Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Tramp’s Mando Kit WIP

• 244 Replies

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
  • Awards EnviroOps Beastmaster Brigade Member
Re: Tramp’s Mando Kit WIP
« Reply #75 on: Oct 12, 2021, 02:10 AM »
Extra pictures really help, I totally get the situation now! Unfortunately I'm unsure the best course of action here... so I'll leave it to a Ruus'alor to make a judgment. Your thought process makes a lot of sense and bringing the visor down wouldn't make sense the way your helmet is made, but it still may be an issue with the look of the visor, and I'm not sure how to fix it.
In all honesty? Move on, focus on bigger aspects of your kit, and it will get figured out. Don't stress it! It's such a tiny piece.

OM #2630 | BM #394 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #76 on: Oct 12, 2021, 03:01 AM »
Extra pictures really help, I totally get the situation now! Unfortunately I'm unsure the best course of action here... so I'll leave it to a Ruus'alor to make a judgment. Your thought process makes a lot of sense and bringing the visor down wouldn't make sense the way your helmet is made, but it still may be an issue with the look of the visor, and I'm not sure how to fix it.
In all honesty? Move on, focus on bigger aspects of your kit, and it will get figured out. Don't stress it! It's such a tiny piece.

I’m not. I have bigger fish to fry, such as completing assembling my cuirass and adding the thong and belt keepers (once I find where I put them  :-[ ) to my codpiece, and adding the Velcro closures and some padding to my bracers. I need to get everything assembled to a wearable state by Halloween.

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #77 on: Oct 12, 2021, 07:53 AM »
That's definitely a complicated situation. I was in the same boat as Matchstick and Aster and thought that it didn't reach the bottom. The first round of pictures make it look like it has stopped about 1/4" away from the bottom. If you applied without the additional shots, it would definitely get noted that the visor would  need fixed.

Having those extra shots do help and the App Team always looks at a WIP first for anything like this. Seeing how the helmet mandibles bevel to leave the inside shorter than the outside shows your thought process now. Today, I'll take this topic to our other Ruus'alore in the region and discuss it. We've got an App Team member on hand to provide additional feedback too.

All that aside, this is shaping up to be a gorgeous looking kit. I love the color choices you've made. The only thing that I can think of on your initial test fit is just a few tweaks.

Where I have the red circle, there's visible zipper teeth that would need covered (I'm thinking more strapping could keep it simple?) before your App.

Where I have the white circle, the gap is just a smidgen off in comparison to the spacing where the red is. Moving the top of the plate out just a little (the white arrow) would get them evened out. But I know it's just a test fit.  :)

It's good to see progress and moving along smoothly. Great work so far.

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #78 on: Oct 12, 2021, 11:17 AM »
That's definitely a complicated situation. I was in the same boat as Matchstick and Aster and thought that it didn't reach the bottom. The first round of pictures make it look like it has stopped about 1/4" away from the bottom. If you applied without the additional shots, it would definitely get noted that the visor would  need fixed.

Having those extra shots do help and the App Team always looks at a WIP first for anything like this. Seeing how the helmet mandibles bevel to leave the inside shorter than the outside shows your thought process now. Today, I'll take this topic to our other Ruus'alore in the region and discuss it. We've got an App Team member on hand to provide additional feedback too.

All that aside, this is shaping up to be a gorgeous looking kit. I love the color choices you've made. The only thing that I can think of on your initial test fit is just a few tweaks.

Where I have the red circle, there's visible zipper teeth that would need covered (I'm thinking more strapping could keep it simple?) before your App.

Where I have the white circle, the gap is just a smidgen off in comparison to the spacing where the red is. Moving the top of the plate out just a little (the white arrow) would get them evened out. But I know it's just a test fit.  :)

It's good to see progress and moving along smoothly. Great work so far.

I’ve already checked with the App team about the zipper, and they said specifically, that the only part of the zipper that needs to be covered is the pull tab: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=204046.0. To quote Venix Arden:

Hey there Tramp! Thank you for the question! I'm actually the Ruus'sol for the NE USA Region and I've brought this question up to Draceline and the other Ruusalore of the region. The CRL's for Modern Era is that the zipper pull tab must be covered in some fashion and that the rest of the zipper needs to be colormatched to your vest. All of which it seems like you have done. My advice to you would be to include as many pictures possible of your WIP thread so when you go through the App process, the App Team can review those photos to gain the best understanding possible of your build. It really is an invaluable skill to utilize. You'll also want to address your flightsuit bagginess and your holster design is slightly too "earthy" as it sits now. If you have questions, please reach out to Draceline and she will help you to the best of her ability. If there is anything I can do for you as a Ruus'sol, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to help. THank you again and happy building! OYA!

Kurshi BeJahaal

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #79 on: Oct 12, 2021, 11:39 AM »
Ah yes! Thank you. I forgot about it being okay if it matched the material. That's my mistake!

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #80 on: Oct 12, 2021, 12:10 PM »
Ah yes! Thank you. I forgot about it being okay if it matched the material. That's my mistake!

Not a problem. I had gotten mixed signals from various Ruus’alors early on, and was going to have a tailor try to add a cover flap to my vest (though we couldn’t match the fabric), so I put in a question to the Q&A about it. I was quite relieved that I didn’t need to cover the whole zipper, not only for the reason above, but It saved me some money, and the vest looks better as is, both with the armor on, and with it off. A zipper cover would likely have ruined the look of the vest.

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #81 on: Oct 12, 2021, 12:25 PM »
I did hear back about the confusing visor dilemma. Though it does touch the bottom of the visor on the inside, the bevel tapers toward the outside and gives the appearance of it not reaching the bottom on the outside.

Since it's still sitting higher on the inside and the bottom of the outside is lower, it doesn't truly satisfy the CRL. The best suggestions that I have would be to add some material to the inside to bring it level with the front/outside. Some type of epoxy sculpt, quiksteel or jbweld putty would be easy and sandable. The alternative would be to file down the front "point", but I don't want to see that gorgeous paint job get boogered up.

Venix Arden

• United by the Creed
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #82 on: Oct 12, 2021, 12:51 PM »
Hey there Mr. Tramp!

I remember you!

It looks like you've done a lot since the last time we talked and I hope all is well!

Let's get into your visor issue really quick. I'm on my work computer so I cant copy/paste pictures so I'll be using written references. I hope that it translates okay for you.

**In your initial picture of your helmet (on the previous page) It very much looks like your visor does not reach the bottom of the mandibles. There are a few easy ways to correct this optical illusion *AND* help keep the integrity (both physical and visual) of your helmet. One way, which is what I did for my current helmet, is to install a small spacer between the mandibles at the bottom edge of your helmet. You can do this easy with a piece of scrap Sintra, ABS, or any approved building material. I'd say about 3/4" max width would work. This hides the bottom of the visor and provides a good amount of stability to the helmet. And since your visor material is so thin, it would still be removable for replacement (if need be).**

**I feel like you've come to the point in your build where a WIP thread in your local Clan page is warranted. Pretty soon you're going to want to go through pre-app and its a great tool for you to utilize. You have a good group of Ruusalore in the NE region who will be eager to help you fine-tune your armor and get those OM stripes! If you like, instead of starting a new one, you can message a Moderator here to move this over there.**

**You're on the right track with your vest and as long as the zipper pull tab is hidden, having a front facing zipper is fine. When you start your WIP, I'd be interested to see additional pictures of your top armor plates and how much coverage they have. Per the CRL's, armor plates cannot hang over the edge of your vest and from one or two of your pictures in this thread, they look pretty close to the edge. Not a critique, but its something to be aware of.**

**Most importantly, You are off to a great start and I think you're doing great! Kurshi, Matchstick, and everyone else here are excited to help you along the path you are on and through the dedication, communication, understanding, and enthusiasm, you'll be OM in no time! Best of luck to you and I'll be keeping an eye on you and I look forward to welcoming you as an OM very soon!**

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #83 on: Oct 12, 2021, 01:38 PM »
Hey there Mr. Tramp!

I remember you!

It looks like you've done a lot since the last time we talked and I hope all is well!

Let's get into your visor issue really quick. I'm on my work computer so I cant copy/paste pictures so I'll be using written references. I hope that it translates okay for you.

**In your initial picture of your helmet (on the previous page) It very much looks like your visor does not reach the bottom of the mandibles. There are a few easy ways to correct this optical illusion *AND* help keep the integrity (both physical and visual) of your helmet. One way, which is what I did for my current helmet, is to install a small spacer between the mandibles at the bottom edge of your helmet. You can do this easy with a piece of scrap Sintra, ABS, or any approved building material. I'd say about 3/4" max width would work. This hides the bottom of the visor and provides a good amount of stability to the helmet. And since your visor material is so thin, it would still be removable for replacement (if need be).**

**I feel like you've come to the point in your build where a WIP thread in your local Clan page is warranted. Pretty soon you're going to want to go through pre-app and its a great tool for you to utilize. You have a good group of Ruusalore in the NE region who will be eager to help you fine-tune your armor and get those OM stripes! If you like, instead of starting a new one, you can message a Moderator here to move this over there.**

**You're on the right track with your vest and as long as the zipper pull tab is hidden, having a front facing zipper is fine. When you start your WIP, I'd be interested to see additional pictures of your top armor plates and how much coverage they have. Per the CRL's, armor plates cannot hang over the edge of your vest and from one or two of your pictures in this thread, they look pretty close to the edge. Not a critique, but its something to be aware of.**

**Most importantly, You are off to a great start and I think you're doing great! Kurshi, Matchstick, and everyone else here are excited to help you along the path you are on and through the dedication, communication, understanding, and enthusiasm, you'll be OM in no time! Best of luck to you and I'll be keeping an eye on you and I look forward to welcoming you as an OM very soon!**

Thanks. A spacer is definitely what I was thinking too, so we’re on the same page there. I have plenty of black ABS.

As for the armor being close to the edge of the vest, are you referring to up by the shoulders?

« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2021, 01:41 PM by Tramp Graphics » Logged

Venix Arden

• United by the Creed
« Reply #84 on: Oct 12, 2021, 01:39 PM »
yessir! up near the top the collar looks to overlap the vest by a little bit. It'll be something we as App Team will look at closely when your official App comes thru

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #85 on: Oct 13, 2021, 04:00 AM »
yessir! up near the top the collar looks to overlap the vest by a little bit. It'll be something we as App Team will look at closely when your official App comes thru

I doubt that’ll be much of an issue once the shoulder pauldrons are in place, as there will be straps running between the collar and shoulder pauldrons which will ultimately be covering that area.

Venix Arden

• United by the Creed
« Reply #86 on: Oct 13, 2021, 05:20 PM »
However you decide to build your armor is up to you providing you read, understand, and follow the CRL's. Working closely with your Ruus and other clanmates is invaluable and I think it can ultimately be such a beautiful and humbling experience for a recruit. For example, let's say you're dead set on strapping the shoulder bells (pauldrons are a different beast in the SW world) the way you envision and your Ruus shows you a simpler way like magnets or velcro strapping. The method suggested could very well end up being a breath of fresh air for you and save you time, money and effort and would lead to a quicker approval process.

As for your collar and other chest plates, the App Team (and pre-app team if you choose) will take a look at the spacing, placement, and relative size of your armor from head to toe and decide if the costume meets the requirements for approval. I can't stress this enough to all the recruits out there: *PLEASE* work with your local clan at every opportunity and listen, learn and grow in your skills. Be prepared for fixes and embrace them knowing that the goal as App Team is not to deny people, it's to approve them. I personally would love to see you, Tramp, and every other highly motivated recruit out there approved and become an official member of this amazing club

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #87 on: Oct 13, 2021, 08:07 PM »
However you decide to build your armor is up to you providing you read, understand, and follow the CRL's. Working closely with your Ruus and other clanmates is invaluable and I think it can ultimately be such a beautiful and humbling experience for a recruit. For example, let's say you're dead set on strapping the shoulder bells (pauldrons are a different beast in the SW world) the way you envision and your Ruus shows you a simpler way like magnets or velcro strapping. The method suggested could very well end up being a breath of fresh air for you and save you time, money and effort and would lead to a quicker approval process.

As for your collar and other chest plates, the App Team (and pre-app team if you choose) will take a look at the spacing, placement, and relative size of your armor from head to toe and decide if the costume meets the requirements for approval. I can't stress this enough to all the recruits out there: *PLEASE* work with your local clan at every opportunity and listen, learn and grow in your skills. Be prepared for fixes and embrace them knowing that the goal as App Team is not to deny people, it's to approve them. I personally would love to see you, Tramp, and every other highly motivated recruit out there approved and become an official member of this amazing club

Will do. I’m in the process of mounting the side straps and buckles now. Once the sides are done and the epoxy is completely cured, I’ll get some more pics up and then worry about the shoulder plates.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #88 on: Oct 15, 2021, 11:31 AM »
Well, the side straps are attached and I did a test fit with my flight-suit top and vest. So far so good. Let me know what you all think.

D'shon Lorra

• Through Pain We Learn
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #89 on: Oct 22, 2021, 03:49 PM »
Very nice colors, vod!  :like:

~☆~ Lorra

-:- Cabur Akaata 218 -:- N.O.S. 037 -:- M.V.S. 116 -:- Grey Brigade 20 -:- Clan Arqet -:- OM 2678 -:-

Adol Aaray Mhi Hibira

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #90 on: Oct 22, 2021, 08:55 PM »
I finally have the shoulder plates attached. I used 1.5” wide straps for the central strap and 1”wide for the corner straps. The shoulder plates each sit 1-7/8” from the collar plate at the spine of each plate. The central straps are 4” long with about 1” from each end used to anchor the strap to the collar and shoulder plate. The corner straps are each 6” long with 1”-1.5” used to anchor each end to its respective plate.

I have also added the Velcro closures and some padding to my bracers.

Let me know what you think.

Matchstick1021

• Your Daily Splash of Orange
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #91 on: Oct 29, 2021, 09:55 AM »
Looks good!

As long as the shoulder are no more then 2” from your collar, and it looks like you made sure they were less then 2”, you’ll be good to go! Just make sure the shoulders are even with each other per CRLs.

Keep up the good work!

Sucking at something is the first step towards being sort of good at something.
MMCC#2424
Rancor Clan
Traffic Cone #38

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #92 on: Oct 29, 2021, 12:25 PM »
Looks good!

As long as the shoulder are no more then 2” from your collar, and it looks like you made sure they were less then 2”, you’ll be good to go! Just make sure the shoulders are even with each other per CRLs.

Keep up the good work!

Yep. I made sure of that. The two central straps were cut to 4”, with 1” from each end used to anchor the strap to each plate. The gap is just under 2” (1-78” to be precise). The outer straps were cut to 6” with 4” between the anchor points, attaching at the corners of the plates, to allow for better range of motion. They are even too. I made sure of that. It might look off from the angle of the first picture, but that’s only because I wasn’t perfectly straight on and centered to my phone.  :-[ >:(

I’m working on finishing the codpiece as we speak.

UPDATE:

I have the codpiece done. It attaches to my belt using belt keepers. The first two are riveted and epoxied to the top edge of the codpiece while two more are attached to the opposite end of the “Boba thong” to attach to the back of the belt.

Here’s a few shots of my lower kit (sans boots, utility belt and Kama).

« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2021, 11:47 PM by Tramp Graphics » Logged

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #93 on: Oct 31, 2021, 08:57 PM »
Well, here’s my full kit; at least good enough for Halloween. It definitely needs some adjustment and tweaks.

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
  • Awards EnviroOps Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #94 on: Nov 03, 2021, 04:14 PM »
Nice work!

OM #2630 | BM #394 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #95 on: Nov 24, 2021, 05:58 PM »
With Halloween out of the way, I finally got around to fixing the issue with the helmet visor. As Venix Arden suggested, I added a spacer made of black ABS. Not only does it cover the bottom of the visor, and provide the added structural integrity, but it also leveled out the mandibles; they were slightly off kilter. What do you all think?

The next thing I need to figure out is how to “darken” the visor form the outside without reducing my own visibility from inside, or losing the current blue color.

« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2021, 06:08 PM by Tramp Graphics » Logged

D'shon Lorra

• Through Pain We Learn
« Reply #96 on: Nov 24, 2021, 08:33 PM »
That looks great to my eyes, vod! Why do you want to try to darken the visor more than it already is? You do need to be able to see while trooping. :maul:

~☆~ Lorra

-:- Cabur Akaata 218 -:- N.O.S. 037 -:- M.V.S. 116 -:- Grey Brigade 20 -:- Clan Arqet -:- OM 2678 -:-

Adol Aaray Mhi Hibira

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #97 on: Nov 24, 2021, 08:43 PM »
That looks great to my eyes, vod! Why do you want to try to darken the visor more than it already is? You do need to be able to see while trooping. :maul:

Because, when I took a selfie wearing the helmet in bright daylight without my neck gaiter on, I could see my face behind the visor in the photo. That could be a CRL violation. You’re not supposed to be able to see inside the helmet from the outside. If I wear my gaiter over my mouth and nose, it obscures my face, for the most part, but that makes it harder to breathe.

D'shon Lorra

• Through Pain We Learn
« Reply #98 on: Nov 24, 2021, 08:48 PM »
Hmmmm... are you thinking of adding a second, welder-dark layer of visor material behind the pretty blue? Or, is there something you could laminate on the inside?

~☆~ Lorra

Adol Aaray Mhi Hibira

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #99 on: Nov 24, 2021, 09:25 PM »
Hmmmm... are you thinking of adding a second, welder-dark layer of visor material behind the pretty blue? Or, is there something you could laminate on the inside?

I’m looking either at window tint, preferably mirrored, or a new Kalevala mirrored visor. However, they haven’t been on the forums for months now.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!