Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Beast-tamer additional equipment?

• 7 Replies
Beast-tamer additional equipment?
« on: Jan 19, 2021, 05:07 PM »
I wanna build a wandering beast-tamer kit, and while it was pretty easy to settle on weapons (vibro-axe, beskad and dual blasters), I got stuck on useful non-combat equipment that can making catching animals easier. So I am looking for ideas!

Some thoughts I have on my own:

1) A modification of the "whistling birds" that work like tranquilizing darts. This darts are bigger than a normal "whistling bird" and get activated one-by-one, carrying tranquilizer, but in general the technology is the same.

2) Lasso, or maybe some sort of a multi-purpose rope with attachable stuff like grappling hooks, nets, ect

3) Hidden "Assassins creed" style blade for handling situations of too close fight with a wild animal, but with the blade attached to the back of hand side, not palm side.

4) A bit of weird idea for the sake of weird idea
I have a thought of making my jetpack smaller than usual but attach glider-like controllable wings to it for better maneuverability and spending less fuel. It actually came to me after playing Ark Survival Evolved with a SW themed mod, so let me just show what I have got after adding an in-game glider (actually modded but it looks pretty much like vanilla version)

Geronimo!

Kurz

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
Re: Beast-tamer additional equipment?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2021, 05:31 PM »
Your ideas are awesome, but the beast tamer is a specific brigade, with its own specific requirement list. Usually the brigade upgrade should be done after you get your OM, since many details might distract you from your "base" kit. Of course working having in mind where you want to go will help in future upgrades, but i's suggest you to keep it simple and upgrade after the OM. Of course this is only my suggestion.

Anyway, the whistling-sleeping bird and the lasso are awesome ideas and would perfectly fit the beast tamer concept.
The "hidden blade" as you describe it is actually canon (see clone commando and many mandos like bo katan)

Just remember it can't be spring loaded in any way.

As for the jetparaglider, awesome concept, might be difficult to build, almost certainly difficult to carry at long troops (also you dont want to hot someone with your wings).
Awesome idea though. Might also make sense if you want to tame some big bird loke creature and you don't want to scare them with the jetpack noise/heat/flame.

« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2021, 05:34 PM by Kurz » Logged
OM #2524
Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #133
Oribru Akaata (Emergency Battalion) #31
M.V.S. #89
L.O.B. #66
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2021, 02:21 AM »
Huh, sorry for not replying for a so long time, was a bit busy at work.

Yeah, I constantly forget that this blades are canon, they don't use them that much :laugh:
About "jetglider" - I am still thinking how exactly I want it to function, because yeah, in the way how this wings designed in Ark Survival, the wings are too big, and even still it doesn't actually affect the gameplay, I usually put them off when I don't need them, because I sometimes get the glider accidentally reacting on me using wrong hot keys, while I don't need it to react right now. I was considering a jumpsuit, like one that Hiccup had in How To Train Your Dragon (films 2 and 3), but after re-watching this moments of the films I noticed that the jumpsuit doesn't allow Hiccup to use any weapons in flight, so I gave up on this idea. But also in Ark Survival, the glider is a bit of "steampunk style" gear which technically doesn't have any mechanics in it, it's purely hand-moved gear (the wings on the screenshot are from mod, vanilla game doesn't have a tek version). So maybe adding some technology in it would allow to make a more compact alternative.

Geronimo!

jethroskull

« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2021, 09:33 AM »
Jet pack with pop-out wings. I’ve seen a few of those lately.

« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2021, 03:46 PM »
Jet pack with pop-out wings. I’ve seen a few of those lately.
Do you have links/images? I would be really grateful for that!

Geronimo!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2021, 04:30 PM »
Ru'Stor Rawr has a really nice one he's been working on.

Arkham

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2021, 05:52 PM »
4) A bit of weird idea for the sake of weird idea
I have a thought of making my jetpack smaller than usual but attach glider-like controllable wings to it for better maneuverability and spending less fuel. It actually came to me after playing Ark Survival Evolved with a SW themed mod, so let me just show what I have got after adding an in-game glider (actually modded but it looks pretty much like vanilla version)

I like the concept. My only question/concern from a realistic practical functionality standpoint with your costume is going to be; when and how are you going to use them?

It's not like you're going to be able to walk through a con with them out. Even for photos and such, the likelihood of some kid accidentally running into/through them and damaging them is extremely high. Will they give you the look you want on your back when they are compacted, and will people know what they are?

Just wanted to make sure you consider how you're going to use them, or if, you're going to be able to them before making them.

Arkham's WIP

Tra'cor Clan // G.O.M.O.L # 032 // M.V.S #68 // O.O.P.S.! #52 // L.O.B #49

jethroskull

« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2021, 07:56 PM »
Ru'Stor Rawr has a really nice one he's been working on.

Exactly the one that came to mind!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!