Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

The Airsofting Mandalorian - The Blaster WIP

• 9 Replies

TheJFA

• The Airsofting Mandalorian
The Airsofting Mandalorian - The Blaster WIP
« on: Jul 14, 2021, 03:37 PM »
 My idea is to create a functional airsoft Star Wars blaster. While I understand I could buy ones already assembled, what would the fun in that be?

My base gun will be the Elite Force H8R. I am going for an EE3 like blaster, so I'll be creating a barrel shroud and stock for the revolver.

The idea is to create something I can both use on the airsoft field, and then mod it so I can troop with it.

Much of the these first couple posts will be backtracking, as I jumped right into the fabrication process.

I drew up a sketch of the approximate shape and obtained some PVC and sink tubing pieces.

I cut off the front sights and sanded down the rear mounts. The white PVC tube was then cut to fit over the top on the revolver barrel as a shroud.

Next I drilled and tapped two screws, offset from center, on the top so they didn't screw into the middle seam of revolver (it's a clamshell design). Then I connected the sink tubing to the PVC shroud using a bit of glue and the threads on the sink tube.

Then I moved on to the stock. I traced the revolver's handle and shaped out a design on a, I think 1/2 inch, sheet of wood. Once it was cut out, I rounded off the edges, giving the stock a little more definition. I will eventually apply a dark stain to the wood.

I lined up the stock and handle for mounting screws, then drilled and tapped. The last bit I added a metal bracket connecting the bottom of the handle to the bottom of the stock. This was to give the stock a little more stability.

Here are some photos to go along with my work:

The Airsofting Mandalorian part 6- The Blaster WIP https://imgur.com/a/TGHeAr9

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
  • Awards Donated one quarter of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Re: The Airsofting Mandalorian - The Blaster WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2021, 08:12 PM »
Just for clarification, this is just a "for fun" project and not what you're hoping to use with your kit for approval, correct? Functional blasters of any type, including Nerf are not permitted for kits. All the working machinery has to be rendered inoperable.

Just wanted to establish that upfront.

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Cabur Akaata Member 139 | O.S.B.A. 007
Gunslinger - Special Weapons Brigade
Anansi's Longstrike Carbine
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

TheJFA

« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2021, 08:02 AM »
Yes the blaster with be rendered inoperable.

In my attempt to have the blaster be functional, I purchased several revolvers. What I intend to do is to have two models. One for show, the other for the field.

I cut grooves in the sink tube to attach the laser dot and used some corrugated tubing for the front. I then cut a wiper blade into a front sight.

The Airsofting Mandalorian part 7 The Blaster WIP https://imgur.com/a/bgu9JIh

TheJFA

« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2021, 04:03 AM »
An update, with a link to imgur below.

I have been slowing plugging away at the blaster.

I started off with a dark wood stain straight to the blaster stock, but I was very displeased with the results. It was rather grainy and rough, which was my fault for not sanding down the wood a little further. There were also spiral grooves from the orbital sander that showed through. I didn't really prefer this...

So I sanded off most of the stain with a 220 grit. Then I used a 320 grit. Lastly, I finalized sanding with a strip of 500 grit.

After the (re) sanding was complete, I rinsed the wood with mineral spirits and allowed it to dry. However, I made another slight mistake. After I had finished removing the rest of the mineral spirits, I touched the wood with my (gloved) hand. Though I had removed the oil from the wood, there was some left over on my gloves, which then transferred back to the wood. Now I have a slightly lighter spot on the wood. It is noticable, but not glaring, so I decided to leave it. Kind of like a natural wood patine if you will.

Next up is protecting the stain with some polyurethane spray coating.

While the stock was being worked on, I put down a coat of primer grey on the barrel shroud. I'll be finishing the shroud with a solid coat of satin black. I'm hoping the satin finish had enough shine to match a firearm coloring. I was leaning towards a semi-gloss, but didn't want the blaster to look that new out of the box look.

Last up for this update. I had some Perma blue stain for firearms. I had reconditioned my father's revolver and had some blue left over. I wiped some of the stock stabilizer and wrapped it in a paper towel. Unbeknownst to me at the time, by doing this it created a unique pattern similar to carbon fiber. Though very slight and not really noticable unless you look up close . The bolt and the nut were polished smooth with 320, 500, and 1000 grit sandpaper before Perma Blueing them.

To recap:
If you use mineral spirits and gloves, make sure to change clothes after you finish removing the spirits to prevent any transfer of said spirits back on to the wood.

If staining wood, take the time to sand smooth to avoid orbital sander spiral grooves.

Thanks again for following along.

Link to photos:

http://imgur.com/a/7K2XtC6

« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2021, 11:06 PM »
Im an airsofter myself, love what you are doing. I personally want to try a Verp after my kit that will use the workings of a ASG Sas 12.

I'm proud to be an American,where I know that I can run around looking like a Mandalorian!

TheJFA

« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2022, 05:13 PM »
Im an airsofter myself, love what you are doing. I personally want to try a Verp after my kit that will use the workings of a ASG Sas 12.

That would be awesome! If you end up starting that project, pm me. I would love to help if can.

TheJFA

« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2022, 05:25 PM »
I have reached the point where my blaster is 90% completed. Link to imgur below.

I still have to fill in the screw holes with Bondo, and paint them. Several of the attachment screws need to be glued down as well. It also needs to be refinished with a final coat of paint and touched up in other areas.

However, I unfortunately have reached a point where I'm a bit stuck. It may just be me, but my blaster looks a bit plain. And I don't quite know what to do about it. I was thinking about drilling some holes along the side of the barrel and looping wire, but I don't know if that would be too distracting. It might not even be necessary.

If you have any thoughts or suggestions, please let me know. Also if there is something glaringly obvious that I may have missed please point it out.

Thanks again for following along.

Link to imgur:
https://imgur.com/a/IA4K4z3

Desago

• Keep your wits sharp, and your blade sharper.
  • Awards 200 troops 150 troops 267th Rapid Assault 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Chicago
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2022, 05:32 PM »
So from reading over this post,
In my attempt to have the blaster be functional, I purchased several revolvers. What I intend to do is to have two models. One for show, the other for the field.

We do not allow any type of functional prop, having one for show and one for the "field",  In other words you would have one functional. This is not allowed.  an accidental discharge of a functional prop would not only be a liability issue, but grounds for removal from the club. 

Let us know if you have any questions on this subject.

Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya. - "Train your sons to be strong but your daughters to be stronger."
L.O.B # 22 | M.A.J.I.C # 166 |M.A.D. # 72 | M.T.S (Mando-Tough) # 89 | S.P.A.R.C.K. # 19 | M.A.C.K # 37| O.O.P.S.! # 27

TheJFA

« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2022, 06:43 PM »
So from reading over this post,
We do not allow any type of functional prop, having one for show and one for the "field",  In other words you would have one functional. This is not allowed.  an accidental discharge of a functional prop would not only be a liability issue, but grounds for removal from the club. 

Let us know if you have any questions on this subject.

Absolutely understood.

And to clarify, if and when I attend an event, none of my props will be functional. The items will be separate.

For this blaster specially, I drilled and tapped the CO2 cartridge holster, and removed the inner barrel.

I hope this alleviates any further concerns.

« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2022, 06:52 PM by TheJFA » Logged

Second Son

• Awards Special Weapons EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2022, 11:15 AM »
 I think your blaster already has a pretty good look as it is. If you want to add "more swarzy",  please consider:
  • removing the hammer and finishing off the resulting gap with a cover plate(further inoperable!)
  • one ridge or fin along the top of the barrel - max 1/4" tall
  • wrap your foregrip in leather or tea-stained cloth (recommend this anyway, the electric tape honestly looks half-hearted)
  • covering the ridges/rail on the top part of the base gun that's still exposed - inverted piece of metal channel, bolted on with socket screws.
  • concealing the socket connecting the wire to the thingy at the front - sheet metal folded to make a little box over it in brass would look good, and patina over time would look killer.  The socket/plug is pretty jarring to my eye.

Any one or combination of those would help bump up the swarz.

I would say a scope mounted off center, but tbh that may be too much for this particular prop.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!