Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

The Armory

• 74 Replies

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Special Weapons
The Armory
« on: Dec 24, 2020, 09:28 PM »
Finally starting my weapons thread.  I have been building some weapons right along with the rest of my armor but never started a thread.  Now that the armor is pretty much ready to go I will be focusing more on my armory and some other accessories.

Blaster/Tranq gun:  Inspired by a tranq gun, I slimmed it down and added a few bits to make it look more warzy.

Beskad:  I made two blades that I am calling beskads.  These were made with two different finishes.  I did not care for the second finish so it's only here for posterity not because I will ever carry it.

Vibro Swords:  Again I made a pair.  I like both but the one is more warzy then the other.

Spear:  With the release of The Mandalorian season 2, I have jumped onto the Mando's with spears bandwagon with both feet.  This one is still under construction.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons [url=https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Special Weapons
Re: The Armory
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2020, 07:20 PM »
Spear Continued:  I now have it assembled!

Knives:  I have attempted several smaller knives.  The first one was inspired by the Mandalorian kal.  This one ended up too thick and the paint went a bit weird so I will never carry it but I it was a step in my learning process.  The second one came out better.  I may use it someday but right now it's an extra.  The third blade is currently housed in my left gauntlet.

« Last Edit: Dec 25, 2020, 07:49 PM by Vercopaanir » Logged

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2020, 06:54 PM »
Started a new weapons project two days ago.  I am going to make a Amban Sniper Rifle.  So I found a photo to scale and printed it via Microsoft paint program on multiple sheets to get it to the proper scale.  Then I traced out the parts that I planned on making out of wood.  I also watched YouTube vidoes on how others made this so I had a starting basis.  I got the stock, grip and pronged thing for the end traced and cut out of wood.

Due to having only a few power tools, I had to get creative in cutting out the curves.  My skill saw it too small to reach all the way through the 2X6 that the stock needed to be so I did a bunch of cuts with the miter saw ease when cutting and resigned myself to a lot of sanding.  I also used the table saw to rip as much of the excess out that I could safely.

« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2020, 07:37 PM by Vercopaanir » Logged

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

jethroskull

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2020, 06:58 PM »
Good work with that saw! What a tough way to go. If I can only have one saw make it a bandsaw. Looking good, though, can't wait to see it progress.

Cdeal

« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2021, 01:39 PM »
very nice stock so far!

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2021, 07:46 PM »
Good work with that saw! What a tough way to go. If I can only have one saw make it a bandsaw. Looking good, though, can't wait to see it progress.

Yes!  A bandsaw will be my next saw.  I have spoken.

very nice stock so far!

Thanks!

Amban Sniper Rifle:  So I got the second stock cut out today and a bunch more sanding on all the pieces.  I tend to make things in pairs.  I think I might coat the prong thing in fiberglass resin to both strengthen and fill in the wood grain.  Still debating that bit but I think I may be sold on the idea.  I also cut some details into the forward grip pieces.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2021, 08:07 PM »
Alright so I covered the prongs with resin and hung them to dry.  I will sand down any drips and see what I think.

I also made some shells for the rifle.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2021, 05:01 PM »
It was a lovely day today.  Got some work done today on the rifle.  A bit more sanding on the stock.  Cut down the former shower curtain rod that died into the proper length for my barrel.  Approx...28" 

Sanded down the epoxied prongs...

and stained the stock and grip with a walnut stain

Then I started templating and cutting out the pieces for the next section of the gun.  I am using my left over visor material as it is thiner then my 3mm PVC board but still heat formable so I can fold it over the stock where I need too. 

I only tested heat forming one piece.  The rest will wait till the stain fully sets.  Still not sure how I want to do the inset design that is on the side of the gun.  May need to find someone to print me one.  TBD

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2021, 09:14 PM »
Am. Rifle

Today I did some sanding and painting.  I sanded down the rod that I am using for the barrel to get rid of the rust spots and prep it for paint. 

Then I got the first coat of primer on both the prongs and the barrels

Yesterday I cut out the second set of pieces for the middle section of the rifle.  This second set is a mix of PVC board and left over visor. 

Also today I did a bit of shaping with my rotary tool and hand sanding to get a bit of a groove into the stock of the gun and shaped the front of the piece.

And finally I got the markings set for the second one but didn't start sanding in my shaping yet.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Awall

• None of us are as smart as ALL of us
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2021, 05:50 PM »
Nice! 

Rancor Clan     #2385
Oribru Akaata #56   Emergency Battalion

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2021, 09:37 PM »
Nice! 

Thanks!

Rifle:  I sanded down the couplings for the details on the barrel as well as the part of the scope mount.  I also started making my scope.  I plan to use magnets to hold it in place.  Mando removes his scope and uses it like a telescope at one point and I would like to have an interactive part to my weapon.  So magnets imbedded into the scope itself and then I will match them up with the mount.

I also traced out the pattern for the trigger onto 6mm Sintra.  I plan on cutting it out tomorrow as well as starting the heat forming of the main body pieces and maybe do some sanding on the second stock. 

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2021, 09:09 AM »
Amban Rifle:

Several tomorrows later... I did get the trigger cut out of the 6mm PVC board.  I also sanded and shaped it.  It hasn't been mounted yet because the base for the trigger still needs to be molded to the curve of the stock and I dropped my heat gun.  Dropped it in just the right way to shatter the ceramics inside the heating element.  So...waiting on a new one to arrive. I also bent the the trigger guards into the correct shape.

Before I broke my heat gun I did get some heat forming of the detail plates done.  I am not inlove with the visor material.  It will mold with heat but it goes form frozen to liquid in a flash and often hardens just a quickly.  It is almost impossible to get it smooth.

I got the smaller rods for under the barrel cut out.  I cut them out of a fiberglass fencing rod.  Additionally I got the holes drilled both in the stock and in the little end mount piece to hold these in place.

Then I went to work on getting the prongs mounted.  I used some PVC that I cut to length.  One uses schedule 40 the other uses CPVC both 3/4".  Shower rods are two different thicknesses so I had to adjust for that when building.  I was given a nice little rotary tool for Christmas, (YAY!) so I got to cut it out with the rotary attachment.  So much easier!!  I also cut in the little detail cut out into the prongs with the tool.

Once my heat gun is back online I will heat form the edges of the pipe to sit flush with the prongs.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2021, 04:53 PM »
So I got the trigger and the trigger guard mounted today.  Got the heat gun fixed and went to work.  Molded down the pipe to sit flush on the prongs and glued on a strip of wood to thicken that section of the stock. 

I also got the magnets added to the split piece of pipe that will be attached to the stock/barrel area as the scope mount.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2021, 06:46 PM »
Amban Rifle: I did some work on the fiddly bits today.  I started with some 3/4" schedule 40 PVC pipe.  Cut them down into several thin rings and then sanded a beveled edge into them.  Then I cut them into thirds and glued them onto the pipe in the front section of my rifle.

Then I took a piece of wood that had been ripped down earlier when I cut out the stocks and used that to make the top piece for this section of the gun.  Glued it on with some wood glue.  Clamps are my friends.  I also added a little bit of an inset right behind this piece.  This is where the groove has been sanded in for the wires that I plan on putting here.

Then I started sanding down the edges to round it off a bit and make the two pieces mesh together better.  I also sanded a bit more on the added piece for the groove.

I still have to sand them some more with higher grits to get them smooth.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2021, 04:55 PM »
Rifle:  More work on this project.  I bent the wire to sit in the groove for one of them.

I did some more sanding.  I heat formed the pieces for the second one.  I like the mix of the visor material and Sintra.  I may go back and cut out some sintra pieces for the other one.

I glued on some of the decorative pieces.  And I added a beveled edges on some of the plates.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2021, 06:11 PM »
Alright some small progress.  I added some wood triangles  to fill in the gap between the end of the barrel and the stock.  I also cut out and glued on a little bit of wood to match the piece in the V area.  Then I coated the middle section with a layer of resin.  I also got the mount for my scope worked up and glued together.  It still has to be mounted but it's coming along.

A few pieces are being held on by gravity and prayers in this picture but it gives an overall progress check.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2021, 05:16 PM »
Finally got around to doing some sanding on the resin.  Got the little pieces sanded and the larger sections on the stock of the rifle.

Then I got a layer of primer on the prongs and mounts.

And primer then copper on the bits and pieces.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2021, 06:28 PM »
Wester 35: I ordered a pair of these beginning of December and they finally arrived.  My very first 3-D print ever.  Seriously never even touched the stuff before these arrived.  I have some sanding to do, which was expected.  I also couldn't help myself and patterned up a holster for them.  The leather I have on hand is really very thin and not sturdy enough on its own so I layered it.

The strap is layered with some leftover suede I had from a different project. 
I also added a third layer of leather to the holster lower down to act as a more of a stop to keep the gun in the proper place in the holster.

I still need to add a strap to the back of the holster to run the tie down through. 

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2021, 07:12 PM »
So I did some tweaking on my holster pattern.  It is a touch too big...admittedly I patterned it for either thicker leather or sintra not the thin stuff that I am using.   I added a few straps to it.  One on the inside of the holster to prevent any fall though and another on the top to keep it in the holster (Not that it is an issue, I may just choose to run around in full kit one day).  I haven't decided on the attachment method for this one yet, but I am thinking that I might add a loop to side onto the belt for now.

I also did some work on my scratch build Amban Sniper Rifles.  I got the scope for the second one fully assembled (was missing a piece) and then I set up the pieces for the mount ( ie. cut pieces of pipe to length, insert magnets, cut Sintra to length, sand).  I also started gluing on the detail pieces to the stock.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Starling

• they/he
« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2021, 12:13 PM »
This seriously looks amazing, great work!

Ibic cuyir te ara (This is the way)
Ke nu’jurdakir sha Mando’ade! (Don’t mess with mandalorians!)
concept thread https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=199627.msg2196932#msg2196932
Build thread http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=199744.0
Soft parts WIP http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=200087.new#new

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2021, 07:31 PM »
This seriously looks amazing, great work!

Thanks Starling  :) 

Update:

Little bits and pieces here and there.  I glued on the next layer of plates to both stocks.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

ashohqin

• Certified in winging it
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2021, 11:46 PM »
Just found this and wow-great work!

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2021, 07:10 PM »
Just found this and wow-great work!

Thanks Ashohqin!

Update:

The sniper rifle is so many little things.  I added more plates to the one stock.  I added the bottom fill to the other.  I added some foam as fill for some of the larger gaps between the plates.  Some bondo on the exterior and then some sanding into shape is next for this one.

Got the fiberglass rods primed and painted

I also added some details to my scopes.

And I started sanding down my Westar-35's.  Not liking the sanding (Don't normally mind sanding but this rubs me the wrong way :laugh:)...think I will switch to the fill method for the second one.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #23 on: Feb 16, 2021, 05:26 PM »
Alrighty Folks...here's more

Amban Sniper Rifle:  I added more bits and pieces.  Got some Bondo on the central area then sanded it smooth.  Then I started on some of the little details that are on the top of the piece.

And progress check...make sure everything still fits and looks good together

Then paint on the scopes and the stock of only one.

I also painted the prongs silver.  Then I did a clear coat on which I put graphite powder.  I did three layer of clear and graphite powder.  Then some purple and green to try and get that heat warped metal look.  Not quite sure I like it but it doesn't look too bad.

I also painted the extra bits for the second rifle gold.

Westar 35's:  I lightly coated these in resin the other day when I was doing the stock and today I began the sanding process.  This will take a few days to finish.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #24 on: Feb 18, 2021, 05:36 PM »
Westar 35's:  I got them both sanded down and then gave them a second light coat of resin.  Now the waiting game as they dry so that I can sand again.

I also remade my spear head.  The one I previously made is just a bit too big.  So I scaled down a new slimmer model.  Cut it out...sanded it....glued the layers together...coated it in resin and am now also waiting on this to dry.

And I put a bit more resin on the stock of the sniper rifles since I had it out and mixed up.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!