Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

an idea

• 26 Replies

Mijo

an idea
« on: Apr 06, 2010, 10:58 PM »
has anyone thought of building a personal cooling system into their backpack/jetpack?

because i might have some ideas...

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: an idea
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2010, 11:06 PM »
I think there's been talk of it occasionally, but I don't believe anyone's ever actually done it. Usually is just a couple fans in the bucket and a water bladder in the backpack.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144
« Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2010, 11:10 PM »
Hopefully later this summer i'll have something to show you along those lines :D

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Mijo

« Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2010, 11:13 PM »
-nods-

what about adding an underlayer with tubing in it that has cool water pumped through it, cooled and pumped by components in the backpack?

« Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2010, 11:15 PM »
-nods-

what about adding an underlayer with tubing in it that has cool water pumped through it, cooled and pumped by components in the backpack?

power source of a goodly amount would be needed for something like that scale, and the weight on your back would likely cancel out the cooling benefits.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Mijo

« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2010, 11:28 PM »
fair point. but i'm sure I can come up with something. i'll keep you guys and gals updated.

« Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2010, 11:29 PM »
Honestly, for the amount of time and money invested in alternate cooling, discreetly place screen mesh and multiple fans work best... Especially placing the fans so they may use the mesh openings to circulate air in an dout rather than around.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2010, 12:15 AM »
But hey, if you can come up with something balancing cheapness, weight and effectiveness, I'm sure plenty of us would be interested to hear about it ;D.

Mijo

« Reply #8 on: Apr 07, 2010, 12:59 AM »
So far the heart of the cooling system involves a bladder much like those found in hydration systems with those plastic jobs that you put water in and freeze to put in your coolers snuggled up next to it, and it might be possible to work it so that the water's pumped through the tubes by the compression of the boot soles that naturally happens when walking... but that's pretty much a second draft theory with no practical experience behind it.

Praetor Ordo

• Ibic cuyi haar yusta
« Reply #9 on: Apr 07, 2010, 01:03 AM »
I was looking, at one point, to add a few squirrel fans into my backpack and then connect them to hoses to my cheeks (like TIE Pilots).  But, that design has been tossed in lieu of my Assassin plans now (once M-DSB releases them).

Mijo

« Reply #10 on: Apr 07, 2010, 01:20 AM »
I was looking, at one point, to add a few squirrel fans into my backpack and then connect them to hoses to my cheeks (like TIE Pilots).  But, that design has been tossed in lieu of my Assassin plans now (once M-DSB releases them).

i can also see adding some fans like they have for computer towers into the 'ears' of the bucket, considering effecting the temp around the head can adjust body comfort by up to 40%. which is why i've been thinking of having a hood/mask combo option for when it's really hot...

No'saj Huune

• Nomad in Killeen/Ft. Hood
« Reply #11 on: Apr 07, 2010, 02:10 AM »
I thought about it but the weight of the back plus the back plate would basically cancel the cooling with how hot it gets here in TX.  I'm just sewing in a mesh layer on the inside back of my vest and inserting some ice packs to the lower back and shoulders.  But if someone comes up with something light and efficient I'd love to hear it.  Especially if it can stand up to 110+ degree tempatures.

Those who wander aren't always lost.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2010, 02:44 AM »
Shab, Texas? I was stationed at Goodfellow AFB, in San Angelo...call it a 150-200 miles west of Fort Hood. I assume the temp's the same...and let me say I don't envy you doing summer troops in armor. I used to hate summers there in shorts and a t-shirt.

Kantis Nolef

• Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #13 on: Apr 07, 2010, 05:46 AM »
So what I think you're looking for is a "cool suit" like they use in movies when an actor is wearing a full body costume. I did a google search and came up with this.

I think I might be related to Scorch, or maybe Fi.
How do you say "-censored-" in Mando'a?

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #14 on: Apr 07, 2010, 11:40 AM »
Liquid cooling is a great concept, because you only have to cool your torso, and you only have to add a total of ten pounds to your back. (5 for the pump, mini-cooler, and power source, 5 for the ice and water) and you should have the hoses filled with antifreeze rather than water so you can actually let it sit unused, and only start the pump for five minutes or so at a time when you need to shed a few degrees of excess heat.

It can also be used with hot water in the cooler for those cold northern winter troops.

Essentially, you run tubes up and down your torso (Siphon effect counteracts the "uphill pump" problem) and then run a few loops of the tube through the inside of the cooler.  When the fluid goes through the cooler it's either shedding your excess body heat into ice, or absorbing heat from your hot water.  You really don't need much, and the cooling effect cuts more than enough heat fatigue to overbalance weight fatigue when used properly.

More weight can be cut if you made it a plug-in system and only used it to refresh yourself for a few minutes every hour or so by plugging into a table power source, going to your hotel room, or even using a car battery, like the racing pros do (CoolShirt under their racing suits.  Those guys have it far worse than we do, thermally)

Call it a DIY CoolShirt.  You could get a REAL CoolShirt system, but that's prohibitively expensive.

The main thing to remember is that you don't leave it turned on all the time.  That's a ticket to hypothermia.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!