Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Post-Imperial chest plate out of Sintra -- do-able?

• 9 Replies
Post-Imperial chest plate out of Sintra -- do-able?
« on: Dec 16, 2020, 01:36 PM »
I'm working on my first kit and I'm hoping to do a post-Imperial chest plate with 6mm Sintra, since that's what I have around. I've poked around post-Imperial build threads, though, and so far haven't seen anyone using Sintra. I'm wondering now if I'm in for a rough time.

Right now I'm  thinking of cutting one large piece for the base, layering smaller plates on top and bondo-ing/sanding down the edges to create a bevel until it looks like one piece. Would that work? Am I missing an easy solution here? I'm still in the planning stages for the chest plate so any thoughts are welcome!

Drace Olen

• Never Look Back
Re: Post-Imperial chest plate out of Sintra -- do-able?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2020, 10:08 PM »
I don’t think that it’s impossible at all, though it may take some time and a few attempts. I’ve seen plenty of people build clone wars style backpacks, knives, gauntlets, and even a BD-1 droid out of sintra. So it’s definitely possible but it would take patience and some more planning.

What I have seen, is a lot of people 3d printing post imperial armor. You may be able to find someone who will be willing to print you some armor within the forum.

Cakad

« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2020, 08:25 AM »
I know of at least one person who has done the Din V1 style chest plate out of Sintra.  I think it was 3mm, but you could do it with 6mm as well. It's definitely doable!

Dala Aran

• OM #1641 "Slow is smooth & smooth is fast"
  • Awards Celebration Chicago 40% increase or more Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2020, 12:41 PM »
I think version 1 Djarin is totally do-able. Version 2 beskar might be more challenging, but still, the welding geek made it out metal. I'm tempted to try a sintra version 1 myself.

Tenaz

• The Serax Legacy
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2020, 04:12 PM »
This is something I've been looking into as well for the V2 style. So far I've found this to start;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS9u7CXVftI&t=216s

This guy is using EVA foam, but the concept should still be the same with sintra. There's templates he put together in the video description as well. Let me know if you find anything more helpful out there

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2020, 09:54 AM »
I'd go with 6mm sintra and carve in the sharper lines and details rather than try to heat form them.

Ego Solus

• Have Gun, Will Travel
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2020, 01:38 PM »
Ace Cosplay on youtube made a set of using 6mm expanded pvc, so it is totally doable.  It seems to be a lot of cutting and gluing of smaller pieces, but the end result was pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jddKR366QQ

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2020, 01:52 PM »
I’m working on a set of Paz chest plates for my Mk.III from sintra.  So, yes, it’s doable.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Ru'Stor Rawr

• Mjölnir
  • Awards Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Airmobile brigade member Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2021, 10:31 PM »
ive made 2 pieces, one is V1 the other is a custom version, buy both are sintra 6mm

Dala Aran

• OM #1641 "Slow is smooth & smooth is fast"
  • Awards Celebration Chicago 40% increase or more Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2021, 10:56 PM »
Those look great. Do you have a wip with photos of how you made them?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!