Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Advice wanted! Please help! Glossy coat -> wet sanding?

• 3 Replies
Hello y’all!

New to the group and first time printer/builder!
I’m in the process of making two buckets right now, Im nervous to finish the first one so I started making a second one cause I got the beginning stages down.

Could use advice I sanded and wood filler a bunch. Sanding was 220,300,400,800,1000 wet sand 2000&3000
I have put on two layers of gloss black and wet sanded at 2000&3000 in between coats. Plan on doing one more coat of gloss.

SHOULD I WET SAND AFTER MY LAST COAT OF GLOSSY BLACK PAINT BEFORE I AIRBRUSH CHROME ON TOP??

« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2022, 03:15 PM by KamiSon009 » Logged

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
Re: Advice wanted! Glossy coat -> wet sanding?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2022, 03:08 PM »
No. You’ll remove the gloss; you need the gloss to get the reflective metal look when you apply the chrome.

Re: Advice wanted! Please help! Glossy coat -> wet sanding?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2022, 03:17 PM »
Thanks! So that means I have to have a near perfect gloss finish?
no runs or bumpy gloss for the finale huh... ?

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
Re: Advice wanted! Please help! Glossy coat -> wet sanding?
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2022, 03:33 PM »
Thanks! So that means I have to have a near perfect gloss finish?
no runs or bumpy gloss for the finale huh... ?

Absolutely. The smoother and more glossy the finish, the more mirrored the final chrome coat will turn out. Any bumps or drips will only be more obvious once the chrome finish is applied. Some people go for a more “brushed metal” appearance instead of a mirrored one, so how glossy you want is up to you. Based upon your photos, the gloss you have currently should give you a real nice result similar to Din Djarin’s helmet.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!