Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

How to convert a discreet plate carrier into an approvable Flak Vest

• 7 Replies

Ru'Stor Rawr

• Mjölnir
  • Awards Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Airmobile brigade member Special Operations Brigade Member
Hey Everyone, I've been getting asked a lot lately how i converted a plate carrier into a vest, i have done this twice and im currently working on the 3rd, its pretty easy.

1. Remove all the pockets and velcro (front and Back)

2. Make sure you do not remove the straps at the shoulders your will need them for sizing up the height.

3. Add straps to the sides to make back and front meet, i use 1" leather, make sure the buckle is attached to the back panel that way the excess strap (if any ) hangs on the back not the front of the vest, you can 2 or 3 straps.

4. Add leather to shoulders to replace the nylon straps, before you do use the nylon straps to size the height of the vest. once sized, cut and attach the leather, i used a speedy stitcher and wax thread.

5. Once the leather is attached to the shoulders now you can cut the nylon straps.

6. When attaching the armor, if you iron on velcro the inner padding of the vest will flatten that is normal and will not affect the vest, or you can sew on the velcro up to you, i use velrco and the i attach with screws.

7. If you notice that the vest in the front is poofing out near the armpits or just slightly below just sew in a dart.

8. DONE!

Tools: Speedy Stitcher, Wax Thread, Leather and scissors

added pics for visual reference.

P.S. i have heard people say just turn it inside out, that doesn't work, you still need to add closures and most important, the way the vest is sewn, if you turn it inside out it bunches up and feels uncomfortable.

« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2021, 10:25 PM by Ru'Stor Rawr » Logged

EricL

• Rhasvuul Zeg
That looks really good! Do you have a preferred/trusted vendor? How easy is it to dye? I was hoping to have my kit vest in a dull red. Also, how do you attach shoulder armor then?

Pictures are great, thanks for this tip!

Ru'Stor Rawr

• Mjölnir
  • Awards Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Airmobile brigade member Special Operations Brigade Member
These vest  that are pictured are for my 2 post imperial kits, you don’t attach the shoulders to the vest, the shoulders are attached via an elastic strip that is sewn on to the shoulder of my flight suit.

Not sure how easy it is to dye I never attempted it, but they are only $20.00 so I guess if a mistake is made it’s not that big a loss

This is where I get them from

https://www.opticsplanet.com/vism-discreet-plate-carrier-vest.html?_iv_code=K2-APC-DPCRVT-CVPCVD2975G

EricL

• Rhasvuul Zeg
Right to the flight suit, sounds good. I want to go for a Galaxies kit, and I think the shoulders would attach better that way than to the vest itself. Thanks again!

Ru'Stor Rawr

• Mjölnir
Right to the flight suit, sounds good. I want to go for a Galaxies kit, and I think the shoulders would attach better that way than to the vest itself. Thanks again!
this vest wont work with galaxies plates,. because of the neck  area

EricL

• Rhasvuul Zeg
Is it too narrow to accept the galaxies plates across the neck? No chance to expand as needed with the leather across the shoulders? That’s a real shame, it looks clean and sleek and I had high hopes for a simple vest solution. Back to the drawing board!

Ru'Stor Rawr

• Mjölnir
Is it too narrow to accept the galaxies plates across the neck? No chance to expand as needed with the leather across the shoulders? That’s a real shame, it looks clean and sleek and I had high hopes for a simple vest solution. Back to the drawing board!
  you can add extra material across the neck area from shoulder to shoulder

EricL

• Rhasvuul Zeg
Seems like one way to do it. I’m not gonna be “that guy” arguing with a more experienced Mando on a forum  :D, by the time I’ve added this and that and cut whatever out I may as well just make something from scratch and teach myself to sew. This is the Way and all that. If I make something post-imperial in the future though I’m all over this!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!