Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My Rebuild. Suggestions?

• 11 Replies
My Rebuild. Suggestions?
« on: Apr 01, 2015, 10:32 PM »
Hello everyone! I haven't posted on here in over half a year because life's been in the way. When I first got on here, i brought up my first kit, but it was a difficult material and it was waaay to big on me. It looked really bad... Now I'm able to get back to my kit, I restarted the entire thing.
I'm using 1/8" sintra.
How does it look so far? I attached it via tape since I don't have a flak vest yet. So I know the spacing might be a tad off. Should i adjust the sizing anywhere? I thought about making the thighs/knees slightly smaller, but I'm not sure. I should also mention I have a backplate, but no picture of it yet.

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
Re: My Rebuild. Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2015, 01:49 AM »
I'd say you're looking pretty good! ;D Just a couple things I should mention...

First, your shirt in that first pic is throwing me off a little :rolleyes: Where does the bottom of the ab plate end? For proper sizing it should land right at your belly button.

Second, I'm gunna say your collar is a little too wide. The outside edges should line up with the chest plates. The easy fix is to simply cut off... I'd guess a 1/2" based on the pic.

That's really it, actually ;D I'm curious though: Are you gunna wear your thighplates like that, or switch them around to how Jango wears them? It's just the same plates, but on opposite legs. Both ways are fine! I'm just curious ;)
(Pic for reference)

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Mavik

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2015, 06:02 AM »
Agreed, the only thing that is jumping out at me right now is the collar being wide.

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2015, 09:32 AM »
Nice job so far vod  :)  Like the other two said, the only thing I'm noticing is the collar plate.  Do you have an idea for colours/patterns yet?  Keep up the good work!

« Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2015, 12:17 PM »
I'm going with black, olive green and dark blue. I'll try to post another update by the end of this week.  :)

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2015, 05:30 PM »
looking good. I'm also glad to see you have your plates spaced and placed correctly. the problem a lot of females make is puting the chest plate too low, creating a huge gap by the collar and bumping the ab waayy down. this all looks great, I recon your knees and thighs are fine, just need to pull the thighs up a bit and maybe the cod down and curve in a bit more

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014
Master Thread.
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 09:42 PM »
So I actually ended up trimming the collar just a bit. Probably about a 1/4" on each side. Here's the plates with the vest. I used Velcro and ran out so I'll post updates of the bottom once I buy more.

With helmet and girth belt.

Kitala-Enby

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 06:22 AM »
Everything looks good. I'd say your vest could use some darts on front of the arms to bring in that bag. You could also  possibly do with bumping each pd the plates up a half inch or so. collar looks a touch low to me, though you could be fine without :)

Also which helmet is it you're using again? It looks a touch small on you now, though not so much that it looks tiny, just a little on the small side.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
VOTS #014
Master Thread.
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 10:57 AM »
It's a Rubie's 2 piece.

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 01:27 PM »
Looking good! You could roll with it as-is, but I think it would improve the look a bit if you tightened the spacing around the diamond up just a hair, and  trim 1/8" off the collar edges. Basically the collar and shoulder armor looks a touch crowded, and that woild give them a bit more space.

The thighs could use a trim too, the templates for some reason come out scaled too big. I had to trim the heck out of mine compared to the rest of my armor too.

Kitala-Enby

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 10:48 AM »
Looking good! You could roll with it as-is, but I think it would improve the look a bit if you tightened the spacing around the diamond up just a hair, and  trim 1/8" off the collar edges. Basically the collar and shoulder armor looks a touch crowded, and that woild give them a bit more space.

The thighs could use a trim too, the templates for some reason come out scaled too big. I had to trim the heck out of mine compared to the rest of my armor too.

I've came to realise that the large armour templates, are better proportioned with small thighs/shins. when it comes to smaller armour sizes they likely need trimmed to shab as Ralin said. I didn't discover this until my plates were made. look HUGE. Jangos actual thighs are tiny in comparison to the template thighs.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
VOTS #014
Master Thread.
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 05:11 PM »
Time for an update so I'm just going to jump to some photos. For the most part, everything is done. All that i have left is my gauntlets, holsters and attach my cape.

The only picture I got of the bottom before I painted. Note I did end up trimming the thighs and cod piece after I took the picture.

When I started the first gauntlet. They're not my friends. :(

Painting. Ignore the silver pieces on the left. Those are for another cosplay I'm doing for Animazement this weekend.

More painting. Weathering. Glued the other gauntlet. And again ignore the silver pieces.  ;)

Cape.

Kit as of right now. Spacing's a bit off I bet. It's kinda hard putting it all on by myself for the first time haha.

Add head wrap/scarf.

I made a backplate, but then made another that was a tad smaller.

So here it is! I'll post again when I finish the last bit.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!