Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Rohlan Dyre (Helmet Done, page 8, 11/22/16)

• 121 Replies

bh1138

Re: Rohlan Dyre (General updates, page 7, 6/28/15)
« Reply #100 on: Jun 28, 2015, 02:30 AM »
Ængus, It's all paint on PVC pipe I shape with my heat gun. Rustoleum Claret Wine for the red armor

Anybody remember this old thread? It's not dead! I didn't really do anything with Rohlan last summer, as most of my costume time was spent on Starlord and Kanan. I had a couple of bits of progress that I hadn't posted, but for the most part it just sat untouched until last weekend when, looking at my vest hanging on the back of my door, I decided I should try to get this thing finished up. Having learned how to sew my own projects, a new skill since my last update, I think I should make faster progress. So what have I actually done? Mostly little things so far. First up, the helmet.

In 2013, shortly after my last update, I decided I needed to tweak the helmet that I had been so happy with. Sticking on some cardboard strips, I built up areas to add the grooves that I was missing. I had the the larger main groove and out on some spot putty last time I worked on it. Since then, I carved the other grooves with a Dremel wheel (which I should have done with the first one, but oh well) continues sanding and smoothing rough spots from the areas I build up, and finally added the spikes to the back. Last night, I also made the cylinder for the right cheek and dug out my quick release for the air hose. Hopefully I'll be ready for a visor soon.

In other areas of the costume, I've made the arm bands, sewn Velcro on for the ab plates and shoulder pads, blued the "knee wraps" onto the jumpsuit, begun shaping my new PVC gauntlets, and made a new codpiece out of thin walled PVC. Next up, I plan to add fasteners for the thigh plates and cod, which is a bit askew in these pics because it was just tucked under the belt, and then focus on my gauntlets.

More to come in less than 2 years, I promise! :P

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #101 on: Jun 28, 2015, 03:40 PM »
 :o

Nice stuff vod ;) and nice to see you still at it ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

bh1138

« Reply #102 on: Jun 30, 2015, 03:40 PM »
Thanks! Yep, still at it. I never really give up on projects, I just get distracted with new ones... :P

I glued on the cheek cylinder the other day, but most of my work had been gathering materials. I picked up more thin PVC pipe and a fresh tube of epoxy putty to attach my quick release to the other cheek. I also got more red vinyl for the boots and and zippers to reconnect the top and bottom half of my jumpsuit. I split it just so I can put it on without having to bend my shoulders back uncomfortably every time, but to keep the lower section high enough I decided to add a zipper at the waist.

I also found some useful reference in going back through the "Dueling Ambitions" arc of KotOR. As "Spikes" is having his shoulder ground down to regulation for the game, his jetpack is being refueled. This gives us our (as far as I can tell) only clear view of his back armor in the entire series, and in Brian Ching's art no less! I know there were sort of hints of back armor in other art, somethimes just over the shoulder, sometimes overlapping scales like legacy gut plates, but here we see the whole thing clearly drawn by the artist whose Rohlan version my costume is based on. You can also see that the tube along the top of the jetpack is actually a separate piece. Makes sense, as you wouldn't necessarily want to have your whole jetpack any time you need a separate air supply, but it's also an helpful detail for my costume's construction!

bh1138

Re: Rohlan Dyre (Leg velcro, page 7, 7/1/15)
« Reply #103 on: Jul 01, 2015, 02:41 AM »
And in a bit more tangible progress for the day, I picked up a pair of simple slip on shoes which will become my boots and got some velcro on the legs. Unfortunately, I still need to line up the left thigh better and do it's velcro, but I have a bad habit of thinking and planning all day and not starting real work until way too late. As such, I need to get to bed instead of finishing the velcro right now.

The cod seems okay with just velcro in the bit of walking around the house I've done, so hopefully that will be all I need to keep it on during trooping. Between that and the tension of the belt, I feel pretty secure with the setup, but I welcome anyone with experience otherwise. I'm also I've also been considering how to do the butt plate, which in Ching's art looks very similar to the cod. I know that artists sometimes cheat a bit on the details of costumes, but considering the way he sits in it, I'm thinking the inset rectangle part at the top will be hard armor and I'll make the rest padded vinyl.

Anyway, as long as the weather is decent I should have some sort of update again in the evening.  :)

bh1138

Re: Rohlan Dyre (Boot Patterning and Gauntlet work, page 7, 7/1/15)
« Reply #104 on: Jul 02, 2015, 12:25 AM »
I'm back with another brief daily update. First, I finished up the thigh Velcro and re-sewed some parts of the zipper that didn't hold as well. I also traced the swirly, swooshy bits on the gauntlets, carefully dremeled them out, sanded the surface, and fixed my somewhat sloppy heat shaping. And finally, I took the first step toward turning those shoes into boots. Using a method by Evil Ted Smith that I used on some Star-Lord spats last summer, I wrapped my lower leg in foil and duct tape. From there, I'll draw on the shapes of the pieces I'll make in vinyl, cut it apart, and transfer them to flat patterns.

My plan for tomorrow is to make the edges of my gauntlets, and possibly move on to paint and sewing the straps. Looking back at my reference, I think it's more flat than rounded like my first version. As such, I'll probably cut it from strips of the thin PVC I bought the other day.

bh1138

Re: Rohlan Dyre (Boot Patterning and Gauntlet work, page 7, 7/1/15)
« Reply #105 on: Jul 04, 2015, 01:35 AM »
I've been falling into the trap of spending more time deciding which thing to work on than just doing something but I did get the edge pieces for the gauntlets cut, sanded, shaped, and glued. I'll sand them flush tomorrow, fill the seams with epoxy putty, and then it's on to paint.

bh1138

Re: Rohlan Dyre (Boot and Gauntlet work, page 8, 7/11/15)
« Reply #106 on: Jul 11, 2015, 10:39 PM »
After taking some time to get sidetracked by N7 armor, I'm back at Rohlan. Got the gaps filled and gauntlets painted.

I also dove in today on the boots. I trimmed up the foil and tape one, widened the back a bit, and cut it up to make patterns. From there, I just took a stab at sewing it together and I think it's generally looking pretty good. I still need to pick up shoe goo to stick it to the base shoe, so it's a bit off in these pics. My thigh armor also seems to be riding low here. Tomorrow, I plan to pick up the shoe goo along with more thread and a zipper to finish off the second boot.

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #107 on: Jul 12, 2015, 02:45 AM »
Red boots? I've only seen references for brown leather boots with red armor mounted to them. Are there references for red boots?

bh1138

« Reply #108 on: Jul 12, 2015, 02:27 PM »
Yep. Looking back through the series, I'm actually not seeing any that aren't. Sometimes it's red with red armor

But more often than not, he has red boots with grey armor which is what I plan to have.

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #109 on: Jul 12, 2015, 07:16 PM »
Oh I see now! I had forgotten about the version with red boots and grey armor.

bh1138

Re: Rohlan Dyre (Leg armor and Gauntlet work, page 8, 7/23/15)
« Reply #110 on: Jul 23, 2015, 01:47 AM »
Still plugging away, though I have a hard time braking the habit of juggling... other projects.

Anyway, I've cut, shaped, and painted the shin armor. They're just resting on the boots here, as I don't plan to put the velcro on until I do a blackwash tomorrow.

Also cut, glued, sanded, and shaped were the kneepads. They'll be attached through a combination of velcro and elastic hidden inside the jumpsuit leg.

And I finally feel confident enough that it'll work to share another plan for my gauntlets. I glued small circles of cardstock under the washers to diffuse the light from some LEDs I plan to wire up. Here they are with no lighting.

And here with one bulb to give you an idea of how it will look lit up.

I'm pretty excited for that part! :)

bh1138

Re: Rohlan Dyre (Leg armor and Gauntlet work, page 8, 7/23/15)
« Reply #111 on: Jul 28, 2015, 10:11 PM »
I picked up more primer today and finished up the knees. The lower section of the outfit is really starting to come together. I think I need suspenders looking at my pics though. Zipped together, there's just a bit too much slack and the "pants" are hanging too low with the weight of the armor. Note the knees resting on the shins and the big gap between stomach plates and belt. Suspenders should also help my mobility and allow me to bend more than 5 degrees at the waist without risk of tearing a seam on the zipper

bh1138

Re: Rohlan Dyre (Lights and leather straps, page 8, 5/29/16)
« Reply #112 on: May 29, 2016, 01:35 AM »
Well, it must be almost June, because I'm getting that yearly itch to work on Rohlan again! :P I've been spending a lot of time on my Kylo lately, but while it's got a long way to go until I'm fully satisfied (and hopefully 501st approved), I got it to a good looking, wearable state for a local son last weekend and am taking a step back from it after some pretty intense work to do so.

So in the last couple of days, I've pulled out my KOTOR comics and dived back in to one of my earliest and longest running WIPs (even though if it was all condensed it's probably only a few months of work...) I've mainly been working to finish the soft parts, which I've almost accomplished. I still need a jetpack harness once I finish sizing and patterning that piece, a holster, and a knife sheath. I have, however, made up all of the extra tan leather (or in my case vinyl) strapping that permeates this kit. I've also tacked them all down with thread, glue, or velcro to ensure they can move naturally, but not slide down or slip too far out of place.

I added a soft armor "butt pad" because while armor on Rohlan's backside tends to vary from panel to panel, Ching almost always gave him some that sort of mirrors the cod in size and shape, but also tends to have creases or wrinkles that make me assume soft armor is the way to go. Plus I'd like to be able to sit, however awkwardly lol. though the color looks a bit wonky in this photo, it's the same material I used for my vest and boots.

Not pictured, today I did some soldering and got my two rows of LEDs done for the gauntlets. I just need to pick up some more flexible wire to run up the sleeve to the battery pack and those can be installed in the armor. In other lighting news, I found how I'm going to do the mysterious glowing ooze in the jetpack! I dug out a clear plastic tube that has been in my costume supply boxes for ages and filled it with little gel beads. I also nestled some well insulated green LED Christmas lights down in the tube, and I think the result is pretty cool. Keep in mind this is more of a proof of concept, and I want to make sure the lights are all in a column at the back of the tube for the real deal so there arent random super bright points very clearly visible. I may also play around with extra diffusing of some kind.

Next update will probably focus on the start of my back armor or my jetpack design. And to close out this post, how about a couple bonus pictures of the Kylo outfit I mentioned earlier :)

bh1138

Re: Rohlan Dyre (Hand and back armor, page 8, 6/1/16)
« Reply #113 on: Jun 02, 2016, 12:10 AM »
Today felt almost momentous, as I final cut out, sanded, shaped, and primed the last of Rohlan's armor plates. Not that any of that was much more challenging than the rest of the kit, but today I finally got off my *** and actually made the pieces. :P

I plan to finish their paintjob tomorrow and add the necessary velcro so I can try on the whole set of armor (sans weapons, gloves, helmet, and jetpack, but still...). I'll also be finishing the soldering job on the gauntlet LEDs, adding one at the front for the hand plate, and hopefully getting them actually installed in the gauntlets.

Speaking of lights and finally getting around to doing things, I worked up the nerve to take a dremel to my chest piece and add his chest slot and holes for the two laces on each side of the top. I sanded up a little rectangle of acrylic and epoxied it in behind the light slot, and stuck another green LED back there. I also finally epoxied the washer and cardstock "diffusers" to my gauntlets. None of the light really shows green in the photos, but in person, I'm pretty tickled with the outcome! :D
More to come tomorrow or Friday!

bh1138

Re: Rohlan Dyre (Armor test fitting, page 8, 6/3/16)
« Reply #114 on: Jun 03, 2016, 08:33 PM »
Alright, I tried on what I've got done today and here are my takeaways.
  • I definitely need a handler. This is much harder to move in than any of my other costumes, and the first one I actually need help putting on
  • The lower half is pretty good. I don't have a full range of movement, but I can walk easily without fear of pieces falling off.
  • I have to make sure I get everything properly lined up. You can see in the pics there's some velcro peeking out by the cod and the back is a hot mess.
  • On the same topic, I need to make sure whoever helps me kit up knows exactly where and how to attach the plates I can't get to alone. To that end, I think I'll add snaps to the backplates so they line up exactly where I need them.
  • The gauntlets are going to need snaps or velcro as well so they don't spin or slide down like they were.
  • The belt it soo heavy to just sit there on its own. I think my spacing on the gut looks off because it's hanging too low under the weight of the pouches. I may have to add a harness, or see about peeling the covers off of the wood blocks and replacing them with a lighter material.

That's what I can think of right away. Plenty to fix, but it feels like I'm getting closer, and most of the big issues are due to things being tested for the first time like the back armor or just unfinished like the gauntlets. In general, I'm pretty happy with where this is headed! :)

Briks

• War Wolf
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #115 on: Jun 03, 2016, 09:04 PM »
Yep, handlers are important I went to my first con with my costume and had to ask some random guy to zip up the back of the vest lol.

MMCC Member: # 1195

When I'm finished...You're gonna be glad no one was here to watch you DIE.

My Original Armor  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=85524.0

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #116 on: Jun 24, 2016, 10:10 PM »

Following with extreme interest, I'm in the planning process for a late crusader build with similar armour, helmet, and gauntlet styles to this canon character.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 84
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

bh1138

Re: Rohlan Dyre (Helmet Done, page 8, 11/22/16)
« Reply #117 on: Nov 22, 2016, 10:29 PM »
Hit a decent milestone as I continue plugging away off and on. My helmet is finally done! I feel like I can confidently predict that this will be done less than a decade after I started this thread.

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #118 on: Nov 22, 2016, 11:29 PM »
Hit a decent milestone as I continue plugging away off and on. My helmet is finally done! I feel like I can confidently predict that this will be done less than a decade after I started this thread.

Looking good Vod, I'll have to retake a look at your kit here tomorrow starting at the beginning of your thread.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 84
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

bh1138

« Reply #119 on: Apr 30, 2017, 08:52 PM »
I had the opportunity to meet KotOR author John Jackson Miller at a local con this weekend, so naturally I decided to finally wear Rohlan out. All in all, it went pretty well. I still need to finish odds and ends of most components, but the only big stuff I have left is weapons, gloves, and a jetpack. Takeaways from today's troop include:

- My gauntlet fix with the snaps works well and is holding
- I'm going to need some actual physical attachment that keeps my belt from sliding down, even with the foamcore pouches
- My helmet is a bit heavier than I had anticipated...
- The cod plate is a pain and I probably need a "Boba thong"

I think the end is in sight though. I might really finish it up and submit for OM this summer!  :D

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #120 on: May 02, 2017, 10:15 PM »
Dude, it's awesome to see how far this has come, slowly but surely  :). I'm glad to see you're still working away at it.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Ref Al'drann

« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2017, 12:34 AM »
Looking good!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!