Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Trench Bucket

• 13 Replies

Svik Katora

• Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Trench Bucket
« on: Sep 22, 2021, 04:12 AM »
After Solo came out I spent a lot of time thinking about trench warfare, the 224th armored division had some very cool looking gear, and I am always down to get a kit absolutely filthy with mud, so I felt very at home looking at the aesthetic of trench fighters and frontline soldiers. But it begs the question, what kind of helmet would a mandalorian design for trench warfare?
And then I remembered I'm a mandalorian.
And I can design helmets.
And make helmets.

So I started the process. I wanted something that evokes the feeling of heavily armored helmets. Protective, designed to keep shrapnel out of the thinky jello between your ears. But I would also need it to be practical for trooping, so it's got to have decent visibility, so that I don't bump into small children or R2 units as they bumble around cons. And as always, it's got to bring something new to the table. Something I haven't seen before.

Ladies, Gentlemen, Beings between and beyond the spectrum, I give you, the Trench.

A lot of hours in fusion and I've got a decent helmet, a few changes to make the app team happy and it was off to the 3d printer to check size. Once I was happy it would fit on a human head the molds were printed and the forming bucks were made.

Be glad you can simply see that happen in the span of two pictures, it was days of printing, hours of layering fiberglass and sanding out print lines, then filling voids in the fiberglass, and using bondo to fix the last minor problems in the bucks. This destroyed the printed mold but that's ok. Ideally these bucks will work for a few years before they need to be repaired or replaced. The Makers mark on the side is covered by the earcaps.

Now that we have bucks, we can make helmets! Onto the Vacuum former, I heated up some 1/8 abs, pulled it over my bucks, then sucked all the air out vacum forming the plastic around the shape.
[img width=365height=650]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/583703118966161414/890134869244514364/20210826_175410.jpg[/img]

A great pull, clean lines. Unfortunately the arrows on the front didn't come out very crisp. I didn't have high hopes, but it's still a bit disappointing. Still learning the limits of what I can accomplish with 1/8 inch plastic. I intentionally did this one pull before I fixed all the voids in the buck, since I knew they would turn out as dents in the brow ridge, which would make for cool weathering. I won't turn down easy 3D weathering. On all future helmets there will be no such defects, since every helmet would have the exact same dents and that's kinda lame. Mine gets to be special.

Next step is to cut it free from the flat sheet it was formed from. The bucks are taller than needed so we have some extra material to use to glue the two halves together.

Then it gets glued with a strip of plastic on the inside, I messed up my alignment so even if I wanted to cut out the triangles and make them nice and defined details, they would really highlight my mistake. I didn't have any binder clips at the time, but was too impatient to wait and wanted to glue my helmet together now! I should have waited. Now I get to do more bondo work.

But, I'm pretty decent with bondo.

By the time I'm done you won't be able to tell the helmet was ever crooked. The top of the visor cuttout is still a little wavy and uneven. Next update I'll get that flat and even, and get the earcaps glued on. Maybe even get a layer of primer on so I can find the spots I didn't bondo well enough.

Every time I get to hold something that previously only existed as an idea in my brain I feel like a wizard. It's pure magic. I willed this object into existing, and I am in love with the design. More updates soon.

« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2021, 05:19 AM by Svik Katora » Logged

Druj Jes

• Heavy Weapons,Heavy Assault,Hazardous Environment
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Shock Infantry Brigade Member EnviroOps
Re: Trench Bucket
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2021, 10:48 AM »
Do you plan on selling these?  I love the design

Druj Jes - M.M.C.C. #2302 - B.O.M.B. #105 - M.V.S. #105

jethroskull

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2021, 12:47 PM »
Mmm, thinky jello!

Cool buy'ce!

Svik Katora

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2021, 05:20 PM »
Do you plan on selling these?  I love the design

Yup! I have a few ready to go right now. Same batch as my helmet. Here's our sales thread.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=170297.240

Updates for this helmet is on page 16. It'll be about 100 bucks, less if you get it unassembled, more if you want it finished and ready to paint. Feel free to PM me or Drako if you have any other questions!

Svik Katora

« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2021, 05:02 PM »

Earcap molds worked great, and they fit perfectly on the helmet.

I got the top of the visor straightened out and the first layer of primer on. A few spots that will need some extra sanding, but it's looking really good.

Few spots on the back I didn't go over with 220, so the 120 scratches are still visible. I got a little too used to filler primer taking care of that for me. but it'll be ready for silver in no time.

Can't wait to see this thing with some good weathering.

EricL

• Rhasvuul Zeg
« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2021, 07:28 PM »
I’m loving this bucket. It’s an old school combat helmet fused to a t-visor, pair this with some trauma plates or a post-Imp heavy armor set and it would be really nice. Can’t wait to see the progress!

Svik Katora

« Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2021, 08:01 PM »
Full steam ahead! Weather is great for painting right now, so I'm taking advantage of it.

Glossy black layer to make the silver pop. Had to sand it a bit to get it smooth, the paint came out with a bit of a texture to it.

After the second layer of black it was ready for silver.

Now I just have to figure out exactly what paint scheme I want for this helmet. Part of me wants to make it match my current paint scheme, but as it is it doesn't compliment Fett style plates terribly well. Not sure if this is going to turn into an entire kit. We'll see.

Second Son

• Awards Special Weapons EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2021, 05:12 PM »
The heavy duty protection plus industrial geometric flair really hits a sweet spot.
I think this smexy beast of a helmet deserves it's own heavy duty kit.
I'm seeing a really big gun or massive polearm, mud splatters and carbon scoring all over. Lots of scuffs and dents.

Svik Katora

« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2021, 02:01 AM »
Big update, got the blaster marks and major wear marks done. Going to need to go back and do minor scuffs, but it's looking very good.

And then the white layer.

Thinking I'll make a Post Imperial chest plate set to pair with this. But that will be it's own WIP. Last step will be green details, scuff marks, then blackwash and mud. Visor already fits great, very excited, and very close to being done. You guys got to see this as a pretty condensed process, but I designed this helmet months ago, and now it is nearly complete! Feels good.

« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2021, 01:32 PM »
This is gonna look so sick when it's done, and I think it's gonna go super well with a post-imp armor build, especially since we see some heavy weapons style kits in The Mandalorian. Can't wait to see more!

Svik Katora

« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 2021, 12:07 PM »
I didn't grab good pictures of it, but the face and lower back of the helmet were left the light grey, the rest was painted white, then accented in hunter green.

Step one, put on the rolling stones.
Step two, paint it black.
Step three, frantically try to remove all the black with a wet paper towel.
Repeat.

Then get your trusty sea sponge, splotch on some brown, dab it lightly until it's blended in like so much caked on grime and mud.
And that's basically all there is to weathering. Helmet is going to get a visor and padding today, but I think that's pretty much completed.

Svik Katora

« Reply #11 on: Oct 19, 2021, 07:56 PM »
Padded, visor in place, kicked it around on gravel for about 5 minutes to give it some good scuffs and weathering. Really love how it came out.

It goes on the shelf next to the nightest niteowl and my main Bucket. A place of honor.

« Reply #12 on: Oct 20, 2021, 07:39 AM »
Awesome collection !
(Is that a NCR ranger helmet on the top left ?  :rolleyes: )

Cattriss Wren

• "Vurel verburyc, draar solus"
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2021, 11:14 AM »
Wow :o this looks amazing!!! Your hard work really paid off :like: all the rest of your helmets are awesome looking too!

my armor. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=203296.0

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises"

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!