Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Reeves' First kit WIP -- post-Imperial

• 20 Replies
Reeves' First kit WIP -- post-Imperial
« on: Nov 29, 2020, 03:23 PM »
(Planning thread, Soft Parts WIP)

My off-brand Sintra arrived yesterday which means, oh boy, time to bite the bullet and start working on armor. (It feels so scary and final, even though I know it's not...)

I figured I'd do the thigh plates first, figuring they'd be the easiest and I could get the hang of working with Sintra on something with straight edges and no compound curves. I made knee mock-ups from a Boba template for sizing purposes. The thigh plates are more-or-less based on Din Djarin's right plate from the Ch1/Ch2 armor (https://imgur.com/gallery/4dniz8a).

I'd like them on the larger size, without being oversized, of course, or cumbersome. Thoughts? I'm thinking I might need to trim them down a bit.

Question on the knees, although that's for a later day: I have 6mm Sintra. WIll that be too thick to make the curved pieces of the Boba knees?

AdmiraLott7

• Never Look Back
Re: Reeves' First kit WIP -- post-Imperial
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2020, 08:49 PM »
Looking good! From what I can see you may need to trim a little for the thigh plate. I needed to trim a little off the plates as they tended to bump occasionally against my shnee armor. Ordeyn advised I use Jango sizing for thigh plates which really helped for reference. Itís also good to make sure that the armor lays flat against you thigh on all sides. Iíd be happy to get someone whose more knowledgeable with post imperial builds to take a look at the spacing.

Also 6mm sintra will do just fine with armor shaping. Thatís all I used for my build. I tried 12mm at one point and it was more difficult to shape.

Youíre making great progress! Keep up the great work!

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2020, 10:47 PM »
AdmiraLott said there was a new recruit in NH working on a kit, so I thought I'd stop in and make sure I comment to see how things are going! Each state/Clan usually has what's called a Ruus'alor Sol'yc to help make sure that your kit is following the CRLs and provide general building help. Since NH does not have a formal Clan or Russ'alor Sol'yc, I'm happy to help with any questions that may come up. You may want to drop in to the NH Stronghold section to let them know that you're there. There isn't a ton of activity since it's still a Clan in formation, but Atin'la Bral has been kinda heading up some local build parties and keeping people motivated. You also can't go wrong with stopping in to say hello to Firaxan Clan like you did. I love those guys out there and they'll be a great help! However, your best bet for help is going to keep this and/or your Firaxan WIP updated. The stronghold one just doesn't get much traffic at the moment.

All that aside, I do agree that you'll want to shrink it down a bit. One of the big concerns will be making sure that your shin does not crash into your knee plate. I think you have two options here. One is that you can rotate it a bit more towards the outside of your thigh. That will keep it from sitting directly above your knee and allow you to move it up towards your hip a bit more, similar to where AdmiraLott has his. Another option would be to take maybe 1/4" off of all edges and effectively reducing it by a 1/2" in height and width. Din's knee and shin definitely sit close together, so in theory as long as they look proportionate to your body and don't touch, you've got a good bit of artistic freedom.

You may also decide to tweak the shape a bit, rounding off the top point a bit, cutting a steeper angle near your inner thigh, or something a bit different. Whatever ideas you get, we're happy to help. I usually have everyone start off all their plates by drafting them up on cardstock or something a bit more durable. I always suggest this because I've made the mistake of cutting into sintra and realizing that I kinda botched it and had to throw it out or start over. A heavy paper template will save you a LOT of trouble.  :)

And as he also said, 6mm is a really nice thickness for knees. I currently have a kit made entirely from 3mm and while it's held up for 50+ events, I like the bevel and thickness that I can get with 6mm.

Looking great so far! I'll check out all your other threads as well!

« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2020, 10:59 PM by Kurshi BeJahaal » Logged

MMCC #1484¶¶50 Career Invasions¶¶Rancor Clan 
B.E.A.R.D.S #97 ¶ M.A.R.S. #21
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2020, 03:00 PM »
AdmiraLott said there was a new recruit in NH working on a kit, so I thought I'd stop in and make sure I comment to see how things are going! Each state/Clan usually has what's called a Ruus'alor Sol'yc to help make sure that your kit is following the CRLs and provide general building help. Since NH does not have a formal Clan or Russ'alor Sol'yc, I'm happy to help with any questions that may come up. You may want to drop in to the NH Stronghold section to let them know that you're there. There isn't a ton of activity since it's still a Clan in formation, but Atin'la Bral has been kinda heading up some local build parties and keeping people motivated. You also can't go wrong with stopping in to say hello to Firaxan Clan like you did. I love those guys out there and they'll be a great help! However, your best bet for help is going to keep this and/or your Firaxan WIP updated. The stronghold one just doesn't get much traffic at the moment.

Thanks! I'm still figuring out clan/forum organization and the Stronghold vs Clan thing threw me a bit.

All that aside, I do agree that you'll want to shrink it down a bit. One of the big concerns will be making sure that your shin does not crash into your knee plate. I think you have two options here. One is that you can rotate it a bit more towards the outside of your thigh. That will keep it from sitting directly above your knee and allow you to move it up towards your hip a bit more, similar to where AdmiraLott has his. Another option would be to take maybe 1/4" off of all edges and effectively reducing it by a 1/2" in height and width. Din's knee and shin definitely sit close together, so in theory as long as they look proportionate to your body and don't touch, you've got a good bit of artistic freedom.

You may also decide to tweak the shape a bit, rounding off the top point a bit, cutting a steeper angle near your inner thigh, or something a bit different. Whatever ideas you get, we're happy to help. I usually have everyone start off all their plates by drafting them up on cardstock or something a bit more durable. I always suggest this because I've made the mistake of cutting into sintra and realizing that I kinda botched it and had to throw it out or start over. A heavy paper template will save you a LOT of trouble.  :)
Looking great so far! I'll check out all your other threads as well!

Thank you for the advice! I used posterboard for drafting these but might try to find something heftier around the house, just to be sure. (Strapping the templates on instead of taping them to my pants would probably also help them look better, haha.)

Here's a trimmed version, which I do think looks better (if maybe a bit too narrow?):

And as he also said, 6mm is a really nice thickness for knees. I currently have a kit made entirely from 3mm and while it's held up for 50+ events, I like the bevel and thickness that I can get with 6mm.

Oh good, that's good to hear!

Looking good! From what I can see you may need to trim a little for the thigh plate. I needed to trim a little off the plates as they tended to bump occasionally against my shnee armor. Ordeyn advised I use Jango sizing for thigh plates which really helped for reference. Itís also good to make sure that the armor lays flat against you thigh on all sides. Iíd be happy to get someone whose more knowledgeable with post imperial builds to take a look at the spacing.

Also 6mm sintra will do just fine with armor shaping. Thatís all I used for my build. I tried 12mm at one point and it was more difficult to shape.

Youíre making great progress! Keep up the great work!

Those seem higher than others I've seen -- do the tops of the thigh plates impede your movement at all? I like the way they look! Using Jango templates for sizing is also a great idea, thank you!

AdmiraLott7

• Never Look Back
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2020, 04:41 PM »
Posterboard is a great idea for templating!  I used paper, Christmas wrapping, and cardboard to measure out size before cutting my sintra.  I especially used that when I designed my shnee armor.  To me the trimmed thigh plates look a lot better.  I don't find that it impedes with my movement at all, surprisingly enough.

You may find that the approval team wants you to trim some areas as you go along with your build after having cut the sintra, which is something that I had to do myself.  It seems daunting, but it can be solved with a little touch up paint and slow cutting.  Its definitely good that you cutting out the templates and placing them first before cutting into material  :like:  :porg2:

« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2020, 11:16 AM »
I finally got up the nerve to cut into the sintra and get the thighs cut and drafted -- I did this with a box cutter and hot water and will definitely be trying the dremel/heat gun combo for the next pieces.
Sorry about the black-on-purple -- I wasn't thinking about how hard it would be to get good pics in the early stages with the black sintra. These are just stuck on with tape in the pictures, but I'm planning on strapping them on (probably underneath the flight suit), so the end product will be more snug. I've also got quite a bit of sanding around the edges. Thoughts before I get started with the sanding? Do the tops and bottoms stick out too much, or should I be good once the strapping's on?

Kurshi BeJahaal

• Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2020, 01:26 PM »
Great update!

You'll be using these scrub bottoms for your flight suit? Right? They'll work great, but you'll eventually want to tailor them a little to take out some of the bagginess. Once that's done, we'll be able to get a better look.

But from what I'm seeing, the sizing is much better! I think you'd be fine to start sanding. Are you planning on rounding/putting a bevel on the edges? Doing that usually helps the plate to look more finished that leaving the squared cuts. Squared cuts tend to ripple a bit when heated and shaped. See my sanded/rounded edges:

This definitely isn't required, but seems to give a more finished and realistic touch to everything. If you need to still tweak the shaping after sanding, you'll be just fine!

Great job so far!

AdmiraLott7

• Never Look Back
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2020, 02:59 PM »
That sizing looks much better!   :like:  As I said earlier the app team may have you trim a little more down the road but it can easily be fixed with some touch up paint and trimming. 

I have to agree with Kurshi that sanding/rounding the edges definitely helps a lot with the look, especially on the hard corners.  I used a dremel on my build to round out the edges of my cuts and then used a smooth grit sand paper to soften it up. 

You're making some great progress on your build!  Nice job!

« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2020, 12:03 PM »
Great update!

You'll be using these scrub bottoms for your flight suit? Right? They'll work great, but you'll eventually want to tailor them a little to take out some of the bagginess. Once that's done, we'll be able to get a better look.

Yep, the scrub pants are the bottom of the flight suit. I was holding off tailoring until I finished the leg wraps in the hopes of saving myself some work, but I may go ahead and do it.

Yesterday's work:

Turns out I managed to buy gloss paint instead of matte. Oops. I decided to go ahead and try it out anyway, thinking that the practice wouldn't hurt and hey, maybe I'd like gloss!

Well, I don't like the gloss. My weathering technique definitely needs some work so I'll be re-painting these but I do really love the color! They look so much better with the edges sanded, too.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions!

AdmiraLott7

• Never Look Back
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2020, 12:30 PM »
Yep, the scrub pants are the bottom of the flight suit. I was holding off tailoring until I finished the leg wraps in the hopes of saving myself some work, but I may go ahead and do it.

Yesterday's work:

Turns out I managed to buy gloss paint instead of matte. Oops. I decided to go ahead and try it out anyway, thinking that the practice wouldn't hurt and hey, maybe I'd like gloss!

Well, I don't like the gloss. My weathering technique definitely needs some work so I'll be re-painting these but I do really love the color! They look so much better with the edges sanded, too.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions!

The sides look really great!  What did you do for weathering?  There's several different ways of doing weathering but the one that I used was toothpaste.  I first placed a normal grey primer and paint on my armor and let it dry.  Then I placed my silver coat and after it dried I put on little dabs of toothpaste with a toothpick

And then I spray a black layer of paint on over the silver.  Once that layer dries, I then rubbed off the tooth paste with a wet paper towel, which reveals the silver underneath.  You then use that same process as you build up your layers of paint. 

I've heard of other people using kosher salt to weather the paint instead of toothpaste, but I've never tried it myself.
The next thing that I did after finishing up paint was add a blackwash which really makes the armor come to life.  All you have to do for that is dab a paintbrush with acryllic black paint on it into a cup of windex (not a lot, but  50/50 mix of paint to windex), and paint it onto a small area of the armor.  You let that mixture sit for 10-15 seconds, and dab it off with a paper towel, and it will make the armor look grimey and old.

You're doing an awesome job!  Can't wait to see more!   :like:

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2020, 05:20 PM »
You can knock the shine off gloss paints using a satin or matte sealer. Some modelmakers will use gloss paint and sealer because itís more durable, then follow it up with matte sealer to dull it down.

« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2020, 02:03 PM »
You can knock the shine off gloss paints using a satin or matte sealer. Some modelmakers will use gloss paint and sealer because itís more durable, then follow it up with matte sealer to dull it down.

Oh, huh, that's good to know! I bought a satin spray yesterday, but maybe I'll get a matte sealer so I can use up the can of gloss.

The sides look really great!  What did you do for weathering?  There's several different ways of doing weathering but the one that I used was toothpaste.  I first placed a normal grey primer and paint on my armor and let it dry.  Then I placed my silver coat and after it dried I put on little dabs of toothpaste with a toothpick

And then I spray a black layer of paint on over the silver.  Once that layer dries, I then rubbed off the tooth paste with a wet paper towel, which reveals the silver underneath.  You then use that same process as you build up your layers of paint. 
I've heard of other people using kosher salt to weather the paint instead of toothpaste, but I've never tried it myself.
The next thing that I did after finishing up paint was add a blackwash which really makes the armor come to life.  All you have to do for that is dab a paintbrush with acryllic black paint on it into a cup of windex (not a lot, but  50/50 mix of paint to windex), and paint it onto a small area of the armor.  You let that mixture sit for 10-15 seconds, and dab it off with a paper towel, and it will make the armor look grimey and old.

You're doing an awesome job!  Can't wait to see more!   :like:
Thanks for the tips! The links to weathering posts in other threads kept leading me to dead ends. I used Crisco, since I had it around, but it's definitely too runny and I'll be using toothpaste or vaseline next go-around, then blackwashing. Hadn't heard of using Windex for blackwashing, that's interesting!

Editing because I've got shoulder patterns now:

Wasn't sure if I'd have to redo the flack vest sleeves, but now I'm thinking I probably will. Oh, well.
Thoughts on size/shape? Do these need to sit further back?

« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2020, 05:13 PM by Reeves Pallia » Logged

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2020, 10:18 PM »
So you're using the templates for the shoulder bell armor? It should work perfectly!

I second the toothpaste idea. AdmiraLott and I use the same method to do our weathering. I use just cheap, clear AIM brand toothpaste from the dollar store. I can post my steps below just as another reference. Ours are very similar, so maybe you can get some ideas. Our method and styling isn't the only one out there, but it's a starting point for you to practice with!

I like to add a little bit of physical damage before I prime it. Just for some depth!
But start with your silver over your primer layer.

Next, I do a base layer of a paint color that will work with my main top color. In my case, I chose black. If you add this layer, it gives even more depth to your paint scheme.

Then I went ahead with my main, top layer. Lots and lots of red.

Notice that I'm weathering my high points. Consider edges and raised spots that will get bumped and banged. Consider damage that will occur, where did the shrapnel hit? How did the damage occur? Don't go for a complete randomized pattern. Like AdmiraLott, I'm also using that toothpick to really get small details instead of globs. I envisioned an explosion or a ricochet happening near this right side of my face.

Next, I masked off for the Mandibles and Jaig eyes. Continue to layer your toothpaste over the previous scuffs and scrapes.

Here's the almost finished helmet.

So all that was left was to do blackwash. The reason that I like to suggest blackwashing with windex is because the windex dries quicker than water allowing the paint residue to "stick" to the plates faster. You totally can do water, so try out both on scrap pieces to see what you like best. Here's toning it down with the wash.

Hopefully that can build your confidence a little and give you some techniques to practice. I didnt do that at first and just went for it. Unfortunately, it looked like a bird pooped all over my chest plates and I had to redo them.  :laugh:

Keep at it!

« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2020, 06:14 PM »
Thanks again for the weathering help. I have updates!
Sanded down the thigh plates and re-painted, this time using the satin spray paint and the toothpaste weathering method. Built up some black and brown wash coats. As of now, I'm planning on attaching them with a combo of elastic (run inside of the flight suit) and heavy-duty velcro (to prevent them slipping).

I cut, shaped, sanded, and knocked some dings into the shoulder pieces, then gave them their base coat. (They're drying, I don't have a picture.) I'll be painting the shoulder pieces tomorrow, so if there's anything I should do differently with the paint, lemme know!

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2020, 11:21 PM »
I definitely don't see anything wrong with your paint job and weathering. The only thing that might add to it would be that second "undercoat" sitting between your silver and top coat. It's entirely optional to do and could be done on your other parts and left off of your thighs. Boba had mismatched stuff. 

Aside from all that, I like what you've done so far!  :)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!