Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Possible vest source - $19.95 tactical vest

• 31 Replies

Synnr Falco

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Possible vest source - $19.95 tactical vest
« on: Feb 20, 2010, 11:43 AM »

This tactical vest has a zipper front that would need to be covered up but I know other people have used front close vest with success.  The price makes it worth exploring I think.

http://shop.specialopspaintball.com/special-ops-operative-v2-vest.html

Not for me but perhaps for someone else.

VerdaOriramikad

Re: Possible vest source - $19.95 tactical vest
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2010, 02:15 PM »
oh yeah, that looks good, looks like a lot of potential there

GreatSkyRiver Falco

• Haamyc ner nu'amyc
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2010, 03:24 PM »
i'm like one click away , but how is it lined ,i dont see a description........

OriKebiin'traYustapir
Victory, not vengence.
reality is a hologram created by our minds.
M.A.J.I.C # 008
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2010, 05:30 PM »
Wow nice find. Thank you. Odds are I'll order one of these.

Synnr Falco

• Mandalorian Protector
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2010, 06:01 PM »
I bought one. I can post pics

GreatSkyRiver Falco

• Haamyc ner nu'amyc
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2010, 06:17 PM »
post pic of inside, is it fleece or just canvas, hot?warm?

OriKebiin'traYustapir
Victory, not vengence.
reality is a hologram created by our minds.
M.A.J.I.C # 008
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2010, 06:46 AM »
Just ordered one myself, will post pics when I get it

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti

ray'K

• cat# 0238
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2010, 07:59 AM »
holy crap!!!
that's exactly what i want fer my next kit!!!!!
thanx fer the link!!!

Prometheus

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2010, 08:32 PM »
Did anyone buy any of these vests? What did you do with all the extra d-rings and other pieces of fabric such as the handles on the shoulders? Im findind that getting a vest is one of the harder parts of making my kit.

Cpt. Rhiis Mok'tau

• "Wann es nicht gefaellt - Mach neu"
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2010, 01:12 AM »
Did anyone buy any of these vests? What did you do with all the extra d-rings and other pieces of fabric such as the handles on the shoulders? Im findind that getting a vest is one of the harder parts of making my kit.
Any multi-kit member can tell you that the soft parts can be the hardest part of the kit.
Look around at some Mandos for ideas. Some use the extra rings to hang chains, braids, or sashes. Others use them for hanging skulls, holsters, or grenades. Others yet just take them off entirely. Decide what your Mando would do and go for it!

"Well, I'm really a mercenary by trade. You could just call pirating a hobby of mine." -Rhiis
« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2010, 09:37 PM »
I got it, no pics right now but I took almost everything off, the D-rings, clips and the zipper then had my mom sew the front parts together, it's actually really nice if you modify it properly.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti

No'saj Huune

• Nomad in Killeen/Ft. Hood
« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2010, 02:19 AM »
Thanks for the link but they don't have it in black currently  :'(   Can anyone tell me if the material is easy to dye?

Those who wander aren't always lost.

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2010, 01:47 PM »
If they list the fabric type on the site, I didn't see it. But I suspect it's probably a nylon or something similar, which means no, it's a pain in the shebs to dye. There are dyes out there for synthetic fabrics, but I'm not sure how effective they actually are.

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar Mendrosè

No'saj Huune

« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2010, 02:08 PM »
They don't list it but I have two Mol-E vest that I've had since the Gulf War and it looks to be the same material.  Those vest have been sitting in a five gallon bucket of black RIT dye for about two weeks and came out great.  Just wondering if its the same material because if so then I'll have no problem dying it black.

Kora

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2010, 02:14 PM »
lol. Well, if you leave it in for THAT long then yeah, it might work. Has the dye held up alright to being washed?

- Mal, "Firefly"

No'saj Huune

« Reply #15 on: Mar 26, 2010, 02:30 PM »
Oh yeah  ;D   I've washed it twice in hot water just to be sure and even through it into the dryer and the color is still on there.  Even the stitching is still black.   I went ahead and ordered the Omnipat colored version since its lighter and if all goes well I'll finally have a decent vest.

Kora

« Reply #16 on: Mar 26, 2010, 02:34 PM »
Nice :D Definitely let us know how it turns out dyeing it.

- Mal, "Firefly"

ray'K

• cat# 0238
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #17 on: Mar 27, 2010, 12:43 PM »
darn....i need black.
thanks fer the tip!

No'saj Huune

« Reply #18 on: Mar 27, 2010, 02:28 PM »
darn....i need black.
thanks fer the tip!

No worries, but use two bottles of the liquid RIT and add 1tps of salt, I used Sea Salt since its synthetic materials.  I got the bucket from work (Wal-Mart) in the bakery department coz they just toss them out.  Its the kind that has a lid that seals super tight and its for the butter-cream.  Put in the water and dye at the same time leaving enough room for your item to go inside, seal it up, and wait.  If you want a pic of what it looks like I'll snap on off for ya.

« Reply #19 on: Mar 27, 2010, 04:23 PM »
Very cool find.  Pics please!!

No'saj Huune

« Reply #20 on: Mar 27, 2010, 04:51 PM »
Ok heres images of the Mol-E vest so you know what your in for when you try to dye the vest.

I had to hang them outside because I left them out in the rain last nite LOL.

In this close up you can see how the dye is fading somewhat.  Keep in mind however that I dyed them about two months ago, they've been two full wash/dry cycles, and now a full nite of rain and are sun drying.   The color has held up fairly well but I can see the black coming off the red stitching but no worries, I've still got that bucket full of dye so all I have to do is maybe add another pack and some water and maybe a 1/4 teaspon of sea salt.

Also I just want to let you know that the sea salt can and probably will rust up any metal rings/buttons on the vest however a good polishing will get rid of the rust.  Small price to pay to have a piece of kit I guess.  Once I get the vest I think I'll write up a tutorial on dying using it as an example.  Hope this helps  ;D

Prometheus

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #21 on: Mar 27, 2010, 05:47 PM »
Absolutely! I think I may do the same thing. Thanks for the help ner vod.

ray'K

• cat# 0238
« Reply #22 on: Mar 28, 2010, 08:40 AM »
very nice!

No'saj Huune

« Reply #23 on: Apr 02, 2010, 12:43 AM »
Ok everyone I got mine in yesterday but couldn't get pics done till this evening.  I'm starting a new thread with pics of it both laid out and being worn.

ray'K

• cat# 0238
« Reply #24 on: Apr 04, 2010, 08:57 AM »
ahhh!
the link's broken!!!!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!