Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Coming out of Retirement {WIP}

• 23 Replies

Ally93

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Coming out of Retirement {WIP}
« Reply #15 on: Apr 06, 2021, 09:24 PM »
Another update.
My Bo-Katan Mandalorian chest plates arrived and I'm super hyped.

They may not be sitting 100% were they should be due to me trying to hold them up one hand each. But they fit and thats what counts atm haha
This is the last armor piece for me to work on and then everything that remains is literally just fixing the flightsuit and attaching everything properly.

So the game plan right now is simple. Fiberglass, sand and paint the chest plates. Sort out my flightsuit and then work on attachments. So far the lower half is done, its just the upper half, pretty much all thats on the vest and thats all I need to focus on attachment wise.

P.s excuse my lack of coffee expression. Early morning when this arrived and I simply had to unbox right away

Verd ori'shya beskar'gam - A warrior is more than his armor

Ally93

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #16 on: Apr 07, 2021, 02:06 AM »
So I discovered while sorting out placements on my vest that my chest plate and collar plate do not agree with one another.
They overlap.

Overlapping

This is where my collar plate would normally sit.

I know Bo-Katan in the Mandalorian doesn't have a collar plate but rather two pieces on her shoulders. Each armor design has its own flow. My back plate and chest plate cover up this area very well but I figured it was best to ask first hand.

Is this approvable to not have the collar plate as long as armor is covering the areas?

Even The Mando himself doesn't have a collar plate and since I'm going for that era I have to question if this is era accurate but also merc accurate.

I know with the chest plate lowered like in earlier photos I could make it but I want this to be at its best perfection.

« Reply #17 on: Apr 07, 2021, 02:15 AM »
Hey Ally! Using Live Bo chest plates means, to my knowledge, you should be paying attention to the Post-Imperial CRLs rather than the Modern CRLs. This means not only do you not need a collar plate, I'm pretty sure you cant actually have em. If your backplate comes and curves up over your shoulders I think you should be fine, but otherwise I'd make a set of her little weird shoulder straps. Basically, this chest plate sits a lot higher than fett-style plates do, which pretty much does away with the need/space for the collar plate.

QMU #025|MA #146 - 24er

Ally93

« Reply #18 on: Apr 07, 2021, 02:48 AM »
Hey Ally! Using Live Bo chest plates means, to my knowledge, you should be paying attention to the Post-Imperial CRLs rather than the Modern CRLs. This means not only do you not need a collar plate, I'm pretty sure you cant actually have em. If your backplate comes and curves up over your shoulders I think you should be fine, but otherwise I'd make a set of her little weird shoulder straps. Basically, this chest plate sits a lot higher than fett-style plates do, which pretty much does away with the need/space for the collar plate.

Big thank you. I honestly wasn't sure if there was post imp guidelines yet or not haha guess that shows me. Thank you. I'll make sure to do that.
At least I don't have to panic now 🤣

« Reply #19 on: Apr 07, 2021, 09:47 PM »
Go to the CRLs page, click the 'post-imperial' tab. It hasnt been updated for season 2 yet, which is why the Bo plates arent listed on there :)

QMU #025|MA #146 - 24er

Aneira Velca'rusc

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #20 on: Apr 08, 2021, 07:19 PM »
Pretty cool progress you got there  :like:
I easily fall in love with nice gradient coloured kits :D Curious to see where this goes!

Ally93

« Reply #21 on: Today at 01:28 AM »
Go to the CRLs page, click the 'post-imperial' tab. It hasnt been updated for season 2 yet, which is why the Bo plates arent listed on there :)
OH thats why I didn't see it cause I was strictly looking for the Bo plates haha

Pretty cool progress you got there  :like:
I easily fall in love with nice gradient coloured kits :D Curious to see where this goes!
Big thank you. I personally love your kit, its so stunning.

Ally93

« Reply #22 on: Today at 01:35 AM »
Ok this post is going to be pic heavy here.

So first and for most I finished the plates but as it was pointed out to me, the print from the 3d machine was still visible and wasn't approvalable.
I had been hoping that by constant spray painting I'd fill the gaps in but as you can see, that didn't work out so well.

So a friend gave me advice to use resin fiberglass to help fill in the gaps rather then constantly sand down the plate as I wasn't confident in doing that in case it ruined the whole plate.
So I followed that advice, watched a 501st tutorial on how to do it as the guy was making an approvable kit using 3d prints.
Turns out it worked out really well. Still did a fair bit of sanding, two days worth, but it is very worth it.

I sprayed some primer, found mistakes, sanded and sprayed again and after doing that the end result is finally here.

Tadah!

Its super smooth and boi oh boi do I love that glossy look. It won't last long of course once I add the battle damage and such but my next step is to let the paint dry out, then attach all the pieces back together onto a piece of pvc to create the one plate look.
After that its all attachments.

Still need to work on flight suit. I'm very much procrastinating on it but I know I have to do it soon haha

Aneira Velca'rusc

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:58 AM »
That looks so much better, good job on smoothing it out.
takes some extra effort but in the end worth it  :like:
What are your plans for the flight suit? :D

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!