Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Rohlan Dyre (Helmet Done, page 8, 11/22/16)

• 121 Replies

bh1138

Rohlan Dyre (Helmet Done, page 8, 11/22/16)
« on: Mar 16, 2010, 12:14 AM »
One of my current projects is Rohlan Dyre from the KOTOR comics.The helmet is the only thing I have much of a start on (its my first scratch build and I put on fiberglass yesterday) but I would love some input from anyone who would provide it on certain aspects of the costume.

In this pic, what I've blacked out is clearly armor. My question is about the stuff outlined in blue-green. (this is the original for comparison: http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/0/05/SWKOTOR7-FC.jpg)
My favorite KOTOR artist was hands down Brian Ching. In his art the part outlined in blue-green seems to my eye to look more like a kind of leather flak vest it his stuff. In other art though, it seems to me much more like more armor.
Example: http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/8/81/Mando_Wars_battle.jpg
The leather seems much more practical for movement, but I'd still like to hear your suggestions..
 :)

« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2016, 10:21 PM by bh1138 » Logged

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Rohlan Dyre
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2010, 12:27 AM »
First of all, I look forward to seeing this build come along. I like Rohlan and his armor is great. My first set of armor used a modded Rohlan helmet. I still have it sitting on my self. It was retired after Karen Traviss signed it.

We do have CRL's for KOTOR Crusader Era Mandalorian and Rohlan would fall into them. We don't have a specific Rohlan CRL however, we would evaluate any build based upon the existing artwork. I understand your dilema. I built a Mandalore the Indomitable, from teh Sith Wars comics, and he varies in appearance almost from frame to frame, let alone issue to issue or artist to artist. What I did was look at all teh existing artwork, pull specific stand out items that didnt vary or varied little and then looked at other stand out features in the various artwork. What I ended up with was a build that was consistant with the character overall and had pieces specific to certain sources although, the costume as a whole wouldn't stand up to any one source. The end result was undeniably and obviously Mandalore the Indomitable. I would suggest taking a similar direction with Rohlan. Take what y ou like from certain sources and leave behind what you don't. As long as the end result can be looked at and know to be Rohlan, you've done your job.

Now as for your question directly. Most source I would say that it is clearly a single torso plate, perhaps two that overlap at the ribcage like clone or TK armor. However, in teh picture you've sourced, that's not the case. It really does look like an early flak vest design. Much more practical for movement and probably costumeing as well. However, from an in-universe perspective, it wouldn't offer the same level of protection.

My opinion for you would be to do it as you like. Build it so it's quality built and clearly Rohlan and you won't miss the mark!

Jagen Ordo

• Chirp-chirp-chirp...KABLOEY!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Skittles is the award for the most colourful picture of Mandos. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2010, 06:37 PM »
I'd say go for the leather type.
Honestly, I hate it when in games or comics the characters wear armour that wouldn't allow them to move an inch in real life, but they twist like pretzels in the comics.
Like Neo-Crusader armour, for instance.
And you'll want to be able to bend over in the costume.

Feelings? Look vod, you know who has a lot of feelings? Emo darksiders choking their wives with the Force.
Professionals have standards. Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2010, 07:38 PM »
When trying to interpret my Cam Kennedy comic Fett, I went through all of the books, noted how the parts were drawn to look most often and replicated it that way.  Jagen is right though that when drawing you don't realy have to take into account the reality of mobility.

In Dyre's case, I think the leather vest is the way to go, BTW.

"The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote: 'A flute with no holes is not a flute...and a donut with no holes is a danish.' He was a funny guy." --Ty Webb CADDYSHACK

bh1138

« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2010, 10:55 PM »
I've got a bit of an update. Here are some pics of some templates I drew up the other day. Its not much, and I still have  to get my materials (probably sintra) but its a start...

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc243/bedaho/Picture002-11.jpg

bh1138

« Reply #5 on: Apr 14, 2010, 08:39 PM »
Its been a while since I updated this, but I thought I'd post what I've done with my bucket so far. It's still kind of rough, and I need to do some sanding and other touch ups before bondo. I also did a bit of reshaping to the front before I did my last bit of fiberglass because I finally realized why the shape wasn't quite like what I wanted it to be. Anyway, enough rambling. here are some pics of my first scratchbuild work in progress: Rohlan Dyre

Progress gallery:
http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc243/bedaho/rohlan%20dyre%20helmet/

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2010, 08:47 PM »
Contrary to popular belief, Neo-Crusader type armor doesn't actually limit your bending all that much. You just have to bend at the waist, rather than curving your abs. Shab, you can get almost full flexibility in full plate armor, if it's made right.

That said, I agree with your assessment BH, in that first pic, it definitely looks like a vest, while in the second it's clearly solid armor. I'd say the route you chose there, going by the first, will likely be more comfortable. Just because you can bend and flex in plate armor or NC armor doesn't make it particularly comfy :P.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

bh1138

« Reply #7 on: Apr 30, 2010, 11:44 PM »
No real updates right now, but I was just wondering if anyone knows a good wayto evenly lighten the color of fabric. I found a good flight suit that is a dark blue, but it is a bit to dark for what I'm looking for with Rohlan. So either I'm going to have to dye it to make it a lighter color or I'll dye it black for my other WIP.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 12:14 AM »
depending on the material, multiple washings with detergent that's not a color protector or hot water. but with certain fabrics that could get you nowhere or shrink it. you could also try washing it or soakig it in a bucket of HEAVILY diluted liquid bleach?

bh1138

« Reply #9 on: Jun 03, 2010, 03:13 PM »
I've finally got a bit of an update on this. I decided to go the plastic tote route, because it's cheap and I don't have to bother with ordering online like I will with sintra. I hope to upgrade in the future, but this works for now. Also, there are some rough spots in the primer coat, but nothing a little sanding won't fix. And speaking of sanding, I'm still hard at work on the helmet, but no new pics yet. I hate sanding bondo...  :P

bh1138

« Reply #10 on: Jun 05, 2010, 01:00 AM »
Well, looks like I won't have to worry about dying that jumpsuit. My mom was out at garage sales today and found a perfect one for me at a church's sale. Even better, it was 25 cents! She also picked up a couple of baseball helmets which will be my shoulder pads soon. And to cap it off, I've cut out a few more plates today. Slowly but surely, this is coming together!  :)

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc243/bedaho/100_1017.jpg

Jagen Ordo

• Chirp-chirp-chirp...KABLOEY!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Skittles is the award for the most colourful picture of Mandos. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #11 on: Jun 06, 2010, 12:45 PM »
Best 25 cents ever.

Feelings? Look vod, you know who has a lot of feelings? Emo darksiders choking their wives with the Force.
Professionals have standards. Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Naas Atiniir

• A Mando of many colors. Or maybe just two.
« Reply #12 on: Jun 06, 2010, 01:49 PM »
Are you using more then just that image for reference? If you look at a the others in this thread, the chest plate looks more like it's two layers, not just two pieces like that. Your knees also look too skinny, and don't have quite the right look to them. The thighs you've made look spot on, and will look good once you shape them. The cod should be a little wider at the top, and shouldn't look like a regular cod like it does right now. The brow area of your helmet looks a little tall, and the visor area a little small and short. Do you see out of the visor, or at least see that area, when you put it on? Also, compared to your top chest plates, the ab strips look a little wide.

Don't take this the wrong way, I just want you to be the best Rohlan Dyre you can be. He's a cool character and I don't think anyone has ever finished a Rohlan before, so I'm looking forward to your progress. Good luck with your build. :)

Retired?

bh1138

« Reply #13 on: Jun 09, 2010, 02:10 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback ner vod. For starters, yeah, I've used more than just the pic in this thread. I prefer the art done by Brian Ching though, and I think most of the time it looks like the aren't layered in his pics. The knees seemed right at the time, but I'll go back and check again. The cod I'm not sure exactly what I need to do to fix it, but I'll be taking a look at that again. As for the helmet, it is a little tall, but not too bad and the visor is where It needs to be for me to see. And you're right about the ab plates. Again, thanks for the feedback. I don't quite have an update yet, but I will soon.

« Reply #14 on: Jun 09, 2010, 02:26 PM »
If you can afford it, I have the contact info for a guy who makes a Rohlan Dyre helmet. IT comes painted and lined/ready to wear, from his statements. HEre's the email I got when inquiring about it:

sure do I attached pictures of both versions they are 250 shipped they come fully padded ready to wear and are fiberglass construction and will be around along time let me know what you decide

Brian

HE does make one helmet specifically designed around the Chin art work... Attached are the pics of it.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

bh1138

« Reply #15 on: Jun 15, 2010, 10:20 PM »
Nothing on the armor today, but I have got a start on the vest. I think it's going pretty well so far. I still need to finish the connective side pieces, but hopefully that won't take too long. ;D Also, the jumpsuit is still as it was before. I haven't taken it in where it needs to be yet or taken off extra pockets, etc.

Hondo Karr

« Reply #16 on: Jun 15, 2010, 10:54 PM »
The soft parts are looking great.

bh1138

« Reply #17 on: Jun 16, 2010, 06:45 PM »
Thanks ner vod. I started painting up my plates earlier. I don't have any pics yet because I'm having issues with the main chest plate. I'll post them as soon as I get that ironed out though. The colors of my paint don't match the vest perfectly, but I think they look pretty good together still. I'll have to see what you guys think after I post my pics.

Galen Skirata

• Vode An
« Reply #18 on: Jun 16, 2010, 11:09 PM »
cant wait to see this all come together

Galen Marith-Skirata

bh1138

« Reply #19 on: Jun 18, 2010, 08:56 PM »
New pic of the painted torso armor layed out on the vest.

I went with a kind of rusted metal look for the weathering so far.
I think I might be taking a bit of a detour next and start working on weapons just to change things up, though I also am reworking the front of the helmet. Again. :P

bh1138

« Reply #20 on: Jul 25, 2010, 01:12 AM »
Wow... It's been a while since I've updated this. Kinda boring, because this in another no pic update, but it's an update none the less. I have a neck seal almost done now. I have it pretty much based on a TK one because from what I've seen, it looks to be the same kind of black ribbed neck seal. I also finally have the cheeks of the helmets worked out to the point that I'm actually satisfied with their accuracy. I just need to fiberglass them now. And last, but not least, I have started to do some work on my jetpack designs. Overall, I'm still just plugging away. Hopefully I'll have pics up tomorrow. :)

bh1138

« Reply #21 on: Jun 01, 2011, 09:31 PM »
And it finally continues! :) I'll keep it short, because there isn't much progress yet, but I've finally started my jetpack.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: Rohlan Dyre (Jetpack Started)
« Reply #22 on: Jun 02, 2011, 11:28 AM »
Great start on the jetpack, and good to see some progress here :P.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

bh1138

« Reply #23 on: Jun 11, 2011, 11:58 PM »
Haha thanks. It's good to be making some progress.  :P
Again, not much progess on this yet, but I finally found the old softball helmets that will become my shoulder pads and I'll be using some plastic knitting needles I picked up at a thrift store for the spiked one. They will be shorter and the whole surface will be covered in fiberglass and bondo. this should give you an idea of what it will be though.

For the gauntlets, as they are just a half shell with straps beneath, I'm using plastic cups and all I've done is cut the cup. There are more details to add to it, and I think for the green things, I'll start with some sort of green plastic inside of a washer. I 'd like to put in LEDs in the future

Last, but not least, I'm redesigning my helmet from scratch again. I've learned a lot from trial and error as well as forum research, so it should be bettter this time. In case anyone wanted to see it, I'll give you a picture of the farthest I got on version 1 before I cut off the cheeks to reshape them. It might still be salvageable, but I would rather just start over.

bh1138

« Reply #24 on: Jun 13, 2011, 12:41 PM »
And now for pictures of the very beginings of my new helmet. Today, a first cardstock mockup. no real details on it, but it does iron out the basics.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!