Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Sintra help??

• 15 Replies
Sintra help??
« on: May 31, 2010, 12:23 AM »
I have not had a chance to find sintra being a holiday weekend all the custom sign places in my town are closed until Teusday, and the fact my home pc is down (hard drive crashed). I thought I would take the time to ask what I need to form, mold, and shape sintra as I have never worked with this material before? What tools will I need and so forth?

Rules to live by
1. Do what ever it takes to get the jog done!
2. It's better to ask for forgiveness then for permission!
3. when all else fails use explosives!
4. Intelligence, quick thinking and the ability to react are your best weapons.

Riya Morut

• Ree-yuh, not rye-uh. MAJIC 019
Re: Sintra help??
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 12:27 AM »
A heat gun will be good.  If you can't get one of those, a hair dryer will do; you just have to heat the plastic longer.

Normal people never do anything of note, nothing magnificent or world-changing or on the knife-edge of risk. ~IC: 501st

Only a Mando would create a musical instrument that doubled as a weapon. ~IC: 501ST

Fanfic found here:http://mercs.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 02:49 AM »
The bare minimum tools are a razor knife to cut it and a heat gun to shape it. You can grab one at Walmart or Lowes for about $20-30. You can also cut with tin snips, though for long cuts it'll cause the sintra to crack. I usually only use snips for trimming edges and whatnot.

Alternate methods are 'baking' and 'boiling'. For the former, you put the plate in the oven on 350 for about two minutes and for the latter you boil a pot of water and dip the plate in it until it becomes flexible. If you bake it, make sure you give the oven a moment for fumes to release when you first open it. Boiling ruins the pot, as the heated plastic releases toxic chemicals, so you can't use that pot to cook food in pretty much ever again.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Zevlar Rayco

• MMCC197 M.A.J.I.C 59
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 03:05 AM »
I've discovered that a heatgun and a hot knife are just about all I need for sintra work. heat guns are usually dirt cheap from harbor freight tools and the hot knife can be found at hobby lobby or michaels.

"Let your woes become your deadliest weapons."

BLUERAM

• Awards 300 Troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 250 Troops 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 05:36 PM »
Yep harbor freight has them on sale right now for $9.99 usually $20, don't know how long the sale is.  For large peices I have been using a small space heater( the kind with the glowing nichrome wire) with the elements face up.  Does a wonderful job but you have to remove some of the safety features to do this, namely the tip-over cut out and I also removed the HI-temp shut off.  Definitely not the safest thing to use but,  as long as you don't leave it unattended you should be fine.

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 06:02 PM »
Which is on sale the heat gun or the hot knifes I was just at my local Harbor freight and the heat gun was like $40 what wattage heat gun is preferable to use on sintra.

Rules to live by

BLUERAM

• Awards 300 Troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 250 Troops 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 09:04 PM »
Sorry, the heat gun.  They have 2 that I saw here locally: 1 usually $20 and 1 around $40.  I bought the cheap one a 1500 watt model with 2 power settings  122-570 F and 1112F.  I only briefly tested the gun and found that the low setting is more than enough to form sintra

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 10:00 PM »
Cool my pick one up but a cowork bought one for a one time project and is going to give it to me if she can find it. I am off on Wed and hope to find a local sign company that uses sintra so I can purchase some.  Have to buy a new dremil too my cat chewed my cord in two so that has also set me back.

Rules to live by

BLUERAM

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 11:24 PM »
You know you can just replace the cord (or repair with butt-splices and tape)

Salvo Mereel

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 11:26 PM »
Never, EVER make butt armor, it's...stressfull...  :-X

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 11:33 PM »
Well its like this the cord it uses  has a built in voltage regulator. its the mini from Harbor Freight and tool and its actualy in twom pieces and the cat chewed the voltage regulato cord in to two pieces and it gives me an excuse to but a larger more powerfull unit.

Rules to live by

Zevlar Rayco

• MMCC197 M.A.J.I.C 59
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #11 on: Jun 01, 2010, 01:03 AM »
as the toolman woud say MORE POWER! (insert gorilla grunts here)

"Let your woes become your deadliest weapons."
« Reply #12 on: Jun 05, 2010, 12:36 PM »
Have a new more powerful dremel actually its a black and decker rotary tool and it works better than my original. Still looking for a sintra supplier found one who is not to expensive but am still looking. Also purchased a heat gun with an accessory pack and a 5 -1 hobby tool kit which is a hot knife as well as a soldering iron. So I hope to pick up working on jet pack real soon.

Rules to live by

Dar Kyram

• Kyr'bes'alor
  • Mini-Mack the Mando MacNugget
  • Awards Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #13 on: Jun 05, 2010, 11:04 PM »
If you have difficulty finding sintra, I suggest trash can. It's the way I went for my armor.

I'm Official Merc Member 220!

Gooble gooble gooble!
« Reply #14 on: Jun 05, 2010, 11:08 PM »
My armor is complete for the most part, I am needing flat peices to make my jet pack so its not too heavy. I have found that with my design trash cans are to curved.

Rules to live by

Dar Kyram

• Kyr'bes'alor
  • Mini-Mack the Mando MacNugget
  • Awards Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #15 on: Jun 05, 2010, 11:23 PM »
Oh, okay

I'm Official Merc Member 220!

Gooble gooble gooble!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!