Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

The Airsofting Mandalorian

• 4 Replies

TheJFA

• The Airsofting Mandalorian
The Airsofting Mandalorian
« on: Sep 26, 2020, 09:18 AM »
Good Day Everyone,

As the title suggests, I intent to blend my love of Star Wars with my hobby of airsofting. While I understand many things seen on the screen don't always translate to reality, I am none less committed to seeing this through. I will go airsofting as a mandalorian.... one day :)

My plan is to construct the most durable set of armor (but not metal because I just don't have the skills for metal working at this time and it would be too heavy). Thus, the goal would to be able to go airsofting in the uniform, and then with slight modification I would be able to troop with it.

I have the helmet just about ready for paint. It's a Jango Fett bucket from April Storm Props. I've lined it with padding and installed the visor. I might add a chin strap. I'll be making a steel mesh t-visor that I can go airsofting in so it won't fog up. This way I can swap lenses depending on the situation.

My main questions are the durability of certain material and securing the pieces in place. I'll be going with a standard boba/jango style chest and back pieces, gauntlets, and shin/knee plates. I figured plastic from several home depot buckets would be enough for some of the smaller pieces.

This will be my first attempt at creating an actual outfit, so any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Re: The Airsofting Mandalorian
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2020, 12:02 PM »

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
  • Awards Donated one quarter of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2020, 12:28 PM »
For impact resistance, Kydex would be the best bet, followed by ABS. I'm not entirely sure of the impact ratings for PLA printed helmets.

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Cabur Akaata Member 139 | O.S.B.A. 007
Gunslinger - Special Weapons Brigade
Anansi's Longstrike Carbine
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

TheJFA

• The Airsofting Mandalorian
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2020, 12:24 AM »
After a bit of research, I believe kydex is the way to go, though what thickness would you recommend?

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
  • Awards Donated one quarter of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2020, 12:35 PM »
I'm honestly not sure what's even available. You don't want it too thick because even the thin stuff used for holsters is a bear to cut.

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Cabur Akaata Member 139 | O.S.B.A. 007
Gunslinger - Special Weapons Brigade
Anansi's Longstrike Carbine
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!