Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Backpack Question

• 15 Replies
Backpack Question
« on: Jan 14, 2010, 07:47 PM »
This is my old backpack I've had for a while now and I was wondering how could I mod it to look more mandalorian? Can I even use it for my costume?

I have a new philosophy. I'm only going to dread one day at a time.

Hiram Fett

• Our enemies are judged by God,we arrange the meeting
Re: Backpack Question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2010, 08:11 PM »
Stencil a Merc skull on it and hang some Wookie braids and kill trophy type stuff from it . May  want to add some Mando writing  or your clan logo .

Those who hammer their blasters into plows will plow for those who did not.

Corran Falco

• Im just gonna stand here and keep being awesome!
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2010, 11:31 AM »
I agree with Hiram, nothing wrong with a "soft" back pack

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2010, 11:52 AM »
Should be fine.

Canderous Falco

• I'm the memer they call when things go wrong.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2010, 01:11 PM »
You could be extra awesome, and go find/make a stnecil with an Old Republic or Imperial Military logo on it, and some Aurobesh writing stating "Property of GAR" (or Imperial Navy, or whatever), and make it out to be some surplus that you acquired.

Then you could weather the paint on it in spots with sand paper to make it look well used ;)

Mar'eyce

• Ma-ray-shay
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2010, 12:28 PM »
It looks like it wouldn't be too difficult to make it look Starwarsy. I don't see any zippers or Earthy logos, and the straps and buckles give it a surplus look. and I agree with what everyone else is saying...Mercs skulls, clan sigils, in-universe writing, trophies. A lot of fun could be had in decorating it up.

« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2010, 01:30 AM »
Yeah the backpack is a WWII German surplus. I really like the idea of putting an Old Republic logo on it kinda like I found it in the deserts of Tatooine.
Since my mando is a Krayt Dragon hunter I'm going to see if I can cover it with "scales" and have a Krayt pearl on it

Canderous Falco

« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2010, 01:37 AM »
WHOA. That is actual third Reich surplus?? Might want to check on collectors value before you go painting it. If its legitimately, in THAT condition, its likely worth quite a bundle. If you can find any markings, pm me, and I'll try to help you out.

« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2010, 01:50 AM »
As far as I know its real. Gramps got this surplus after the war. I have another one thats in a lot worse condition. He wouldnt tell me how he got that one other than he just came across it.

Canderous Falco

« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2010, 02:34 AM »
Probably one heck of a story. I used to tease teenage girls about how I got my first shemagh... No, I didnt get it off a dead body, but their reactions were so funny when I told them that... ahem, anyway... Yeah- you can get a replica pretty cheap usually; just as sturdy, looks the same, costs a LOT less. Might want to keep that one you have for history/sentimental reasons. Something you can give your kids that's a connection to their past.

But seriously check out the prices of a legitimate one online- the rucks I've seen listed in that condition are worth BANK if they're original. ESPECIALLY if it has a date or serial number still listed on it. (and of course this is completely ignoring the subject of an item your grandfather brought back as a trophy from "the war of all wars.")

« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2010, 04:00 AM »
Haha Yeah I wish he would of told me before he kicked the bucket! No wonder what kind of adventures it has been through. That backpack has served me well the last 10 years of school and I really want it to troop with me. I'll probably end up using it.

Hiram Fett

• Our enemies are judged by God,we arrange the meeting
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2010, 12:43 PM »
As far as I know its real. Gramps got this surplus after the war. I have another one thats in a lot worse condition. He wouldnt tell me how he got that one other than he just came across it.
If your Grandfather captured it in the war , I would not touch it . If it is the real deal , All the Nazi stuff is worth $$$$$ .

Those who hammer their blasters into plows will plow for those who did not.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2010, 12:59 PM »
I see both sides here... I say if it means as much as it does to you, then do what you think would be best for it to honor your grandfather. IF you have one in worse but servicable condition, perhaps use it?

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Mar'eyce

• Ma-ray-shay
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:50 PM »
A compromise could be to troop with the pack and maybe hang trophies and "stuff" from it, but just don't paint it or make any permanent changes. I think it looks rugged enough to use as is if you don't want to mess it up.

« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2010, 05:48 PM »
A compromise could be to troop with the pack and maybe hang trophies and "stuff" from it, but just don't paint it or make any permanent changes. I think it looks rugged enough to use as is if you don't want to mess it up.

yeah I talked to my grandmother this weeked and just asked her what I should do. She told me Gramps would have loved to seen it put into a star wars costume! So I think I'm going to kida do what Mar'eyce said. And just put trophies on it.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!