Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Build - Concept & Questions

• 46 Replies

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
Re: First Build - Concept & Questions
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2021, 02:12 PM »
I've got a pull saw or two - they're great. Coping saw is for smaller, tighter cuts.

And now, for something completely different:

It's color scheme opinion time! What does everyone think?

Flight suit is most likely pewter gray Dickie's, the plates are NOT meant to be metallic in color, and the yellow is meant to be antique gold or brass.

Made with MandoCreator.com. I reserve the right to choose my final color scheme, if that ain't obvious. :)

Should I make this a quiz thingie? Is that even an option? I'll think about it.

Thanks for the great tips so far, vode. I didn't even expect the planning to be this much fun.

Personally I would go for #4 but make the iron heart gold. I feel like an all gold collar plate would just look "off" unless you also plan to add some of your darker grey accents to it some where. Overall though, I like where your head concept is so far! And I also enjoy those little easter eggs on kits from the old school Star Wars stuff - like the Sector Range badge. As it stands currently though, I don't think you will be CRL compliant with just 1 thigh plate unless you either have a pouch on the other thigh or potentially a holster that wraps around your leg in that area but I may be wrong. That may have been mentioned previously so my apologies if that has been mentioned already but your local Ruus can chime in more on that.

Also - good choice on switching up from the MDF foam. As you mentioned though, building form scratch can be difficult and a lot of times it may be easier and or more cost effective to simply modified something cheap you found at the dollar store or local thrift store.

I have a build thread on the forums where I have taken a lot of dollar store and thrift store weapon finds and turned them into Star Warsy looking props. I believe the link should still be listed in my signature - should be the very bottom link. If not.... you should be able to find it by searching "blaster addiction"  :laugh:

« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 02:16 PM by Fenn Beviin » Logged
"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Sylvilagus

• Kerru Bhan
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2021, 03:28 PM »
I'm into either #3 or Fenn's #4 idea.

She told me never venture out among the asteroids
But I did, I did, I did
And she said that the Milky Way was something to avoid
And I did, I did, I did
She said that Venus was too hot and Saturn not much fun
Bug-eyed monsters tended to be just a trifle dumb
She said I'd need a blaster and I'd need a freezer-gun
And I did, I did, I did...

Ravlin Todric

• We can do this the easy way, or the fun way.
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2021, 07:26 PM »
Thanks, Fenn! I've actually been using your Blaster Addiction thread for reference and inspiration for a while. I share your capacity for weapons addiction, but have not yet built the arsenal to prove it.

As it stands currently though, I don't think you will be CRL compliant with just 1 thigh plate unless you either have a pouch on the other thigh or potentially a holster that wraps around your leg in that area but I may be wrong. That may have been mentioned previously so my apologies if that has been mentioned already but your local Ruus can chime in more on that.

It hasn't been mentioned - and now seems conspicuous in its absence. I can't find anything about that in the CRL's - just something saying certain pockets have to be removed. I do eventually want to add some iron hearts on tabs or cord - fallen family, as it were, and perhaps friends and extras (I've heard some Mercs trade them at cons) - but those details were a ways off, possibly even post-approval. (That's possible, right - adding something to your kit after being an OM, getting App Team approval on the addition without resubmitting the whole thing?)

I'm happy to put something there if I need to - perhaps a cross-draw holster or my knife sheath - and thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'll ask my clan and take a look at some more OM pictures of light/medium armors.

Thanks Syl! A lot of people like 3. I'm leaning there myself. Fenn makes an interesting observation about the collar plate - I'll check that out before I paint it.

"Looks like I'm takin' a break; really, I'm just reloading."

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2021, 07:43 PM »
Personally I would go for #4 but make the iron heart gold. I feel like an all gold collar plate would just look "off" unless you also plan to add some of your darker grey accents to it some where. Overall though, I like where your head concept is so far! And I also enjoy those little easter eggs on kits from the old school Star Wars stuff - like the Sector Range badge. As it stands currently though, I don't think you will be CRL compliant with just 1 thigh plate unless you either have a pouch on the other thigh or potentially a holster that wraps around your leg in that area but I may be wrong. That may have been mentioned previously so my apologies if that has been mentioned already but your local Ruus can chime in more on that.

Also - good choice on switching up from the MDF foam. As you mentioned though, building form scratch can be difficult and a lot of times it may be easier and or more cost effective to simply modified something cheap you found at the dollar store or local thrift store.

I have a build thread on the forums where I have taken a lot of dollar store and thrift store weapon finds and turned them into Star Warsy looking props. I believe the link should still be listed in my signature - should be the very bottom link. If not.... you should be able to find it by searching "blaster addiction"  :laugh:

Thanks, Fenn! I've actually been using your Blaster Addiction thread for reference and inspiration for a while. I share your capacity for weapons addiction, but have not yet built the arsenal to prove it.

It hasn't been mentioned - and now seems conspicuous in its absence. I can't find anything about that in the CRL's - just something saying certain pockets have to be removed. I do eventually want to add some iron hearts on tabs or cord - fallen family, as it were, and perhaps friends and extras (I've heard some Mercs trade them at cons) - but those details were a ways off, possibly even post-approval. (That's possible, right - adding something to your kit after being an OM, getting App Team approval on the addition without resubmitting the whole thing?)

I'm happy to put something there if I need to - perhaps a cross-draw holster or my knife sheath - and thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'll ask my clan and take a look at some more OM pictures of light/medium armors.

Thanks Syl! A lot of people like 3. I'm leaning there myself. Fenn makes an interesting observation about the collar plate - I'll check that out before I paint it.

From the modern CRLs:

Asymmetrical armor is allowed, e.g. applicants can have only one shin, one thigh plate, or a combination of different styles, such as a separate knee and shin on one leg, and a shnee on the other.

So you are fine with just one thigh plate.

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2021, 10:29 PM »
I was going to touch on this but Tramp beat me to it. Since thighs are not required, having just one is no issue. If it were knees, you'd need both for sure.

Also adding to your kit after OM doesn't require App Team approval. Trophies and things like you're talking about usually don't need any approval but you may want to run bigger updates by your Ruus. They'll need to give the okay on armor swaps and things like that.  :)

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Ravlin Todric

« Reply #30 on: Jul 31, 2021, 03:46 AM »
HOO-HOO, boy, has it been a while. I had some family matters to attend to, but hopefully I can start making some progress again.

Thanks for the clarification on the thigh plates. I was pretty sure it'd be alright, but I trust Fenn and his blaster addiction, so it was worth checking up on.

Progress should pick up again, but while construction begins I have questions about paint. Specifically, what color is best/most popular/most effective as the base color? I'm referring to the color the weathering will reach down to - the durasteel, in my case. Past experience says paint doesn't stick well to other metallic paint, but that was a few years ago with questionable (at best) spray paints that may or may not have been older than I am. Whatever brand I choose - Krylon, Rustoleum - I'm going to use that brand exclusively to try and ensure the layers play well together.

To that end, anyone have a good recommendation for a good dark gray and/or gunmetal metallic spray paint? Thanks in advance.

On the plus side, I've got a good pair of boots now. Flight suit will probably be tucked into them, unless I decide to use an older pair, in which case I'll need spats or gaiters.

Fenn Beviin

« Reply #31 on: Jul 31, 2021, 02:07 PM »
Life tends to get in the way of costume building. Hopefully all is well and good to see you back at it.

Personally, I pretty much only use rustoleum paints. If you are looking for a dark grey - Rustoleum Gunmetal gray might be worth looking into. I have been using it as a base metal underneath a silver coat to make it look old in places and it has been working wonders. It will also be the base coat of paint for an Open Seasoms version of Montross that I am painting for a commission. At some angles it looks relatively bright and metallic and others it looks darker.  :like:

Looks like this

« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2021, 02:13 PM by Fenn Beviin » Logged

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Ravlin Todric

« Reply #32 on: Aug 01, 2021, 03:22 AM »
That's Gunmetal Gray? Definitely worth looking into for the base coat. I presume that's the Matte Metallic Paint & Primer?

If so, that may have answered quite a few questions. I'd forgotten about paint and primer all-in-one.

In the past, I've liked Rustoleum too - but then I was using the indoor-outdoor stuff on things like theatre flats and stage floors. Very limited requirements. I think "matte black" and "paint" were the only two qualifications at the time. Now, it's a little different.

A deeper dive into the main color - so, the darker gray over the basecoat - may have to wait until I have my flak vest on hand. I still don't know what color it's going to be, but black is looking like a possibility. We'll have to see - maybe if I can find a gray-green or a greenish black, I can achieve the look I wanted when I started planning all this. Wouldn't that be something?

The green poncho may also change - it's currently a thick blanket. I'm heat-resistant, but I'm not THAT heat-resistant. I'll find something thinner and make another. Good news is, if there's ever a Con in Antarctica, I'm covered!

P.S. Fenn, that armor looks dope. Very well done. Sintra?

Fenn Beviin

« Reply #33 on: Aug 01, 2021, 10:49 AM »
Yep that link you posted is the paint I am using! And thanks! Armor is 6mm sintra.

As for the cloak - look into double weave muslin. It ls thin and drapes well. It's what I use for my cloak. If it doesn't come in the green you want, it'd very easy to dye

Arco'thyel Wyshla

• Certified crazy cat mando
« Reply #34 on: Aug 01, 2021, 11:57 AM »
The Gunmetal Grey is a nice looking basecoat for durasteel, I'll have to check it out myself! I've also heard good things about Dark Steel, and Rustoleum has hammered options that look interesting as well. Easy to get paralyzed by all the options.

About the flak vest color, I wonder if it would be possible to get black fabric and then dye it green to get a color tint? I know Rit has a good selection of color formulas if you started with white fabric, too. I've no experience dyeing fabric yet, but food for thought!

| Hard Goods WIP | Soft Goods WIP | Planning Log |

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger

Sylvilagus

• Kerru Bhan
« Reply #35 on: Aug 01, 2021, 12:17 PM »
I use Rustoleum Metallic Aluminum for my basecoat. It's a brighter silver, but it's very smooth and looks like metal. This blog has some swatches of a few of the metallic colors, if that helps any.

Dyeing should always start with a lighter color and go darker, so unless your base black is very faded and washed out, it's better to start with green and dye black over the top. Black dye on its own over colored fabric usually lets a little of the base color show through. If you want jet black, you need to also add a complementary color to the dyebath.

She told me never venture out among the asteroids
But I did, I did, I did
And she said that the Milky Way was something to avoid
And I did, I did, I did
She said that Venus was too hot and Saturn not much fun
Bug-eyed monsters tended to be just a trifle dumb
She said I'd need a blaster and I'd need a freezer-gun
And I did, I did, I did...

Ravlin Todric

« Reply #36 on: Aug 01, 2021, 02:40 PM »
Thanks all! Knowing that about the paint makes me feel a lot better.

Just to clarify - the flak vest will probably be gray or black; the cloak can be any accent color that works; and the armor main color is what I'd like to be greenish black. I probably won't be dyeing anything, at least this time around.

Thanks, all! So much to do now. Including...drum roll please....

...a bonk staff. For bonking those pesky stormtroopers and Hutt mercenaries.

Arco'thyel Wyshla

• Certified crazy cat mando
« Reply #37 on: Aug 01, 2021, 04:34 PM »
Oop, sorry for misreading! :laugh:

There are options for greenish black paint, even if you can't find that shade at the store. Custom spray paint has to be special ordered and is pricier than off the shelf, but still, having a spray paint color unique to your armor... that could very well be worth it!

This may have a different look than a single flat color, but you could also check out transparent or candy spray paints. There are spray tints used for headlights (TIL Rustoleum has one), so you could play around with a dark green basecoat with varying levels of black tint over top. Candy paints are similar, and DipYourCar has done some promising tests with them. Of course, he's using car paint with a glossier finish than traditional durasteel armor, but I imagine a matte base or matte clearcoat could dial it back depending on the look you're going for.

A bonk staff! Are you thinking a spiky bonk staff (gaffi stick), or do you have something else in mind?

| Hard Goods WIP | Soft Goods WIP | Planning Log |

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger

Ravlin Todric

« Reply #38 on: Aug 01, 2021, 08:47 PM »
No sweat, conversations get carried away and it's good info anyway.

I hesitate to try a mix of paints or anything custom-ordered - just a hesitancy, mind you, based purely on personal preference and always wanting to reuse things for other projects. I have weathering ideas in mind, and the two-coat mix may or may not play well - I'd rather not mess with that quite yet. There's one other reason, and it's kind of hard to describe, and it's not a reason that works for everyone: I actually kind of like just using what I can get my hands on. It's a strange mindset, but I think it comes from the way I make props. I have an idea, but the materials and tools kind of...create their own thing because I can't get it exactly the way I want it. To me, that creates a cool story, kind of the...unanticipated adventure, a new twist even in my own creation. It's also why I like collaborative brainstorming. In one way, it's a coping strategy so I don't become a wreck when it turns out slightly different from "optimal".

That take isn't for everyone, and that's perfectly fine. Just the way I like to roll.

Yup, a bonk stick! Just a quarterstaff, really, perhaps an old landing strut Ravlin decided to use for hiking. I'd kind of call it a vibrostaff, except those are sort of explained as having a blade. It could be called a techstaff, probably. The design I'm working on is modular, though - I'm planning on using threaded PVC over a dowel to make it collapsible - so I could (and probably will) make a few different heads for it. Axe, spear, glaive...ooh, how about a vibro-halberd?

Various flavors of poke and ouch, shown here as halberds and other pole arms in a museum (probably) in Switzerland. Image from Wikimedia.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #39 on: Aug 02, 2021, 12:37 AM »
Quarterstaves are canon. Remember Rey used one throughout the sequel trilogy.

Ravlin Todric

« Reply #40 on: Aug 09, 2021, 10:35 PM »
I know quarterstaves are canon; it's more a question of whether mine is just a staff, or a tech- or vibro-weapon as well. The first iteration will essentially be a quarterstaff - I just picked up most of the materials today, but of course the most important PVC fitting was out of stock. I'll probably pick it up tomorrow, then build the thing. Ought to be a one-day build, maybe a week at the outside.

Also picked up some Gunmetal Gray, going to see how that works on the staff. It should do quite nicely.

I really need to make some headway on this infernal flak vest. I'm probably going to pick up some patterning paper shortly, then measure out the pattern and just give it a go. I've got an ancient, giant shirt I can pull apart and re-stitch - unfortunately it's solid black, and I'd prefer something in gray, but it'll be a good test if nothing else.

Oh, speaking of the flak vest - does cotton duck or canvas stand well enough on its own, or does it need interfacing/batting? I don't care, I can do either, just curious what the trend is.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #41 on: Aug 09, 2021, 11:05 PM »
Duck cloth and other canvas type material is the primary go to for vests. So, yes, they should be durable enough.

Kurshi BeJahaal

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #42 on: Aug 10, 2021, 08:23 AM »
I'm all in on your work method. That's how my kit was made. I had ideas and a goal, but it was dictated by what I could find and my budget at that time. When I was building my first kit, I was planning a wedding with my fiancée at the time so money and time were tied up in other priorities.

My colors evolved and so did my kit concepts. That kit was 99% scratch built in the manner that you described. I always tell people to be open to change as your build progresses. Allow new ideas to play out and have fun with it!

And yep. My vests are all duck cloth.  :)

Ravlin Todric

« Reply #43 on: Aug 10, 2021, 09:17 PM »
Excellent, I'll see if I can find some duck cloth. Joann Fabrics and Hobby Lobby should furnish nicely. Kurshi, do you use any backing or interfacing on your vest to help hold the plates?

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #44 on: Aug 22, 2021, 10:26 AM »
Excellent, I'll see if I can find some duck cloth. Joann Fabrics and Hobby Lobby should furnish nicely. Kurshi, do you use any backing or interfacing on your vest to help hold the plates?

Sorry that I'm just getting back to this thread. We started Ruus'alor training and I've been focusing more forum time there.

But nope! I just have a single layer of duck cloth. My plates are 3mm Sintra and they don't seem to cause any sagging or any other issues. Here's how mine's attached:

I hope that helps!

Ravlin Todric

« Reply #45 on: Aug 23, 2021, 02:58 AM »
That helps a LOT! I haven't seen a good photo of the inside of a vest before. Excellent, thank you!

And seriously, no sweat on the time, come and go as you please.

In the meantime...I made and finished (kind of) my quarterstaff. That's right, I've actually got a full-fledged weapon for the kit. Woo! Pics in a later update, and its own descriptive WIP (probably).

So now I move on to the flak vest. Hoping to find a good color when I go for materials - starting to think I'm going to use a very dark blue for the armor, but that means solid black for the vest is kind of out (can't have it blending into the plates).

Oh, paint question: For armor that is designed to look painted, like Boba's or the red parts of Din's, what is the preferred luster - flat, satin, matte, semi-gloss? Not that it matters, my paint will probably be in gloss that I bust back down somehow (super-duper-ultra-careful sanding? Satin clear coat? Depends on the test pieces I haven't made yet).

Ravlin Todric

« Reply #46 on: Sep 05, 2021, 11:10 PM »
Okay, as promised, a few Mando staff pics. Just a few for now, but I may upload a WIP of this weapon (would that be a WIPon?) at some point. My pic-posting motivation is low for some strange reason.

It's possible I feel this staff is terrible. I am, after all, the one that made it. I think it looks too much like PVC chunks glued together, but I don't think it really looks that conspicuous.

The two ends are designed to be removable; two threaded assemblies will be fixed to the staff, allowing for future upgrades. Might make it vibro-glaive, or add an axe head - might even load up some simple LEDs. Could be fun!

This next picture isn't exactly cooperating, but I think you get the gist. It's two assemblies on either end of a dowel. Length is somewhat variable, as I haven't glued or epoxied the retaining assemblies in yet.

I think the Gunmetal Gray came out very well, although I think it's a little dark for the base coat of my armor. Probably looking at something a shade lighter.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!