Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First draft sketch, feedback appreciated

• 3 Replies
First draft sketch, feedback appreciated
« on: Nov 17, 2020, 05:04 PM »
I've been lurking these forums for a while, but been a bit overwhelmed. I'm 5'4 and 115 lbs so it's been hard to find some things to get started, mainly patterns and helmets (and I'm not sure how I want to go about the chestplate). But where better to start than a sketch to flesh out ideas? So here it is--forgive the handwritten notes, sketchy lines and poorly drawn boots.

I kind of like the colors, they changed many times while I was working on this, but I'm not sure I'm in love. I wanted to stick with more earthy-neutral colors, but it feels a little generic, which I don't totally mind, but I'm worried that it will be hard to differentiate the pieces at a glance. I haven't drawn any concepts of weapons or really fleshed out how I want the gun belt and holsters to look since I'm mainly focused on color for now.

Does anyone have any suggestions, mainly pertaining to color/pattern changes? I would really love any feedback. Thanks!

jethroskull

• “Ruug'la bal o'r te ara.”
Re: First draft sketch, feedback appreciated
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2020, 05:32 PM »
I really like your colour/design! It's an excellent combo, subtle but still noticeable.

A'den Syngh; desert rat
Wera Syngh; pilot
Wolves of Mandalore Clan
Cabur Akaata - Grey Brigade/OT Guard  F&AMM - Wrangalor - QMU - Desert Wolves
Tales from the Werlaara

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2020, 08:11 PM »
Is there an overarching theme to your idea? Is there anything specific you want to include or avoid? Do you want to join a particular brigade eventually, or are you happy to just be a mando (nothing wrong with that, mind; mandos are cool).

For example, I am building a lightly-armored sniper kit in blue and teal (because they’re my favorite colors). I’ve taken some of my cues from the sniper brigade requirements which have helped me refine the idea a bit more. It might help you figure a bit more what you want if you pick a specific theme or focus.

« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2020, 07:01 PM »
I'm in the same boat at 5'3 and around the same weight. I'm also mainly leg and have a short torso so I started with the paper pattern at 5'3 for the Boba plates and then had to trim them down. Because I have a really small shoulder width I've found the Kal Props Night Owl helmet to be perfect for me because it doesn't flare out at the bottom. My previous helmet did and while I got approved I also felt like a bobblehead (it's since gone to a friend who wears it much better). The people on the forum are great for feedback and if you get in contact with your local clan they can give pointers.

As for colours, I love what you have but really it's up to you. Like mentioned before, having a theme is a great start. I had my colours picked out and was ready to go but then the more I looked at them the more I didn't like it so I sat on it for a year and sorted out my whole Naboo theme (not saying it'll take that long for you  :D). The colours stayed the same in the end but the pattern and accents changed drastically. Just remember to have fun with it in the end!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!