and I'm in the process of submitting to all the clubs :)

Mi'ix

« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2020, 04:48 PM »
Excited to see that app over here!  :)

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!