Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Crusader/Viking style Mando Armor

• 18 Replies

ThisIsTheWay453

• Ni cuy' Werda Kemir
Crusader/Viking style Mando Armor
« on: Feb 09, 2022, 05:06 PM »
Going for a Crusader Era Armor that has been heavily modified over the years. Think splinter cell that was content with raiding and never truly settled on Mandalore. Instead they raided the Outer Rim for centuries. It is Viking inspired and these are the rough sketches to get me started. I know I'm not up to MMCC standards yet, but would like some clarification if a Crusader Base Armor/Helm with Modern upgrades modified continuously over the years is acceptable, and what are some key features to help get my in the right direction? I want to keep the Raven of Dathomir Skeleton and feathers aspect, but can change up the shape of the helm, add hoses if need be. Metal/hard parts of Armor/Helm are 3Dprinted then cast in Brass or Aluminum. Orange pieces on armor are Brass with the feathers and beak being heavily weathered/patina brass, the rest is blackened aluminum, hauberk (chainmail), or visor glass. Soft parts are black leather and black flight suit with black tattered cloak with black fur trimmings. If you haven't guessed color scheme is Black and Gold/Brass.

I know the chest piece may need to be reshaped to fit a less modern era, but still wanted it updated from straight bone armor to more traditional beskar armor. So I would need a go between that would be acceptable. Like the helm was once forged with bone armor and real skeleton, but was later converted and reforged to beskar. Is that even acceptable?

Shoulders that are attached are the inspiration for my current set, but I plan on implementing some sort of Star Wars Beast, to stick with the Beast Viking Theme. Each armor piece is infused with the crushed bone of some sort of beast slayed by my family before me, the last being a Loth Wolf (yes I'm a monster I know) whose tail hangs from my cloak. Leather is made from Purrgil inards (know to eject hypermater fuel form their bodies). Sarlac Pit ab piece is subject to change to a serpentine creature wrapped in a circle biting his tail (Jörmungandr). Bear/wookie claws for the gauntlet hand part. Krayt Dragon arm bands on the left arm. Loth Wolf on the chest. Battle skirt in lieu of thigh plates/cod piece. Still working on knees and shins. I do plan on implementing a Jet pack but not the old school Rockets form Zim Systems, too bulky for my needs. I also plan on making a Ulfberhtsaber called Wolf's Bane, and round shield, with some sort of script around the edge.

« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2022, 05:17 PM by ThisIsTheWay453 » Logged

Kyr'bes Shukalar

• Nemo me impune lacessit
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023.
Re: Crusader/Viking style Mando Armor
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2022, 03:57 PM »
I will preface this by saying I'm not on the App Team. I think your general idea is sound, but I can tell you for certain that that saber is not going to fly. With the exception of the Dark Saber, we are not allowed to have a working lightsaber of any design as part of our kits, and even then, only for canon builds for characters that are known to have had it. A vibrosword of that design might work, though.

Talon Clan
MMCC OM #2484
Cabur Akaata #193
Grey Brigade #30
MMRS #061
House Nelvaan #25

ThisIsTheWay453

• Ni cuy' Werda Kemir
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2022, 05:24 PM »
I will preface this by saying I'm not on the App Team. I think your general idea is sound, but I can tell you for certain that that saber is not going to fly. With the exception of the Dark Saber, we are not allowed to have a working lightsaber of any design as part of our kits, and even then, only for canon builds for characters that are known to have had it. A vibrosword of that design might work, though.

The saber not passing is fine that can be for personal stuff. I can make a Vibroulfberht easily.

Arminius

« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2022, 05:47 PM »
As a history fan I like the historical inspiration in this kit and the weapons you want to use, but as previously stated you can't use earthy weapons or lightsabers, however it is totally acceptable to make a vibrosword given it follows the requirements for melee weapons.

One thing I'd like to point out is that this kit, at least to me, doesn't feel swarzy enough, and I believe you're trying to mix eras which I don't think is approvable. I recommend you take a look at the CRLs for all the eras that interest you and settle on a specific one. Once you've done that I recommend you first take a plain Mandalorian armor of that era and see how you can modify it to make it Viking-inspired instead of the other way around.

Also if you go with the Modern route you might want to take a look at the Nihil from the High Republic. They're pretty much the Star Wars equivalent of Vikings.  :laugh:

Oh and if you want to use viking weapons I think an axe or a spear might make a better choice since they are more versatile as both tools and weapons (I am adding a one-handed axe to my kit for that exact reason) and were far more common at the time, though swords were definitely a thing and also served as a status symbol.

The strongest stars have hearts of kyber, but the strongest warriors have hearts of beskar.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2022, 10:13 PM »
I agree. Always remember the 80/20 rule. The kit must be at least 80% Mando and no more than 20% anything else.

ThisIsTheWay453

• Ni cuy' Werda Kemir
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2022, 09:39 AM »
I agree. Always remember the 80/20 rule. The kit must be at least 80% Mando and no more than 20% anything else.

I have never thought about it that way thank you.

ThisIsTheWay453

• Ni cuy' Werda Kemir
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2022, 09:43 AM »

Also if you go with the Modern route you might want to take a look at the Nihil from the High Republic. They're pretty much the Star Wars equivalent of Vikings.  :laugh:

Oh and if you want to use viking weapons I think an axe or a spear might make a better choice since they are more versatile as both tools and weapons (I am adding a one-handed axe to my kit for that exact reason) and were far more common at the time, though swords were definitely a thing and also served as a status symbol.

Headcannon I had made me out as the Jarl/Warlord of the clan, hence the arm bands, chainmail, and sword. I also have an axe thats glued to my hip, and plan on making a round shield with a light up shield effect.

ThisIsTheWay453

• Ni cuy' Werda Kemir
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2022, 09:48 AM »

One thing I'd like to point out is that this kit, at least to me, doesn't feel swarzy enough, and I believe you're trying to mix eras which I don't think is approvable. I recommend you take a look at the CRLs for all the eras that interest you and settle on a specific one. Once you've done that I recommend you first take a plain Mandalorian armor of that era and see how you can modify it to make it Viking-inspired instead of the other way around.

I was thinking more along the lines of crusader bone armor that has been remade in beskar. Is that acceptable? I can add hoses to the helm to get the crusader vibe, and extend out the back of the helm to acomodate the "fin" look on the back. Flare out the ravens tail there, claws hold the hoses in place.

Arminius

« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2022, 10:41 AM »
I don't think that would be approvable, although I think you're confusing Early with Crusader. The look you're trying to get looks to be more along the lines of Crusader, but I don't really know much about that era.

As for the shield that seems doable but a bit complicated, with Star Wars having deflector shields then carrying an actual, physical shield seems like a waste of a hand to me, best to integrate it into the armor itself imo, though I can understand it being a family relic or something like that.

The strongest stars have hearts of kyber, but the strongest warriors have hearts of beskar.

ThisIsTheWay453

• Ni cuy' Werda Kemir
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2022, 10:50 AM »
I don't think that would be approvable, although I think you're confusing Early with Crusader. The look you're trying to get looks to be more along the lines of Crusader, but I don't really know much about that era.

As for the shield that seems doable but a bit complicated, with Star Wars having deflector shields then carrying an actual, physical shield seems like a waste of a hand to me, best to integrate it into the armor itself imo, though I can understand it being a family relic or something like that.

Shield is made from Brylark, and banded with beskar. Shield effect lights up left arm (armband and chainmail), when no shield in hand. Power transfers via contacts in palm and light up shield effect on the round shield, for added protection. Upgraded family heirloom.

ThisIsTheWay453

• Ni cuy' Werda Kemir
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2022, 11:37 AM »

Something similar to this.
But with the armor being made of beskar rather than bone.

I found this searching on google and do not take any credit for it.

Sov

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2022, 07:00 PM »

Something similar to this.
But with the armor being made of beskar rather than bone.

I found this searching on google and do not take any credit for it.

This particular image was concept drawing for an Early Crusader that another member was working on building. While you could make something very similar to this it would actually fall more into the Legacy Era if you were to use Beskar.  I recommend browsing the reference image library  https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?board=741.0 and looking at the different eras to help you nail down a more cohesive design and look.

OM #2673
Cabur Akaata #194

ThisIsTheWay453

• Ni cuy' Werda Kemir
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2022, 11:08 AM »
This particular image was concept drawing for an Early Crusader that another member was working on building. While you could make something very similar to this it would actually fall more into the Legacy Era if you were to use Beskar.  I recommend browsing the reference image library  https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?board=741.0 and looking at the different eras to help you nail down a more cohesive design and look.

I guess the question then is, how do I go about getting legacy armor approved.

ThisIsTheWay453

• Ni cuy' Werda Kemir
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2022, 02:14 PM »

Working on reshaping the helmet now. Give it an Early Crusader feel rather than a late crusader.

« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2022, 03:44 PM by ThisIsTheWay453 » Logged

ThisIsTheWay453

• Ni cuy' Werda Kemir
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2022, 04:05 PM »

Loth Wolf Claws for the spike element.

Sov

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2022, 04:21 PM »

This is a great source image to build an Early Crusader Era Kit from several people have used it for inspiration. I started with this one myself and altered the base to suit my needs and the look I was going for.

OM #2673
Cabur Akaata #194

ThisIsTheWay453

• Ni cuy' Werda Kemir
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2022, 05:02 PM »

With a little armor for reference as well.

Debating on keeping the shoulder straps, under the chest piece or on top of it. I will draw it both ways to see what I like. Just curious if there is any stipulations on where to have them.

ThisIsTheWay453

• Ni cuy' Werda Kemir
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2022, 08:59 PM »

Left weapons off for the most part to show off the armor. I will add weapons if armor is approved, and continue from there. I think I might go with the right shin guard with the brass tipped ends.

« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2022, 09:27 AM by ThisIsTheWay453 » Logged

Kyr'bes Shukalar

• Nemo me impune lacessit
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2022, 02:29 PM »
So this new design definitely looks closer to Early era. And just for your info, Early era armor can be made to look like bone, heavy leather, or rough hammered metal, but not smooth beskar as we think of it now. As far as that helmet design goes, I'd for sure clear it with your Ruus'alor Solyc or run it through the App Team Q&A. I've never seen anything quite like it, so I can't really advise on whether it'd pass or not.

Talon Clan
MMCC OM #2484
Cabur Akaata #193
Grey Brigade #30
MMRS #061
House Nelvaan #25

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!