Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Fenn Shysa's canon appearance?

• 80 Replies

Corvax

Re: Fenn Shysa's canon appearance?
« Reply #25 on: Dec 21, 2009, 06:11 PM »
Yeah, just like Tobi  is a repainted Evolutions Boba.

I'm assuming Fenn and Tobi's armor are retconned to be like their action figures.

- Founder and Supreme Leader of the "Legion Of Snarky Troopers", LOST. -
"If  you whine long enough, someone will eventually hear you. If you keep whining after you're heard, someone will eventually shoot you."

Mar'eyce

• Ma-ray-shay
« Reply #26 on: Dec 21, 2009, 06:14 PM »
I have both the Fenn and Tobi figures. At least Fenn's head looks like him, but Tobi's figure has hair when he was clearly bald in the comics.

That orange ammo belt is just scary though.

Corvax

« Reply #27 on: Dec 21, 2009, 06:17 PM »
The Tobi reminds me of Jason Statham.  I interpret it to be closely shaved, "stubble" hair.

- Founder and Supreme Leader of the "Legion Of Snarky Troopers", LOST. -
"If  you whine long enough, someone will eventually hear you. If you keep whining after you're heard, someone will eventually shoot you."

Venn Tosa

• Verd Ori'shya Beskar'gam
« Reply #28 on: Dec 21, 2009, 06:25 PM »
So... could someone use a Jango holster rig, two westars, and a belt with Boba style pounches as part of a Fenn Shysa costume?

You know what they say about a Mando'ad who starts removing his earings right? - Venn Tosa about to give some di'kut a kick in the shebs

Ghez Hokan

• War is about applying your brains.
« Reply #29 on: Dec 21, 2009, 06:31 PM »
The Tobi reminds me of Jason Statham.  I interpret it to be closely shaved, "stubble" hair.

I was thinking the exact same thing just now lol

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #30 on: Dec 21, 2009, 07:13 PM »
I think if you were to build a Fenn utilizes all sources, like I did when I built my Mandalore th Indomitable, staying true to teh character and keeping the "tell" markings like the white face, gauntlet mounted blasters and jaig eyes, you'd be fine. Fenn isnt accepted by the 501st... I don;t know why... perhaps no one's tried? But, for the sake of this club, f you were to do Fenn, copying any one of teh sources or utilizing them all would be fine. Just as long as it was clearly Fenn when you were done.

Mar'eyce

• Ma-ray-shay
« Reply #31 on: Dec 21, 2009, 07:26 PM »
I've wondered about that myself; why there are no Fenns in the 501st. Maybe because he's an enemy of the Empire?

But he isn't allowed in the Rebel Legion either. :(

Ghez Hokan

« Reply #32 on: Dec 21, 2009, 07:36 PM »
Yes, it would be because he's a rebel.

Ka'ox Veed

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #33 on: Dec 21, 2009, 07:48 PM »
Doesn't there also have to be 3 canonical references to make the costume acceptable in the 501st? Hence why Imperial Knights are not allowed.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #34 on: Dec 21, 2009, 08:37 PM »
I don't think it's because he's a "rebel". He's a Mandalorian and although Jodo and Jaster were not Imperial's they are classed as Bounty Hunter's, I would imagine Fenn would be the same as with all Mando's when they allowed customs, regardless of your characters "backstory".

Also, the 3 references thing is possible however, where are Jaster and Jodo's 3 references? Yet they are allowed.

Ghez Hokan

« Reply #35 on: Dec 21, 2009, 08:43 PM »
Those classed as "Bounty Hunters" or "Denizens of the Empire" are those non-Imperial characters that would/could conceivably side with the Empire. Why they include Tuskens, I have no clue.

Mar'eyce

• Ma-ray-shay
« Reply #36 on: Dec 21, 2009, 08:51 PM »
I don't think it's because he's a "rebel". He's a Mandalorian and although Jodo and Jaster were not Imperial's they are classed as Bounty Hunter's, I would imagine Fenn would be the same as with all Mando's when they allowed customs, regardless of your characters "backstory".

Also, the 3 references thing is possible however, where are Jaster and Jodo's 3 references? Yet they are allowed.

As far as I know, both the 501st and the Rebel Legion require 3 canonical visual references to allow an expanded universe costume.  But, you make a good point about Jaster and Jodo.

Maybe part of the problem with Fenn being accepted into either one is the inconsistency of his appearance across the references that do exist. Unless each version were to be regarded as a separate costume. But in that case purple Dengar should be allowed in the 501st too.

Those classed as "Bounty Hunters" or "Denizens of the Empire" are those non-Imperial characters that would/could conceivably side with the Empire. Why they include Tuskens, I have no clue.

I guess because Tuskens are "bad guys".   But  Fenn Shysa....enemy of the Empire, liberator of his people, and ally of the Rebel Alliance.....is a "good guy".   :P  

Jare Hasan

• Clan Murraan PR Officer
« Reply #37 on: Dec 21, 2009, 08:55 PM »

For Jodo, IIRC, the 3 refs were comic book, trading card, and action figure.  I have no idea if there's ever been a Jaster action figure, but I would guess 2 of hsi refs would be comic book and trading card?

There's always free cheese in a mousetrap.

Peregrinus

• Ven'cuyi o'r ni'havlaam... >_>
« Reply #38 on: Dec 21, 2009, 10:02 PM »
I have a Fenn Shysa costume waiting in the wings once I've gotten a good enough start on my custom. I am one of the ones who is going to start wtih ESB-Boba and go from there. Largely copy-pasted from another board, and slightly edited, is me reasoning here:

ere's the big reference:

The rest of that issue, he's wearing something lighter, but still has the same helmet, belt, and gauntlets.

In that picture, Boba, Fenn, and Tobbi Dala all have the same basic (incorrect) colour scheme. Here's the cover of the same issue:

So the cover colorist had a slightly better idea. But still, both of those were using this image for reference:

*sigh*

So my first step was to opt to correct the colours back to what they should be. I have accumulated all the heavily-researched original paints, with a couple exceptions/revisions. Here they all are...

The only one that isn't ESB Boba is the pale green third from the right (NYC Jade Green) that I'm going to lighten with white and use for the jaig eyes.

The belt has six double-wide pouches across the front, then a pair of leather versions of Boba's side "saddlebags", then six regular Boba pouches across the back.

The hardest part has been nailing down the gauntlets, as the blasters on them are drawn differently from panel to panel. Minus the wookiee scalps, sidearm, and slung blaster, the rest is probably going to be straight ESB Boba.

I just finished scanning every panel Fenn appeared in (in his armor and as more than a silhouette) through the entire Marvel run, #68, #99, #100, #101, and #107. I'm cleaning them up now. I like his Mandalore armour, too (first appeared in #99, back to green in #100), and would do the flightsuit as more of a saffron linen and the armour in polished bare-metal. But I far prefer the Boba-esque armour. :)

--Jonah

MABEL #008

WIP "clearing house" posts:
Protector-themed v0.5 kit

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #39 on: Dec 21, 2009, 10:34 PM »
action figures don't count as references

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Jare Hasan

• Clan Murraan PR Officer
« Reply #40 on: Dec 21, 2009, 10:41 PM »
They do for Baron Fel.

There's always free cheese in a mousetrap.
« Reply #41 on: Dec 21, 2009, 11:05 PM »
Here's a question, do alternate covers count as part of the same source, or a different one, since they are often farmed out to a different design team.

Venn Tosa

« Reply #42 on: Dec 21, 2009, 11:35 PM »
Here's a question, do alternate covers count as part of the same source, or a different one, since they are often farmed out to a different design team.

Hmm, good question. I would say, in my opinion, that if the artist is different then it's a different source.

Here's a pretty good Fenn Shysa I found on the Dented Helmet.

http://thedentedhelmet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33141&highlight=fenn+shysa

Looks pretty awesome to me. If I was going to do a Shysa I would use this for some inspiration. Might make some small changes, like changing the flighsuit color to green for example.

You know what they say about a Mando'ad who starts removing his earings right? - Venn Tosa about to give some di'kut a kick in the shebs

Hondo Karr

« Reply #43 on: Dec 21, 2009, 11:41 PM »
For Jodo, IIRC, the 3 refs were comic book, trading card, and action figure.  I have no idea if there's ever been a Jaster action figure, but I would guess 2 of hsi refs would be comic book and trading card?

Well, the comic book thing has been 2 pronged... 1. to get in kits they want... two seperate comic appearances has been fine. To keep out those they dont want, comics, regardless of the number of appearances count as 1 medium.

Even if that's the case though, how do they justify Jaster who only appeared in 2 of the 4 issues of Open Seasons and looked different in each issue?

Anyway, yes there is a Jodo action figure. It was a lousy repaint of a lousy ESB Boba Fett figure. It came our early 2009... long after Jodo was accepted to the Legion.

I honestly think Fenn has merit to be accepted by the Legion if someone were to try. Honestly dont know that it's been attempted yet. I'm aware of the Fenn seen at TDH, that was the one I saw at SDCC09 and although a beautiful kit, I felt it was just wrong for Fenn. But, that's just me. There have been Boba Fett toys made from the Boba Fett comics loos and they looked like the comics. The Legions Boba costumes are based on how he appeared in teh movies. Since Fenn appeared in comics only, I don't think it's fair to the character to make him appear like Boba Fett did in the movies. He should look like he did in the comics. Were we to get an application here for a Fenn Shysa, I would vote against the one on TDH. Again, it has nothing to do with the quality of the build, I would take it as a generic Mandalorian Protector. However, I feel it doesn't accuratly portray Fenn Shysa as he's been seen in all refrence material and is a disservice to the character.

Personally, at the moment, I'm just gunning for TK 2280 to get his Kal Skirata Legion approved. He has as many or more references as Jodo and Jaster do and the kit's top notch!

« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2009, 11:50 PM by A'den Skirata » Logged

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #44 on: Dec 21, 2009, 11:56 PM »
I dunno, one of Kal's appearances he's not even wearing armor

May I just say, the threads lately have been intellectually stimulating. I have enjoying having all the nerdy conversations on these EU jaster/deathwatch/fenn topics  ;D

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

No'saj Huune

• Nomad in Killeen/Ft. Hood
« Reply #45 on: Dec 22, 2009, 12:55 AM »
Doesn't there also have to be 3 canonical references to make the costume acceptable in the 501st? Hence why Imperial Knights are not allowed.

You brought up a good question and here's the their official requirement as far as "canonical referances":

Article II - Membership

A. The 501st Legion is an inclusive, equal-opportunity fan club and will not tolerate discrimination on the grounds of sex, race, sexual orientation, or religion. The only requirements for membership are "ownership" of an accurate, complete, and professional-quality costume celebrating the Imperial (Dark Side) characters from the Star Wars films or its expanded universe sources, that the member is able to wear said costume(s) and that the member must be at least eighteen (18) years of age. Membership is granted only after an application is made to the Legion and by a Garrison Membership Liaison (GML) assigned to the prospective member's geographic region. Persons under the age of 18 are not allowed as listed members of the 501st Legion club. The 501st claims no responsibility for minors at events that are hosted or attended by its members.......

However according to their Costume Reference Library ( http://www.501stlegion.org/crl/ ) Fenn doesn't qualify and I can't find a reason why.  Also it would seem they are in need of reviewing their acceptable character list as just about all of the Republic Commando's from the novels jumped ship (except for Darman and Niner for now) and never became part of the 501st.

Those who wander aren't always lost.

Venn Tosa

« Reply #46 on: Dec 22, 2009, 01:20 AM »
Were we to get an application here for a Fenn Shysa, I would vote against the one on TDH. Again, it has nothing to do with the quality of the build, I would take it as a generic Mandalorian Protector. However, I feel it doesn't accuratly portray Fenn Shysa as he's been seen in all refrence material and is a disservice to the character.

Personally, at the moment, I'm just gunning for TK 2280 to get his Kal Skirata Legion approved. He has as many or more references as Jodo and Jaster do and the kit's top notch!

I agree, I've been watching his progress pretty intently. So A'den, what would be a good start for Fenn Shysa? What sources would be good for the costume (comic, action figure, etc)? Cause I think the guy on TDH made a good attempt (especially the helmet) but it went off track somewhere. Looked too Boba Fett.

Peregrinus

• Ven'cuyi o'r ni'havlaam... >_>
« Reply #47 on: Dec 22, 2009, 03:42 AM »
I've seen Danikin's Shysa. There are a number of things I don't like about it, from paint choices, to his accessorizing (belt pouches are wrong, gauntlets are wrong, and he has a sidearm where Fenn never did...). I haven't said anything because he's so proud of it and I don't want to be a downer -- and there's no CRL anyway, because...

The loose rule is three EU sources for costumes that didn't appear in one of the movies or TV shows. The "multiple issues of one comic series count as one source" thing is partly about the artist -- if it's one artist for the entire run, that's one source, but if a different artist takes over partway through, that would count as two. And also for the one artist to portray the costume consistently within that once source, in which case Marvel Star Wars fails hard.

Even when he's wearing that light-armoured version, it's different from one panel to the next. In the splash page with Boba and Tobbi, he's wearing the familiar rocketpack, so I will, too, but his light-armour rocketpack is never depicted consistently, along with his blasters. Sometimes he has the pathetic excuse for a mythosaur badge on one shoulder, sometimes the other, sometimes both, sometimes neither, sometimes just on the shoulder of his flight suit because he doesn't have shoulder armour in that panel... -___-

It's made worse by the fact that he's shown in three distinct costumes inconsistently: light armour, then full-Boba in flashback, light armour some more, the white/silver full armour, then the light armour again, then the light armour and the silver amrour and back in the same issue, then another version of the light armour... *sigh*

If it werent for the fact that it seriously interferes with the front zipper of the flight suit, I'd say the light-armour look is what's under the flak vest. For those occasions when the neck-down armorweave of the flight-suit will suffice, without the need for additional heavy plates (except, apparantly, the groin plate -- good to know Fenn has priorities).

--Jonah

MABEL #008

WIP "clearing house" posts:
Protector-themed v0.5 kit

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #48 on: Dec 22, 2009, 08:51 AM »
Danikin made a great Boba costume and used a Shysa helmet.  To me thats not Shysa, that's boba with an alternate helmet.  I've never even seen a picture where Shysa's armor looks anything like Boba's armor from the movies...and thats what Danikin was wearing at SDCC this year.

Shysa has enough EU references to be on a canon organization's list.  Why he hasn't yet is beyond me, but it may have something to do with the complete inconsistencies of his armor in every canon appearance.  Personally, I think the figure is the most incorrect appearance of him, because it shows him in medium armor when 99.9% of his EU appearances show him in light armor.  Figures are really hard to get a good frame of reference. 

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*
« Reply #49 on: Dec 22, 2009, 10:08 AM »
Shysa is the same boat as Montross... HE has TOO many refs that are way too wildly variant. It is almost impossible to get a good, clear and consistent look of 'this is for certain what he had'. Which is all they honestly look for. I have run into the same issue with doing research for a Montross build (as encouraged by some officers and members in the Garrison i'm at).

In the end, doing the costume you want isn't nearly as formulaic or strict (in our area) as it appears. You have to have good references, the CRL's need to be detailed and precise with no room for mis-interprets, and you need to be able to build a kit from them multiple times.

Also, not to insult any Shysa fans, but he's not that wildly a popular character. And, 9/10 times, when wearing him, you will be called Boba Fett. Or, depending on the Con, you may even have someone with enough brains to come up and tell you how you did your costume WRONG. I've seen it happen at Faire's and Cons with different portrayls (but the same sort of situation) and I think that, along with the scattered and varied refs, is why.

As far Jodo, I have no idea, i'pve not researched him. But we can tell from the Comics that Jango takes up Jaster's armor and equipment, so I think in a case where you have two strong references and a wealth of images in one source, and then not necessarily a distinct third, but one strong enough to make the project feasible, then it's a go. That's my opinion on it though. It depends on your GML and the strength of your case/evidence.

And Fenn has the evidence, I just don't think he'll work for the 501st as he is pretty well known for not liking the Empire.As to the RC, the character doesn't ALWAYS have to be a hard-core, permanent Empire supporter with matchin merchandise/fan-club card to prove it, lol. Vader, in the end, turned on the Empire and tossed Sidious into the depths of the Death Star... I'm fairly certain that qualifies as rebelling. lol.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!