Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Book of Boba Boba Fett WIP

• 2 Replies

ishtob

Book of Boba Boba Fett WIP
« on: Jan 12, 2022, 12:36 PM »
Decided that I will try for a canon character for my second kit, as well as doing it all in aluminum if possible (except the jet pack, no way am I carrying that around with me at a con comfortably)

Starting this WIP to document my process as well as getting some help with accuracy from you all.

Good thing I kept the templates from my modern kit, so I can skip a good chunk of the sizing and get going with modifying the armor to BOBF.

my template:

going to have to modify the top of the plates so it is straight instead of a curve, collar plate will have to be redone as well. The upper tab for the BOBF armor is taller than the modern template, side fangs are different as well. I will take a screen cap later on and get the actual proportions down and scale it to my body shape. Good news here is I am about the same build as Morrison, so there shouldn't be too much changes needed to make it all fit.

The biggest challenges I see for this build are going to be the helmet and gauntlet. Metal helmet is just stupid difficult to do without the proper tool, and the gauntlet from BOBF has been updated to have a lot of detailing and panel lines. I plan on doing a salt or acid etch to get those details in.

Here's the start:
This is 0.09in 5052 aluminum. Luckily I had thisa left over sheet from my last kit. Aluminum prices has doubled since 2020.

Traced out and cut the helmet dome halves. I will be dishing these over the next week or two until I get the right shape. Plan is to rivet them together with a strip of aluminum under the seam then braze the gap and sand smooth.

I do not own any heavy duty power tools, but this pair of tin snips had cut out 2 kits at this point, and it had served me well.

I cut about 1/2 inch at a time and reposition in between so I can get a nice clean line cut. The first cut is done about 1/2 inch away from my actual traced shape, I can get better control over the cut with less material on the outside.

A second pass of cutting is done at the traced line. With just 1/2in of material  on the outside makes it much easier to trim and turn.

After the shapes are cut, I draw a grid with sharpie on the sheet. I also used a tungsten drill bit to engrace 2 little arrows indicating the side and direction of the sheets (little arrows o nthe top of the sheet here.)

The grid is done to help with the annealing, but before we get to that, I took a rotary grinder anddeburred both pieces.

Next, I take the torch and slowly pass it over the grid until they disappear. Sharpie burns off at about 500F, aluminum anneals at about 570F, I used the grid as a visual indicator on whether the correct temperature has been reached.

The pieces were left on its own to air cool, this can't be rushed or the annealing will be messed up.

I drew in fresh lines at 1 inch increments to help guide my hammer strikes. This is the part that takes hours. I basically follow the lines and make firm strikes with a tear drop hammer  over a dishing stump. This will slowly dish the half into a dome.
Here it is after the 1st pass

I got about 4-5 passes in before calling it a night. This took about 30 minutes, and I'd say the dome is only about 1/2 of the way to the rough shape is needs to be in.

I will post up more updates as I make more progress

I need some help locating screencaps of the back plate and the new jet pack mounting system.

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 50 official invasions. Boba and Jango Celebration Orlando 2017 Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
Re: Book of Boba Boba Fett WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2022, 12:44 PM »
It can be done, but a lot of modifications will have to be made in order to make it passable for Canon.

Very curious to see how you will approach this.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

ishtob

Re: Book of Boba Boba Fett WIP
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2022, 02:50 PM »
planning on making it all from scratch, im holding off on the gauntlet until we can get more screencaps.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!