Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Tor's Protector WIP

• 28 Replies

Tor Johaair

• Tor Johaa'ir
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Special Operations Brigade Member 15+ clan level invasions
Tor's Protector WIP
« on: Jan 09, 2021, 01:35 PM »
A couple years ago after I first made OM, I kicked around the idea of doing a Fenn Shysa build.  Then, instead, I worked on upgrading my OM kit to Striker Brigade, Recon Profession.

Now, that I have been approved there, I have decided to go back and finally do a generic Protector.  I've looked over the BRLs, and I think I get most of it.

I made a template on Mando Creator with what I would like to do, but it may be too many colors from my reading of the BRLs. The bronze looking color on the knees, girth, and gauntlet is intended to be more of a dull mustard yellow instead of the brighter yellow of Boba. My intent is also to make the rangefinder earcap that color.  The other earcap would be the main green color of the bucket and chest, collar, and ab plates. The backplate will be the same red as the visor frame/brow ridge/mandibles.

I have my boots already, because I found a sale I couldn't pass up.

I also have my cape material.  A local Boy Scout camp closed last year and I was able to acquire a few old canvas tents, similar to the US Army tent canvas used for Boba's cape.

A couple questions I have:
  • Are my colors acceptable? Do I have too many?  Since the red is my secondary color, do I need more of it than the yellow - maybe make the knees red over the yellow? The BRL kind of makes it sound like you have to stick to a max of 3 colors total aside from the white cheek option.
  • I don't really want to do a scratch build bucket this time, so whose buckets do you recommend for someone with a giant head?
  • I'd also like to have a range finder that moves by button push.  I'd like to integrate that button into the earcap somehow.  Any recommendations on those systems?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

EDIT:
I had an off-forum suggestion that there was too much light blue, so I made this change. The gauntlet and the shoulder that were light blue would be red instead.

« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2021, 01:57 PM by Tor Johaair » Logged
MMCC // #2191      Brigades #323
Tor Johaa'ir (Approved)
Striker Division: Spec Ops- Recon (Approved)

Justice, and Vengence. Though not necessarily in that order.

Rayne

• Dralshy’a Tome (Stronger Together)
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Brigades Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
Re: Tor's Protector WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:58 AM »
I’m happy to see your working on another kit!  It’s looking great so far!

To answer your questions:
-Colors-I’ll leave that one to Miix, to answer on the specifics of the BRL.
-For larger helmets, I’d check out NME. They have different sizes. I know their wait times are long, but they make nice helmets. Also in the sales threads there are listings for larger Mando helmets. Is found this one: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=194863.msg2162191#msg2162191
-for rangefinder servo kits it looks like there’s a sales thread on the forum for one here: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=124894.msg1965229#msg1965229 otherwise check The Dented Helmet, they have some sellers there too.

Looking forward to watching your kit progress!

Tra'cor Clan // MMCC#1968
Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Tor Johaair

• Tor Johaa'ir
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Special Operations Brigade Member 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:49 PM »
Thanks, Rayne, for both links.  Mi'ix and I have talked colors, and I think he's gotten me straightened out now.

I messaged with NME and just have to confirm some measurements.  If the measurements line up I hope to see a new bucket at my door in a couple months or so.

I did pick up fabric and a pattern for my flightsuit Monday.  It's a touch dark, but once I wash it a few times and weather it, I think it will be good.  It will be easier to weather this than my color-fast Red Kaps I used for Tor.  Looks like I have something to work on at our Clan's virtual armor party now.

Tor Johaa'ir (Approved)

Rayne

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Brigades Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2021, 09:46 AM »
Yay! It sounds like you’ve got a solid plan going. Excited to see what you do with your kit!

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2021, 09:03 AM »
You could just repaint the black series Boba helmet, which I think is a little larger to begin with.  Plus, the RF comes down literally with the push of a button.  I can't stand it on Boba builds, but would be great for a Protector. 

As far as colors go, less blue, more red.  If you do want to get the mustard color in there, you'll have to figure out what your tertiary color will be.  Whatever it is, use it sparingly.   

Mismatched colors on the ears are perfectly fine.

Keep your back plate the same color as the rest of your armor, so the medium green.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

Manco Fett

• I don’t want your armor, I want my armor.
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Boba and Jango
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2021, 05:10 PM »
 :boba: always good to see another prospective MP!!!

I.G. @NorCal_Cap

Pre Pro 2- Boba Fett

Manco Fett- Mandalorian Protector
WIP  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=191488.0

WIP Legendary Galactic Gunslinger (Hopeful)
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=197283.0

Tor Johaair

• Tor Johaa'ir
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2021, 01:19 PM »
I was able to get some work done on my cape this weekend.

The material is surplus Scouts BSA used tent fabric.  I stumbled into a bit of this fabric earlier last year.

I cut a chunk out that was roughly 30 inches wide by 37 inches long.  The pattern I found said 29.25 inches x 36 inches, but I am a larger fella so I added just a touch. I cut it so that the fabric to the left of the double stitch was around 4 inches and the fabric to the right of my marks for the to-be-added single stitch was around 5.25 inches.

I played around with stitch settings until I got close to the original stitch length.  I also found a thread that matched the color of discoloration in the original thread

I sewed the hems on all sides, and added a grommet to as close as I could determine it should go based upon the pattern not listing exact measurements.

I draped it over my shoulder to get an idea how it would lie, and then did some light weathering.  I'll do more once I get my armor done, so it can be consistent with the damage to the armor.  The current weathering is essentially roughed up hems, and a couple small wear spots in areas that would be exposed where the folds from the drape protrude.

Tor Johaa'ir (Approved)

Mi'ix

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2021, 01:58 PM »
I love it.

I'm long over due to swap out my cape for a shelter half.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tor Johaair

• Tor Johaa'ir
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2021, 08:45 PM »
I love it.

I'm long over due to swap out my cape for a shelter half.

Thanks!  Maybe I can make you one if the fabric takes the dye color you are looking for.

So, I played some more with colors on Mando Creator trying to get things to where I am within the BRLs.  I think I'm close, now.  I flipped the red for the mustard yellow on the visor frame/mandibles, and did away with the light blue to get down to three colors.

Also, I'm doing some thinking about my weapons loadout. I like the A-180, and I would like to be able to make it in the convertible style like in the PC Battlefront game, where the blaster pistol can be upgraded to the blaster rifle by adding the front assembly using the barrel and rail below the pistol barrel and frame.  My thought would be to have the normal hip/thigh holster for the pistol, and some sort of carrying case/holster for the front assembly.  I'm not sure how that on-kit carry would fly, though, in regard to the BRLs.

I have a helmet secured (just need to pay and pick up from the current owner), and I may have chest armor as well. 

Tor Johaa'ir (Approved)

Jaster Fett

• All men are cremated equally
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Boba and Jango Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2021, 11:33 PM »
Thanks!  Maybe I can make you one if the fabric takes the dye color you are looking for.

So, I played some more with colors on Mando Creator trying to get things to where I am within the BRLs.  I think I'm close, now.  I flipped the red for the mustard yellow on the visor frame/mandibles, and did away with the light blue to get down to three colors.

Also, I'm doing some thinking about my weapons loadout. I like the A-180, and I would like to be able to make it in the convertible style like in the PC Battlefront game, where the blaster pistol can be upgraded to the blaster rifle by adding the front assembly using the barrel and rail below the pistol barrel and frame.  My thought would be to have the normal hip/thigh holster for the pistol, and some sort of carrying case/holster for the front assembly.  I'm not sure how that on-kit carry would fly, though, in regard to the BRLs.

I have a helmet secured (just need to pay and pick up from the current owner), and I may have chest armor as well.

Your Protector color choices are much more focused. Blue wasn't looking right in your earlier concepts. I LOVE the visor/mandible swap. It reminds me of the gold brow in the Marvel Comics except it's the whole visor with the red being shifted to the mandibles. I also love your asymmetrical color combo for your gauntlets are GREEN and Red. You don't see to many of those.

Also, you did a gorgeous job on the half shelter cape! May have to hit you up for one one of these days

As for the blaster mods; I would consider creating some kind of holster or belt hook up for that/those. If your belt is going with the minimum 4 ammo pouches on your belt, you should have plenty of belt left to hook your blaster mod(s) to. This concept just keeps getting better and better!  :8):

Tor Johaair

• Tor Johaa'ir
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2021, 08:19 PM »
Thanks, Jaster!  I'm happy with where I settled on the colors now, too.

Sometime this week I will do a dye test on the tent fabric scraps I have from a couple different tents to see how they take dye.  If it does well, maybe I will see about putting up a commission thread.

So, progress update.  I couldn't find my thigh pouch templates from my Recon upgrade to my original kit, so I spent last night making new thigh/belt soft pouch templates during the Tra'cor Virtual Armor party.  I hope to get the fabric cut and sewn this week.  Then, I will probably start the leather ammo pouches and belt blank.

I started exercising again, so I am holding off on cutting out and sewing my flight suit in case I can shrink a bit, girth-wise.

Tor Johaa'ir (Approved)

Rayne

« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2021, 07:58 AM »
Loving what you’ve got going on so far! Repurposing the tent fabric is such a great idea!  Your idea for the weapons will be cool too. I’m looking forward to seeing it how you do it!

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2021, 09:13 AM »
Commenting to follow this build progress! Great start so far!!

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Tor Johaair

• Tor Johaa'ir
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2021, 06:18 PM »
Some updates:
I obtained a bucket from a friend. A bit of manual labor and we are good to go.  It fits over my glasses, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

I also got a set of vac formed plates through the same person that seemingly could fit no one else in the world. Some trimming and they should work for me.

And, I spent some time this weekend making my soft belt pouches. The fabric is a bit dark, so I will be doing a short bath in RIT Dye Remover to lighten them.

I used two layers of fabric with some interfacing to stiffen it up to help hold the shape.

Next weekend i hope to get some work done on the leather ammo pouches for the gun belt.

Tor Johaa'ir (Approved)

Rayne

« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2021, 08:49 AM »
Yay! I’m glad to see you’re getting the pieces together!

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Mi'ix

« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2021, 09:13 AM »
My apologies for all the sanding you'll have to do on the helmet, but I'm very glad it can fit your glasses in there!

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tor Johaair

• Tor Johaa'ir
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2021, 10:05 AM »
It's still less sanding than I had to do on my OM scratch build.  :laugh:

Thanks again!

Tor Johaa'ir (Approved)

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2021, 10:32 AM »

Interesting concept!

Also you had been previously planning Fenn Shysa build, eeeeeeeeeh?

Personally, going the green on green route sounds real tricky to pull out and still make it look pretty good. My own 2 cents would be to go a darker green flight suit with light olive green plates or flip that around and go light olive green flight suit with dark green plates. That way they pop a little more and look more realistic than the tacky nearly identical green on green from the old 80s comics.

Definitely looking forward to seeing all of these new Protector builds come together though! 2021 is shaping up to be pretty exciting already  :like:

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Kurshi BeJahaal

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2021, 11:52 PM »
I'm telling you, we're gonna have 2/3 of the Protectors in the tri-state area. Haha.

Fenn Beviin

« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2021, 09:20 AM »
I'm telling you, we're gonna have 2/3 of the Protectors in the tri-state area. Haha.

Wait! This is another Michigan/Ohio person?

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Tor Johaair

• Tor Johaa'ir
« Reply #20 on: Feb 25, 2021, 11:01 AM »
Michigan (Tra'cor).  :laugh:

Tor Johaa'ir (Approved)

Fenn Beviin

« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2021, 11:14 AM »
Michigan (Tra'cor).  :laugh:

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuus!!!!!

Mi'ix

« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2021, 04:20 PM »
I feel partially responsible for this.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #23 on: Feb 25, 2021, 04:26 PM »
I feel partially responsible for this.

First Aria for a Privateer surge, now Mi'ix with the Protectors.

Tor Johaair

• Tor Johaa'ir
« Reply #24 on: Feb 27, 2021, 11:40 AM »
So, i picked up a new tool/toy a couple weeks ago and have thus far printed some of my shin tools and am working on printing the A180.

What I am looking for are good 3d files for Boba style gauntlets.  Any suggestions?

Tor Johaa'ir (Approved)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!