Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Coming out of Retirement {WIP}

• 74 Replies

Ally93

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Coming out of Retirement {WIP}
« Reply #50 on: Jun 16, 2021, 08:06 PM »
Thanks everyone.

Here are the weapons. I completely forgot to add them here because I've been so focused on the armor.

Sniper rifle. I removed the scope, its present in photo but I feel like the scope gives off too much of an early vibe for my liking.\
This is a heavily modded x-shot. I'm not sure of the gun type, I just picked it up at a thrift store. I've added a few components to it to give it more of a space age vibe and move it away from that x-shot look.

Spear. Pvc piping and poly piping joiners used for attachment and detachment purpose. Spear head was actually made out of a plastic kunai and I just shaped it in to the design I wanted. I believe the spear is just over 1 meter.

Typical jango Blasters, westar 34.

This is the hasbro toy which I modded so no lights, no sounds and all labels removed.

Up close photos of the gun

Some yellow is present as I noticed. I'll end up going over those areas. Considering adding some torn up bandages just for pure aesthetic looks.

Up close of the spear;

I do have a much larger gun, but sadly she was broken in half, currently fixing her up so that someday she may return to be on display with my kit at cons.

Verd ori'shya beskar'gam - A warrior is more than his armor

Ally93

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #51 on: Jun 20, 2021, 05:34 PM »
So went to a con this weekend with my clan and had lots of fun.
Prior to con weekend I knew there were some issues.
The main issue is the chest plate but I'll work on that.

To start off with.
1.the soft parts belt is too thick and made out of leather which isn't allowing it to sit right. It's also affecting the two other belts by now allowing them to remain in their proper place. I'll be changing the belt type over in the next few days.
2. Baggy at the legs. This is an issues being caused by my boots. I'll be getting a new set of boots soon anyway as there is no zipper on the side of the current ones. It just pushes everything up and out of place.
3. The knees. I'll be adding Velcro to them since the elastic didn't hold up as I had hoped it would.
4. Chest plate. There's floating on one side and that's believed it be due to too much material. I'll be curving the corners in to see if that makes any difference but if not I'll dart them on that one side to make it all work.
5. Weapons. I realised my rifle gun is too nerf looking . I do have an approved gun so I may use that but I noticed over con that I used more melee weapons giving my Mando more of that brawler warrior type vibe. I may actually keep to this. I also need to dirty the westars up too
6. Visor.it needs to come down as even I didn't notice that the visor wasn't touching the bottom area of the helmet. .it's a very simple easy fix.

So far this is my to-do list. Once I've completed these things I will then do another set of photos. Fingers crossed

Falke

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #52 on: Jun 24, 2021, 03:58 AM »
I agree with your fix list. Your rifle would need some more modification to loose the toy look.

Good luck with your fixes!

Ally93

« Reply #53 on: Jun 26, 2021, 10:07 PM »
So fix this finally sorted to a degree. The pants were the biggest issue, they were taken in but also new boots that dont cause the flightsuit pants to bag up around the knee area has helped heaps.

Here are some pre app photos

Visor fixed as it wasn't to the base of the helmet. I also gave the helmet features a touch more detailing. Big Krayt Dragon vibes for sure.

Blasters have been dirtied up a bit.

I'm going more so for a melee vibe with my mando, a brawler but more so close combat weapons too. So I've gotten myself a new toy to play with, its the Boba Gaffi stick.

Ok now I noticed the back plate is touching the belt so I tried to sort that out but theres only a small gap between the belt and plate so I've actually pulled the bottom piece off from the layered area and currently putting it up higher so it should be slightly shorter but still within range of an approved back plate.

Another thing I am working on, and its more trial and error, is a new chest plate piece. I need something a little bigger and better to replace the top part. I did notice a slight bit of floating occurring on the good side since I fixed the other side so you know the other side has to be in the spotlight.

So I'm making chest plates using the darting method. So far its going good, I've applied body filler to them and hoping for good results sometime tomorrow.

Again I'll post more photos with better progress on this kit. With the new shoulder bells I feel a lot more confident, I just need to make sure I place everything a bit better as I have a feeling I'll be re-doing pre-app photos again once I've finished the chest and back plate which is the main concerns for me right now.

Ally93

« Reply #54 on: Jul 04, 2021, 12:15 AM »
Worked on making a new chest plate with the darting method.
Used small pvc piece, template and cut piece out. Shaped it into the right place.

I added fiberglass to the back to add support and I also used body filler to cover up the darted areas and also adds extra support to the chest plates even more so.

Applied spray paint, battle damage and the diamond piece. I did have to reshape the ab platting and also down sized it a bit too so it has a more nicer look.

I did apply 2x layers of body filler to get rid of any warped appearances too.

Now onto the next post with photos.

Ally93

« Reply #55 on: Jul 04, 2021, 12:26 AM »
Now here comes the more heavy set photos.

So back plate has been shortened so its not sitting to close or touching the belts.

An up close shot of the shoulder bells was required. Front photos make it appear as if the shoulders and collar plate are touching, but when I looked closer its kind of an odd illusion so some close up shots were required.

I think this kit is finally ready.

Arco'thyel Wyshla

• Certified crazy cat mando
« Reply #56 on: Jul 04, 2021, 01:27 AM »
Giving the chest plate multiple drafts has really paid off – there is great improvement each iteration! You can really see the difference in fit.

Very nice improvements this round. I think you’re right, this looks like the one!

| Hard Goods WIP | Soft Goods WIP | Planning Log |

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger

Ally93

« Reply #57 on: Aug 02, 2021, 10:19 PM »
Woohoo heard back from the app team today and so happy with the feedback.
Theres a fix list but its not as bad as I was worried about it being.

Fix List
1: Your visor does not completely obscure the wearers face.  Please
darken or replace the visor to correct this.
2: The internal padding on your helmet needs to be trimmed up so it is
not visible from the outside.  It may also be colored black to reduce
visibility of it.
3: Knee elastic should be color matched to the flight suit. It can also
be run internally.
4: In the side view pictures we can see a significant gap between the
thigh plates and your leg. Better shaping or adjusting the position on
the leg can solve this issue.
5: While the Loin cloth has a substantial design the cape and kama do
not appear to.  We can see no hemming which would give it the desired
appearance.  Please verify that a hem or bias tape has been added to
meet the CRLs for these items.

Suggestions
- The gauntlets look to be dropping down on your hand a bit, adding some
padding will help this. There is a little bit of bunching around the
knees, making sure the flight suit legs are pulled down well before
kitting up the rest of the parts will help.

These are simple fixes, I can easily work on them all without too much hassle. Things I can do within a few days pretty much.

I have already made some updates to the armour parts, I've added velcro to the thigh armor area which has it sitting more infront and sits better. But I'll double check that before I do another set of app photos again.

I also added a bit of extra fabric to the soft parts belt to ensure that the belt doesn't end up being dragged down by the weight of the thigh armor. Also why I ended up adding velcro for added support to this area which after doing multiple tiktok videos I figured out that this is the best and secure way for the thigh plates. No saggy baggy thigh plates lol.

Expect another update on this thread in the next few days to come.

Ally93

« Reply #58 on: Aug 07, 2021, 12:54 AM »
So I fixed up pretty much everything that I needed to fix and took some more photos for the app team. However after doing the photos I noticed I still have two main issues, the visor and the leg pants.

So here are the photos first off.

I've made sure that the velcro on the thigh plates keeps them in nicely and shaped to my thigh area the best, removed the elastic off the knees but this has made the baggyness on the pants more obvious so that will be fixed with some tailoring.
I did also notice the shoulder bells were off. This is a placement issue on my part, they are attached via velcro and normally when I put my vest on I already have the shoulder pieces attached. Well...I attached them when I had the vest on which isn't the best because I cant judge the best with it being all on me. Though at least I know its not a major issue.
I also added padding inside the gauntlets and painted it black as well as painting the padding inside the helmet and trimming it down too.

As for the pants and that, I should have it all done within a day or two and get photos done soon.
Looking forward to finishing this costume off and really thankful for all the amazing support I have gotten from everyone on here about this kit.

Ally93

« Reply #59 on: Nov 30, 2021, 06:37 AM »
Going to reawaken this thread with some new ideas. Better concepts and more hard labouring progress.

I have some concept art to post as well as some recent photos of my armour.

I look forward to working on some new things and trying different ideas.

Ally93

« Reply #60 on: Dec 01, 2021, 04:53 AM »
Ok here we go, pic Heavy with details.

Ok so first off from top to bottom.
The front picture I noticed there are issues with the knees and thigh armor. I also noticed my chest plate was a little sideways but I think thats just how I put it on that day. The shoulder on the [my] left side appears to be too close to the collar plate. Its again either due to me not watching carefully where I put the chest plate making it sideways a little or simply I just need to make the shoulder itself is better placed.
There is also an issue with the vambraces as the right one appears to have lost its grip on the velcro. I noticed this happened a bit at a con a few months back but it wasn't as bad. So I'll be repairing this up pretty soon and making it much more durable attachments.
Now the lower half of the flightsuit appears to still be very baggy once more even though I have already tailored it. I've lost more weight and you can probably tell based on earlier pictures with the belt pieces that I wasn't able to get them to sit low at all, where as now I need to punch in a few new holes in the belt parts.
So its time for a new flightsuit I think. Also from a front view the leg parts of the flightsuit still remain baggy.
Now for the back part.
Things appear to be sitting good from my point of view, only thing that sticks out is the lower part of the flightsuit. You can see that its quiet tight from the boots upwards around near the knee area. Yet somehow the front still remained baggy. Again time for new flightsuit.
Left side view.
Bicep armor appears to be up a little too close to the shoulders. Maybe its the layering, I'm not sure. But something I'll fix up soon.
The chest plate I can see some gapping still happening, especially on the collar plate area. Theres also some vulnerability armor wise to my chest as the bust part doesn't fully come all the way around. So to make this mando more accurate and theoretically more battle ready, I'll be making some new chest plates[ sketch down below]. I've also been struggling with the layering which is causing the gapping issue. To combat this issues with my new chest plate I'll be making a 'base' piece first and following a few tutorials for female layered armor. Hopefully this should eliminate any gapping issues and also make things better sized to my body type.
From the lower part down the first thing I noticed is the thigh armor. From the front view its lopsided and not even, but on the side it doesn't appear to be sitting accurately, it seems more to the front of the thigh and not slightly to the side. So new thigh armor[sketch down below] will be made to combat this issue.
Theres also an issue with the blasters as they are causing the soft parts belt and the thigh armor to weigh heavier then they should. So with a new thigh armor also comes a new holsters which I'll try and do one similar to Sabine Wrens at least.
Its also clear to me that from the boots to the knee there is no shaping of my leg. Again weight loss and need to tailor the flightsuit but new flightsuit is best flightsuit.
Finally.
Right side view.
Besides the above from the other side photos. The only thing that strikes me as being off is the vambrace. You can clearly see its not properly attached which is worrying because I honestly didn't feel it start to come undone.  You can also see a bit more of my leg in this one, giving a better idea to the baggy-ness of the suit.

And of course some sketches/concept art for the new pieces I hope to make.

New chest plate piece I've sketched up. This should cover more of my side and also in theory work to protect my Mando better. The layered ab only does so much so additional side pieces added. Almost gives me a mass effect vibe tbh.

Ditching the nightowl thigh armor for some layered armor as I'm finding with the blasters in, it makes the nightowl armor harder to stay up and pulls down on the soft parts belt too much for my liking. So New holsters will be in the making.

And the actual thigh armor plating its self. To go with that three layered look.

I'll be fixing up my big gun, which was snapped in half and has remained so for a few years since I've been retired. The idea is that i'll be placing some wooden support pieces inside and attaching that to both sides of the gun to ensure stability and then on the outside of the gun seal it in with some super contact glue, fiberglass and then body filler, smooth it out and add an attachment piece to go with the star wars blaster vibe flow.

And thats pretty much it.
Theres a lot to be done and I hope to start this weekend off with working on the chest plates and flightsuit.
I'll also be using sintra this time around as it'll be easier to work with and much lighter compared to pvc. So there is better improvements to this and hopefully after some experience with making chest plates, this third one will be the final one.

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #61 on: Dec 01, 2021, 04:53 PM »
Just for the record, your X Shot rifle is a “Hawkeye.” I’m working on making a sniper rifle out of one myself, although it’s a secondary project.

Ally93

« Reply #62 on: Dec 02, 2021, 01:38 PM »
Just for the record, your X Shot rifle is a “Hawkeye.” I’m working on making a sniper rifle out of one myself, although it’s a secondary project.

Wow I had no idea. It was one I found laying around. Figured I'd put it to use

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #63 on: Dec 02, 2021, 11:23 PM »
I found a few foam dart guns at my local goodwill as well; I turned a Hurricane into a pretty passable heavy blaster.

If you ever want to run down a foam dart blaster or just see what’s available, go to https://nerf.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page. Despite the name, it’s not just Nerf weapons and the off-brands tend to have a lot less badging and identifiable motifs that need to be removed.

Ally93

« Reply #64 on: Dec 07, 2021, 04:20 AM »
Lots of work done in a few days.
 I've been following Kuu's Dart method for chest plates which has helped improve big time

I started off with a body mask and worked out the layer and design I wanted. Slightly altered from the above sketch so its a much more battle accurate chest plate and ab thats not going to end up as a fatal mistake for my Mando.

Templates made, pieces cut out of pvc pipping, and they where finally sanded, fiberglassed and at current have bondo applied to smooth things out. I'm just waiting for the bondo to dry since we got hit with a sudden storm yesterday its made the bondo set as fast as it normally would. [I did the fiberglass both front and back for maximum strength]

Now I've almost completed the thigh plates. I made templates and cut them out, but then I realized once I shaped one to my thigh that they were going to be too long. So I made some alterations and shortened the thigh plate.

I'm hoping to use rivets to attach all my layered pieces. It'll look so epic I think. Only thing is I may end up needing to rivet all the other layered parts, espically the back plate to keep that look.

I also wish I had of taken a photo of the big gun, shes been fiberglassed and bondo too to ensure maximum strength in its weak points.
But for those curious its this gun here that I'm using as I'm ditching that nerf for a Frankenstein gun

And just for a rough idea this is kinda how the layering for the breast plates should go. Fingers crossed it all turns out well by the end of this week.

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
  • Awards EnviroOps Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #65 on: Dec 09, 2021, 12:12 PM »
Plates look cool! Good luck vod  :like:

OM #2630 | BM #394 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP

Sabine

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #66 on: Dec 09, 2021, 03:05 PM »
Plates are looking good so far. I am seeing a bit of waviness in the back and chest, be sure to fill the low spots.

Sabine Wren S2

Tra'cor Clan || MMCC#1593 || M5#71 || NOS#9 || 96 OM Invasions

Ally93

« Reply #67 on: Dec 10, 2021, 03:23 AM »
Thank you everyone so much. I really appreciate it. This kit is taking longer then expected. Almost 12 months, but its really starting to get close to its finishing points I believe. Or more so, hope.

The last few days I've been slowly working on the plates, cutting, trimming, sanding, shaping and sometimes readjusting the plates size. I started to have a bit of issues with how to work the chest plate out until I had the grand idea to literally start from the collar down. Its worked so far.

Thighs are finally completed. I dont know why I never used rivets before now, but man they make it so much easier and look a lot cooler too.

an up close version

I'll start sorting out battle damage and attachments in the next few days.

The chest plates I've shaped and attached. I didn't think I'd get this done all today but somehow I did. I'm currently fiberglassing the back part to ensure stability. Since I've never worked with rivets I wanted to make sure that with the chest they remain firm and in place. Everything is much more shaped to my body too, prior to fiberglassing.

Once the fiberglass is set, I have some additional pieces to attach down on the sides between the main chest and the part where the abs join so that the chest piece kind of flows more with style.
I also want to shape the ab plate a little more and make sure its all straight.

The big gun has also been fixed. It took a lot of gorilla glue and support on the inside before the use of fiberglass and bondo to make sure there is more then enough support and to make it so the pieces dont break in half. So far so good. I do need to paint and sort that scope out though.

Considering adding rivets to the rest of my armor pieces. I mean they look hella cool and just give me epic mando knight vibes.
A lot more work to be done on the chest plates with shaping, molding a bit more and arranging some additional pieces to the plates. Then it'll be paint and attachment and work all the minor kinks out of it. I'm excited to finish it in due time

Ally93

« Reply #68 on: Dec 12, 2021, 05:06 PM »
Lots of work has happened. The chest plates are completed, its just now a matter of attachment.
And while doing so, I ended up remaking my soft parts belt. The belts a little thicker but it'll hold better.
So I did a test fit/attachment test of everything. Photos are a bit low graphic, sorry about that.
Oh and also ignore the flak vest not sitting right. At the time how it sat was the least of my concerns when testing this stuff out. It'll sit better with the flightsuit top on and proper placement.

First off chest plates;

I did notice some small minor gaps, also some icky velcro is noticeable. I think I can fix the gapping up with better attachment.
I also know I need to work around the collar plate and back plate area too as they may clash a little.

Soft parts belt;

This is all from a standard horse girth belt. Accidentally cut it up, sewed it back together and made some straps for it. I also made the new pieces for the holsters, they look really smooth and nice, just need to actually make the holster part.

The only issue with the thickness of the new belt is that I may need to make a new belt part for the pouch belt. Its a small mans size so you can imagine it doesn't quiet fit the female waist well to start with. So I'll make some changes there as well.

In short all that I need to do now is work on the attachments, fix a few pieces here and there and hopefully the coming weekend I should have some pre app photos up which will also help me to see a bit better to what I need to work on.

Ally93

« Reply #69 on: Dec 16, 2021, 01:17 AM »
Big improvements made this week. I have ended up making a newer and better pouch belt and newer holsters which feel much more comfortable.

I also had a spur of the moment and made some more decorative pieces for my Mando, thus being teeth to bring out that primal beast hunter kind of vibe. I am considering after approval of trying to get into the Beast Hunter brig, but thats still plenty of time away.

With a few minor changes and fixes I decided to bring everything together to see how it looks. So this is my pre app photos thus far.

There was some wind so I'm not too happy about that and the fact it didn't help one bit with the scarf piece flying about.
I tried though. But I will do newer photos after the pre app approval.

I have removed a few things, such as the white girth belt as the soft parts belt was more then enough. I also removed the layering on the shoulder bells as they were restricting movement. So I'll wait for the pre app team to get back to me before I start working on anything else, or making changes.

Ally93

« Reply #70 on: Jan 02, 2022, 04:22 PM »
A bit of an update, after I did my pre app photos I noticed some errors with the vest mostly, there was also an issue with my gauntlets as one side appeared to keep coming undone no matter the amount of velcro I used.
I asked my clan for a bit of help and was given some advice to put the hinges on the inside rather then outside and to use rivets. This somehow solved the issue. I think maybe the screws were coming undone. It showed a bit in my pre app photos above that one side gauntlet was undone.

I've also readjusted some velcro on the vest area as well since I wasn't comfortable with how the chest plates felt sitting on me or how it pulled a bit on the vest. Which may solve the issue of the lower half of the vest popping out from beneath, but I'm still going to add a piece of elastic around the back to attach from one side to the other to prevent any further issues.

I may also swap out the flightsuit top half for another flightsuit piece as I know from the past if something appears to baggy it needs to be less baggy.

I'm also working on a Bo-Katan build for 501st so I kind of just want this kit to be over and done with soon so I dont have to focus on two different costumes at once.
After I finish these little updates I'll do another pre app photo set and send through to the team and get some feedback.

Oh also adding some dirtier looking weathering to all armor pieces so I dont 'shine' too much

Ally93

« Reply #71 on: Jan 07, 2022, 07:52 PM »
Here we go again...

Pre app photos are done.

Close up photos

So What I ended up doing was trimming down the shoulder bells as they were contacting the collar plate. So they have more of a jango/boba style to them.
I've also dirtied up the armor pieces so there is wear and tear. I've removed the blue loin piece as I just wasn't happy with it.

Hopefully this is the last set of photos I'll be doing. Things are a bit crazy were I live and covid is on a rampage with everyone getting it and potentially myself.
This kit has come a long way, its been almost a year since I've started this journey of returning to the mmcc.
I'll send these photos through to the pre app team and see what they say but heres hoping with fingers crossed I'll be OM soon.

Also a big thank you to everyone that has helped me get this far. it means alot to me.

Frostfyre

• In war, Victory.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #72 on: Jan 11, 2022, 07:31 PM »
I looked at your concept render and your wio, and I have to say that I am loving your kit. Good luck in apps!  :sabine:

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
  • Awards EnviroOps Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #73 on: Jan 12, 2022, 11:39 AM »
Looks good! I'm a huge fan of the new chest piece

OM #2630 | BM #394 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP

Ally93

« Reply #74 on: Jan 28, 2022, 07:49 PM »
Thank you both, thats really inspiring to hear. Makes me want to improve even more on this kit to get to the approval round.

I got my fix list which was.

1. The flightsuit, leathers on the waist and vest all need a bit more weathering to match the rest of the costume. You can add the same kind of grime that is on the cape to the leathers. You can also scuff them up with sandpaper in strategic places. You may need a lighter color to help weather the flightsuit, grey is good for dark flightsuits.

2. There's bunching on the vest just make sure to tighten and pull it down taught under the waist items for photos. If this doesn't correct the issue, tailoring may be needed.

3. One of the comments was that there was a visible pocket on the pants of the flight suit. I personally can't find it, but if there is a visible pocket on the pants they will need to be either 1) hidden by waist items, 2) sewn shut, or 3) made to look more like boba's pockets with a flap that covers the opening. If there are no pockets, don't worry about it.

I've removed the pockets since the kama isn't big enough to cover both of them.
I also had attached a small elastic piece to the vest to help keep it in tightly, but this caused the bunching so I removed it and the vest sits a lot better.
And of course the fun part was putting the grime grease onto the leather, really makes it look so much better with all that scorch marks.

So heres some more photos.

I'm actually not happy since my tripod broke and had to rely on my mother to take photos and she had no clue what she was doing haha.
But I noticed on one side photo there is visible velcro, I'll be fixing that up. So I'll put this through the pre app round again in case theres anything else besides the visible velcro that I've missed and try to get properly done photos once my new tripod arrives.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!