Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

New blade concept

• 6 Replies
New blade concept
« on: Dec 23, 2021, 06:30 PM »
Hello all,
So I've been intrigued with the idea of making my own mando style blade to go with my cosplay. After a few hours drawing on my tablet, I came up with a design I like. I feel like it still needs a little something extra to make it look more swarzy. What do you guys think? Any ideas or suggestions to improve?

« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2021, 01:18 AM by andydeleon87 » Logged
Re: New blade concept
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2021, 07:47 AM »
Personally, I think it looks fine as is. It makes me think of a multi use fighting knife that would be heavy duty enough to be used as a pry bar if need be. If you really want to jazz it up, put a hood and some greebles near the hilt to make it a vibro knife. Good luck.

« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2021, 02:08 PM »
Just for grins, I made this. A first prototype. The blade is pretty hefty, so it could be used as a prybar. I have been playing around with different options for the serrated part. it was a fun project to work on when I couldn't sleep. I'm going to rework the handle, but use this one for one of my other blades. What do you think?

Second Son

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2021, 03:07 PM »
It's like a knife and a chisel had a dangerous, awesome baby. I like it.

« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2021, 10:49 PM »
It's like a knife and a chisel had a dangerous, awesome baby. I like it.

Thanks. I kept playing around with it to give it a little bit of a point. Still toying around with a serrated version.

Going to rework the handle a little. Should have a new prototype in the morning.

*Edit: Didn't want to double post within 24 hours. Printed the new version. Blade thinner. Handle shorter and rounded a little. Different hilt guard. THis prints in two pieces.

« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2021, 03:48 PM by PSessum » Logged
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2021, 08:51 PM »
Cool! Its neat to see a similar design to mine in actual printed form. I was originally going to make mine out of sintra, but l decided to pull the trigger on a 3d printer soon so I think I'll wait. What program did you use to design the file?

« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2021, 10:25 PM »
Cool! Its neat to see a similar design to mine in actual printed form. I was originally going to make mine out of sintra, but l decided to pull the trigger on a 3d printer soon so I think I'll wait. What program did you use to design the file?

I used a combination of blender and 3d builder. There are some good online tutorials on how to use blender, especially for knives. I know some people use Fusion 360, but I am not that adept at these things and am only making simple props right now.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!