Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Arco's planning log: cardboard shreds and reference images abound!

• 244 Replies

Arco'thyel Wyshla

• Certified crazy cat mando
Su cuy'gar! This is the thread where I plan my build, practice painting and weathering swatches, draft cardboard mockups, and spam a whole mess of reference screenshots. I hope my process is useful, especially for lore-driven Post-Imperial mandos!

For those with Post-Imperial builds, this post and this post may be particularly interesting to you.

As of 2/23/22, this is where my kit stands:

Arco is a Post-Imperial narglatch breeder and a Child of the Watch, with custom beskar plates and generic Tribe durasteel plates. Armor inspirations are post-mudhorn / pre-beskar Din Djarin and an unnamed mando from the Tribe. Soft parts inspirations are Post-Imperial mandalorians, Fennec Shand, and Altaïr from Assassin's Creed. My endgame after OM approval will be a hunter / tech aesthetic with furs and LEDs, aiming for Beast Tamer and Light Melee brigades.

Below is my original post. Enjoy!

Hello everyone! My name is Arco and I have so, so many questions. I enjoy being consistent with canon and would be happy to incorporate elements from the EU, but I’m new to the series and would love the input of folks who have delved deeper into the lore than I have just yet.

I’m set on the post-imperial era. Here is my first draft, including paint swatches for the chrome armor:

NOTES

PLEASE NOTE, that is not a loincloth in the image – it’s the sash draping down! It will be more obvious in real life than on Mandocreator. In addition, the flak vest and kama are made of the same materials, but are different pieces.

The chest plate design will be tricky. I love V2 Din’s angular design, but that likely won’t fit my body type, so I’ll have to customize it. I will probably go for a design that combines elements of Bo-Katan, Din, and/or Paz.

Considering the similarities to Din (same helmet design, dark brown soft parts, chest plate derivative, chrome coloration, very possibly an Amban rifle) I will likely add bold symbols and designs to the soft parts to make things more differentiable to a general audience.

I will almost certainly add a Mythosaur design to one of the soft parts and the Clan Yustapir sigil to the armor (after OM approval, of course!).

So, this is my starting off point! However, I have many questions to guide me forward:

LORE QUESTIONS

1. Naming conventions – Other than not using the letters f, x, or z, I’m not sure of any naming conventions in Mando’a. Is there any rhyme or reason to where the apostrophes go in names? Also, is your last name your clan name? My current choices have narrowed to Arco’thyel Wyshla or Arco’thyel Whysha, but if our clan name is our last name, I suppose it’ll be Arco’thyel Yustapir. Do you guys have any thoughts?

2. Canon/EU colors and symbols – I’ve found the list of color meanings, but am trying to find a list of common symbol meanings. I know of group identifiers (Journeyman Protector, Nite Owls, Death Watch, etc), but I’m particularly interested in symbols that have specific meanings, like the Jaig eyes or kill stripes. Are there any others with Mandalorian-specific meanings? What about the triangle on Din’s hand / various helmets?

3. Alphanumeric display – I’m interested in putting Boba’s alphanumeric display on my chest plate, but I have no idea what it’s used for! I like the aesthetic, but I don’t want to use it if I don’t know what it does. Does it have a functional purpose?

KEY CRL CONCERNS

4. Kama – Is it OK to have it split in the back like a tailcoat? How about having it split both in the back and on the sides?

5. Legacy shoulders – Is this acceptable for a post-imperial build? I hope so, because I have a lot of similarities with Din, and these shoulders are great to break up his silhouette. The CRL says that double plates are acceptable but does not mention triple plates – I assume it’s ok because it’s an extension of double plates, but I’d like to check.

6. Visor shape – Are the straight / slanted visor designs gender-specific, or can we pick whichever we like?

7. Weathering the chrome beskar – The CRL of consistent weathering is a big concern for me. I like tattered soft parts, however, my armor will be chrome and I imagine it to be made of beskar, so it won’t have scratches or dents. I’m hesitant to go hard on the blackwash because that will dull the chrome. I may paint symbols on it so I can have chips and scratches in the paint job, but I imagine most of the armor will be plain aside from the chrome gold. Which leads me to….

8. Gold chrome – What can the gold chrome accents be made of? Is there gold beskar? Do Mandalorians use chrome paint? If the accents are paint or a different metal, that gives more weathering options. Either way, I hope it’s OK for me to have tattered soft parts and comparatively unscathed beskar.

9. Flak vest – Can these be sleeveless with the shoulder armors attached to the flight suit, or is it required to have that arm flap?

10. Brigades – After the build is complete and accepted for OM status, I’d like to work on upgrades to join the brigades. However, I cannot see the BRLs for the brigades until I am an OM, so I am quite worried I may design my character wrong and have to redo parts of it! Are there any colors or design choices I should keep in mind for the Beast Tamers? How about the Light Melees?

Those are my questions for now (with a million more well on the way, I’m sure!). I’ll keep updating this thread as I plan out specifics of the build. Please don’t hesitate to offer suggestions!

« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2022, 06:09 PM by Arco'thyel Wyshla » Logged
| Hard Goods WIP | Soft Goods WIP | Planning Log |

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger

Jare talon

• Bic o'r dha tuur par te aru'ese be manda'yaim
Re: First build – Need help with canon lore and design
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2021, 11:08 AM »
This doesn't have the meaning for the symbols but, it does have a list of symbols and says whether the symbol is approvable or not.
https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=199779.0

Arco'thyel Wyshla

« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2021, 11:09 PM »
Hey, thanks for the list! I went through and tried to narrow down Mandalorian-specific ones, and posted what I found in that thread.

Four symbols in particular caught my attention:

Black Bha'lir: Though not Mandalorian, the idea of smugglers with a strict code of ethics is very cool to me. Also, cats are the greatest, so the emblem has that going for it, too. The backstory of the organization is pretty neat and may be fun to incorporate. However, I don't imagine that symbol will be very fun to paint!

Clan Eldar: Considering my stance of “cats are the greatest”, their signet is rad! Though my color scheme is not black, dark green, and orange, and the name “Arco’thyel Eldar” doesn't exactly roll off the tongue with the double 'el'. So, I probably won’t go with it. But dang, do I love that signet…

True Mandalorians: I thought that this was a brigades-only symbol, it’s cool to see that it’s allowed on customs! I’m a big fan of their ideals of honor and the Supercommando Codex versus the status-quo of barbarism. There’s lots of info here, looks like I should read some comics…

Sabine Wren's Starbird: It’s pretty cool that a Mandalorian’s symbol ended up evolving into the Rebel Alliances’ crest! I never made that connection when watching Rebels. 

None of the symbols on the list were the triangle motif that’s used on Mando helmets / Din’s hand. Seems it's still a mystery!  :laugh:

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2021, 11:52 PM »
I'll try to answer the questions I feel knowledgeable enough to answer.

4. Perfectly ok, that's how most of the Kamas I've seen do it.
5. Its pretty safe to assume, quite a few armor pieces are acceptable to be switched between the eras, just not the chestplate.
6. You can have any visor design you want, nothing gender specific, as long as it falls within the CRLs.
10. Normally you want to go for base approvability and then go to brigades, but if you want to go beastmaster and light melee you wont need to change much. With light melee it's basically just don't add bulky stuff, like antennas, (RF's are fine) and add extra armor and weapons after approval. For BM you need natural looking soft goods, and just some accessories. So nothing you need to plan for until your approved.

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2021, 01:01 AM »
I'll do my best to help out. It's good to have questions! Don't shy away from asking!

1. No. You definitely do not have to have your clan name be your last name. In fact, you don't even have to have a last name. There are also definitely grammatical rules to apostrophes and things like that, but don't get too hung up on all this stuff. No one will criticize you for an out of place apostrophe.  :laugh:

2. As far as logos and stuff go, certain crests have certain associations. Fett's for example. Fenn Shysa also has a specific Crest on his chest plate as noted in the Marvel comics. But as for its meaning, I'm not certain. A lot of us Legends/Canon guys really like seeing pre-pro stuff like the painted "ears" on our Protector builds.

As for the triangle, I think it's just a triangle. At least I've not seen any specific meanings. Different eras used different symbols, with the early crusader/crusader Era using a symbol that looked a lot like the Mandalorian predecessors, the Taung.

3. The best I can tell you is it's a life support readout. That's the general consensus.

4. Should be okay. Just work with your local Ruus'alor to me sure.

5. Yes. Legacy shoulders are fine.

6. As long as the visor meets the 2/3 ruling, you should be fine.

7. This will be a bit trickier. You want the weathering levels to be the same on your armor as on your soft goods. You'll want to really settle some grime in the areas where you have recesses or low spots. Lightly weathered soft goods would allow for lightly weathered armor. Keep your local Ruus'alor in the loop for tips and advice!

8. I don't think it matters what it would be made of, as long as you keep it in-universe looking, you should be fine. I really do like the amount of thought you're putting into this build though. However, as mentioned in 7, you're going to need to keep everything consistent.

9. Sleeveless is just fine!

10. Beast tamer/master will require specific damage and heavy weathering to your armor:
Weathering - must be heavily weathered and should include scratch and bite marks that are consistent with operating in the natural world and consistent with frequent animal encounters and attacks.

Beast Hunter requires natural colors to blend into the environment but Beast Tamer does not. Not sure if this will cause you to rethink your plans for brigades. But one way to see brigades is to look into an auxiliary membership. You'll get access to those boards then.

For light melee you'll need to stay in the light to medium category of armor with no bulky parts or protrusions. No specific weathering or colors are listed.

These are all really good questions and I hope you'll continue to ask as they come up.

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Arco'thyel Wyshla

« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2021, 12:20 AM »
Thank you both for the info! I haven’t heard anything from my clan yet, so it’s very exciting to have a Ruus’alor’s input, too. This is all very useful. I spent some time reading about logos and apostrophes. :laugh:

The weathering will be tough, but I suppose I’ll cross that bridge when I get there! I’ve taken a liking to a beast tamer backstory, so it stinks to see it requires heavy weathering. The soft parts will be fun, with bite and claw rips that have been handsewn shut. The armor though, phew! When I get paint and sintra, I’ll have to make some samples and see what kind of grime effects I can get going.

I’ve been looking into crafting methods, and since I’m going for a low-budget build, it’ll be best for me to make my own items when I can.

As far as armor goes, I plan on using sintra for most of it, perhaps 3D printing the helmet and gauntlets. My brother has been talking about getting a 3D printer, so maybe that’ll work out. Quite intimidating to worry about failed prints, though!

I’ll be working on the soft parts and/or the helmet first. I found these scrubs in chocolate that should work for a flight suit, but two pants and a shirt will be $45 :-X. I’m wondering if it would be cheaper to make them from scratch, but I have no sewing experience, so it may be best to just get the scrubs to keep myself from getting overwhelmed – that’s a genuine concern since this is all new to me and I have “either-make-it-perfect-or-give-up” tendencies.

I’m itching to go browse potential options at Joann’s and thrift stores! But I need to be careful of COVID, so no window shopping for me. Let's see what digital swatches I can find on their website...

Kurshi BeJahaal

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2021, 02:37 AM »
My first kit was a budget build. $45 isn't outrageous for your flightsuit. I bought Red Kap Coveralls and think I spent $35. Then I had another $90 in the vest. Since I'm not great with sewing, those were worth the purchase for me. I think I had around $300-$350 in my first kit. So I'm all about doing it yourself!

I scratch built everything else including gauntlets and my helmet, but ended up buying a Rubie's Fett Helmet and modifying it for under $45 dollars. Unfortunately, it's been sold out for months now.

3D printing can be intimidating but some friends of mine break the print down into smaller sections to eliminate last minute fails. But I don't have a printer, so I'm not much help there. If you don't get feedback from your clan, you're always welcome to reach out to me on here and I'll do my best to help.

Matchstick1021

• Your Daily Splash of Orange
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2021, 12:56 PM »
Don’t be too worried about failed prints, it comes with the territory. Print a few small things at first to get your settings dialed in and that should work out most of the issues. However you’ll still have mishaps, I’ve been printing things for over 6 years and stuff just sometimes happens.

Helmets and gauntlets are some great things to print.

Like Kurshi said, keep reaching out!

Sucking at something is the first step towards being sort of good at something.
MMCC#2424
Rancor Clan
Traffic Cone #38

Arco'thyel Wyshla

« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2021, 06:42 PM »
Thank you for the reassurances! Looks like I’ll need to reevaluate my mindset on the budget. I’m the type of person who balks at anything over $5, so it’s a struggle. :laugh:

Good to hear about the prints! I’ve read horror stories of faulty nozzles, warped print beds, etc, but successful prints are fantastic. Just gotta remind myself that if I run into a problem, there’s probably someone who knows how to solve it.

Been thinking about weapons… thought I’d check my local cons’ weapons policies alongside MMCC's before I start planning what to make. For my local comicon, prop guns cannot be mistaken for contemporary real-world guns, and they must be rendered inoperable, along with a solid orange cap on the barrel. My local anime con, however, has more rules on top of these:

• No strobe lights (Nooo, my vibroblade! At least I can program a solid light mode into it).
  • No airsoft, paintball, or other firearms, even if modified with bright colors and no moving parts.
  • Nerf guns are acceptable if they are modified with bright colors and no moving parts.
  • The orange plug on prop guns must be at least 6mm long and cover the entire circumference of the barrel (This is rather confusing for something like the Amban rifle!).
And finally, for all prop guns…
  • “50% of the exterior surface area of your prop must be a bright, noticeable color such as: bright red, bright blue, pink, neon green, orange, yellow, bright purple, or a combination thereof. The majority of your prop must NOT be black, brown, silver, or another dark color, though these colors may be a part of your prop’s color scheme.”
I, uh. Don’t know what to do about that one. :laugh: I’ve really grown fond of a sandy/earthy color palate for this build, so I’m not sure if having the rifle be 50% neon is the way to go! I may email them and ask if gold / copper / rose gold etc. would count as a “bright, noticeable color”.

Alternatively, perhaps I could bypass the color restriction altogether if the trigger and the scope were removable so I can alter it to be a stun baton when I go to that con. That fits in-universe iirc – isn’t the Amban rifle illegal? “Oh, it was an Amban rifle, but the New Republic had me remove its disintegration capabilities...” :D

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2021, 07:23 PM »
At that point, there’s no way to carry an MMCC-approved blaster. Your local con basically wants to make sure any guns look like toys, and the CRLs are designed to make sure any blasters don’t look like toys. You are better off just carrying a melee weapon.

Arco'thyel Wyshla

« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2021, 03:07 AM »
Realistically, I know it’s more practical to make the Amban rifle convertible to a stun baton. On the other hand, my mind is kind of smitten by the challenge of painting it to satisfy both rulesets! I wonder if they’d allow candy chrome metal parts with weathering and blackwash… if the security team is the same people I’ve spoken with before, they may appreciate that kind of creativity.

Though that does bring up the question, is it OK by MMCC’s standards to go to a con with orange barrel tips and con security’s ziptie tags on your weapons? Or does that break the illusion too much? For this con, I know they will ziptie any weapon, including melee weapons.

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2021, 04:53 AM »
At that point, there’s no way to carry an MMCC-approved blaster. Your local con basically wants to make sure any guns look like toys, and the CRLs are designed to make sure any blasters don’t look like toys. You are better off just carrying a melee weapon.

I think this is the best advice. I've had my carbine kicked back at a few events because it looks real. I use a paintball gun base with all metal parts. I don't have an orange tip on it because I don't want to break the realistic look.

Most cons will check your weapon and give you a ziptie or tie a ribbon around it. This is entire acceptable and we encourage our members to follow the safety and check in procedures, complying with the event requests. The last thing we want is someone getting in trouble, or worse hurt, by trying to bypass a weapons check!

However, it's entirely possible to use something like a Westar 35 for the con. If you make a holster for one, the blasters are easy enough to make/purchase that you can have one for that event and one for others. A great option would be to use a 3D printed pistol of some sort for this con, one that's easy to have a second one replicated in the bright colors. That or just go weapons free for the event. Also, entire acceptable. The MMCC will never make you have a weapon for an event if there might be complications.  :)

Sylvilagus

• Kerru Bhan
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2021, 10:48 AM »
...Neon colored gaff tape wrapped around the gun, that can be removed later?

She told me never venture out among the asteroids
But I did, I did, I did
And she said that the Milky Way was something to avoid
And I did, I did, I did
She said that Venus was too hot and Saturn not much fun
Bug-eyed monsters tended to be just a trifle dumb
She said I'd need a blaster and I'd need a freezer-gun
And I did, I did, I did...

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2021, 11:30 AM »
...Neon colored gaff tape wrapped around the gun, that can be removed later?

Interesting idea! I guess that just comes down to the con's rules. But that might work!

Arco'thyel Wyshla

« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2021, 12:52 PM »
The gaff tape is actually what the con does! They have it at their security table and will help folks apply it if their firearm doesn't meet the orange tip / 50% rule. It's a nice gesture, but I think I would opt to cover it then bring it back to my room and go with just melee weapons -- it's more fun to have a consistent costume when you can.

I looked more into it and turns out white counts as a "bright, noticeable color", so there could be room for creativity to make an approvable color scheme! I may reach out to the team and ask about weathering a candy chrome / gold / rose gold, etc. If not, then the stun baton conversion will be a nice compromise I think!

Also, it just occurred to me: I've taken a liking to the idea of having a thousand throwing knives. But each of those throwing knives will need to be tagged by security. I better bring them cupcakes or something for having to deal with my nonsense. :laugh:

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2021, 05:03 PM »
Also, it just occurred to me: I've taken a liking to the idea of having a thousand throwing knives. But each of those throwing knives will need to be tagged by security. I better bring them cupcakes or something for having to deal with my nonsense. :laugh:

That's their job. Make 'em earn it, that's what I say!

;)

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2021, 08:52 PM »
We’re Mandalorians. Weapons are part of our religion.

Arco'thyel Wyshla

« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2021, 10:56 PM »
Oh man, those pictures are awesome! I gotta get my kit built so I can run around with a bunch of Mandos, that looks like a blast!

We’re Mandalorians. Weapons are part of our religion.

Yeah, we demand a religious exemption from the venue's reasonable safety concerns! :laugh:

« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2021, 12:17 AM »
I would recommend contacting the con-com for that particular convention and see if you can get some clarification on the rule.  It is possible that it is an ether/or rule, rather than both.  (IE: it just needs one those options, the orange tip OR the coloring.)  Even if they confirm that it does need to be both, it puts you on better terms with the people in charge.  And thus, more likely to work with you on things, rather than fight you on everything.

Another option, NERF blasters.  Specifically the Zombie Strike line.  They fit the color and tip criteria, and still look like they could fit in the Star Wars universe (for the most part).  You would just need to remove the logos.  But it would be more acceptable with the convention.  Though I know they are not allowed as part of your regular kit.

Hope this helps ^_^

Arco'thyel Wyshla

« Reply #19 on: Mar 10, 2021, 10:56 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions! I sent the security team an inquiry to see what they think, it'll be interesting to have their input.

I’ve been writing up some notes for my build! Here’s some thoughts and some questions:

BACKSTORY:

All I know for sure is that Arco primarily works in a deciduous forest / grassland biome (that’s so this Kansan can get nice pictures!), and is very likely a Narglatch breeder! She tamed different subspecies of Narglatch to train as mounts, guards, and pets. Being such a big fan of felines, I wouldn’t be surprised if she breeds luxury Tookas and Loth cats on the side.

Is Arco a foundling? With such a long name that deviates from the structure of other Mandos, maybe so!

Is Arco a Child of the Watch? I’d like to think so, since they are the ones who got me interested in Mandalorian culture. On the other hand, I overheat easily, so I’d like to take my helmet off… So maybe not!

SOFT PARTS:

Flight suit: Possibly these scrubs in chocolate. Do I want to have decorative topstitching like Din?

Flak vest: Something like this duck cloth in natural. Gotta check and make sure it’s not coated with something waterproof -- I'll want it to be very breathable.

Waist items:
  • Sash: I want this to be tattered, so it will be a more delicate fabric. I like the texture of this hopsack linen.
  • Belt: No concrete plans. Faux leather or sturdy fabric. Has pouches and holds throwing knives.
  • Bandolier: No concrete plans, will be used if the Amban rifle is made. Faux leather or sturdy fabric. Holds Amban rounds and throwing knives.
  • Kama: Same material as flak vest. It’s sturdier than the sash so it’s less tattered, but will probably have some handsewn rips. Will likely have a Mythosaur symbol.
Boots: No concrete plans. Faux leather from the thrift store. Holds throwing knives.

Gloves: No concrete plans. From the thrift store. Will have hand plates.

Upper arm: Faux leather or sturdy fabric. Holds throwing knives.

Cape: Din-style pleats in the neck, but perhaps a half-circle pattern for extra swoosh. Materials are tough! I’m looking at upholstery fabrics for now… As far as decorations go, do I want the Mythosaur on it? Do I want a fur/spike mane along the upper half like a Narglatch pelt?

ARMOR:

Will need to be light-medium to allow for the option of the Light Melee brigade in the future. This is a bit tricky to determine given how the armor classes guide is written for modern rather than post-imperial CRLs, so I’ll have to run it by them when I get a better idea of my plans. Right now it seems I’m going for CRL minimum as far as post-imperial goes. It’s worth noting that a likely option for my chest plate is an edit of Paz’s heavy plate.

Helmet: Will be 3D-printed, likely Din Djarin style. May remove the mohawk if possible. Can I add holes or slots for ventilation?

Chest plate: Will likely be made of sintra due to sizing concerns. Due to my unforgiving body type, I’ll have to custom-make a design – this will require lots of research, references, and cardboard mockups! It will either be heavily based on Bo-Katan’s, or it will be a cross between Din’s and Paz’s.

Shoulders: Made of sintra, with trauma plates, and a Narglatch signet on the right shoulder. I’ll have to consider the construction of the signet. I may put the Yustapir Clan sigil on the other shoulder, but the clan doesn’t seem very active?

Backplate: Sintra. Will likely be based on Din’s design, because that’s the only one we have references for! It may have Sabine’s Starbird in an orange/white gradient.

Hand plates: Sintra. One hand plate has Sabine’s Starbird on it in ombre orange/white. The other either has the True Mandalorians symbol, the Mythosaur, or will be left blank for the Beast Tamer symbol in the future.

Thigh plates / shin plates: Made of sintra, with trauma plates.

Gauntlets: This is the design I’m most confused about. It’ll likely be 3D printed, but I am open to sintra. I had a fun idea for a Beast Tamer: A bite gauntlet!! I’m thinking one gauntlet could be plain for defense, and the other can have a grapple and a flamethrower, which could come in handy for this occupation -- I'll need to find references for those. The bite gauntlet will be large and take up most of the forearm.

Attachment methods: Right now, I’m planning on Velcro for the armor. I may have to do something different for the gauntlets, which will be tricky, since I don’t have drills or anything for hinges.

Balaclava: I’m thinking of having an armored balaclava like I saw in the animated shows (Can’t recall who I saw it on!).

WEAPONS:

Throwing Knives: I want a million of these. On my belt. On my boots. On my upper arm. Under my helmet. I take off the helmet to reveal my face, and I’m just all knives under there. They’ll probably be made of sintra, but I’ll need to look into the design – let’s see if I can find screenshots of Xi’an’s knives. I’ll need to keep holster designs in mind, too.

Amban Rifle: I prefer melee weapons, but it’s a good idea for a Mandalorian to have a ranged option, wouldn’t you say? I love what this rifle does to your silhouette, and the stun baton would be very useful for a Beast Tamer!

Vibroblade?: Could be a sword or a knife, depending on what is convenient to carry. I plan on using an Arduino to program alternately strobing lights on the edge of the blade to simulate vibration.

Electro-whip?: I liked this idea because I love glowy things and it fits the Beast Tamer backstory, but I believe this is just a shaft that’s ignited like a lightsaber, which is not very exciting to have on your belt. I’ll have to watch TCW again to check.

Tranquilizer darts?: Another thing that could be great for a Beast Tamer! I’ll need to research swarzy options, I’ll grab some screenshots of what Kuiil used.

QUESTIONS:

1.   Should I know anything about thrift store shopping? Primarily, if boots aren’t the right color, can faux leather be dyed?

2.   Which arm should have which gauntlet? I’m left-handed, so I was thinking my dominant arm would have the weapons and the non-dominant hand would have the bite gauntlet, but should it be the other way around?

3.   Speaking of bite gauntlets, any ideas on how I should do that? The ones for dogs I see on google are fabric. Can I have an armored gauntlet with a fabric outside, or is it not allowed to be covered?

4.   Can the thigh plates be overlapping in layers like the legacy shoulders?

5.   For ventilation on the gauntlets or helmet, can I cut small details out, and back it with a metal mesh?

6.   For a Din helmet, will glasses be an issue when putting it on? (Yeah, this one worries me quite a bit!).

7.   How do you make a 3D signet like Din’s? Is there a type of clay that could work?

8.   For the scrubs, if the Beast Tamer BRLs require natural fabric, does this qualify? It’s 65% polyester/ 35% cotton, and the texture looks rather plain. Compared to the other fabrics I’m looking at, I’m worried it actually looks plain and costume-ish.

9.   For the scrubs, I know we’re supposed to remove certain pockets – but what kind of pocket options do we have? How do you store your phone/keys/wallet?

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #20 on: Mar 11, 2021, 12:08 AM »
Great plans and great questions. I'm going to try to go through those one by one for you when I get a moment!  :)

Not tonight though. I'm too tired to give good replies.  :laugh:

Arminius

« Reply #21 on: Mar 11, 2021, 12:17 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions! I sent the security team an inquiry to see what they think, it'll be interesting to have their input.

I’ve been writing up some notes for my build! Here’s some thoughts and some questions:

BACKSTORY:

All I know for sure is that Arco primarily works in a deciduous forest / grassland biome (that’s so this Kansan can get nice pictures!), and is very likely a Narglatch breeder! She tamed different subspecies of Narglatch to train as mounts, guards, and pets. Being such a big fan of felines, I wouldn’t be surprised if she breeds luxury Tookas and Loth cats on the side.

Is Arco a foundling? With such a long name that deviates from the structure of other Mandos, maybe so!

Is Arco a Child of the Watch? I’d like to think so, since they are the ones who got me interested in Mandalorian culture. On the other hand, I overheat easily, so I’d like to take my helmet off… So maybe not!

SOFT PARTS:

Flight suit: Possibly these scrubs in chocolate. Do I want to have decorative topstitching like Din?

Flak vest: Something like this duck cloth in natural. Gotta check and make sure it’s not coated with something waterproof -- I'll want it to be very breathable.

Waist items:
  • Sash: I want this to be tattered, so it will be a more delicate fabric. I like the texture of this hopsack linen.
  • Belt: No concrete plans. Faux leather or sturdy fabric. Has pouches and holds throwing knives.
  • Bandolier: No concrete plans, will be used if the Amban rifle is made. Faux leather or sturdy fabric. Holds Amban rounds and throwing knives.
  • Kama: Same material as flak vest. It’s sturdier than the sash so it’s less tattered, but will probably have some handsewn rips. Will likely have a Mythosaur symbol.
Boots: No concrete plans. Faux leather from the thrift store. Holds throwing knives.

Gloves: No concrete plans. From the thrift store. Will have hand plates.

Upper arm: Faux leather or sturdy fabric. Holds throwing knives.

Cape: Din-style pleats in the neck, but perhaps a half-circle pattern for extra swoosh. Materials are tough! I’m looking at upholstery fabrics for now… As far as decorations go, do I want the Mythosaur on it? Do I want a fur/spike mane along the upper half like a Narglatch pelt?

ARMOR:

Will need to be light-medium to allow for the option of the Light Melee brigade in the future. This is a bit tricky to determine given how the armor classes guide is written for modern rather than post-imperial CRLs, so I’ll have to run it by them when I get a better idea of my plans. Right now it seems I’m going for CRL minimum as far as post-imperial goes. It’s worth noting that a likely option for my chest plate is an edit of Paz’s heavy plate.

Helmet: Will be 3D-printed, likely Din Djarin style. May remove the mohawk if possible. Can I add holes or slots for ventilation?

Chest plate: Will likely be made of sintra due to sizing concerns. Due to my unforgiving body type, I’ll have to custom-make a design – this will require lots of research, references, and cardboard mockups! It will either be heavily based on Bo-Katan’s, or it will be a cross between Din’s and Paz’s.

Shoulders: Made of sintra, with trauma plates, and a Narglatch signet on the right shoulder. I’ll have to consider the construction of the signet. I may put the Yustapir Clan sigil on the other shoulder, but the clan doesn’t seem very active?

Backplate: Sintra. Will likely be based on Din’s design, because that’s the only one we have references for! It may have Sabine’s Starbird in an orange/white gradient.

Hand plates: Sintra. One hand plate has Sabine’s Starbird on it in ombre orange/white. The other either has the True Mandalorians symbol, the Mythosaur, or will be left blank for the Beast Tamer symbol in the future.

Thigh plates / shin plates: Made of sintra, with trauma plates.

Gauntlets: This is the design I’m most confused about. It’ll likely be 3D printed, but I am open to sintra. I had a fun idea for a Beast Tamer: A bite gauntlet!! I’m thinking one gauntlet could be plain for defense, and the other can have a grapple and a flamethrower, which could come in handy for this occupation -- I'll need to find references for those. The bite gauntlet will be large and take up most of the forearm.

Attachment methods: Right now, I’m planning on Velcro for the armor. I may have to do something different for the gauntlets, which will be tricky, since I don’t have drills or anything for hinges.

Balaclava: I’m thinking of having an armored balaclava like I saw in the animated shows (Can’t recall who I saw it on!).

WEAPONS:

Throwing Knives: I want a million of these. On my belt. On my boots. On my upper arm. Under my helmet. I take off the helmet to reveal my face, and I’m just all knives under there. They’ll probably be made of sintra, but I’ll need to look into the design – let’s see if I can find screenshots of Xi’an’s knives. I’ll need to keep holster designs in mind, too.

Amban Rifle: I prefer melee weapons, but it’s a good idea for a Mandalorian to have a ranged option, wouldn’t you say? I love what this rifle does to your silhouette, and the stun baton would be very useful for a Beast Tamer!

Vibroblade?: Could be a sword or a knife, depending on what is convenient to carry. I plan on using an Arduino to program alternately strobing lights on the edge of the blade to simulate vibration.

Electro-whip?: I liked this idea because I love glowy things and it fits the Beast Tamer backstory, but I believe this is just a shaft that’s ignited like a lightsaber, which is not very exciting to have on your belt. I’ll have to watch TCW again to check.

Tranquilizer darts?: Another thing that could be great for a Beast Tamer! I’ll need to research swarzy options, I’ll grab some screenshots of what Kuiil used.

QUESTIONS:

1.   Should I know anything about thrift store shopping? Primarily, if boots aren’t the right color, can faux leather be dyed?

2.   Which arm should have which gauntlet? I’m left-handed, so I was thinking my dominant arm would have the weapons and the non-dominant hand would have the bite gauntlet, but should it be the other way around?

1. Thrift stores can be a very good place to find things for your kit. I found my gloves at a local market.

2. I'm right-handed and decided that I would have my gauntlets be fairly simple, meaning no more than three accesories per gauntlet. In the left one which would be my "tech gauntlet" I would put a grapple hook, control panel and a small screen. In my "weapons gauntlet" would be a retractable blade, a flamethrower, and a small radar screen.

The strongest stars have hearts of kyber, but the strongest warriors have hearts of beskar.
« Reply #22 on: Mar 11, 2021, 03:55 AM »
I'm just following cause I love where this is going and I wanna see the throwing knives, I also want plenty of em.

Jare talon

• Bic o'r dha tuur par te aru'ese be manda'yaim
« Reply #23 on: Mar 11, 2021, 08:45 AM »
Just make sure you are OM before putting a clan signet because I'm pretty sure that will be a flag in the application process.

Arco'thyel Wyshla

« Reply #24 on: Mar 11, 2021, 12:22 PM »
Great plans and great questions. I'm going to try to go through those one by one for you when I get a moment!  :)

Not tonight though. I'm too tired to give good replies.  :laugh:

Well that's fair! I threw up a huge wall of text at like, midnight. :laugh:

1. Thrift stores can be a very good place to find things for your kit. I found my gloves at a local market.

2. I'm right-handed and decided that I would have my gauntlets be fairly simple, meaning no more than three accesories per gauntlet. In the left one which would be my "tech gauntlet" I would put a grapple hook, control panel and a small screen. In my "weapons gauntlet" would be a retractable blade, a flamethrower, and a small radar screen.

I'm hoping the thrift stores will prove fruitful! Can't wait for my family to get vaccinated so I can go window shopping. It's useful to hear that you're planning the weapons gauntlet on your dominant arm, too. And you just reminded me, there's lots of options for electronics in the gauntlet! It'd be cool to get a keypad that types Mando'a onto a screen...

I'm just following cause I love where this is going and I wanna see the throwing knives, I also want plenty of em.

Cool! I'll be sure to post screenshots of Xi'an's knives when I get a chance to rewatch it.

Just make sure you are OM before putting a clan signet because I'm pretty sure that will be a flag in the application process.

Oh, great point, I should have clarified! The clan sigil would be blank until OM acceptance, and any brigades sigils will be blank until brigades acceptance.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!