Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kione's Metal Armor

• 44 Replies
Kione's Metal Armor
« on: Feb 15, 2010, 09:48 PM »
I was finally able to get started on my armor this past week during the snow :D.  Here is my armor concept.

I've had to change the chest plate shape a bit to make it easier to hammer out and allow more freedom of movement.  The plates are planished very smooth even though they may not look it in the pictures.  I still have to decide on the shape of the diamond (I was originally going to have a ovalish leaf shape but now I may go with a traditional diamond).  The edges still need to be ground smooth and trimmed to fit the collar piece, but hopefully things should move much faster now.  I'm pretty happy with how they have turned out so far, especially how well they fit ;D.  As always, comments and critiques are much appreciated.

« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2010, 09:34 PM by Kione Iviin'yc » Logged

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: Kaden's Metal Armor
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2010, 07:22 AM »
If this is your first attempt at dishing, then I am thoroughly impressed!  You've done a spot on job with the curve.  I suspect you'll have to make a fairly deep collar piece since the top of your chest armor does end a little bit low, but if your wearing some kind of hood like your concept shows then that may not be an issue. 

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2010, 06:48 PM »
NICELY DONE.  You've got skills there mate....I've got a lot of respect for anyone who knows how to dish their own armor.

Offhand...sure we're not  related or something?  Freckles, pale skin, short auburn hair, an ornery expression....maybe a cousin...one way or another, you look a lot like me.

« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2010, 10:12 PM »
Thanks Novall!  The armor you've done is awesome, so your compliment means a lot.  And this was my first attempt at dishing.  The left piece does have a small fatigue tear at the bottom of the cup (mostly due to my mediocre cutting), so I have to J-B Weld that.  I do have a template for the collar piece that is pretty low so I'll have to see how that turns out.

And Pheonix, we just might be distant cousins or something.  After my husband read your post he said you had me pegged, especially the ornery bit (I spent about a week convincing him that we should jump right in and attempt our own metal armor :P).  Thanks for the compliments!

Jaden Tracyn

• Real mandos cry...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2010, 12:31 AM »
wooow very good job on the dishing! I'm impressed with everybody else lol

Jagen Ordo

• Chirp-chirp-chirp...KABLOEY!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Skittles is the award for the most colourful picture of Mandos. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2010, 11:30 AM »
Looks comfortable.

Feelings? Look vod, you know who has a lot of feelings? Emo darksiders choking their wives with the Force.
Professionals have standards. Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2010, 04:36 PM »
Wow!  Nice work for a beginner!  All you folks and your metal armors...I'm seriously considering upgrading but don't have anywhere to hammer it that I won't get murdered by a neighbor.

« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2010, 04:58 PM »
Thanks Jaden!  I have been planishing some more to get them really smooth.

Looks comfortable.

As of right now it's very comfortable, though I do have to take a little off the top outside edges so I can move my arms a bit better.  I'm going to try to make my vest this weekend and adjust the plates as necessary.

Wow!  Nice work for a beginner!  All you folks and your metal armors...I'm seriously considering upgrading but don't have anywhere to hammer it that I won't get murdered by a neighbor.

Thanks Taglar!  Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) my neighbor is a di'kut so I don't really care if my hammering bothers him :P.

« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2010, 06:42 PM »
I've got the front mostly finished, just a little more shaping to go.

TK6189

« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2010, 06:46 PM »
Looking great so far! Keep up the good work!

TK6189's Prop Studio. tk6189sprops@gmail.com
See whats for sale right now here

Jagen Ordo

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Skittles is the award for the most colourful picture of Mandos. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #10 on: Mar 13, 2010, 07:28 PM »
A good looking set of unique design.
*clap-clap*

Feelings? Look vod, you know who has a lot of feelings? Emo darksiders choking their wives with the Force.
Professionals have standards. Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

K-Fett

« Reply #11 on: Mar 13, 2010, 08:04 PM »
Great handy work there, looks awesome

Ben BH/ SL-2995 OF THE 501St MidSouthGarrison                  99% Complete Darth Revan              

I'm Ashamed Of What I Did For A Klondike Bar.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/redneckmafia/big40004

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2010, 12:59 PM »
Looks great so far.  Awesome work to be your first hammered set.

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*
Re: Kione's Metal Armor (Picture Heavy)
« Reply #13 on: Jul 25, 2010, 09:43 PM »
I have all of my armor dished and planished except my backplate and shin/boot armor.

I also worked my chestplates a bit more and am pleased with how they've turned out.

I'm hoping to have everything finished by C5, providing the humidity drops enough to let me paint my plates.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: Kione's Metal Armor
« Reply #14 on: Jul 25, 2010, 09:50 PM »
Excellent work, ner burc'ya ;D. At first glance, I wasn't really feeling the separated, dual ab plates, but it works well with the overall design.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144
« Reply #15 on: Jul 26, 2010, 08:59 AM »
Looking good, you're making quite a bit of progress there. I like the alterations you've made to the traditional plate shapes.

Tal Falco

• The jack of all trades Merc.
« Reply #16 on: Jul 26, 2010, 02:34 PM »
That set is great, the hammering came out well on the plates.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din - "Family is more than bloodline."

Tolman-Aaray Kyramud

• Do a barrel roll!
  • The Tolmanator
« Reply #17 on: Jul 26, 2010, 10:14 PM »
Sweet! Amazing curves there! Doesn't look easy, I don't know how women do it!  :rolleyes: ;)

Aaray Kyramud

Ajax Kaal

• Forward, always forward!
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Kione's Metal Armor (Picture Heavy)
« Reply #18 on: Jul 28, 2010, 05:58 PM »
I have all of my armor dished and planished except my backplate and shin/boot armor.

I also worked my chestplates a bit more and am pleased with how they've turned out.

I'm hoping to have everything finished by C5, providing the humidity drops enough to let me paint my plates.

You know, for someone who has never done metal working, you have done a phenomenal job! You've got skills and you could really go far with this. Makes me want to try it someday...

Great work!

Ajax

Ajax Kaal
Member #414
Forward, always forward!
« Reply #19 on: Jul 28, 2010, 09:45 PM »
Thanks for all the compliments guys! 

Makes me want to try it someday...

I just jumped right in with the metalworking and haven't regretted it at all.  Run before you walk!

Here is my flightsuit, vest, and girthbelt.  The flightsuit is a jacket and pants made from Butterick 4688 and Butterick 5391. I used a cotton/spandex sateen for the flightsuit.  The vest was drafted from an old t-shirt and is made of pleather and buckles on the sides and at the collar.

Tassone Phoenix

• Proud Dune Sea Mando
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #20 on: Jul 29, 2010, 01:26 AM »
Soft goods look pretty awesome.

Tassone Phoenix aka Victoria 

Shonare Vhekadla Clan

Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club: #0333

M5: Mandalorian Mercs Mighty Mini Mando #3

My Mando WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=19027.0

My Mando's Beast Hunter Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=70601.0

Verdika's thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=51095.0

Jagen Ordo

« Reply #21 on: Jul 29, 2010, 05:59 AM »
Excellent.

Ajax Kaal

• Forward, always forward!
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #22 on: Jul 29, 2010, 02:59 PM »
Thanks for all the compliments guys! 

I just jumped right in with the metalworking and haven't regretted it at all.  Run before you walk!

Here is my flightsuit, vest, and girthbelt.  The flightsuit is a jacket and pants made from Butterick 4688 and Butterick 5391. I used a cotton/spandex sateen for the flightsuit.  The vest was drafted from an old t-shirt and is made of pleather and buckles on the sides and at the collar.

You look like you've been doing this for years! Excellent work.

Ajax

Ajax Kaal
Member #414
Forward, always forward!

Tolman-Aaray Kyramud

• Do a barrel roll!
  • The Tolmanator
« Reply #23 on: Jul 29, 2010, 04:51 PM »
Your gonna have an awesome kit!! Keep it up!
 :D

Aaray Kyramud
« Reply #24 on: Aug 24, 2010, 07:07 PM »
Thanks again for all the compliments vode!  I've painted and weathered most of my plates now.  I only have my backplate left to shape and a little more weathering with carbon dust, then I'll be finished with my body armor.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!