Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Fenn Shysa's canon appearance?

• 80 Replies

No'saj Huune

• Nomad in Killeen/Ft. Hood
Re: Fenn Shysa's canon appearance?
« Reply #45 on: Dec 22, 2009, 12:55 AM »
Doesn't there also have to be 3 canonical references to make the costume acceptable in the 501st? Hence why Imperial Knights are not allowed.

You brought up a good question and here's the their official requirement as far as "canonical referances":

Article II - Membership

A. The 501st Legion is an inclusive, equal-opportunity fan club and will not tolerate discrimination on the grounds of sex, race, sexual orientation, or religion. The only requirements for membership are "ownership" of an accurate, complete, and professional-quality costume celebrating the Imperial (Dark Side) characters from the Star Wars films or its expanded universe sources, that the member is able to wear said costume(s) and that the member must be at least eighteen (18) years of age. Membership is granted only after an application is made to the Legion and by a Garrison Membership Liaison (GML) assigned to the prospective member's geographic region. Persons under the age of 18 are not allowed as listed members of the 501st Legion club. The 501st claims no responsibility for minors at events that are hosted or attended by its members.......

However according to their Costume Reference Library ( http://www.501stlegion.org/crl/ ) Fenn doesn't qualify and I can't find a reason why.  Also it would seem they are in need of reviewing their acceptable character list as just about all of the Republic Commando's from the novels jumped ship (except for Darman and Niner for now) and never became part of the 501st.

Those who wander aren't always lost.

Venn Tosa

• Verd Ori'shya Beskar'gam
« Reply #46 on: Dec 22, 2009, 01:20 AM »
Were we to get an application here for a Fenn Shysa, I would vote against the one on TDH. Again, it has nothing to do with the quality of the build, I would take it as a generic Mandalorian Protector. However, I feel it doesn't accuratly portray Fenn Shysa as he's been seen in all refrence material and is a disservice to the character.

Personally, at the moment, I'm just gunning for TK 2280 to get his Kal Skirata Legion approved. He has as many or more references as Jodo and Jaster do and the kit's top notch!

I agree, I've been watching his progress pretty intently. So A'den, what would be a good start for Fenn Shysa? What sources would be good for the costume (comic, action figure, etc)? Cause I think the guy on TDH made a good attempt (especially the helmet) but it went off track somewhere. Looked too Boba Fett.

You know what they say about a Mando'ad who starts removing his earings right? - Venn Tosa about to give some di'kut a kick in the shebs

Peregrinus

• Ven'cuyi o'r ni'havlaam... >_>
« Reply #47 on: Dec 22, 2009, 03:42 AM »
I've seen Danikin's Shysa. There are a number of things I don't like about it, from paint choices, to his accessorizing (belt pouches are wrong, gauntlets are wrong, and he has a sidearm where Fenn never did...). I haven't said anything because he's so proud of it and I don't want to be a downer -- and there's no CRL anyway, because...

The loose rule is three EU sources for costumes that didn't appear in one of the movies or TV shows. The "multiple issues of one comic series count as one source" thing is partly about the artist -- if it's one artist for the entire run, that's one source, but if a different artist takes over partway through, that would count as two. And also for the one artist to portray the costume consistently within that once source, in which case Marvel Star Wars fails hard.

Even when he's wearing that light-armoured version, it's different from one panel to the next. In the splash page with Boba and Tobbi, he's wearing the familiar rocketpack, so I will, too, but his light-armour rocketpack is never depicted consistently, along with his blasters. Sometimes he has the pathetic excuse for a mythosaur badge on one shoulder, sometimes the other, sometimes both, sometimes neither, sometimes just on the shoulder of his flight suit because he doesn't have shoulder armour in that panel... -___-

It's made worse by the fact that he's shown in three distinct costumes inconsistently: light armour, then full-Boba in flashback, light armour some more, the white/silver full armour, then the light armour again, then the light armour and the silver amrour and back in the same issue, then another version of the light armour... *sigh*

If it werent for the fact that it seriously interferes with the front zipper of the flight suit, I'd say the light-armour look is what's under the flak vest. For those occasions when the neck-down armorweave of the flight-suit will suffice, without the need for additional heavy plates (except, apparantly, the groin plate -- good to know Fenn has priorities).

--Jonah

MABEL #008

WIP "clearing house" posts:
Protector-themed v0.5 kit

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 2016 Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #48 on: Dec 22, 2009, 08:51 AM »
Danikin made a great Boba costume and used a Shysa helmet.  To me thats not Shysa, that's boba with an alternate helmet.  I've never even seen a picture where Shysa's armor looks anything like Boba's armor from the movies...and thats what Danikin was wearing at SDCC this year.

Shysa has enough EU references to be on a canon organization's list.  Why he hasn't yet is beyond me, but it may have something to do with the complete inconsistencies of his armor in every canon appearance.  Personally, I think the figure is the most incorrect appearance of him, because it shows him in medium armor when 99.9% of his EU appearances show him in light armor.  Figures are really hard to get a good frame of reference. 

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*
« Reply #49 on: Dec 22, 2009, 10:08 AM »
Shysa is the same boat as Montross... HE has TOO many refs that are way too wildly variant. It is almost impossible to get a good, clear and consistent look of 'this is for certain what he had'. Which is all they honestly look for. I have run into the same issue with doing research for a Montross build (as encouraged by some officers and members in the Garrison i'm at).

In the end, doing the costume you want isn't nearly as formulaic or strict (in our area) as it appears. You have to have good references, the CRL's need to be detailed and precise with no room for mis-interprets, and you need to be able to build a kit from them multiple times.

Also, not to insult any Shysa fans, but he's not that wildly a popular character. And, 9/10 times, when wearing him, you will be called Boba Fett. Or, depending on the Con, you may even have someone with enough brains to come up and tell you how you did your costume WRONG. I've seen it happen at Faire's and Cons with different portrayls (but the same sort of situation) and I think that, along with the scattered and varied refs, is why.

As far Jodo, I have no idea, i'pve not researched him. But we can tell from the Comics that Jango takes up Jaster's armor and equipment, so I think in a case where you have two strong references and a wealth of images in one source, and then not necessarily a distinct third, but one strong enough to make the project feasible, then it's a go. That's my opinion on it though. It depends on your GML and the strength of your case/evidence.

And Fenn has the evidence, I just don't think he'll work for the 501st as he is pretty well known for not liking the Empire.As to the RC, the character doesn't ALWAYS have to be a hard-core, permanent Empire supporter with matchin merchandise/fan-club card to prove it, lol. Vader, in the end, turned on the Empire and tossed Sidious into the depths of the Death Star... I'm fairly certain that qualifies as rebelling. lol.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #50 on: Dec 22, 2009, 11:48 AM »
I agree, I've been watching his progress pretty intently. So A'den, what would be a good start for Fenn Shysa? What sources would be good for the costume (comic, action figure, etc)? Cause I think the guy on TDH made a good attempt (especially the helmet) but it went off track somewhere. Looked too Boba Fett.

The first thing is, the flightsuit and vest should be green. I don't have an issue with the OD paint apps but, the softs should be green too. As Pere said, no sidearm, incorrect gaunts and jetpack. I think if those were straightened out it'd look sweet.

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #51 on: Dec 22, 2009, 02:03 PM »
ya that padded armor and cloth from the pic is just his green flightsuit underneath the armor

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Corvax

« Reply #52 on: Dec 22, 2009, 03:40 PM »
Golly... if only there was a costuming group that would allow a Fenn or Montross or Kal...  ;)

- Founder and Supreme Leader of the "Legion Of Snarky Troopers", LOST. -
"If  you whine long enough, someone will eventually hear you. If you keep whining after you're heard, someone will eventually shoot you."

Dar'manda

« Reply #53 on: Dec 22, 2009, 04:54 PM »
I dunno

I've always wondered how I'd feel trooping next to a Montross

ya it's a unique and cool costume, granted not many of us have the 'build' for Montross. let's be honest, if you don't have the guns, wear freaking sleeves! but ya, I'd probably still want to shoot the guy. screw Montross, he was a tool

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Venn Tosa

« Reply #54 on: Dec 22, 2009, 05:10 PM »
The first thing is, the flightsuit and vest should be green. I don't have an issue with the OD paint apps but, the softs should be green too. As Pere said, no sidearm, incorrect gaunts and jetpack. I think if those were straightened out it'd look sweet.

How about soft parts? Color and type? And as far as the green color of the flightsuit itself, would it have to be the bright green of the Marvel series or could it be a more muted natural color?

Golly... if only there was a costuming group that would allow a Fenn or Montross or Kal...  ;)

Hmm... if only. :rolleyes:

You know what they say about a Mando'ad who starts removing his earings right? - Venn Tosa about to give some di'kut a kick in the shebs

Dar'manda

« Reply #55 on: Dec 22, 2009, 05:14 PM »
How about soft parts? Color and type? And as far as the green color of the flightsuit itself, would it have to be the bright green of the Marvel series or could it be a more muted natural color?

I mean if you were going for 'the look' it'd have to be that green

Venn Tosa

« Reply #56 on: Dec 22, 2009, 06:21 PM »
Yeah, there would be no confusing me for Boba Fett then. :o

Still, I really hate the bright "Marvel" look. Maybe this is why we don't see any Fenn Shysa's running around ever. I would work on it, in place of my own custom even, if I knew where to start.

Peregrinus

• Ven'cuyi o'r ni'havlaam... >_>
« Reply #57 on: Dec 22, 2009, 07:00 PM »

You want geeky? Here's geeky. In-universe, it's supposed to be an "armored spacesuit". That implies more pressure and thermal regulatory properties than cotton coveralls. I have notions of something like a Dune stillsuit in a bodyhugging layer, with armoured and pressurized g-suit over that. This would be the layer made with the armorweave cloth. I'd happily say this is that bright green thing. Then last is the zip-up-the-front outer layer that keeps everything clean and tidy. Shysa just left off the vest and voeralls and heavy rocketpack in favour of something better suited to guerrilla warfare, and stuck his knees and cod and belt on over that.

I would still mute the garishness of Marvel's colours. Go for something more kelly green or hunter green. That'll mesh well with accurately-coloured armour.

I'm doing the Clone Wars-era Shysa, which will be straight Boba, all layers, with the differences I detailed above. I don't care if people call me Boba. If anyone tells me I did it wrong, I have no problem taking thirty seconds to say I did it right, for what I did. It was supposed to be the uniform of the Mandalorian Protectors, after all. That would tend to imply a certain uniformity. ;)

And maybe I'll do the pressure suit, too... Wander around Dragon*Con, bucket off, in my Mando skivvies, and see if anyone recognizes it. *chuckle*

--Jonah

MABEL #008

WIP "clearing house" posts:
Protector-themed v0.5 kit

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Dar'manda

« Reply #58 on: Dec 22, 2009, 07:31 PM »
well, not all the protectors are uniform.

technically, in LoTF Boba is Mandalore of the protectors, and they wear all sorts of colors and armor
although under spar's rule and in that han solo "tales" comic, they are all dressed like fett, but thats for artistic effect

Ghez Hokan

• War is about applying your brains.
« Reply #59 on: Dec 22, 2009, 07:58 PM »
Not necessarily. Here's a panel from one of the Clone Wars comics with a whole mess of Spar's Protectors in various colors.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!