Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Art Deco Mando

• 33 Replies
Art Deco Mando
« on: Apr 19, 2021, 08:43 AM »
Edit :
I'm finally settled on a design, so I renamed the post :)

The design I chose is this one :

With a helmet in this style :

Actual progress :

Helmet : 0%
Not sure if I'll make it completely from scratch or modify a printed base.

Flightsuit : 30% ?
- Pants have been fitted, still need minors alterations
- Shirt needs tailoring

Flak vest : 50%
- Needs sewing the front closed, hemming the bottom and adding closures.

Belts : 50%
- I have the holster belt (old police belt) with pouches.
- Need to choose between girth or sash to go under.

Boots : 80%
- Got biker boots, need to hide the logo and maybe paint them.

Armor : 0%
- Need to draw a pattern :)

Accessories : N/A

Weapon : 0%
- Not decided yet. Blaster ? Bowcaster ?

Others : N/A
- Kama ? Duster ?

Original post :

I'm planning my first built and I'm hesitating  :rolleyes:
I have a lot of ideas that I like so it's a bit difficult to choose.

First idea : Modern 
I work with copper and leather and I'd like to incorporate those materials somewhere in the armor... It would be super expensive to make the whole armor in copper so I'd go either with a copper colored helmet/armor and just some small accessories in real copper (iron heart ? trophies ?), or maybe dark red or black helmet/armor and one or two real copper plates (arm or shin maybe, acid etched).
For the colors, I'm thinking something with copper, dark red, dark green, black.

Here are some tests on MandoCreator :

Option with a few real copper pieces :

Option with copper paint :

Adding some chrome paint ? :

Or full black and copper, which would be easier to make/find but I'm afraid it would not "pop" as much  :rolleyes: I guess I would have to play with textures to have something more interesting.

• Helmet : Din Djarin shape to buy/make
  • Flight suit : green, black or dark red depending on the armor and what I find (and I'll probably have to learn how to adjust it because all I find is too big... mini mando here  :-[
  • Vest : I have a black suede leather bodice (this one in black : https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/d7c18425-7868-45e5-8301-f4a32ae2e182.1b1564e4a79910a615493d20b0b1fc75.jpeg?odnWidth=612&odnHeight=612&odnBg=ffffff ) I can modify, or I'll make one in fabric...
    Would this work ?
  • Armor : I'll go buy some PVC to make the first tests :)
  • Gloves : my fingers are too long/thin for most gloves so I'll go with fingerless gloves
  • Boots : I have an old pair of combat boots I can try to modify, or I'll buy some second hand moto boots.
    At the moment I found those (very star wars-y I think)
    and those (classical mandalorian vibes)
  • Belt : I'll make one, just need to find a cool looking buckle
  • Weapon : I don't know yet, doing some researches

I also have some ideas for a late crusader, I'd love to make a helmet based on this :

The vertical part of the visor would be larger to keep a more mandalorian vibe, the top would be round, and it would have less decorative swirls and things. The base would look like the charismatic helmet from SWTOR  (https://i0.wp.com/torf.mmo-fashion.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Charismatic-Mandalorians-Helmet.jpg?ssl=1), but with an additional plate on the front instead of the sides/back. Something like this : (behold my artistic skills  :P)

Would this be acceptable ?
The helmet would be easier to make from scratch (simplier shape, no cheeks...) and a LC would be great for my love of leather (I dream of a leather kama...  :<3:) but I guess a modern kit would be easier for a first one ?  :-X

« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2021, 09:13 AM by Ashad Shrynn » Logged

Arco'thyel Wyshla

• Certified crazy cat mando
Re: First built planning
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2021, 01:00 PM »
Looks like a nice plan! It’s really exciting that you work with copper and can bring that experience into your build. And acid etching too?? I wanna see where this goes!

Regarding the MandoCreator samples, for some reason I’m drawn to all the options on the right side, especially the last one. (Though I guess that part’s not a surprise, since I’m personally such a sucker for chrome paint :D)

Actually, do you mind sharing a link to the fabric you posted? I’m looking for unique fabrics to use as detail panels, and that one has a real cool texture! As for whether or not it’ll work for a vest, from what I gather it all depends on how stretchy it is - you don’t want it to sag when attaching the plates, so things like the leather bodice are a solid choice. I know printed fabrics are not allowed, but I’m pretty sure embossed fabrics like this should be OK. Depending on how much you care about comfort, you should check how breathable it is, too. For instance, if you decide on the leather bodice, I'd wear it around for a few hours and check how warm it would be as part of a costume during a long troop.

That LC concept is neat, I don’t see many of them! (But I’m also a mando noob, so. :laugh: ) I'm sure there are more resources for modern builds, so I think your instincts on modern being easier for a first build are accurate, but if you're more motivated to do the LC it may be worth diving right in. Though, is there a reason you can't do a leather kama on your modern build too? I thought that was doable, but it'd be good if someone more experienced than me can confirm!

Looks like you’re off to a great start with your plans!

| Hard Goods WIP | Soft Goods WIP | Planning Log |

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger
« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2021, 10:55 AM »
Thank you ! :D

Well the technic I use the most is electroforming, so I'll see if I'll use this or etching (it's basically the same thing, it just depends on which wire you connect to your piece :) If you take the copper from it or deposit it onto it).

Yes I like the copper/chrome combo too :) It looks a bit strange on MC but with a consistent weathering I think it could be nice !

It's actually a skirt ! But it's like 4 or 5 sizes too big for me so I'd be able to make it into a vest  ;D But you're right maybe it would be too stretchy so I should keep it for details/side panels only.

Yes, I could make a leather kama for modern too, I just feel it would fit a LC even more  :D

Here's an update from the French clan's forum :

If I go for Modern :
  • Helmet : Din Djarin style, to buy or make
  • Flight suit : For now I have my eyes on those :

The second one is smaller so I'll have less work to make it fit me and the fabric seems studier, but the first one has a really nice color...
  • Vest : black, suede leather or fabric

• Armor : I'll go buy some Sintra to learn how to work with it :)
  • Gloves : leather cut gloves, I'll add some protection (maybe in this style ?)

• Boots : I found those :

• Belt : I'll make one in leather once I find a nice buckle
  • Weapon : I don't know yet ! Maybe a crossbow or a rifle

If Crusader :
  • Helmet : to make, inspired by this one :

• Flight suit : black ?
  • Vest : black suede or brown leather
  • Armor : to design...
  • Gloves : cut leather gloves, with thinner fabric gloves underneath to hide the fingers

• Forearms : fabric wraps and half bracers

• Boots : Boots + leather gaiters
  • Belt : ?
  • Weapon : ?

I also mentionned the possibility of making a Kaleesh (helmet with kaleesh patterns and mandibles showing under) but we're not sure they'd be approved because maybe they are digigrads   :'( They're not in SWTOR or merch (figurines) but there's a statue of one in Clone Wars who's digigrad... My Ruus'alor said he'll see with the app team, so we'll see.

Arco'thyel Wyshla

« Reply #3 on: Apr 24, 2021, 02:38 PM »
I'm impressed by your selection of options already!

The Kaleesh is an interesting idea for sure! Looking at the images I'm seeing both leg styles, but I'm not sure what's canon or what's fanart. I wonder if they will let you do digitigrade leg padding. Fursuiters do that and when it's done right it's a really neat look. It'd be cool to see on a mando!

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger
« Reply #4 on: Apr 30, 2021, 02:05 PM »
Thank you !

Yes I'd love to make a Kaleesh. I love this race, and I'm not really into any other alien race that would look alien (I love rattatakis, zabraks ans chiss... who would just look like human mandos in their armor). There are some wonderful twileks and togrutas here but I never felt any "connection" to those races if that makes sense.
I don't know about padding, I saw a lot that look off, and I have zero experience in this kind of craft. Plus it should be so hot to wear ! So maybe for winter trooping  ;D

Anyway, I just ordered a flightsuit (I found one in the color I wanted for only 5€ !) and some PVC sheets to begin working on the armor. I'm working on some armor and helmet sketches :)

I'm also still hesitating for the boots.

Those have the "mandalorian lines", like Boba's and Din's boots ( https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/164794118106_/Hot-Toys-Star-Wars-Tms007-The-Mandalorian-Boots.jpg or https://www.rspropmasters.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/fett-boots.jpg  ) so they'd be very fitting. They only have the brand on the side that would be easily removed/hidden.

Those have a more original design, but maybe they'd be better for a sith than a mando ? Anyway I think they are cool.

And then I love these, but they look a lot less futuristic. Maybe it would look right with a shin plate attached to the straps ? Maybe they'd be more fitting for a crusader ?  ;D (They reminds me of Darth Sion's boots  :<3:)

Edit : made a small test of brass reinforcements on my gloves, dont know what to think ?

Edit 2 : Here's a quick sketch of what I had in mind for a kaleesh, if they'd be approvable :

A part of the cheeks would be cut out to let some room for the mandibles, and the "shin horns" would be visible underneath. It would be bone colored, with red kaleesh markings painted. And if they are not, I may keep the general shape for my helmet anyway :)

« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 02:11 PM by Ashad Shrynn » Logged
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 06:34 PM »
I received my flightsuit :) I'll have to make it fit, and I have room to cut it into two separate pieces.

I finally managed to define three color schemes that I like :

- One more colorful, like in my first post (green, dark red, copper). But I find it a bit difficult to arrange them in a nice way to be honest.

- A metallic one, with faded colors and a lot of weathering : dark green, dark red, old copper, bronze (or maybe steel/chrome like on my first tests)

- Black, dark green, gold and/or copper

I must admit I've always had a thing for old, distressed materials like leather, metal, etc, so the second one would really fit me, and it would allow me to be more creative concerning the leather parts (brown leather can be weathered in more ways than black leather ;D) But, knowing me, I would be tempted to try too many things, so I think I'll keep it for later, probably for a crusader project.

For now, I'll try to stay humble and make a modern armor, with the third color scheme :)

Finally, I also did some research for patterns to paint. Would something really geometric like this be approvable ?

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 11:39 PM »
Hi!

Love the boots you got. And I absolutely love the Green and Gold color scheme. Thats my personal favorite.

Anyways, I did some forum browsing, looked at the CRLs and some old Q&As and as far as I know there is no straight answer for that pattern on the armor. In the Q&As I found This and This, the first one concerning a similar pattern but as a trophy, the second a stencil for the actual armor. However, there is a possible CRL violation due to the too earthy clause, so personally I'd recommend you submitting a Q&A post for more official advice.

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 04:12 PM »
Thank you :)

You're right, I'll ask directly in the Q&A section :)

« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 10:45 PM by Ashad Shrynn » Logged

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2021, 12:00 AM »
We do have a Mando with this wild pattern!

But I'd agree that it'll be best to ask in the Q&A section for a better answer since those are very planned patterns.

I LOVE the boots that have the Fett style lines on them. I'm always a fan of subtle references like that. But I think either of your two main choices would look slick!

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Arco'thyel Wyshla

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2021, 01:36 AM »
Of your new color schemes, I’m a fan of the bronze one, as well as the third green one. And I second those boots with the lines, that’s a special find right there!

I gotta say, those patterns are great, especially that last one in gold with the diamond motif! I’ve been collecting screenshots from TCW, and check out how much that pattern looks like it would fit right in with Sundari architecture:

Also, this guy’s design may be of interest:

Oop, sorry about the huge picture dump! :-X But hopefully they give you some ideas and/or reassurances! Geometric patterns, especially with the diamond motif, seem to be a big thing for Mandalorians on Sundari.

Kurshi BeJahaal

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2021, 04:50 AM »
Also, this guy’s design may be of interest:

Booooooooo Almec!  >:(

Good call on remembering that! A perfect in universe reference, as were the rest of your thoughts on the palace in Sundari. I saw in the Q&A that the design is good to go!

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2021, 08:56 AM »
Ooooh thank you for those references !
That last mando is so nice !  :<3:

I did some other tests yesterday :

I'm also looking for some weapon inspo but all the ones I like are from the Old Republic  :rolleyes:

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2021, 11:54 AM »
I carry a Shae Vizla pistol. A D-200 military enforcer is from the Old Republic Era.  :)

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2021, 11:32 AM »
I'll see then, maybe I could make an "ancient" weapon too  ;D For now I'm hesitating between a blaster or a crossbow/bowcaster?

Thanks ! Yes, there's a lot of things to learn :) I've been reading a lot of tutorials/WIP on the forum, that's super interesting :)

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Special Weapons
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2021, 07:15 AM »
I love the top right of the newest set of pictures  :<3: . Very excited to see this build!

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons [url=https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2021, 07:26 PM »
Thank you :)

Some news :
- I ordered the boots ! I chose the first ones, with what I call the mandalorian lines. The design is simple so maybe I'll be able to use them for other things too, and they should look good with shin plates.
- The hardhat should arrive soon so I can begin to work on the helmet :)
- I ordered a huge leather coat for 5€ that I intend to use as a flak vest and kama.
- I'm currently reading a loooot of stuff about electronics and I can't wait to try !  :porg2: 

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Special Weapons
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2021, 07:31 AM »
You're going to build your own helmet!  :porg2:  Yay!  Scratch builds are so much fun (and work, lots of work).  Check out the Bearded Mando's build and YouTube videos if you haven't already.  There is some really helpful stuff that I would have liked to know before I made mine.    :cookie:

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2021, 12:19 PM »
Yes, I'd like to give it a try :D

My very first plague doctor mask was made with the same technics so I know what to expect, at least a bit :) And I remember my errors so hopefully I won't make the same ones again  ;D https://www.instagram.com/p/BjzXunIgRJv/?utm_

Thanks for the advices, I'll check that ! I already read a lot of tutorials/WIPs (including yours  :P) but I don't think I've seen this one.

I'm not sure about the shape yet (I usually decide on my details while making them...), but maybe I'll try something like that :

The designer (Blodhundur on twitter) allowed me to make a helmet inspired by their design (as long as I don't use the same color scheme and modify the visor shape a bit as they'd like to make it too one day.) I just love the general shape (forehead and cheekbones especially) so much  :<3:

As mentioned, I've been reading a lot of stuff about electronics and I'd like to add a voice amplifier to my helmet, maybe with integrated speakers, so I must think about how to incorporate that in the design (in the cheeks maybe ? Wouldn't that look weird on a sleek design like this one ?)

« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 12:34 PM by Ashad Shrynn » Logged

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2021, 11:39 PM »
Ugh. So I typed out a big reply and for whatever reason, it wiped it and I have to start over. Hopefully I remember everything!

So for voice amps most of us use a speaker that fits in a pouch. It has a mic and aux input so you can either run a headset wire under your vest or go Bluetooth with an adapter. Most of my Clan and I use Aker amps which can be found for $30-$40 on eBay or Amazon.

As for your helmet design, I love it. I'm not entirely sure if the vertical portion of the T is too narrow or not, so I'd suggest asking in the Q&A section for the official App Team verdict on that. Really, really cool start you've got here.

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2021, 07:18 AM »
The helmet design is really cool!  :<3:  As Kurshi Bejahaal pointed out, pretty sure the lower T portion of the visor is to narrow.  If you wanted to integrate the speakers directly into your build, you could try to make it look a breathing assistance piece so that it flows with the overall feel of your kit.  That could be more difficult later for maintenance but it is entirely up to you.  Also as Kurshi Bejahaal said, the majority of folk use a sperate system that they put in their pouches or I've even seen some mount it to the backside of their chest armor (not sure how they got enough room and still made it look like it fit but it is possible).

That plague mask is awesome!

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2021, 01:52 PM »
Thank you both !
Yes, if I use this design I'll make the lower part of the visor a bit larger, but still a bit narrower than a "regular" one if that's permitted.

I received my hardhat, boots, and leather coat  :) but now I'm hesitating between leather kama + loincloth or leather duster instead D:

Next things to do :
- pattern the helmet
- pattern the vest
- choose and buy paint

« Reply #21 on: Sep 01, 2021, 02:39 PM »
I'm back working on my kit  :<3:

I think I'll go for a simplier version of my project, and then I'll upgrade my stuff so I can get some experience before trying to paint complicated patterns etc :)

• I made a sketch for the helmet. Not sure about the top part & rangefinder tho. I think I'll start from a Boba template for the base and cheeks, and I'll add a different front part. I'll try to incorporate some vents on the cheeks and at the back, for ventilation and a possible speaker upgrade :D I'm not settled on the color scheme but it will be mostly green, with orange visor and brass vents

• I'll turn the leather coat I found into a duster :) I'm currently working on a design
  • I need to find closures for both the girth belt and flak vest

I'm also hesitating about the flightsuit color, here are some tests... Keeping in mind that it won't be a kama but a duster, so more black, and the armor will have some kind of gold pattern/details.

« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2021, 03:36 PM by Ashad Shrynn » Logged
« Reply #22 on: Sep 07, 2021, 01:13 PM »
Seems like my helmet design should be approvable  :)

And while I'm waiting for some supplies to arrive, I did some tests for future trophies...  ;D
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMRPj4L7y/

« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2021, 03:06 PM by Ashad Shrynn » Logged

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #23 on: Sep 11, 2021, 10:09 PM »
For your mock up, I kinda like the one all the way on the right! What are you thinking?!

« Reply #24 on: Sep 15, 2021, 06:03 AM »
Thank you !

I don't know !  :'( I think the most difficult part is deciding  ;D

1 : classical but a bit plain ?
2 : nice contrast, but with a duster there will be a lot of black... so maybe no duster if I choose black ?
3 : nice color but doesn't go well with an orange visor so I'd switch to gold... but maybe it would look better as I plan to add golden details on the armor ?

Meanwhile, I'm trying to learn a bit of electronic (I did some in high school but I don't remember anything beside V = RI  :P) so I can add some leds and cool things.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!