Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First built planning

• 24 Replies
Re: First built planning
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2021, 07:26 PM »
Thank you :)

Some news :
- I ordered the boots ! I chose the first ones, with what I call the mandalorian lines. The design is simple so maybe I'll be able to use them for other things too, and they should look good with shin plates.
- The hardhat should arrive soon so I can begin to work on the helmet :)
- I ordered a huge leather coat for 5€ that I intend to use as a flak vest and kama.
- I'm currently reading a loooot of stuff about electronics and I can't wait to try !  :porg2: 

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Special Operations Brigade Member Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2021, 07:31 AM »
You're going to build your own helmet!  :porg2:  Yay!  Scratch builds are so much fun (and work, lots of work).  Check out the Bearded Mando's build and YouTube videos if you haven't already.  There is some really helpful stuff that I would have liked to know before I made mine.    :cookie:

Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons
Uur Shaadlan Facebook
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2021, 12:19 PM »
Yes, I'd like to give it a try :D

My very first plague doctor mask was made with the same technics so I know what to expect, at least a bit :) And I remember my errors so hopefully I won't make the same ones again  ;D https://www.instagram.com/p/BjzXunIgRJv/?utm_

Thanks for the advices, I'll check that ! I already read a lot of tutorials/WIPs (including yours  :P) but I don't think I've seen this one.

I'm not sure about the shape yet (I usually decide on my details while making them...), but maybe I'll try something like that :

The designer (Blodhundur on twitter) allowed me to make a helmet inspired by their design (as long as I don't use the same color scheme and modify the visor shape a bit as they'd like to make it too one day.) I just love the general shape (forehead and cheekbones especially) so much  :<3:

As mentioned, I've been reading a lot of stuff about electronics and I'd like to add a voice amplifier to my helmet, maybe with integrated speakers, so I must think about how to incorporate that in the design (in the cheeks maybe ? Wouldn't that look weird on a sleek design like this one ?)

« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 12:34 PM by Ashad Shrynn » Logged

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2021, 11:39 PM »
Ugh. So I typed out a big reply and for whatever reason, it wiped it and I have to start over. Hopefully I remember everything!

So for voice amps most of us use a speaker that fits in a pouch. It has a mic and aux input so you can either run a headset wire under your vest or go Bluetooth with an adapter. Most of my Clan and I use Aker amps which can be found for $30-$40 on eBay or Amazon.

As for your helmet design, I love it. I'm not entirely sure if the vertical portion of the T is too narrow or not, so I'd suggest asking in the Q&A section for the official App Team verdict on that. Really, really cool start you've got here.

MMCC #1484¦¦50 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan 
B.E.A.R.D.S #97 ¦ M.A.R.S. #21
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Special Operations Brigade Member Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2021, 07:18 AM »
The helmet design is really cool!  :<3:  As Kurshi Bejahaal pointed out, pretty sure the lower T portion of the visor is to narrow.  If you wanted to integrate the speakers directly into your build, you could try to make it look a breathing assistance piece so that it flows with the overall feel of your kit.  That could be more difficult later for maintenance but it is entirely up to you.  Also as Kurshi Bejahaal said, the majority of folk use a sperate system that they put in their pouches or I've even seen some mount it to the backside of their chest armor (not sure how they got enough room and still made it look like it fit but it is possible).

That plague mask is awesome!

Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons
Uur Shaadlan Facebook
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2021, 01:52 PM »
Thank you both !
Yes, if I use this design I'll make the lower part of the visor a bit larger, but still a bit narrower than a "regular" one if that's permitted.

I received my hardhat, boots, and leather coat  :) but now I'm hesitating between leather kama + loincloth or leather duster instead D:

Next things to do :
- pattern the helmet
- pattern the vest
- choose and buy paint

« Reply #21 on: Sep 01, 2021, 02:39 PM »
I'm back working on my kit  :<3:

I think I'll go for a simplier version of my project, and then I'll upgrade my stuff so I can get some experience before trying to paint complicated patterns etc :)

• I made a sketch for the helmet. Not sure about the top part & rangefinder tho. I think I'll start from a Boba template for the base and cheeks, and I'll add a different front part. I'll try to incorporate some vents on the cheeks and at the back, for ventilation and a possible speaker upgrade :D I'm not settled on the color scheme but it will be mostly green, with orange visor and brass vents

• I'll turn the leather coat I found into a duster :) I'm currently working on a design
  • I need to find closures for both the girth belt and flak vest

I'm also hesitating about the flightsuit color, here are some tests... Keeping in mind that it won't be a kama but a duster, so more black, and the armor will have some kind of gold pattern/details.

« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2021, 03:36 PM by Ashad Shrynn » Logged
« Reply #22 on: Sep 07, 2021, 01:13 PM »
Seems like my helmet design should be approvable  :)

And while I'm waiting for some supplies to arrive, I did some tests for future trophies...  ;D
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMRPj4L7y/

« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2021, 03:06 PM by Ashad Shrynn » Logged

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #23 on: Sep 11, 2021, 10:09 PM »
For your mock up, I kinda like the one all the way on the right! What are you thinking?!

MMCC #1484¦¦50 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan 
B.E.A.R.D.S #97 ¦ M.A.R.S. #21
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector
« Reply #24 on: Sep 15, 2021, 06:03 AM »
Thank you !

I don't know !  :'( I think the most difficult part is deciding  ;D

1 : classical but a bit plain ?
2 : nice contrast, but with a duster there will be a lot of black... so maybe no duster if I choose black ?
3 : nice color but doesn't go well with an orange visor so I'd switch to gold... but maybe it would look better as I plan to add golden details on the armor ?

Meanwhile, I'm trying to learn a bit of electronic (I did some in high school but I don't remember anything beside V = RI  :P) so I can add some leds and cool things.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!