Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Capes...

• 10 Replies

Salvo Mereel

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Capes...
« on: May 23, 2010, 04:58 PM »
So I was wondering, where can I get a leather cape of backpack for my armor?  ???

Captnrex

• Why is there 6 petals for 4 directions?!?!
Re: Capes...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 07:26 PM »
hmm well heres a couple links to some capes and stuff, wasn't able to see any leather capes

http://www.shopzilla.com/capes-cloaks/8214/products
http://anniescostumes.com/capes.htm

Xelus

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 07:45 PM »
http://www.leatherlore.com/Cloaks.htm
hope that helps ya bro  ;D

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 08:04 PM »
Anything leather is going to be a bit on the expensive side. You have to figure in the cost of leather, plus the fact that most of this kind of stuff is going to be hand made, so the final price factors in work hours and whatnot. The absolute cheapest way to get a leather cape or backpack would be to buy the raw leather and make it yourself. If there's a Tandy's or other leather supplier near you, you might be able to get a deal. Or you can hit up the interwebs, up to and including ebay, to find leather skins. Another option is to try a few thrift stores nearby and look for old leather jackets that you can cut down and repurpose.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Captnrex

• Why is there 6 petals for 4 directions?!?!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 08:38 PM »
ya a couple of the sites I saw were a bit more expensive but were made for medieval time period things :P, if you want I could link them they might be able to use leather if you ask idk though lol.

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 08:39 PM »
The quickest way I can reccomend.. Get enough marine grade vinyl to be the length and color you want, then stitch/sew a lining in it (capes, especially leather, NEED to be lined to last) and then just attach it. My prefered method for attaching capes is via magnetic clasps you can find in fabric stores.

OR you can get a faux suede/leather fabric from a store, a fabric lining, sew the two, and voila.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Salvo Mereel

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 12:35 AM »
The quickest way I can reccomend.. Get enough marine grade vinyl to be the length and color you want, then stitch/sew a lining in it (capes, especially leather, NEED to be lined to last) and then just attach it. My prefered method for attaching capes is via magnetic clasps you can find in fabric stores.

OR you can get a faux suede/leather fabric from a store, a fabric lining, sew the two, and voila.

Hmmm, that idea sounds...interesting...

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 12:37 AM »
My cape can be seen in my armor thread in my sig.. It's not lined as it was cut literally the night before con, But it was just a large rectangle of fabric gathered and bunched to the clasps. and voila. Not even hemmed yet.

Unless you can't find anyone to sew, paying $59 for just straight, admitted 'bargain bin fabric' is... Not so good usually.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 12:46 AM »
Wow, until you mentioned that Ij'ika, I didn't even read the description and assumed the cloaks were leather, like the belts and pouches and whatnot. I would absolutely recommend against getting a cloak from them. It really isn't hard at all to make a hood, and bargain bin fabric never costs more than $10 total, usually just a couple bucks per yard.

Ordomereel, if your local Walmart has a fabric section, they usually have a few different types of faux leather, including my favorite 'fashion nubuck', for about $8 per yard, at 60in wide. Call it two yards to make a cape and hood, with leftover fabric. Another $4 per yard will get you duck cotton, which makes a good thick liner, and ten minutes on a sewing machine or an hour or so sewing by hand and you'll be golden. Doesn't really take any considerable skill; shab, I just finished sewing a jedi tunic from scratch by hand (the which was not fun :P) with little prior sewing experience. It's all a matter of taking things slow and double- and triple-checking your measurements and whatnot.

Dar'manda

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 267th Rapid Assault Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 02:05 PM »
If you're going to make a cape (short or full length) out of leather, Tandy is definitely the place to keep an eye on, they seem to have been running monthly specials lately where you can get a whole hide (23-26 square foot average) for dirt cheap.  you have to have a membership I believe to get their sale prices.  I also know people who have great success sometimes finding finished leather hides for cheap online from sources like ebay.

If you are going to go the pleather route- I would recommend against the marine grade vinyl.  Only because it is very stiff, and usually its reverse side has wording or logos printed on it and an unnatural texture (criss crossed reinforcing fibers usually).  It costs more, but the headliner pleather is the best stuff to use.  It is about 30 bucks a yard usually, but the material is 5 foot wide, comes in a better selection of colors and leather textures, is somewhat stretchy, softer and not stiff, and the reverse side is usually a sueded finish- meaning you don't have to line it and it will look natural.  Someone I know did a batman costume and his cape is made out of this vehicle upholstery pleather and it flows wonderfully and looks completely natural.  Joann's runs coupons a lot, so if you keep your eye out you can find a 40% off coupon and at 5 foot wide 2 yards can give you a good sized cape.

The thing to remember (and this is just my 2 cents opinion) is sometimes you really should spend that extra 20-30 bucks for a better material.  It'll look better, you'll be happier with it, and you won't end up in addition spending the money to replace it you should have just spent in the first place.

If you're going for a fabric cape, never underestimate the power of the Joann's remnant sale table.  I've had some luck finding some nice wool or cotton fabrics on sale.  I usually look for natural materials with a nice woven appearance as this fits into the Star Wars universe aesthetic.  You can also always get a monks cloth or duck cloth in a natural or light color and use RIT dye to change the color.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 12:08 AM »
If you're going for a fabric cape, never underestimate the power of the Joann's remnant sale table.  I've had some luck finding some nice wool or cotton fabrics on sale.  I usually look for natural materials with a nice woven appearance as this fits into the Star Wars universe aesthetic.  You can also always get a monks cloth or duck cloth in a natural or light color and use RIT dye to change the color.

Abso-freaking-lutely. I've gotten some amazing deals from the remnant section. It's usually when they come to the end of a roll, with less than a yard, or even something a yard or two, but just want to replace the fabric roll with a fresh one. I just picked up a little shy of a yard of dark green duck cotton for about $3 and some change a couple weeks back. More than enough for a short cape.

If you run into a fabric you really like that is too thin, you can always line it, or you can even pick up some interfacing (at least, that's what I think it's called). Basically, you iron it onto the fabric and it adheres, reinforcing the other material.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!