Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Author Topic: Making a vest without sewing (WIP)  (Read 32833 times)

Calidus Dartome

• Saved a step...
    • Awards
Making a vest without sewing (WIP)
« on: Feb 17, 2010, 01:01 AM »
Supplies
        T-shirt (this will get cut up), Scissors, material vest will be made from 2x2 meters should work, fabric glue (Goop), Velcro, not the sticky kind, and a sharpie marker.
So to start the easiest way to make a template is to find a shirt that is the correct size, but that can get cut up.
Cut along the side of the shirt where the seems of the armpit meet. cut all the way down to the bottom of the shirt. Next cut half the sleeve off, this helps later.

Now that you have made your template, stretch the shirt onto the fabric, be sure you are drawing on the side that no one will see and try to keep the lines as straight as possible. You may want to safety pin the shirt down to improve accuracy. Draw around the template, and draw an inch extra so you can fold it back to give the vest a clean sewn look.

Be sure to not cut it down to much as it can be adjusted later and cut down.

Once cut out it should look something like this

Don't forget to cut into the fake sew zone every few inches

Take a belt lying around and put the vest on, overlapping the under armpit sides. from this adjustments may be needed depending on how it fits.

Once everything is fitting good, glue the one inch sides back to the hidden side of the vest. (not the best pic  ;D)
Continued soon...
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2010, 05:41 PM by Calidus Dartome »

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
    • Awards
Re: Making a vest without sewing (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2010, 08:40 PM »
that's very similar to how i make my kids vests. on the sides i place eyelets and use leather lacing to "stitch" them shut.

on the vest length... for boba fett cut plates, the bottom of the vest should be right at to just below the belly button. for jango cut plates the bottom of the vest should be just above the waistline.

« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2010, 09:59 PM »
Vod, that is kandosii!! I love it, might look into doing this for mine as well, at least for my first run on my soft parts. Thank you for posting this vod, it's greatly appreciated! :D
And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti

Calidus Dartome

• Saved a step...
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2010, 11:35 PM »
Thanks, I'm still figuring stuff out, but I cannot sew. (Luckily I'm taking a costume making class that should help in making soft parts.) So far the best glue to work for me is hot glue.

jabger

• my flag!
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2010, 11:50 PM »
this is a really cool way off making a vest vod, might use it for my next suit.

Mar'eyce

• Ma-ray-shay
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2010, 07:42 AM »
For a no-sew vest that turned out great, and it looks like you got the fit right. I'll agree with A'den about using leather laces for closures. They are adjustable and have a nice look....and I'm a big fan of using them even on "sewn" vests. :)

Ms. Lanna

• Sind wir nicht alle ein bisschen Jawa?
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2010, 01:59 PM »
Since I am prone to sew my thumb to the cloth when taking up a needle, I will SO try this.  ;D
Thanks for sharing.
Gedin'la verd miit'goran.
I am the very model of a modern Mandalorian.

Armour: shiny :D
Weapons: pen (mightier than sword...)
"What would you have me do?"   "Endure."

Calidus Dartome

• Saved a step...
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2010, 01:04 AM »
Got my flight suit and it is amazing! Here is a pic with the vest and flightsuit

For the sleeves I went to a thrift store and found a cheap flanel like shirt that matches the flightsuit.
Make sure to get industrial strength velcro, (it can be sticky) and attach to the sides, make sure to have the vest fitting well and that the edges are glued as mentioned before.

Here is a shot of the vest with paper WOF armor on

In this shot the vest is held together with velcro  ;D

Hot glue works, but if you choose to use another glue i recommend clamping it

Cyrus Rang

• Go ahead and run...Chasing you is fun!
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2010, 02:16 AM »
Wow good job Vod

Calidus Dartome

• Saved a step...
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2010, 02:35 AM »
Thanks, all that is left is to make the shoulder pieces and magnet pockets, then this will be done.

Jaing Vau

• "Verd ori'shya beskar'gam"
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2010, 08:00 PM »
That is great! I am definently doing this method for my vest. Thanks for the tut ner vod.

WIPs!!!
Kit: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=72338.0
Bucket build: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=75240.msg1139132#msg1139132

"Some people say that in order to achieve maximum combat effectiveness, they need to get into the zone. Sir, I *live* in the zone." - Sev

Calidus Dartome

• Saved a step...
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2010, 08:29 PM »
The previous templates were to big so these here are about a quarter inch smaller

The blue tape is to hold the cardboard paper cutouts as tight as possible to give an accurate rough. Let me know how it looks size wise. Thanks

Jaing Vau

• "Verd ori'shya beskar'gam"
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2010, 08:48 PM »
good tut so far vod'ika. I'm watching closley; this is how i'm doing my vest now :P

WIPs!!!
Kit: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=72338.0
Bucket build: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=75240.msg1139132#msg1139132

"Some people say that in order to achieve maximum combat effectiveness, they need to get into the zone. Sir, I *live* in the zone." - Sev

Vhe Oyre

• aka Roboemma
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2010, 10:14 AM »
That looks much better. :)

Calidus Dartome

• Saved a step...
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2010, 12:06 PM »
Thanks.

Shoulder bells coming soon

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!