Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Anja's M-DSB Helmet WIP

• 65 Replies
Anja's M-DSB Helmet WIP
« on: Apr 28, 2010, 04:40 PM »
Thought I'd get some pics up of what I have been working on...
The renowned M-DSB Mercenary  ;D

Here's it primed (Many flying dremel blades later...)

Silver base

Trashbag Mando!

Weathering tests (Toothpaste and black eyeshadow)

Oh, and a very rough concept sketch.... Colors: grey, white with black designs.
The hawk wing design is a nod to my clan MANDA'GALAAR!

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
Re: Anja's M-DSB Helmet WIP
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2010, 04:54 PM »
Good start , very cool designs too .

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2010, 05:15 PM »
Looking good!

« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2010, 07:31 PM »
Thank you both.

I'm thinking of using a turquoise or dark blue mirrored visor (I have T-visor.com currently) so if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd much appreciate it.

M-Psy

• The Mando Paparazzi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2010, 08:02 PM »
Looking good!  Can't wait to see the hawk wings done!

THERE!!! I CHANGED IT TO M-PSY!!!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 28, 2010, 09:23 PM »
Oooo.. The wings design is shiney.. I like the base silver! It's looking really good!

Cyrus Rang

• Go ahead and run...Chasing you is fun!
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: Apr 28, 2010, 09:38 PM »
I'm thinking of using a turquoise or dark blue mirrored visor (I have T-visor.com currently) so if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd much appreciate it.

Hey nice to have you back on the boards! and your bucket is looking good. Check the link in this thread and the visor on pg 2. Good luck!
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=21703.0

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #7 on: Apr 28, 2010, 09:44 PM »
I'm looking at purchasing some of this tint for my winter kit's visor: http://www.amazon.com/Gila-XCB246-X6-5-35-Xtreme-Blu/dp/B0006301FK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1272505418&sr=1-1  Having not tried it before I can't say anything about it other than it looks purty. lol

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar Mendrosè

Rion Ozryel

« Reply #8 on: Apr 28, 2010, 10:11 PM »
I used the gila mirrored tint they sell at Home Depot on my visor. Gila sells a tint called Xtreme Colors in Red, Blue and Green: http://www.gilafilms.com/Automotive/automotive-xtreme-colors.htm.

It was a little tricky to apply but once you got it on, it looks great.

Can't wait to see your bucket done!

« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2010, 06:20 AM by Rion Ozryel » Logged
« Reply #9 on: Apr 29, 2010, 12:10 PM »
That's perfect! The blue is exactly what I was looking for, thank you much!  ;D

« Reply #10 on: Apr 29, 2010, 09:43 PM »
Am I going in the right direction here? The intention is a slightly weathered look, well taken care of but has seen some action.

Cyrus Rang

• Go ahead and run...Chasing you is fun!
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #11 on: Apr 29, 2010, 09:59 PM »
Looks awesome! great job   ;D

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Apr 29, 2010, 10:28 PM »
looks very good.

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Apr 30, 2010, 01:59 AM »
Now that is some really freaking cool weathering! Mind if I steal the idea?

Riya Morut

• Ree-yuh, not rye-uh. MAJIC 019
« Reply #14 on: Apr 30, 2010, 02:06 AM »
How are you getting the "burned" look on the edges of your weathering?  It looks amazing!

Normal people never do anything of note, nothing magnificent or world-changing or on the knife-edge of risk. ~IC: 501st

Only a Mando would create a musical instrument that doubled as a weapon. ~IC: 501ST

Fanfic found here:http://mercs.

Kris Lyssara

• Call me Kris
« Reply #15 on: Apr 30, 2010, 06:34 AM »
I'd put a bit of weathering along any of the raised edges of the helmet (the outer edge of the cheeks, for example), but otherwise, it looks excellent!

My helmet's cooler than yours.  =p

Chucko

« Reply #16 on: Apr 30, 2010, 01:02 PM »
Nice work, keep it up.

« Reply #17 on: Apr 30, 2010, 01:12 PM »
That's a relief! I wasn't sure about it so much obliged for the input.  :D

Ralin: Go for it. I'm trying out techniques I learned from other vode's awesome work.
Riya: I'm using black eyeshadow, a makeup brush, and a q-tip for the burned look. Crushed charcoal (art kind) I've heard works great too.
Ceric: That would make sense.  ;)  I left it clear for the wing design but if it doesn't look "realistic" I'll brush on some silver to the edges there maybe.

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #18 on: Apr 30, 2010, 03:13 PM »
Great weathering  ;)

Cando Pax

• Legacy
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #19 on: Apr 30, 2010, 03:49 PM »
Like I told you before, it's turning out great! Keep up the good work. You're making me look back at my helmet now and think "Hmm...maybe I should have done that..."

whitecrow1

« Reply #20 on: Apr 30, 2010, 06:20 PM »
omg lol i completely missed this progress page.

you are going in pretty much the right direction from the looks of things. if you want it to have that more aged look, give her a black/grunge wash, and then followed by a beauty wash.

to do the black wash, dab a damp cloth into black paint and get rid of some of the excess on a dry cloth. use what you have on the black cloth to wipe dark grease-like markings in the creases and hard to clean spots. do the same with a light brown color. all in all it will look like too much until you hit it with the beauty wash.

the beauty wash is the final coat. do the same thing you did for the black and grunge wash, only this time with your custom color. it will make the dark areas seem like they are really in there and your armor/helmet look as though it was really used in combat

« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2010, 06:27 PM by whitecrow1 » Logged

"shoulders...you got 'em, I shot 'em"

Riya Morut

« Reply #21 on: Apr 30, 2010, 06:56 PM »

to do the black wash, dab a damp cloth into black paint and get rid of some of the excess on a dry cloth. use what you have on the black cloth to wipe dark grease-like markings in the creases and hard to clean spots. do the same with a light brown color. all in all it will look like too much until you hit it with the beauty wash.

the beauty wash is the final coat. do the same thing you did for the black and grunge wash, only this time with your custom color. it will make the dark areas seem like they are really in there and your armor/helmet look as though it was really used in combat

What kind of paint are you using?  I've done a black wash with acrylics before, but that's water-based and therefore not very permanent.  My custom colors are all spray paints, so I don't know how that would work.

Normal people never do anything of note, nothing magnificent or world-changing or on the knife-edge of risk. ~IC: 501st

Only a Mando would create a musical instrument that doubled as a weapon. ~IC: 501ST

whitecrow1

« Reply #22 on: Apr 30, 2010, 07:11 PM »
about the water-base thats not true that it wont last long, it just depends on what kind of paints you get. it is also much better to go with water over oil mainly for the fact that oil cracks and chips and is also more prone to ambering in lack of light. if you leave your helmet in the dark to long it will start to get a yellow tint.

resins used in props like the mdsb helmets are known to have minimal partical expansion in the heat and cold, and since water-based paints are latex vs. oil which are alkyds, the waterbased paints will hold up to any expanding/contracting which may occur.

"shoulders...you got 'em, I shot 'em"
« Reply #23 on: Apr 30, 2010, 08:29 PM »
Yep.  Just do a sealant coat.  Satin acrylic seal is like six bucks at walmart and it will seal and protect the acrylic and the spray paint.  I assure you it's waterproof.  no less than 60% of my bucket is hand painted with Apple brand acrylic paints, and after a sealant coat, there's not risk of it running if it gets wet.

Riya Morut

« Reply #24 on: Apr 30, 2010, 10:26 PM »
Sweet, thanks!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!