Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Western vibes... Blastech SAA-45 bulid

• 9 Replies

Juno Karr

• "If You can see me, you´re already dead"
  • Awards 40% increase or more 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 Award for 25 official invasions.
Western vibes... Blastech SAA-45 bulid
« on: Nov 05, 2021, 04:56 AM »
Good morning everyone! It had been a long time since I could work on the build of a weapon (they are my favorites), so at times I am advancing this project. I have decided to name this blaster Blastech SAA-45, since the model I have used as a base is a Colt Single Action Army .45LC, excellently replicated by the Japanese company Tanaka Works. These airsoft replicas today are difficult to obtain and expensive, but 11 years ago, my best friend and I got a couple of them. This is mine, which has been better cared for : P

And my best friend's is the one I'm going to use for this project. To this day, it is still our favorite revolver model, and one of the most aesthetically beautiful. I have not taken photos of the whole process, but comparing with the previous image, it is seen that I have removed the bushing extraction rod, I have cut a large part of the frame, and I have removed the drum and the hammer, which are two very identifiable pieces. I also decided that all the parts that I assembled would be made of aluminum and brass, to maintain the realistic weight, resistance and aesthetics of the base replica. One of the first things I replaced was the drum. The first version was this piece with rectangular shapes, but in the end it did not convince me, because it took away the aesthetics of revolver.

And in the end I replaced it with this other one, more in line with aesthetics, with some recesses to change the shape a bit (similar to Boba's EE-3) and some decorative nuts. I also added a piece to that modified drum in the area where the hammer would rest, as an energy cylinder.

Another of the things that I don't have a photo are the grips (although these are not the ones I will use, these are from a commission). They will be made of some noble wood, such as olive or walnut.

Another of the modifications that I have made has been to texturize the back of the grip, to improve the grip. It is a detail that I also made to my Colt SAA (although less exaggerated) and I like how it looks

Here you can see an exploded view of the blaster, with the parts that made it up in that phase of construction:

Here you can see the parts of the drum and power cylinder in detail, and you can see all the cutout that the frame carries:

Here the details added to the barrel, two rings, made of aluminum and brass to decorate the barrel, and to replace the barrel extraction rod, a couple of pieces in aluminum and brass as well:

Among the things that I continue to do in this project, in addition to making mechanical fixings for a large part of the parts (you should never rely only on chemical fixings 😂) I am making holes in the muzzle of the barrel, adding some parts to fill the hole of the barrel, drum retainer, detailing the power cylinder further and adding a piece in the gap between drum and frame, to fill it up a bit. The pieces will go with a brushed finish, or at most smooth polish, but I don't want them to shine too much. In general, I will keep the original color of the pieces as much as possible, so that they age naturally, which will give it a very nice look (as my Colt SAA has taken over the years). Also maybe do some electrochemical engraving on the barrel rod, something simple, like an inscription in aurebesh.
To finish, I leave some photos of everything provisionally mounted, to see how it looks. I really like the form it is taking, and it is being a very satisfactory build :)

Hope you enjoy it  :)

JarekVekarrIrunel

Re: Western vibes... Blastech SAA-45 bulid
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2021, 09:06 AM »
I am Mir'Shebs'Alor, and I approve this message.... eerrr... prop weapon.  :like:

Rilal Birom

• Digur haar shupur, draar digur haar bajur.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2021, 08:14 PM »
This prop is truly a thing of beauty!

Cabur Akaata #217     Vode Be Vhekad #22     House Nelvaan #7    

Post-Imp WIP

Facebook
Instagram

Erio J'uni

• Trust me. All you are to me is a paycheck!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 75 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2021, 09:20 PM »
I dig it!  I dig it a lot!

MMCC #899 | B.O.M.B. #1 - The Bomb'alor | M.A.J.I.C. #132 | K.O.M.S. #17 | B.O.O.M. #11 | The IT-Mando Society #11 | Grey Brigade #59

Juno Karr

• Awards 40% increase or more 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2021, 04:41 AM »
Hi! First of all, thank you very much for the welcome :) I've been able to advance a bit more on the blaster, so I update a bit around here. The first thing has been to make these three pieces. With an aluminum heatsink for some electronic component (it was in my scrap box 😂) I have made a couple of pieces to reduce the gap between drum and frame, I think it integrates quite well

Also in addition to the heatsinks, I have cut a piece of aluminum to fill a hole in the frame (where part of the striker system was)

And I have polished a small brass cylinder that I had, to cover another hole in the frame (it was the spring of the bushing ejection window)

So once those three pieces were assembled, I managed to fill those gaps in the most aesthetic way possible ...

And reduce the bottom gap, which was something I wanted to fix :p

Another job I have done has been to machine some grooves in the energy cylinder:

And install it in its place, after a session of sanding and polishing, to remove the machining lines since it was a piece made around a lathe during an internship.

Together with the power cylinder, I have installed in the drum the ejection window (riveted and glued), and the nuts of both recesses (screwed and glued). I have also glued a small carbon fiber disc to cover the hole in the rear area of ​​the power cylinder, where the screw that connects it to the drum is housed. It is a detail that I will surely change, since I have obtained some pieces of brass that can be better to fill that gap. I am going to try to upload a penultimate batch of photos, since the revolver is practically finished (in the absence of some wooden handles and some last details)  ;)

Rilal Birom

« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2021, 10:28 AM »
You are doing an amazing job and this prop is as artful as it is impressive!

Post-Imp WIP

Facebook
Instagram

Juno Karr

« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2021, 08:59 AM »
 Hello again!! Things have progressed very fast and I have barely had time to take photos of the processes, but this build has very little left! I have been working on the barrel, both in its union with the frame and with the muzzle. Here you can see how the barrel rod has been assembled, with a piece of brass as a trim and to hide the connecting rivet:

In the muzzle I have opened two rectangular holes, and I have added some pieces of brass and stainless steel inside. I really like those kinds of subtle details, but they make a difference ...

In turn, they serve to make the muzzle itself look more complete:

Here the work of the union of the barrel and the frame is seen in greater detail. I have assembled a piece of brass to hide a defect in the frame, screws to hide holes from the old drum locking mechanism and some pieces to embellish the drum nut:

And on the other side a piece of brass has also been installed to cover the hole of the old drum locking mechanism:

And finally I leave two images of the current state of the blaster, with the government-type grips that were mounted on the standard revolver :)

The only thing left to do is make some beautiful wood grips and some last details to see this beauty completely finished !! :)

Two_Bears_HF

• Trantor Kies
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2021, 10:50 AM »
This looks phenomenal!

Canada Atlantic Stronghold OM #2930
Traffic Cone Brigade society member #49
Gunning for Privateer and Gunslinger

Rilal Birom

« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2021, 08:08 PM »
This is some serious craftsmanship!  I'm in awe of your skills!

Post-Imp WIP

Facebook
Instagram

Cattriss Wren

• "Vurel verburyc, draar solus"
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2021, 07:06 AM »
Vode, like wow :o that is amazing!!! I really hope I'm this skilled too one day.  :D

my armor. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=203296.0

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises"

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!