Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Season 3 / Beginning of Season 4 Sabine Wren Action Gear WIP

• 11 Replies

dbickel

• MMCC ID #1388
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40% increase or more 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
Howdie all,

I have been working on this costume for a few years with my daughter wearing it competing in the Star Wars Celebration Costume Contest. Some pictures of her in the costume at Celebration are below.

We do have the jetpack completed and it was worn at the competition...but it is an optional item and not required. Here is a picture of the finished jetpack though.

I know there are several things that need changed to meet the CRL I will list the pieces that should be okay first followed by items that need correcting

All armor shown from here forward is ABS vacuformed armor

Right breast piece armor closeup

Left breast piece armor closeup

(I included two photos of this one due to the detail involved)

Center chest piece

Left collar armor

Right collar armor

Left shoulder armor

Right shoulder armor

Elbow armor pieces

Note one of the armor sets was updated paint wise when I had better reference materials to this...the elbow shots were hard to get good pictures for.

Knee left

Knee right

Westar 1

Westar 2

Left shin and ankle armor

Right shin and ankle armor

Helmet
I need to change the viewfinder to black on the rangefinder and the stalk has been upgraded to an aluminum stalk since these photos were taken.

Hand armor pieces

I will provide upclose photos of the leg flares if required but there are 18 flares per leg.

We have upgraded the belts and holster to real leather now. the belt buckles are real metal as well. I will include photos of the belts in another post.

I will supply pictures of the boots in another post, but the boots we bought were suggested by an approved Sabine Wren in MMCC and Rebel Legion.

I will supply photos of the gloves in another post but you can see them in the gauntlet photo below.

Issues....
The two gauntlets are made based on the April Stormprops STL design slightly modified to be more accurate on the flamethrower attachment and lathed metal spikes (plastic ones kept breaking).

Here is a picture of the gauntlets as is currently

I need to add the gold detailed design on the sides...something I have been incredibly nervous about. The LED lights all light up the correct colors but are non-functional.

Other things I need to do
I need to add the grey under arm strip on both arms.

Rayne

• Dralshy’a Tome (Stronger Together)
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Brigades Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
Re: Season 3 / Beginning of Season 4 Sabine Wren Action Gear WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2022, 07:29 PM »
Welcome!
Is your daughter planning to apply for official membership or would she qualify as a Verdika Corp for under 18 members?

Tra'cor Clan // MMCC#1968
Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

dbickel

• MMCC ID #1388
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40% increase or more 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2022, 11:37 PM »
Welcome!
Is your daughter planning to apply for official membership or would she qualify as a Verdika Corp for under 18 members?

I have spoken with my clan Ruus'alor Orikad and he spoke of an OM Trainee program and that I would need to fill out her application. Prior to that he suggested a WIP thread for review by the App team. He said a WIP thread with lots of pictures for the finishing process which helps the app team get through it quick and easy. I'm an old fossil here and the OM Trainee info isn't easy to access for grunts like myself here. She's been functioning as a Veradika for 3 years now attending events in costume with me...I just never wanted to submit her costume to the trainee program until she filled out a little more. Heck I don't even know if Veradika is a thing anymore with the constitution changes.

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2022, 01:10 PM »
Yeah, we were aiming for Trainee OM status, rather then Verd'ika Corps.  The plan is to get all the little details done, then put her through regional pre-app to catch the stuff that Don and I miss.  We both want her to have the best and easiest path to OM that we can make. :)

One thing I just noticed is that the westars are a little... rough looking.  We may need to smooth them down and repaint.

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2022, 08:00 PM »
It would probably be best to have her take application style pictures in the costume so we can give our best assessment of where things stand from a fit standpoint.

I do see some floating plates, but she's posing so that throws a the plates all out of whack.

Rayne and I will have to look at the plates, but I'm thinking some color adjustment will be needed.

Blasters definitely need a once over to be smoother.

Lines could be more crisp on the helmet too.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

dbickel

• MMCC ID #1388
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2022, 10:09 AM »
The helmet is a unique challenge for this costume as some lines are abstract and purposely not defined. detailing which lines are incorrect as seen would be most helpful.

Coloration for this costume is also difficult. The scenes I used for colors were from Season 4 episodes 1 and 2 as those were done "outside" under "natural" lighting. Most season 3 images are shown under artificial or weird lighting. I have about 100 screenshots I built the costume from using acrylic color wheels to best match paints.

dbickel

• MMCC ID #1388
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2022, 11:12 PM »
Prior to painting the armor one of the largest difficulties I had was finding accurate images to go off of for the painting.. Detail of the armor changed from image to image depending on how zoomed in on a part (and in focus) it was. The reference library I compiled of screen captured images I took is linked below. There are 77 total images I captured in this album for various costume part information. They are all high resolution images which can be seen in detail.

Sabine Reference Images

Two areas which I struggled for in focused, accurate images was the shin/ankle armor (in focus up close) and 360 views of the detail of the Deathwatch gauntlets. The detail on the gauntlets changed the closer it got, so I got some areas I am confident on, others not so much.

While the costume was originally diesigned for beginning of Season 4, Episodes 1 and 2....I used some Season 3 images for reference. This image below was the best pure side on straight frame of the left shoulder owl that I literally scaled and traced onto the shoulders for painting purposes. I captured this image mayself.

I even have an image focused of the helmet gasket not included in the CRL as optional atm. For comfort reasons I did not attach one to this helmet.

Some of the released disney images promoting the show are flat out wrong versus what was actually in the scenes.
Promo shot...

Screen reference shot from Season 4 Episode 1

weathering between both those photos are very subtly different on all the armor parts. When in doubt I went off of actual screenshots.

« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2022, 11:23 PM by dbickel » Logged

dbickel

• MMCC ID #1388
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2022, 10:07 AM »
With animated images colors are hard to guage. Here is the CRL requirements for the costume including the colors. http://mandalorianmercs.org/sabine-wren-rebels-s4-action-gear-crl/

I'm pretty sure you linked the wrong CRL

Mi'ix

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2022, 10:46 AM »
http://mandalorianmercs.org/sabine-wren-action-gear-rebels-season-3/

That is the CRL you're looking for, Don.

I still think it would be best for you guys to take application style pictures in good lighting, with no poses so we can really get a grasp on the costume.

The up close pictures are great and will help us point you in the right direction, but it would be even better to see the costume as a whole.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

dbickel

• MMCC ID #1388
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2022, 10:59 AM »
http://mandalorianmercs.org/sabine-wren-action-gear-rebels-season-3/

That is the CRL you're looking for, Don.

I still think it would be best for you guys to take application style pictures in good lighting, with no poses so we can really get a grasp on the costume.

The up close pictures are great and will help us point you in the right direction, but it would be even better to see the costume as a whole.

We plan to do that when we get some more of the costume issues fixed identified. Those that went to Celebration 2019 whould be able to identify many of those photos. In 3 years she's gotten taller and filled out so new photos will need to be taken.

Back when I started painting this costume four years ago I made some paint changes to follow the merc CRL requirements. There was the season 3 basic CRL out there, but no "Action gear" CRL which was understandable.

dbickel

• MMCC ID #1388
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2022, 10:59 PM »
Hello all,

Just an update. I planned to work on this at an armor party last weekend but was unable to get to it as I had an uncooperative sewing machine. Updates will be soon as it will be worn at Celebration.

Mi'ix

« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2022, 10:59 PM »
Sounds good, Don.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!