Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Roki's Body Armor (new stuff, pg 8 !)

• 136 Replies

Rokeim Gekla

• Hasn't defiled in a while
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member Order of the Ori'Ramikad Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: Roki's Body Armor redux (V2 pix on p6 !!)
« Reply #75 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:44 AM »
Alrighty... VERSION 2 OFFICIAL !

Things i know i need to do
1) Figure a better way to keep the new biceps from wandering so much (they're already velcro'ed 6 ways from sunday, and they have a nylon strap.. grrrrr)   I'm blaming the flight suit.. perhaps some tighter tailoring or some such..
2) More back armor,  that lovely space between the end of the backplate and my belt line is such a great place for more armor ;)
3) Calf Armor

Just a copy from my OM Critique thread,  so nothing too new.. but still.  VERSION 2 is here !

Kardos Shantiel

• I don't need gaunts I've got the POWER GLOVE!
Re: Re: Roki's Body Armor redux (V2, pix on p6 !!)
« Reply #76 on: Jan 05, 2012, 03:07 PM »
*jaw drops and imagines...*
Oh, sorry. I was too busy imagining I could make that! :D
Totally kick-shebs! XD

Proud member of the Dumbstruck Podcast Team!

http://www.twitch.tv/dumbstruck_podcast

Armor:

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
Re: Roki's Body Armor redux (V2, pix on p6 !!)
« Reply #77 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:49 PM »
First of all, it looks good mate. I like the colour scheme you've got going on, and the weathering looks good.

I think if you raised your belt up, and added some pouches or something similar to the back you wouldn't need more back armour, which would also help with the congestion you currently have around your waist with all the pouches and holster. Also I think this would help counter act the unbalanced look of it at the moment. By unbalanced what I mean is; with the elongated ab piece and everything going on around your waist/thighs, I think it makes you look a little like you have a very long torso and short squat legs.

Personally I don't much like the collar segmented into so many parts but that is more of a personal preferance thing I think. One thing you could do to perhaps improve it (in my eyes anyway) would be to adjust the position of the parts so that they lined up along the bottom better rather than being a little uneven a they are at the moment, but I realise this is probably easier said than done.

Lastly in regards to the biceps, you could try having a strap coming down from the shoulders of the vest to the top of them, and providing it wasn't too long it may help to stop them from twisting as much. And possibly shaving a little (~ 1") off the bottom of them might help too.

Just my thoughts on possible improvements :)

*EDIT* Also IMO you should either cover up or change the belt buckle as it detracts from the high level of execution present in the rest of the kit.

« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2012, 04:53 PM by Tracyn Ordo » Logged

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #78 on: Jan 05, 2012, 11:34 PM »
Think I've touched on the collar in the past, so I'll leave it :P. I kind of like the way the belt is canted down on one side a bit; gives it a sort of gunslinger look, though I think you could use a girth belt/sash/etcetera. You might want to consider losing the pouch on the left side of the belt buckle, though, as it looks a little cluttered with the thigh pouch right there too. For the belt buckle itself, what I did with mine was just cut a piece of aluminum to shape and velcro'd it right to the bucket. Pull it off to buckle and unbuckle, then slap it back on. Instant new belt buckle.

For the biceps, moar velcro! If you're careful, you can get enough of your sleeve under a sewing machine to sew the velcro right onto the sleeve; s'what I did with mine and it made a world of difference keeping my biceps in place.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Rokeim Gekla

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member Order of the Ori'Ramikad Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #79 on: Jan 06, 2012, 08:13 AM »
Heck guys.. i never even thought of the belt buckle  :o   Will definately get done this spring after i get a chance to do a little imagination-ing.    I think i'm going to forego more velcro on the biceps and just stick a snap under the sleeve and on the bicep armor itself.  definately wont be moving anywhere then ;) 

I do have a girth belt, but i think i'm going to mod my vest a little before i wear it again.   Rest assured i'll have it all squared away for Celebration  ;D

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #80 on: Jan 06, 2012, 08:36 AM »
Yeah I think a girth belt would totally solve the problem of the short looking back plate.  That plate looked longer on your tape cast, but a strip could be added below the plate that acts as a large kidney plate.

But yeah I think if you can get something like a Jango style girth belt, then you won't need to worry about that space at all.  Your tall enough to sport a good wide girth belt.

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #81 on: Jan 06, 2012, 10:20 AM »
Always liked your kit Roki. But yeah, i think the Jango girth belt will work very well. Plus it'll cover the space on your lower back.  ;)

Calo Ordoa

« Reply #82 on: Jan 06, 2012, 12:43 PM »
That helmet looks like osik. Send it to me for proper disposal.  ;)

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #83 on: Jan 06, 2012, 01:23 PM »
That helmet looks like osik. Send it to me for proper disposal.  ;)

I don't think that's going to work... =P

Calo Ordoa

« Reply #84 on: Jan 06, 2012, 02:19 PM »
I don't think that's going to work... =P

*Grumbles "Ke'slana trattok'o o'r palon..." and walks away.*

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #85 on: Jan 06, 2012, 02:44 PM »
Just to add; I also think you need to cut an inch - 1.5 off the bottom of that belly plate.  Especially if your going to add a girth belt, as it's going to overlap and be uncomfortable as heck.

Rokeim Gekla

« Reply #86 on: Jan 07, 2012, 10:50 AM »
Last time i used my girth, i had problems keeping it up, stinking thing kept wanting to slide down, so before i go cutting things i need to figure out a good way to keep it in place. 

And no Calo.. you cant have my bucket ;)    MS is possibly making new ones tho...

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #87 on: Jan 07, 2012, 12:11 PM »
Last time i used my girth, i had problems keeping it up, stinking thing kept wanting to slide down, so before i go cutting things i need to figure out a good way to keep it in place. 

Cinch it tighter to the point just before too uncomfortable to wear.

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
« Reply #88 on: Jan 07, 2012, 02:07 PM »
Or put velcro around the bottom of your vest, and on the inside of the girth belt.  That'll keep it up, and that's what I have to do.

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #89 on: Jan 07, 2012, 02:14 PM »
I cant add to anything that has not already been said, but everything plates to bucket looks brilliant and the weathering is amazing.

pinocchio

• The Biscalor
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #90 on: Feb 08, 2012, 07:05 AM »
first impressions to me are the gut plate is a bit on the long side, and a girth belt or something need to be around the waist as the plates are looking on the big side.

COMPLAINING DOES NOT GIVE YOU POWER, BUT CREATING WILL.

Rokeim Gekla

« Reply #91 on: Feb 08, 2012, 09:10 AM »
like this ?

I know i gotta get rid of that little yellow tab thingy,  easy to do, just havent done it yet

Kelan Ord

• Mando McConaughey
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #92 on: Feb 08, 2012, 09:15 AM »
Awesome!

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #93 on: Feb 08, 2012, 10:07 AM »
It's amazing just how much a girthbelt makes ;) .

Rokeim Gekla

« Reply #94 on: Sep 07, 2012, 10:30 AM »
So... i be getting a new girth in the next week or so.  The following pics are fresh as of last night,  the model is NOT me.    My gut is significantly bigger >_> 

Belt produced by our very own Solus Kyr, owner of TNXB Creations :)  Good job man !

« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2012, 10:41 AM by Rokeim Gekla » Logged

Vhett Naast

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #95 on: Sep 07, 2012, 11:30 AM »
that is cool  8)  8)  Isn't that sigil the one the death watch used on their tents in the last season?

Cyre Katsew

• Let the hunt begin.
« Reply #96 on: Sep 07, 2012, 07:43 PM »
Holy shnikes that's a sweet kit! Very well done.  8)

[img]https://scontent.fsnc1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13133083_596307757199273_5612102754595310880_n.jpg?oh=e526b4349179d77de8bfd3728a9d4e17&oe=58601DE8[img]

Rokeim Gekla

« Reply #97 on: Sep 07, 2012, 11:23 PM »
that is cool  8)  8)  Isn't that sigil the one the death watch used on their tents in the last season?

Thanks :)  And yep ! It is, found a cleaned up, higher res version and had it worked into the piece.  Added a little twist of the waxing/waning moons between it for a little extra symbolism for those who care to do a little digging on the subject matter ;)

Holy shnikes that's a sweet kit! Very well done.  8)

Thanks ! Its been 3 years in the making, and its still WIP :-D 

Vhett Naast

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #98 on: Sep 08, 2012, 12:14 AM »
nice,  I love stuff like that.  Its the little details in a kit that makes them awesome  ;)

Novoc Mereel

• Back with a vengeance! He/Him
« Reply #99 on: Sep 13, 2012, 03:13 PM »
I've always really liked your kit.  Looking great, ner vod!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!