Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Book of Boba Boba Fett WIP

• 28 Replies

ishtob

• Aluminati
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
Book of Boba Boba Fett WIP
« on: Jan 12, 2022, 12:36 PM »
Decided that I will try for a canon character for my second kit, as well as doing it all in aluminum if possible (except the jet pack, no way am I carrying that around with me at a con comfortably)

Starting this WIP to document my process as well as getting some help with accuracy from you all.

Good thing I kept the templates from my modern kit, so I can skip a good chunk of the sizing and get going with modifying the armor to BOBF.

my template:

going to have to modify the top of the plates so it is straight instead of a curve, collar plate will have to be redone as well. The upper tab for the BOBF armor is taller than the modern template, side fangs are different as well. I will take a screen cap later on and get the actual proportions down and scale it to my body shape. Good news here is I am about the same build as Morrison, so there shouldn't be too much changes needed to make it all fit.

The biggest challenges I see for this build are going to be the helmet and gauntlet. Metal helmet is just stupid difficult to do without the proper tool, and the gauntlet from BOBF has been updated to have a lot of detailing and panel lines. I plan on doing a salt or acid etch to get those details in.

Here's the start:
This is 0.09in 5052 aluminum. Luckily I had thisa left over sheet from my last kit. Aluminum prices has doubled since 2020.

Traced out and cut the helmet dome halves. I will be dishing these over the next week or two until I get the right shape. Plan is to rivet them together with a strip of aluminum under the seam then braze the gap and sand smooth.

I do not own any heavy duty power tools, but this pair of tin snips had cut out 2 kits at this point, and it had served me well.

I cut about 1/2 inch at a time and reposition in between so I can get a nice clean line cut. The first cut is done about 1/2 inch away from my actual traced shape, I can get better control over the cut with less material on the outside.

A second pass of cutting is done at the traced line. With just 1/2in of material  on the outside makes it much easier to trim and turn.

After the shapes are cut, I draw a grid with sharpie on the sheet. I also used a tungsten drill bit to engrace 2 little arrows indicating the side and direction of the sheets (little arrows o nthe top of the sheet here.)

The grid is done to help with the annealing, but before we get to that, I took a rotary grinder anddeburred both pieces.

Next, I take the torch and slowly pass it over the grid until they disappear. Sharpie burns off at about 500F, aluminum anneals at about 570F, I used the grid as a visual indicator on whether the correct temperature has been reached.

The pieces were left on its own to air cool, this can't be rushed or the annealing will be messed up.

I drew in fresh lines at 1 inch increments to help guide my hammer strikes. This is the part that takes hours. I basically follow the lines and make firm strikes with a tear drop hammer  over a dishing stump. This will slowly dish the half into a dome.
Here it is after the 1st pass

I got about 4-5 passes in before calling it a night. This took about 30 minutes, and I'd say the dome is only about 1/2 of the way to the rough shape is needs to be in.

I will post up more updates as I make more progress

I need some help locating screencaps of the back plate and the new jet pack mounting system.

« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2022, 08:46 PM by ishtob » Logged
Zark Lyall - OM #2494 - Firaxan Clan | Kit WIP   Kit 2 WIP  Metal Helmet WIP    Metal BoBF Boba WIP

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
Re: Book of Boba Boba Fett WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2022, 12:44 PM »
It can be done, but a lot of modifications will have to be made in order to make it passable for Canon.

Very curious to see how you will approach this.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

ishtob

• Aluminati
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2022, 02:50 PM »
planning on making it all from scratch, im holding off on the gauntlet until we can get more screencaps.

Zark Lyall - OM #2494 - Firaxan Clan | Kit WIP   Kit 2 WIP  Metal Helmet WIP    Metal BoBF Boba WIP

ishtob

• Aluminati
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2022, 10:08 AM »
more progress on the done. Got most of the bumps and stuff planishsed.

JJ industry and machinecrafts are making a screen-used/accurate version of the ear caps. I think I am going to jump on that whenever it becomes available. Until then, I've contacted them on getting the dimensions before I draft up the faceplates.

Soft parts.

I did a lot of research to try to find fabric that matches and are yet comfortable to wear.

Vest appears to be duck canvas? I got some 7oz lightweight canvas that has similar weave patters. Ive also got some medium weight batting so I can do the ribbed detailing on the exterior shoulders. The Top sleeve looks like it can be either twill or canvas, I may stick to twill since it will be more comfortable to wear.

amazon 7oz black duck canvas

The long sleeve and belly section of the shift looks like it has square weave patterns. This is pretty common for ripstop fabric used by military as well as hiking gears.

cotton/poly 50/50 blend ripstop

During the dressing scene, there was also a black panel of fabric that I am assuming to be some stretchy, breathable active wear fabric

poly/spandex "super stretch" fabric

For the neck scarf thing, I'm not 100% decided yet. Found a wrikle modal fabric that may work, but I feel the texture might still be off:

Pants appears to be some sort of twill. and belt is made of a leather backed stack of static climbing ropes
4K screencap:

static rope:

cotton stretch twill from mood fabrics that looks the part:

Ive started tackling the most chanllenging piece for me, as I am pretty ameuter when it comes to sewing. Pants.

I am undecided on whether to use black or grey threads for the top stitching. Some screenshots it looks dark grey, others just black. Going to use gray for now, dye it drarker if needed later on. It definately looks too light as is.

Paneling

knee pads are just double layered twill with cotton quilt batting sandwitched. top stitched to form the patterns

This took about 5 hours to complete, ive also added a zip fly to make doing business easier.

I am still missing the hook/clasp for the waist, and I plan to sew on a couble tabs with velcro to tighten up the waist more as needed

I may redo the pouch. I measured it based on Temura's gloved hands, but I think I am built a bit skinnier, making that pouch looks extra large.

I did not try as hard to make the back perfect, there is going to be fabric draped over the backside anyways.

« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2022, 08:54 PM by ishtob » Logged

Rayne

• Dralshy’a Tome (Stronger Together)
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Brigades Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2022, 07:49 PM »
Hello! I think you’re on the right path.

I’m not sure that the pinstripe fabric matches the references. Pinstripes are wider apart than the “striping” in the references. 

Do you have photo references you’re using to pattern the pants?

Tra'cor Clan // MMCC#1968
Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

ishtob

• Aluminati
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2022, 08:31 PM »
im actually going to redo the topstitching in black. I was working off the magazine shoot, but i think the studio lights washed out the black threads and appears greyish. I've also took this opportunity to redo the thigh pouch, scaled it to my leg and did it with black topstitching. (ignore the grey one in this picture, i havent finished this pants leg yet.

I’m not sure that the pinstripe fabric matches the references. Pinstripes are wider apart than the “striping” in the references. 

Sorry I was momentarily confused, the fabric is not a pinstripe, they are a grid about 5-8 mm. You can see in some of the higher res photo that there are the same pattern on the belly and the sleeves

here's a better shot of the fabric i chose from the site they sell it on:

and side-by side/zoomed

Do you have photo references you’re using to pattern the pants?

pants pattern was based off of the media photoshot for the magazines:

« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2022, 08:45 PM by ishtob » Logged

ishtob

• Aluminati
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2022, 01:12 PM »
Re did the top stitching with a darker grey, I think it looks a lot closer to the reference photo eow

base of the pants pattern is a pair of slim joggers that fits me well, figured less bunching when I put on knees and half chaps. Ichose to not usm the standard elastics waistband but went with more of a formal slacks waistband, so it should sit flatter and before comfortable when I get the restkof the waist it's on.

Rayne

• Dralshy’a Tome (Stronger Together)
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Brigades Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2022, 09:45 AM »
I agree. The darker topstitching definitely looks better

Tra'cor Clan // MMCC#1968
Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

ishtob

• Aluminati
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2022, 10:33 AM »
More soft part update

I did the best I can based on the screen caps

I replicated the panels you see on the underarm and mid-bicept seen here:

The "short sleeve" seems to match the vest material, which I have matched to a 7oz black duck canvas. Sleeves looks like cotton/poly ripstop to me still. You can see the color difference between the long sleeve and shrot sleeve here:

Here's a close-up of my fabric vs screencaps (mine is on top)

better close up shot of my fabric:

The product:

vest:
This is as far as I am going to go for now. Waiting on the backplate to determine the rest of the attchment points before moving forward.

This is the best image I can find, and it looks like there are some velcro tabs/straps that comes from the vest and are secured directly onto the backplate.

I know the forarm area seems to have some straps and velcro, but im still attempting to determine if these are a seperate strap or sewed on. either way, its not visible when armored up.

One addition I prob will make is this little tab to secrure the pants to the shirt, this will ensure the pants fly cover lines up with the faux button cover of the shirt lower.

edit:
for the scarf:
refence sceencap:

raw silk came in, i'm a little disapointed, the raw silk threads seems farm thinner than in the picture then vendor took. Im prob going to make an infinity scarf with it anyways since its super soft. but i'm not sure if this will do in terms of matching the reference materials

Still not sure if this is correct, another close fabric i can find for kama and scarf:

I've been told to look at wool or linen as well...  any ideas?

« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2022, 10:39 PM by ishtob » Logged

Calobane

• Lead by example MMCC #1221
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2022, 11:53 AM »
Just absolutely amazing.  I was thinking about doing this type of Boba Fett as well. I’m not a very good in the sewing area and was wondering if you had looked at crow props’ version of the shirt , pants, and boots and what are your thoughts?

Mando Pirate

ishtob

• Aluminati
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2022, 02:01 AM »
I also saw the croprops softparts. At first glance it looks great. But it it was me, I'd wait a bit longer if you want absolute screen-accuracy. And in my humble opinion, if I were to spend that much on soft parts, I'd want it as close to screen-accurate as possible.

Here'd my observations after closer inspection:
- the shirt's lower half has the patterns are oriented wrong, the ripstop fabric is used with the squares arranged diagonally (functionally giving it more stretch, making it fit better around the midsection). cp here has it across horizontally. This may be to save on amount of fabric used, but to me, still a miss.
- thes torso panels are not of same proportion to the screen used costume, the cp mesh/stretch panel runs up too high

- also missing the stetch panels under the armpit:

- back of sleeve has 2 decorative lines, in the show I've only seen 1
- upper sleeve is of the wrong fabric. in the show, they matched upper sleeve to the duck canvas of the vest, not the ripstop fabric of the shirt and lower sleeves

vs crowprop:

-missind the flat felled seam on the forearm/lower sleeve

- pants padding has 1 too many ribbing, show's promo photo has 6, cp pants has 7, and just dosent look like the right shape to me.

- pants fabric dosen't look right, close-ups of the pants shows a twill pattern. cp looks like a smooth fabric without the texture.

- missing the top stitching around the zipper fly
- no buttons on the pants in the show, and there'd a velcro tap connecting the pants to the shirt to ensure alignment (i don't have it either, but planning on adding it soon)

- the belt is just all wrong, i won't even list it all.

as for the boots and gloves, I am actually ordering them. The gloves looks gread, the boot's top rope thing I will be ripping out and replacing with the real climbing static rope used in the show.

EDIT: I want to add that I am not trying to knock crowprops at all here, just outlining issues I see with their current rendition of the soft parts. I love Gio and his works and own quite a few of his past products.

« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2022, 12:00 PM by ishtob » Logged

Mi'ix

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2022, 09:35 AM »
I believe you are correct to wait on soft parts until we've had more time to study them.  Realisitically speaking we won't release a CRL for BoBF Boba Fett until WELL after the show finishes, mainly so we can make sure we're providing a comprehensive accurate CRL.

Looks like the upper sleeves of the "flightsuit" are attached to the vest, in addition to the ribbed wings we see on traditional style flak vests.  So, with that knowledge alone, in addition to what ishtob has mentioned, I would wait.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

ishtob

• Aluminati
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2022, 11:54 AM »
Gio actually contacted me, and I provided him with the screenshots above. he said he will work with his seamstress to have it accurate.

Looks like the upper sleeves of the "flightsuit" are attached to the vest, in addition to the ribbed wings we see on traditional style flak vests.  So, with that knowledge alone, in addition to what ishtob has mentioned, I would wait.

from what I've seen in the screencaps, the above vest is only used for when his armor is on display, the actual suit worn on screen have the sleeve attached to the shirt ( this can be seen during the kit up sequence, also part of the ep1 fight scenes when he was on the ground)

a bit hard to see, but you can see a bit of the flightsuit shirt fabric pulled up by the sleeve right at the back shoulder

« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2022, 11:58 AM by ishtob » Logged

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2022, 02:44 PM »
Commenting to follow your build.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 84
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

ishtob

• Aluminati
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2022, 12:24 AM »
thanks and welcome!

I've got a question for the brigade members here:

What would you do if the screen used prop is a facsimile of a real object due to cost or weight constraint, do we also need to make it match the facsimile, or can we use the original real object it is trying to mimic?

specific case here is the belt. The "ropes" are actually a printed fabric with round foam piping rewed in. It is obviously trying to emulate a double braided dock line/nylon rope.

Personally, I think the real object will look better in person, where people can get up close. It will not be apparent in pictures either way, since the decision for the official costume prob also justify that the facsimile will not be visible in the resolution they are shooting.

I've already asked around and so far got 1 vote for the printed fabric

Mi'ix

« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2022, 06:14 AM »
Probably better off asking the Brigade staff, rather than the members since we'll be the ones to assess your kit.

If you're going for Brigade approval, you should opt for as close to screen accurate as possible, barring that, replicas or as close to screen used is your best bet.

The base CRL will allow "good enough", so basically the black roping, but the BRL details might mention weave or number of ropes.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

ishtob

• Aluminati
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2022, 11:26 PM »
some more updates.

weapons:
Pistol is fresh off the printer, only got a good 45min of sanding done so far (sanded unreachable areas after assembly first so i can glue it all together.)

This was how much filament was left at the end of the print  :P I like living life on the edge

still got ton of sanding and filling to do.

helmet:
Dome took another 4 hours to planish out completely by hand.
Left side here has 2 more hours of work than the right side.

basically hitting the dome lightly with a flat, polished hammer against a rounded stake. and whap happens is that any high spots gets knocked down by the hammer, and low spots pushed out by the stake. I use a polished railroad stake that was welded to a small railroad track anvil. This costs about $50

my $30 second hand planishing hammer

I will be sanding the remainder of the hammered texture out.

First attempt to do the dent didnt go well

the location of the dent is too far right

but this is the beauty of working with metal. A little bit of fire and some hammering later:

new dent:

next I punch out holes and use a scrap strip or aluminum to rivet the halves together:

Dome halves are then soldered/brazed to fill the gap

I used my current kit's faceplate height as template and used it as the base of the ratio vs the screen cap:

I ended up making a few more adjustments from the screencap above, since it is a rounded object and paralax messes with exact mesurements.

snip snip snip. man cutting a 0.09inch aluminum is not for the feight of heart (and weak of hand?)

here it is rough trimmed out.
I wanted some input from you guys before I do the final trim, any issues looking at this so far?

soft parts update:

the real belt material is here (i also ordered the printed pattern one for the screen used fabric faux rope.) I plan to do a side-by side comparison once its here and decide which way to do then.

For the scarf, I ended up with multiple fabrics, but still unahappy with the texture vs the screen used scarf. Here'd what they are:
1. 10oz heavy flax linen from Lithuania
2. Black Tassah Raw Silk
3. Raw Silk Noil
4. Lyocell Black Ghost Wrinkly Woven Fabric

Closest match are the first 2 in my opinion. The linen texture also looks right for the kama if I double it up.

screen caps:

the kama's got quite a bit a volume, and with the first screen cap above, leads me to believe they layered the material (I see 2 layer?)
mock up with my 10oz linen:

EDIT:

I guess my questions for the group is kinda buried, so here they are again:

Helmet:
Faceplate is rough trimmed , but I wanted some input from you guys before I do the final trim, any issues looking at this so far?

Scarf:
For the scarf, I ended up with multiple fabrics, but still unahappy with the texture vs the screen used scarf. Here'd what they are:
1. 10oz heavy flax linen from Lithuania
2. Black Tassah Raw Silk
3. Raw Silk Noil
4. Lyocell Black Ghost Wrinkly Woven Fabric

what do you guys think? and if you have suggestions for better fabrics, please let me know

« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2022, 11:47 PM by ishtob » Logged

Ru'Stor Rawr

• Mjölnir
  • Awards Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Airmobile brigade member Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2022, 09:51 PM »
Probably better off asking the Brigade staff, rather than the members since we'll be the ones to assess your kit.

If you're going for Brigade approval, you should opt for as close to screen accurate as possible, barring that, replicas or as close to screen used is your best bet.

The base CRL will allow "good enough", so basically the black roping, but the BRL details might mention weave or number of ropes.

As close to screen accurate is the best route, most of the time in my experience, canon builds based on the CRLs end wanting to go further, going as accurate as possible will take a bit longer but in the save you time and money all while having the best possible kit. this goes for ll aspects of the build.

Mi'ix

« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2022, 09:56 PM »
I think Rayne, Ru'Stor, and myself are very impressed with your soft parts so far, but with the face of the helmet laid out flat like that, it's hard to tell exactly how that will look compared to the show.

The dent will need more though. Needs to be deeper and have the appropriate ridges and details, rather than just a "dent", if that makes sense.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

ishtob

• Aluminati
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2022, 10:04 PM »
I think Rayne, Ru'Stor, and myself are very impressed with your soft parts so far, but with the face of the helmet laid out flat like that, it's hard to tell exactly how that will look compared to the show.

The dent will need more though. Needs to be deeper and have the appropriate ridges and details, rather than just a "dent", if that makes sense.

yup fully aware the dent is missing all the details boba's dent has. I plan on sculping that after the fact since the thickness of the metal and the lack of real tools, I am unable to make those defined ridges. I will most likely bondo or putty over the dent then sculpt out the details with a fine dremel head.

EDIT:
i went back and shaped the dent some more:

yea.. this dent it not how metal behaves, and the sheed metal I'm using is too thick to form some of the finer details.

« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2022, 01:25 PM by ishtob » Logged
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2022, 01:54 PM »
Commenting to follow and take notes. Planning to do this build also.

ishtob

• Aluminati
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2022, 05:56 PM »
I found this basket weave natural linen that has the right texture? (i think?) But I will have to dye it myself..... :-[ ....... i heard black is not easy to do well

I’ve also done additional shaping to the dent, i think it may need to a tad bit deeper still as well as maybe another 2-3mm taller

« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2022, 10:11 AM by ishtob » Logged

Mi'ix

« Reply #22 on: Feb 13, 2022, 11:47 AM »
I agree the dent needs more work. You'll also need to make the lines where the dent meets the surface of the helmet dome sharper to get the look right.

The texture looks good and with that, I assume being a natural fabric, it should take the dye well, provided you leave the fabric in your mix long enough and set the color so it doesn't wash out.

As a point of interest, the CRL Team has been talking about fabrics this week. A loose woven gauze may also be something to look into.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

ishtob

• Aluminati
« Reply #23 on: Feb 13, 2022, 02:33 PM »
that’s really good tip on the dent, i’ll try to follow the border and raise it a bit from the back side once i get the shape right, that should create a more defined border. I’m prob going to start having dreams of this dent, basically at it for about an hour each night, trying to refine the shape  ???

For the scarf, i actually found a thick hand woven raw silk fabric from madagascar that matches the texture

i didn’t look into gauze since the frayed end tends to become a fuzzy tuff instead of the stringy ends we see on the screen, this led me to look for silk as it has a tendency to stay as a thread it was woven with even after fraying.

EDIT:
scarf arrived and i think this is the one:

and this is the fraying pattern I mentioned above, each strand is staying in the individual threads since silk basically pure strands of protein and they stick together

also have a small minor update on the helmet, i got the faceplate shaped mostly, still need to cut out the checks and shape those.

it is looking maybe 30mm too long on the bottom, and the fangs needs to be narrower.

« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2022, 05:38 PM by ishtob » Logged

Ru'Stor Rawr

• Mjölnir
  • Awards Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Airmobile brigade member Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #24 on: Feb 18, 2022, 07:12 PM »
Nice find with the fabric, My biggest concern here is the width of the helmet, it looks narrow compared to the screen used, not sure how you would be able to correct that.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!