Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Help with compact RF unit

• 5 Replies

Bucket Commander

• I'm what you would call a "Really Cool Guy"
Help with compact RF unit
« on: Nov 11, 2021, 12:01 PM »
Hello all, I'm currently in the process of making my own mando. For the helmet, I decided to have a compact rangefinder unit instead of the traditional visor or antenna stalk. The unit will feature two vetical holes in the earpiece that fit two 3mm LED holders, and on the top will be a hole for a small antenna segment. My issue is this;

I want to have a red and a green LED in the holders, the green will be a static on and the red will be blinking (preferably about 30 blinks per minute). I have little to none experience with making these things, but my dad says I can buy blinking LEDs without having to make a complicated board. The only issue is, these blinkers blink about 90 times per minute, at about 1.5hz. Could someone help me with making a simple circuit to produce what I'm looking for, or propose a different solution? Much appreciated.

Ruug'la Carud

• kyr'am ra kote
  • Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member 15+ clan level invasions Family events Special Weapons EnviroOps
Re: Help with compact RF unit
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2021, 03:33 PM »
for my kit i always buy leds rated for 9-12v off of ebay or amazon. theyre prewired with the resistor and pigtail wires so all you need is a 9v battery and switch. you can get most colors in static, flickering or flashing.

Bucket Commander

« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2021, 11:49 PM »
for my kit i always buy leds rated for 9-12v off of ebay or amazon. theyre prewired with the resistor and pigtail wires so all you need is a 9v battery and switch. you can get most colors in static, flickering or flashing.

That’s what I intend to do, the only issue is I can’t seem to find LEDs that blink at the frequency I want them to. I think I need to either add another resistor or make a more complicated circuit.

Second Son

• Awards Special Weapons EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2021, 12:15 PM »
This may or may not help - the Velleman kit MK102 creates a little board with a pair of flashers, and adjustable timing using pair of little dial things (potentiometers? not good at electronics yet). The schematic might be findable on The Internet.  Pulling apart the circuit design, which is sadly beyond my current skill level, may help you gain insight on how to control the flash with a basic LED instead of getting a pre-set flasher and trying to dial it back.

When you figure it out, please share because your concept sounds pretty dang cool.

Bucket Commander

« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2021, 05:47 PM »
This may or may not help - the Velleman kit MK102 creates a little board with a pair of flashers, and adjustable timing using pair of little dial things (potentiometers? not good at electronics yet). The schematic might be findable on The Internet.  Pulling apart the circuit design, which is sadly beyond my current skill level, may help you gain insight on how to control the flash with a basic LED instead of getting a pre-set flasher and trying to dial it back.

When you figure it out, please share because your concept sounds pretty dang cool.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll have to check it out and do some more research into Velleman kits. I plan to take the different armor pieces a month at a time so hopefully I’ll have a result soon to show you.

LightningLion

• Electronics are my thing
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2021, 04:14 PM »
Blinking without programing it's kinda electronics 101, with a 555. You'll be able to Google thousands of tutorials.
https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/112875/astable-555-timing-circuit-0-5-hz-and-50-duty-cycle

Lion's electronics corner

Rionu Custom Electronics for your Mandos
--->> Sales thread

WIP's: Post-Imperial costume. Nite Owl helmet.

Mundo Airsofter - Airsoft news & reviews

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!