Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Need some guidance for Re-Armored Boba Fett soft parts

• 7 Replies

AirMech74

• This is the Way
I'm making my first complete outfit...printing all the hard parts...need some help with the soft parts....anybody got leads on the upper and lower items?  I'm a total noob at this.  Thanks

A man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile, can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy" ~ Pres. John F. Kennedy

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
Re: Need some guidance for Re-Armored Boba Fett soft parts
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 11:19 AM »
I'm making my first complete outfit...printing all the hard parts...need some help with the soft parts....anybody got leads on the upper and lower items?  I'm a total noob at this.  Thanks

You can go one or two-piece. I recommend two-piece, as it will make bathroom breaks much easier. I’m using a set of black military BDUs ( Battle Dress Uniform) for my flight suit. The only downside I see with BDUs, is their limited color pallet, when it comes to solid color variants. You’re basically limited to black, OD green, navy blue, khaki, and grey. Others use scrubs, some use Under Armor, some Dickies.

Sylvilagus

• Kerru Bhan
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 11:28 AM »
Specifically for Boba's new fit, it seems to be loose trousers in a rough-weave natural fiber, with either a cowl-neck shirt and a separate pleated kama in the same rough weave, or a knee-length tunic. I'm more inclined to think it's a tunic. His flak vest has short sleeves and quilted flanges at the shoulders. These are going to be difficult items to find off the shelf. You might have better luck finding a tailor in your local clan.

She told me never venture out among the asteroids
But I did, I did, I did
And she said that the Milky Way was something to avoid
And I did, I did, I did
She said that Venus was too hot and Saturn not much fun
Bug-eyed monsters tended to be just a trifle dumb
She said I'd need a blaster and I'd need a freezer-gun
And I did, I did, I did...

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 12:44 PM »
Specifically for Boba's new fit, it seems to be loose trousers in a rough-weave natural fiber, with either a cowl-neck shirt and a separate pleated kama in the same rough weave, or a knee-length tunic. I'm more inclined to think it's a tunic. His flak vest has short sleeves and quilted flanges at the shoulders. These are going to be difficult items to find off the shelf. You might have better luck finding a tailor in your local clan.

I would agree on the tunic. It’s certainly what he wore in Tragedy, and I see no reason why he would change that. As for the pants, they could even be Japanese Hakama.

Sylvilagus

• Kerru Bhan
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 01:51 PM »
No, the pleated part is definitely separate from his trousers, which are tucked into his boots. Boba's skirt is made of several panels, while hakama are made of one rectangle of cloth (depending on time period, and historically accurate fabric would be several panels, but the most readily available commercial hakama pattern by Folkwear uses one panel). The pleats are in different places, there are splits where hakama have none, there's additional sash pieces gathered and sewn on. Starting with hakama instructions and trying to modify them into what Boba's got going on would be counterproductive. Trust me, I made Darth Maul once, I'm good at sussing out the details on outfits made from several layers of draped and pleated black fabric.  :laugh:
If anything, you might want to start by looking at Indian or Middle Eastern men's traditional garments like the kurta or galabia. You'll still have to add the large cowl neck and the additional panels at the waist, but that's the closest thing I can think of that would be available off the rack.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 01:57 PM by Sylvilagus » Logged
But I did, I did, I did
And I did, I did, I did

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 05:12 PM »
No, the pleated part is definitely separate from his trousers, which are tucked into his boots. Boba's skirt is made of several panels, while hakama are made of one rectangle of cloth (depending on time period, and historically accurate fabric would be several panels, but the most readily available commercial hakama pattern by Folkwear uses one panel). The pleats are in different places, there are splits where hakama have none, there's additional sash pieces gathered and sewn on. Starting with hakama instructions and trying to modify them into what Boba's got going on would be counterproductive. Trust me, I made Darth Maul once, I'm good at sussing out the details on outfits made from several layers of draped and pleated black fabric.  :laugh:
If anything, you might want to start by looking at Indian or Middle Eastern men's traditional garments like the kurta or galabia. You'll still have to add the large cowl neck and the additional panels at the waist, but that's the closest thing I can think of that would be available off the rack.

We’re thinking two different things. Proper Hakama are pants, and they can be tucked into boots or wrapped at the calves with leggings called Kyahan for added mobility, as seen here:

Sylvilagus

• Kerru Bhan
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 10:27 AM »
Sure, but the question was specifically about what Boba's wearing. Which might take some inspiration from hakama, in that it's a male lower body garment with wide pleats in it, but is different enough that you might as well call it a kilt.

Similar, but not the same. You can see he's wearing trousers under the skirt, which is solid over his left leg and split at the right to allow the holster to strap around his thigh with pleats in the back and a separate gathered sash. The gathers on the sash are visible in the first image just below his girth belt. Looks to be raw-edged too, which is a bonus. I'm not sure if that's a matadachi-style opening visible on the left, a pocket, or just a fold in the fabric.

But I did, I did, I did
And I did, I did, I did

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 11:54 AM »
Sure, but the question was specifically about what Boba's wearing. Which might take some inspiration from hakama, in that it's a male lower body garment with wide pleats in it, but is different enough that you might as well call it a kilt.

Similar, but not the same. You can see he's wearing trousers under the skirt, which is solid over his left leg and split at the right to allow the holster to strap around his thigh with pleats in the back and a separate gathered sash. The gathers on the sash are visible in the first image just below his girth belt. Looks to be raw-edged too, which is a bonus. I'm not sure if that's a matadachi-style opening visible on the left, a pocket, or just a fold in the fabric.

What boba is wearing on the lower body is a combination of some sort of large baggy pants, and Kama or long pleated tunic over them.  We both agree that the outer most garment under the vest is probably a long tunic/robe. Where we differ is the pants, and that may be because of a simple misunderstanding. I’m not referring the the “pleated” part. I’m referring to the bagginess of his pants. What I am saying is that he is likely also wearing a hakama under that long robe, specifically umanori ( divided) hakama, which were designed for riding. The gathers you’re showing at the waistband of the robe don’t look anything like the pleats of a hakama anyway. The pleats of a hakama are very crisp and uniform with seven deep, crisp pleats, four on one side and three on the other. That’s not what we see of the robe.  so I’m not confusing the lower part robe with the legs of a hakama.  That being said, there are videos of Mr Morrison doing his Maori Haka, and clearly show the pants,  and the pants themselves are very baggy and loose, like hakama, harem pants, or “hybrid” hakama “ ninja pant” similar to these ( without all the junk hanging off of them):

Here’s the YouTube video I’m referring to. Pay close attention to the haka, when he’s facing directly at the camera, with his legs wide. His pants themselves are very baggy and loose before tucking into his boots, which are now tall, at least mid calf high boots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk1ExDHHPSw

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!