Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Fenn Shysa's canon appearance?

• 80 Replies

Venn Tosa

• Verd Ori'shya Beskar'gam
Fenn Shysa's canon appearance?
« on: Dec 21, 2009, 03:11 AM »
Anyone know? I checked out his article on Wookieepedia and there are several images of him, mostly from the old Marvel comic series. In those it looks like his armor and gear is pretty similar to Boba Fett's, especially during the Clone Wars. He is sporting some Jaig Eyes though. Later however, during the Rebellion he's sporting white armor with no markings and a ridiculous orange flightsuit.

There is one pic however, from Star Wars Gamer where he's back in the green armor, but no markings. This is the one I think looks the best. Looking for feedback however. Here's that pic.

You know what they say about a Mando'ad who starts removing his earings right? - Venn Tosa about to give some di'kut a kick in the shebs

Demar Falco

• What doesnt kill me...better start running
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Beastmaster Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: Fenn Shysa's canon appearance?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2009, 11:27 AM »
i dont know....but his gun looks like a small AR from halo

Venn Tosa

« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2009, 04:24 PM »
The gun is pretty cool looking IMO.

Anyone else notice that the armor on his torso is radically different?

You know what they say about a Mando'ad who starts removing his earings right? - Venn Tosa about to give some di'kut a kick in the shebs

Ka'ox Veed

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2009, 04:43 PM »
Thats not Fynn its Jodo.

Venn Tosa

« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2009, 04:50 PM »
Ha, I know it can get confusing when they all have the same olive armor but the dude with the Blood Carver in the first pic is supposedly Fenn Shysa.

Here's Jodo Kast (and not for much longer apparently... :'()

Corvax

« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2009, 04:51 PM »
No it's not Jodo Kast.  I have that issue of the Star Wars Gamer and it is definately Fenn Shysa.

Has anyone done the "soft" Mando that he sports in the Marvel comic run? I like it and would be interested if someone has a pattern.

- Founder and Supreme Leader of the "Legion Of Snarky Troopers", LOST. -
"If  you whine long enough, someone will eventually hear you. If you keep whining after you're heard, someone will eventually shoot you."

Venn Tosa

« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2009, 04:53 PM »
I didn't even know there was a "soft" Mando armor.

Mar'eyce

• Ma-ray-shay
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2009, 05:05 PM »
The tricky thing about Fenn is that in nearly every publication that featured him, he was drawn a different way.  I tend to prefer the look he had when he first appeared, in "The Search Begins".  Of course, his armor and soft parts are all the same bright green in that comic... so if I were to build the costume, I would tone it down a bit to be a more olive(Boba-ish) shade.

I have seen one or two costumers' versions where the kit is exactly the same as ESB Boba Fett except for the helmet and the lack of Fett's chest emblem. Honestly, when interpereted that way, I think it looks too much like Boba because even the soft parts are identical. 

Anyhow, my favourite pic of him is this one:

It has the green soft parts, but the kit isn't as brightly coloured as in the old comics.  The only thing I would change is the blue/grey on the helmet to black.

Corvax

« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2009, 05:08 PM »
By "soft" costume I mean the appearance like in the picture Venn posted above (as he also first appeared in Marvel).  It is a soft looking vest (quilted maybe?)  over a flight suit (or integrated into) but with standard Mando helmet and gaunts. 

"If  you whine long enough, someone will eventually hear you. If you keep whining after you're heard, someone will eventually shoot you."

Mar'eyce

• Ma-ray-shay
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2009, 05:13 PM »
I have never seen anyone attempt to make anything like that. It looks to me like a flak vest with a quilted panel, maybe trimmed with cording of some kind. It could be an interesting project to try and figure out how to make it. :)

Venn Tosa

« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2009, 05:17 PM »
Poor sheb is karking Mand'alor and he can't even afford proper armor haha. ;)

So Mar'eyce you're saying a green flightsuit and vest with olive green armor would be good? Cause I agree with you about the potential to look too much like Boba Fett. And regarding the pic you provided (where he doesn't look old enough to shave lol), why change the grey to black?

Mar'eyce

• Ma-ray-shay
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2009, 05:26 PM »
Poor sheb is karking Mand'alor and he can't even afford proper armor haha. ;)

So Mar'eyce you're saying a green flightsuit and vest with olive green armor would be good? Cause I agree with you about the potential to look too much like Boba Fett. And regarding the pic you provided (where he doesn't look old enough to shave lol), why change the grey to black?

lol....I guess not being able to afford armor would make sense if this took place during the time when the Empire had taken over and Fenn and his guys were all living in treehouses in the jungle. ;)

But anyhow, I do think the kit would look good with olive green armor and perhaps a faded green for the soft parts, because it would  set it apart from Boba.

And I would change the grey on the helmet to black simply because it's black in the comics.

Corvax

« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2009, 05:29 PM »
And remember Leia confused him with Boba because his armor looked similar.

Venn Tosa

« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2009, 05:34 PM »
And I would change the grey on the helmet to black simply because it's black in the comics.

Understood ner vod. And your comments about the treehouses makes sense too.

A green vest though? Seems odd to me. And what about the other soft parts, literally the same as Boba Fett? Did he also have a cape?

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2009, 05:37 PM »
People confuse Kal Falco for Boba Fett in Real Life so... I don't think the colors being so similar are an issue. The only Galaxy reknown Mandalorian at the time is Boba Fett. So, if Fenn swoops in brazen, brash, highly confident, showing leadership tendencies and wearing green... most people in the galaxy would make that assumption.

As for the colors, I agree with Mar'eyce. I've seen 1 really nice Fennn Shysha in Rl at SDCC09. It looked great but, it was essentially an ESB Boba Fett repaint. So much to the point that the only way I realized it wasn't an ESB Boba was the jaig eyes on the helmet. To me, that's just incorrect and inaccurate to the character.

Of course, I can;t stand the bright lame green and the gold and silver/white armor either.

I see Fenn in an OD flightsuit, with OD plates, his sigils, modded gaunts to look less like Boba's as Fenn had totally different equip on them. The JP shouldnt be the same as Fett's either. As for the helmet, I like the blue cheeks and white face.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2009, 05:39 PM »
As for the first pic posted... I would assume that's mission specific soft body armor. Like a bullet proof vest if you will. However, that design wouldn't pass CRL's. It'd be cool for an auxillary set of armor but, not approvable for the primary.

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2009, 05:39 PM »
I always enjoyed Fenn's "Mandalore" armor

but ya the image you see from the book in the OP is the same from the comics that he wore. It's his flightsuit underneath his Mando chestplate

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Corvax

« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2009, 05:44 PM »
It'd be cool for an auxillary set of armor but, not approvable for the primary.

While I defer to your role in costume approval, not all costumes have to be  "canon". 

(which is pretty ironic for a group of custom costumers and sounds a bit like the Tupperboys)

Sometimes you just have to wear a costume for yourself.

Hondo Karr

« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2009, 05:48 PM »
I agree Corvax. Not saying it's canon or not canon as in a custom club that has no bearing on a costume here. All of our kits fit a canon style but our characters etc. aren't canon.

That being said, I was just laying out that if s new member were to build this and submit it for approval, they should know ahead of time that it doesn't meet the CRL's for armor as it's well under armored for current Modern Era CRL's. That's not meant to be a deterant at all, just passing along info. Also, if a kit is not approved, it can't be worn to Official Mercs Events, only open events.

McCoy: I love the style of his Mandalore armor but the colors are too Yukon Cornelius to me lol!

Ka'ox Veed

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #19 on: Dec 21, 2009, 05:54 PM »
Sorry I confused myself.

Corvax

« Reply #20 on: Dec 21, 2009, 05:55 PM »
From Marvel Star Wars issue 68

http://www.nukecd.com/cayce/mandcomix/Marvel%20Comics%20-%20Star%20Wars%20%23068/Marvel%20Star%20Wars%20068-13.JPG

It looks very "soft" here.  But isn't just an undersuit since we never see him take off over-armor and he still has his jetpack on.

Although it could just be "stylized"

Mar'eyce

• Ma-ray-shay
« Reply #21 on: Dec 21, 2009, 05:59 PM »
Just having old comic books for reference creates a real challenge. In the early comics Fenn was wearing all green, but then again so was Boba Fett Spar.

Fenn is on the left, and at the time the comic was published, the guy in the middle was supposed to be Boba. His armor looks very different than in the films though. The bright green suits are awful, but we do have to remember that this is the same comic that had Dengar wearing blue and purple.

One thing that does stand out on Fenn's kit is the gauntlet blasters. And his jetpack appears to be different too.

I always enjoyed Fenn's "Mandalore" armor

It goes so well with his bright yellow hair!  :D

I guess it could be re-interpreted with a slighly more subdued shade for the soft parts. He looks like he stole his flightsuit from an X-wing pilot.

« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2009, 06:01 PM by Mar'eyce » Logged

Corvax

« Reply #22 on: Dec 21, 2009, 06:01 PM »
If I recall... the orange jumpsuit with white armor comes from an issue where Fenn was training on X-wings with the Rebel Alliance.

Venn Tosa

« Reply #23 on: Dec 21, 2009, 06:08 PM »
So I did a Google image search for Mr. Shysa and came up with pics of an action figure that was put out by Hasbro. It was one of their two-figure packs that they've been doing for awhile now. In it Fenn is side-by-side with Dengar.

How come Fenn has Jango's blasters?

Mar'eyce

• Ma-ray-shay
« Reply #24 on: Dec 21, 2009, 06:10 PM »
How come Fenn has Jango's blasters?

Because his action figure is just a repainted Jango with a new head. :P  

Oooh, look at pretty purple Dengar!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!